PDA

View Full Version : "Hot scissors" update!

Gypsygirl
December 10th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I promised to keep you updated, so here goes:

I love the hot scissors! I really do, even though I was so scared in the beginning! My hairdresser- who is also my friend or I never would have let her touch my hair with that thing- not only uses the scissors to trim my ends but she also lets them "slide" over the length very carefully. After two trims, I hardly get any split ends anymore! I never get a lot, but now I have to look for a very long time if I want to find one! :) I also think that my hair looks healthier and it is extremely...I don't know...smooth? Hard to describe...but I like this! :cheese:

The only thing that I'm not too happy about is the fact that those scissors leave tiny white dots... I guess that's because the ends are kind of "sealed" by the heat. I am blonde, so it's not a big deal but I think if you have dark hair you might not want to try this.

alys
December 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
what are they? tell us more?

Gypsygirl
December 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry! Here you go:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=24340

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25083

alys
December 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
sweet im gonna check them out....

paperwhite
December 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Um, do they look like the tiny white dots you might see when a hair breaks? I'd be kind of wary of using something on my hair that's so hot it melts/burns it... I don't mean any offense if it works for you, but it sounds pretty damaging.

Gypsygirl
December 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
They only leave dots where they cut...not all over the length, but yes, that's what they look like. I know they are kind of scary... ;)

Wavelength
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
White dots are damage as far as I know... even if they're just on the ends. Means the hair is about to split at that point. But if you like it, great.

SimplyViki
December 10th, 2009, 08:43 AM
They only leave dots where they cut...not all over the length, but yes, that's what they look like. I know they are kind of scary... ;)
Doesn't it stand to reason that the white dots from where they cut are because it damaged the hair at that particular spot...? What else would they be from?

Wavelength
December 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Doesn't it stand to reason that the white dots from where they cut are because it damaged the hair at that particular spot...? What else would they be from?

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's because the hair is "sealed". Hair isn't made of wax or synthetic fiber; it doesn't melt.

As for white dots, I have some of those too, right at the ends of my hair. If I leave them alone then they stay little dots for awhile, but eventually they start to split and the splits get bigger and travel upward. So IMO white dots still means damage.

MommaRalph
December 10th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Sounds great to me actually! I'm subscribing to this thread because I want to know if you develop more splits or not...

Valerie

heynormy
December 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Don't the hot scissors seal the cuticle at the spot that it is cut? I'm guessing that's where the white dot comes from. I don't need anymore white dots, but if it works for you keep it up!

LisaButz2001
December 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I vote white dots = damage, sorry, but I think they're a gymick, not going to risk them.

SandyStar
December 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I also think it is a gimmick and that white dots are damage. Hair doesn't melt, it burns.

Athena's Owl
December 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
white dot = split end about to happen. i think this hot scissors thing isn't as advertised.

BunnyBee
December 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry but I have to say it's quite obvious your hair stylist doesn't understand the structure of human hair... You cannot 'seal' the ends with heat because hair does not melt. If you heated up steel and put it to your skin it would BURN and that is what the 'Thermocut' does to your hair. White dots are damage. You may have gone in with a few splits, but now every hair that was cut has a split end.
I would suggest a microtrim with regular hair shears to stop the damage travelling upwards.

I'm betting that 'Thermocut' is more pricey than a regular cut too..

teela1978
December 10th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work... hair is mostly keratin, which I'm sure can burn... but also can probably denature at certain (higher) temperatures. A nice blob of re-hardened unwound keratin probably makes for a nice shield at the tip.

Aerith
December 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Wow I hadn't heard of this until now! I didn't think it really made sense either, but I did some research and came across this page:

http://www.thermo-cut.com/gb/index.html

It has some pictures of hair strands supposedly cut without using this new method, and hair strands supposedly cut with the hot scissors method. It does seem too good to be true though.

However, I really hope it works for you! Please keeps us updated. :)

BunnyBee
December 10th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Wow I hadn't heard of this until now! I didn't think it really made sense either, but I did some research and came across this page:

http://www.thermo-cut.com/gb/index.html

It has some pictures of hair strands supposedly cut without using this new method, and hair strands supposedly cut with the hot scissors method. It does seem too good to be true though.

