PDA

View Full Version : Calorimetry Help!

Nightshade
December 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
So I've had a Calorimetry for two winters now, and over the course of that time it seems to have gotten longer :( It doesn't fit snugly, and to top it off I lost the button (easy enough to replace, that isn't the issue). To make it tight enough, I've been pulling the end that should have the button through the button hole and then tucking the tail in the back side of the Calorimetry. The problem with this is that it mats my nape hair.

I've tried sending it through the dryer on Solar Flare in hopes of shrinking it a bit to no avail. I know nothing about knitting or crocheting (I couldn't even tell you by which method mine was made!), so... does anyone have advice on how I can tighten this up? I love the texture and the yarn, so I'm not keen on getting a new one.

Edited to add pic! This is before it stretched out.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1726&pictureid=20662

Carolyn
December 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Could you set the button over farther when you sew a new one on?

little_acorn
December 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Could you set the button over farther when you sew a new one on?

That would be my suggestion too

Nightshade
December 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I tried doing that, but because I have to move it over so far the button then sits way off center, and I still have a long tail to tuck (about 4 inches worth). If I fold the tail up and tack it with thread, it's shorter, but then I have a knot pressing into the base of my skull. :(

ETA at this point if I put one end at the nape of my neck, the other wraps so the other end is resting on my ear, if that gives an idea of the distance relative to my head.

elianne
December 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Nightshade! Do you know what fibers the yarn is made of? I'm guessing from the stretch that you're describing (which is pretty common among calorimetries, btw, because of the ribbed nature) that it's made of some sort of cotton or cotton blend? I have a few ideas on how to de-bloat your calforimetry but it would help to know if it's mainly wool, cotton, or acrylic? :)

melikai
December 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Could you sew a seam, taking in the excess material, along the top center, then just clip away the extra? If you use zigzag scissors, it will make it unravel less, and will make less of a bump on the seam.

elianne
December 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Could you sew a seam, taking in the excess material, along the top center, then just clip away the extra? If you use zigzag scissors, it will make it unravel less, and will make less of a bump on the seam.

This is one of the ideas I was thinking of, too... it might help to track down a knitter/crocheter if you're going to do this though. You can ask him/her to crochet a seam chain, the same way you would crochet a reinforcement for a steek. That would provide extra insurance if you do go the cutting route... (every time I take scissors to a knit object I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack, so extra insurance is always good. ;) )

Tabitha
December 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
What about a second button to balance the first?

Rain
December 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'd suggest a second button too. Just button it over a bit more. It might start looking weird. I'm not sure.

Furiana
December 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
What about a second button to balance the first?

That's what I was thinking!

ETA: A double-breasted calorimetry! What's next, military style with epaulets? :silly:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4849/calorimetry.jpg http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2144/calorimetryepaulets.jpg

Hypnotica
December 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
It is knitted and the ribbing method used are prone to stretching. And if it's an acrylic yarn - well, they don't shrink...

SHELIAANN1969
December 10th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I have a Calorimetry that stretched out within the first couple of uses, so I think the yarn was just a stretchy yarn, I had to move the button and ended up with the same *excess* tail. I think I will add a second button as well, I never even thought of that as an option, duhhhhh.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
It's a wonderful yarn called suede-something, I can't wear a lot of knit fibers as they make my skin freak out, so they have to be very, very soft.

I like the second button idea! That may make it look better. I'll give it a go and will keep you posted!

Ursula
December 10th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Another option might be to unravel it and re-knit, on smaller needles to make a tighter knit.

Since I'm allergic to wool, I made my caloriemetery out of acrylic yarn. For extra warmth (since it is acrylic) I did it double - I knit the pattern once, then used the last row knit to start the pattern over again with a different colored yarn. I then knit the second attached to the first. When it was done, the two halves fitted together neatly, and I sewed the starting edge of the first to the bind-off edge of the second. This also seemed to cut down on stretching, as the fabric was thicker and somewhat reinforced. If you re-knit with your original yarn, and then did the second with a non-stretchy yarn, to be the inside (hidden) fabric, you may be able to keep the yarn you like but have a better made caloriemetery.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Ursula- I consider myself a woman of many talents, but sadly knitting or crocheting isn't counting among them :(

UncommonTart
December 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hats (and hat-type things) seem to be prone to stretching (At least, all of mine do. Maybe I just have a big head.), and ribbed stich patterns stretch anyhow. I think that you should be able to fix this, though. The zig-zag stitching idea sounds like it might work, but I have another idea that you might like to try first.

Polyester yarn (which I think most ultra-suede yarns are, and I'm assuming yours is as well) will not shrink, but I have had some sucess re-blocking it in the past. Calorimetry sounds like an ideal project to try that on. Wash it, (or if it's just been washed recently, get it good and wet) lay it out flat, and give it a good bit of a stretch all along both of the long edges. This should make it get a bit wider and shorter. Then, once it's the shape you want, leave it to dry flat. It's true that this works best with animal fibers, but I've been able to re-block man-made fibers before, and it's easy enough to be worth a shot.

I would not reccommend the sew and cut idea with this pattern, but if you wanted to try it two rows of stitching would not be a bad idea.

If you succeed in getting it back to the size that you want, lining it with something less stretchy might offer a bit more stabilty to prevent you from having to do it all again. Polarfleece would probably work, and it would require minimal seaming.

Nightshade
December 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM
That's another good idea, to block it and then line it :) I can't knit, but I can sew!

Altocumulus
December 10th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Sounds like Berroco Suede, which is a lovely but non-wooly yarn, so you probably won't be able to reblock it smaller. I would go with the second button...I think that's a great idea!

Rain
December 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds like Berroco Suede, which is a lovely but non-wooly yarn, so you probably won't be able to reblock it smaller. I would go with the second button...I think that's a great idea!

Or Lion Suede or similar. When I've used that type of yarn, the final product stretches once and never pops back. It's got no natural stretch and is prone to snapping if your tension is slightly tight while knitting. Frustrating.

Furiana, that was hilarious.

florenonite
December 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I like the idea of a double-breasted calorimetry, though the epaulettes are a bit overkill :p

Nightshade
December 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
LOL Well I think I'll be able to stretch a second button hole in it. You guys are amazing! Hopefully I'll be able to score some buttons (and pics) this weekend :D

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I would stitch the ends under on both sides and work with a new button hole Also, to keep it from stretching more, you might want to take some matching yarn (something non-stretchy) and whip stitch around the entire thing. =)

Clarisse
December 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have wanted to get a calorimetry for a long time, but I didn't go and get one, because I thought that it would just stretch and then be useless... I crocheted a couple of headbands as a little girl, and they would all stretch and become too big - and then my mom would get them, or I would use tham as matrasses for my dolls :P
Do you know a place where you can get a non-stretching calorimetry, that's made out of some kind of acrylic fiber (since wool makes me itch)?

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think that if a non-stretchy stitch was done around the edge, it would help with that. I will be doing a crab stitch around the edges of my next ones and if it helps, I will post here. A crab stitch is a single crochet done backwards rather than normal. It makes a neat looking edge so I hope that will do the trick. I love this woman's videos. She explains very well. I looked at her directions to get help with increasing and decreasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DPQw2Dykg

The other solution, like I posted before, would be to take a non-stretchy yarn or thick thread and reinforce the edges of any cali you buy.

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I PM'd you :) If you need more help you can mail it to me and I will fix it for you :heartbeat

dajanchen
December 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
My first knitted calorimetry was huge, I stitched both ends under the sides. If you make a second hole for the bottom, you can make a thin lining with soft fleece too, which is not stretchy... This will hold the stitches together. Besides you´ll get warm ears and it´s draftproof.:D

PseudoScot
December 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Haha Furiana, best images ever. I think the ideas mentioned in here already are good ones.

Thegreenkiwi
December 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I've just done some patch up work on my crochet caliometry. When I made it, I ran out of the preferred colour (a speckled black) and used a brown that formed the back from the ears back - over time it's really stretched. Today I found some more black (slightly different) and took off the brown back (it was actually wide all round like the top since I was only new to crochet and didn't really know how to increase or decrease (on purpose that is lol). So today I made two triangles and stitched them on, overlapped the ends where they would have stretched to and stitched it all up rather than attaching a button. I figure if it stretches more I'll just unpick it and restitch where needed.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I saw a knitted one that just tied in the back and it looked okay. I don't like sliding things over my hair if I have buns in, so I opted for the button.

Thegreenkiwi
December 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Oh good point about having to slide it over an up-do. I guess I only wear mine as a hairband when my hair is down, so it's there all day.

ravenreed
December 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Yep, I am only wearing mine as a "can't wear a hat because I have hair sticks poking out, but still need warm ears in winter" thing.

Hedera
December 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
For those who can knit (or know someone who does), an alternative to the calorimetry is the Panta.

Pattern can be found in several places (like Ravelry), for instance here (http://fyberduck.wordpress.com/designs/3-finnish-pantas/).

Because the rib runs the other way, it doesn't stretch out nearly as easily as the calorimetry.
It's very easy to knit, and very comfortable to wear; I've had mine for years now.

khan
December 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the link Hedera. I made a plain one last month & really like it. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/86-10-headband-in-alaska Made it in an evening I think. Fyberduck has a variation with cables. I looove cables.

melrose1985
December 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
i really need to get one of these...

Carolyn
December 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Oh I like the panta pattern. Thanks for sharing the link. I love my Calorimetries but it would be fun a have something a little different.

Nightshade
December 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Woot! I got two buttons this weekend and got one on. I'll try to get the other on tonight and we'll see how this double-breasted thing works.

If that fails I'm taking you up on your offer Cherry Sprinkle!

ravenreed
December 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Crochet panta for those who are better at hooking than needling:

http://www.nexstitch.com/pat_honey.html

=D

Nightshade
December 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
The two-button idea worked! :cheer:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4503&pictureid=57916

little_acorn
December 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
The two-button idea worked! :cheer:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/th_DoubleBUtton2.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/DoubleBUtton2.jpg)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/th_DoubleButton1.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/SaliceMalkin/DoubleButton1.jpg)

:cheese: well done it looks great :D

Nightshade
December 15th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Yay! Thank you :D I had nice warm ears this morning.

Tabitha
December 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Glad it worked :thumbsup:

UncommonTart
December 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Yay! I'm glad you've got it fixed.

Stacy_E
December 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I remember your calorimetry, Nightshade. As I recall, it's made of Lion Suede yarn, and it inspired me to make my own in Lion Suede. It really is soft, comfy stuff. Glad to hear you were able to fix yours to make it smaller.

Nightshade
December 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Utterly off-topic, but Stacy E, your hair is amazing. I hope mine looks so beautiful when it goes silver. :pray: