PDA

View Full Version : Blunt to remove layering?

kdm310911
March 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I have slightly past the shoulder somewhat layered hair (layers in front start at the chin and go down, and some short layers in the crown that tick me off almost daily)

I was thinking that come the warmer weather, to help close the gap and get rid of ALL the layers (and let those stupid short ones grow out faster), I would blunt my hair at my chin. It would relieve me of about 90% of my layering, and that would definitely make me feel better, but I wouldn't be able to ponytail hair at my chin if I got on my nerves.

What length can hair be ponytailed into a little stub? (I don't really have an answer for when mine was stub-able because it was millions of different links), I could blunt it a few inches below the chin, and that would be mostly layerless, and maybe be put into a stub?

Has anyone ever done the "chop to remove layers" thing? The short layers drive me nuts, so the less of a gap they have to grow to, the better it is. Lol.

But yeah, my hair frustrates me sometimes because I want it all one length and I figure a few months of a blunt cut that's too short to tail is worth it in the long run to remove the horrid short layering faster. It's not a lot of my hair, but the short layers are pretty short -- like 1" above my ear or something. Pretty bad. I want them gone, so would a chin length or slightly longer blunt in like May or so be a good plan? :)

nowxisxforever
March 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Try this: Pull your hair into a ponytail, put your finger just above the spot where you'd tie the ponytail, and then let your hair down - this is the point at which it needs to be probably half an inch longer than to pull it into a tiny baby ponytail. :)

OhioLisa
March 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM
In my opinion, I would think of it this way. If you are bugged by the short layers, and it's not even that much of your hair, how annoyed will you be when ALL your hair is that length? I think you might just be better off waiting a while before trying to even it out. Just my :twocents:

kdm310911
March 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
You see the layering that drives me nuts is the short layering up in the crown, like 1" above my ears. It's not much, it's not much hair at all. I would just be cutting my hair to my chin, not up to the very short layers. The idea would be so the very short layers catch up easier.

Mahars
March 9th, 2008, 10:37 PM
In my opinion, I would think of it this way. If you are bugged by the short layers, and it's not even that much of your hair, how annoyed will you be when ALL your hair is that length? I think you might just be better off waiting a while before trying to even it out. Just my :twocents:

I totally agree. I've been growing out some terrible layers and "texturizing" for a couple of months now and I'm finding that as the layers get longer, they blend into the rest of my hair better. Plus I get to keep my length. I would try to wait it out and see how it looks in a few weeks.

share801
March 10th, 2008, 12:19 AM
The part you want to cut is not the part that is bothering you, so I don't think cutting will help.

addikted
March 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Well, not sure if this will help but I have so far resisted The Chop to get rid of my layers, so now I have lovely artificial fairytale ends. There is always a silver lining somewhere

maskedrose
March 10th, 2008, 01:11 AM
I agree with OhioLisa and others - maybe just wait awhile for the shorter layers to become more manageable. I started the growing process with layers up to my crown, and let me tell you - waiting was difficult but proved to be worth it. Now my shortest layer is a bit above shoulder length and very manageable. I'm waiting until I reach my goal of waist length to really start getting rid of all the layers, but to each his/her own. If you feel you must chop, at least wait a couple weeks to make sure you happy with your decision :)

aisling
March 10th, 2008, 02:48 AM
My experience of a chin length bob is that it's cute but irritating. I've never had another hairlength that got into so much, it fell into my mouth, my eyes, everything and it wasn't long enough to put up, the only thing I could use was a headband or small clips to pull my hair back a little. Never again :)

Katze
March 10th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I'm another one that says don't cut. I'm also growing out layers (some are chin, some are shoulder, but my whole length is also one mess of tapering layers that look really bad if I pull them all together). With 'cones and hair gel, and if I wear my hair down and it's freshly washed, they aren't really noticeable. But braids taper down to thinner than a pencil.

While I have been trimming the length to try to get more thickness, yet still dealing with see-through ends, part of me thinks of doing what you suggest. But, as others mention, that length (on me) would be so annoying, and it would be another 5-7 years before my hair gets to the length it's at again, that I don't do it.

If thickness is your goal and you don't mind being short again, or if your hair grows really fast, then maybe cutting isn't so bad. I just know from personal experience that waiting and waiting to grow is frustrating...

good luck!

Katze

SaveTheTapirs
March 10th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I guess you have to decide which is worse: having awkward layers for a while, or having a bob (which, in my experience, feels like it takes forever to grow out). If it were me, I would get small trims every now and then to even out the layers gradually. It's not quite as satisfying as an all-in-one chop, but it will get you there, and without the feelings of remorse. With small trims, you'll still be making noticeable progress, and maybe it will sort of calm the urge to chop.

FrannyG
March 10th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I'm not going to say don't cut. If you want a nice new start and if that will make you happy, then get the bob. It will grow out nicely from there.

If your hair is ticking you off daily because of the layers, and the cut will relieve 90% of them, go do it. If you're not enjoying your hair, it's just not worth it. However, having said that, don't go and cut it right away.

Please, please implement the 2-week rule. Wait 2 weeks, and if you're 100 per cent sure you want to do it, get the cut. If you're still undecided after 2 weeks, then wait another 2 weeks.

That way you'll know that you really are doing what you want to do, and that it's not an emotional impulse decision that you'll regret.

I wish you the very best. :flowers:

Lize
March 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Hi there! I actually did the chop in August 2007 to get rid of my layers. I did not have to chop back to chin though, it was more like 17". Now I would say that I am back at the length that I chopped. (About 21") I do not regret the decision to get rid of the layers. My hair looked so much thicker afterwards and it was a real joy to grow it out again. I would have gotten rid of them eventually anyway, and I really wanted the blunt cut. So if you feel that having a blunt cut is really important to you then go ahead and do it! Otherwise as the others have said you can always minitrim until the layers are gone! That way you won't lose as much length at once.

Here's my story in pictures:

Before:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/00before.jpg

After:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/01after.jpg http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/00after.jpg

Now:
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/00now.jpg

Silver & Gold
March 10th, 2008, 06:19 AM
I got myself into a cycle with this thinking. Everytime I grow my hair I do this to myself. First I can't stand the layers and blunt it up. Then at a certain stage the blunt is too heavy and ugly so I trim in a few layers.
I've done this for years and never get past shoulder length for this reason.
This time around I'm taking a different tactic. My hair is nearly the same length as yours and with layers except that the shortest layers are now blissfully at chin length. I got past the stage you are in by wearing my hair up with hairsticks. But it doesn't have to be hairsticks. Anyway you like to wear it up will work. French twists work surprisingly well.
As for the short layers, I let them come out a bit. I've been told by the men in my life that it looks kinda sexy anyway.
My advise is to find a way to get yourself past this stage without cutting.
I vowed only to do 1/4 inch microtrims every 6 months just to keep it looking in good shape. I think I fudged and trimmed at about 4 or 5 months but I cut less than 1/4 inch.
It's tough getting past this stage but if you give in and cut now, you may find that you never get past this stage because frankly, whether it's layers or blunt, this is a tough stage to grow past. So my advice is just to start finding ways to wear it up now and don't think about how your hair looks when it's down until it gets past a certain stage.

UrbanEast
March 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I can understand how chopping would be satisfying. But I think that there are advantages to layers--short layers in front make updos/ponytails a lot more flattering, for example. And remember that many women here have "fairy tale ends" even at longer lengths.

And don't forget that while the layers are frustrating to you, others usually just think of your longest layer as the length of your hair. So, if you don't chop, it will only be a few months before people think of you as the "long haired girl."

But if you decide to chop, I agree with taking two weeks to think about it. The frustration might pass.

loves2spin
March 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
And as time goes on, you might enjoy your "fairy-tale ends"! I started with rather short hair. I am blessed to not have split ends, so no trims have been needed, and I really enjoy the sort of natural look that the layering has made as it's gotten longer. I'd wait and see how you feel later.

Bloodflower
March 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
In my opinion there is something else to be considered apart from the layers: You say your hair is a little past shoulder length now. For most people, growing hair past their shoulders is difficult because the hair constantly touches the shoulders, which causes damage. If you cut all your hair back to chin length, all your hair has to grow past that diffult stage again.

This is perhaps worth considering if your hair is prone to damage and spilts.

MercyD
March 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm in the "do not cut" category. Only because I have been considering what you are about to do and, for myself, came to the conclusion that it won't help.

I too have layers from above my ears (very top layers) to shoulder length. And it IS irritating. But going shorter when what I really want is longer......:rolleyes:

I decided against it. I'm going to try to suffer through until my hair gets a little longer. Your decision, but I urge you to reconsider;)

spidermom
March 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I know you're doing to do what you want to do anyway, but here's what I think: wait until the fall. You're going to want to be able to pull it back into a ponytail during the summer.

I've always cut back to get rid of layers when growing out hair, but I'd wait until the shortest layer was at shoulder-length.

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
i had 2 major layers in the back and have just cut to the longest one, im 22" and plan to wait until my final layer is BSL and then i will even things up again, it would have been too much of a shock for me to cut whilst still shoulder, but if your happy doing this then go for it, just remember the 2 week rule hun!

jojo
March 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I know you're doing to do what you want to do anyway, but here's what I think: wait until the fall. You're going to want to be able to pull it back into a ponytail during the summer.

I've always cut back to get rid of layers when growing out hair, but I'd wait until the shortest layer was at shoulder-length.

like your new addi spidermom, very Grecian!

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Let the layers grow then at a longer length cut them out.

TiaKitty
September 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
It has been 5 years since she's asked this question. I HOPE she's made up her mind by now!

melusine963
September 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
It has been 5 years since she's asked this question. I HOPE she's made up her mind by now!

I think the previous poster is frantically trying to increase her number of posts. Every few months she runs out of current threads to comment on so she goes digging through the older ones, even if they're dead as dodos.

kitschy
September 23rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
jacqueline101, are you okay, sweetheart?

TiaKitty
September 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
She does it on other sites, as well... It is a pattern.