To be honest those pictures of the 'thermocut' hair don't look like human hair... In all other microscopic hair pictures I've seen (even newborn baby hair), there are visible scales. Unless that pic has been photoshopped to look unnaturally smooth...

I can't actually find where on the website is says specifically HOW the ends are sealed. "With heat" isn't a good enough answer for me. Something has to melt in order to cover the ends of the hair. If there is no product being applied then something in the hair itself has to melt, which as far as I can see is not possible.

Also some of the other claims they make on the site seem rather strange:

" Fine hair will be given more volume
Split hair will become healthy and
more resistant
Permed hair will be given
more elasticity"

How are they expecting to change the structure and elasticity throughout the length of hair just by snipping the ends? :confused:

There is actually no mention in their 'expert's opinion' of the hair being from a human...

Gypsygirl
December 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM
However, I really hope it works for you! Please keeps us updated. :)

I will, thanks! :)

Igor
December 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not convinced it's because the hair is "sealed". Hair isn't made of wax or synthetic fiber; it doesn't melt.

As for white dots, I have some of those too, right at the ends of my hair. If I leave them alone then they stay little dots for awhile, but eventually they start to split and the splits get bigger and travel upward. So IMO white dots still means damage.

What she said

I’m glad you are happy with your hair, but unfortunately all evidence points to that it does more harm than good at trimming and you will be going back for more trims to get rid of the damage it created soon

Anlbe
December 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I used the hot hot scissors once, they worked well for me but the hair dressers closed down. I'm not entirely sure if I got fewer split ends but I definitely didn't get more. On the anti heat thing, I'm not convinced. My grandmother had the most amazing long hair and she had her hair singed, it used to be a common way to treat long hair.

Gypsygirl
August 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Another update...

Well...I did end up getting a lot more split ends, so you girls were probably right about those white dots. I also didn't really like the way my layers looked anymore...too chunky. So...yesterday I went to get a trim. Complete with razors and what have you..and what can I say? My ends haven't looked and felt this good in months. :) No more hot scissors for me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6087&pictureid=79517

RadiantNeedle
August 16th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Not sure I really understand why this would work, either. Hot metal expands, thus it would conceivably be more blunt, giving you a worse cut? Hmm..

Igor
August 16th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Uhm, you had a razor trim?

I’m sorry, but if that’s true, you will probably be back to get that damage trimmed off as well
Razors are used to purposely mess up the surface to create volume

The least damaging way to get a trim is to cut the hair strands straight across so you leave as little of the hair strands inside left exposed. And with a sharp scissor, not a heated one or a razor

Another update...

Well...I did end up getting a lot more split ends, so you girls were probably right about those white dots. I also didn't really like the way my layers looked anymore...too chunky. So...yesterday I went to get a trim. Complete with razors and what have you..and what can I say? My ends haven't looked and felt this good in months. :) No more hot scissors for me.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6087&pictureid=79517

UltraBella
August 17th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I have to disagree with you, Igor, if a razor trim is done correctly and with a new blade, it is not any more damaging than a trim with scissors. Razors can create volume by adding hidden layers to the hair, underneath the canopy, but nothing is done to the surface of the hair strands themselves, except where the end is cut. You can achieve a straight cut just the same as with scissors, it does not have to cut at an angle. My hair has been cut with a razor for over ten years and I do not have damage or split ends. I love the whispy blended layers that a razor can achieve. I own two salons and the only time I have seen damage from a razor is when a stylist is cheap and re-uses a razor, they dull immediately and then require more tension to cut which can damage the hair or they leave a ragged end. There is no excuse for a stylist not using a fresh razor every time. The same damage will happen with dull scissors.
Gypsygirl, enjoy your new cut, your ends look great :) I am so glad you have moved on from the Thermocuts, I think they are a potentially harmful gimmick.

christine1989
August 17th, 2010, 12:49 AM
I have never heard of "hot scissors" before but they sound great!

Gypsygirl
August 17th, 2010, 01:03 AM
My hair has been cut with a razor for over ten years and I do not have damage or split ends. I love the whispy blended layers that a razor can achieve.

Same here! :) Thanks for your concern, though, Igor, much appreciated! :flower:
Thank you, too, UltraBella! :) I'm so glad you joined us here! :)

Igor
August 17th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I have never heard of "hot scissors" before but they sound great!

Didn’t you read the thread? :confused: