PDA

View Full Version : Hair/job compatability?

enfys
December 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Does anyone else have a job that disagrees with long hair? I don't mean by dress codes, I mean the actual job requirements.

I've started working in a model making workshop and because of solvents being sprayed and clouds of dust from sanding we have to take various masks on and off through the day and switch to whatever is most comfortable. The more heavy duty masks have wide rubber strips that fix snuggly around the back to your head.

I already had to wrap the straps with masking tape because the seams were snagging and it was all I had to hand. It's a pain to get the back secured around a hairstick, but a stick bun is easier to re-do in a hurry. Braids tucked into clothes are too itchy. Goggles tangle into my hair near my ears.

It never crossed my mind this job would be damaging to my hair; friction from rubber wasn't part of my career plan!

Since I look pretty dishevelled in work I know it's affecting my hair at least by pulling strands loose.

Does anyone else find this with their work? What career path are you on and how do you make it hair friendly? Again, I don't mean dress codes as such, more health and safety wear codes.

teela1978
December 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Have you tried covering your hair with a scarf or a bandana or something similar to keep the masks/goggles from pulling? The only times I've had to use such apparatuses I had a hair covering as well which definitely helped with hair-grabbiness of those rubber things.

My current job is pretty long hair friendly. I put it up and forget about it. If its down it can be an issue, but there's usually a stick of some sort around.

motormuffin
December 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
You could try this...Bouffant Hat (http://www.mcmaster.com/#5583t17/=4v13fo)...look at the picture up on the page.
I have a messy shop...I don't go down there anymore but this is what I could see you using. You could pin it at the front and put your hair in it...then put a band like a pony in the back so its not floppy.

teela1978
December 9th, 2009, 03:44 PM
You could try this...Bouffant Hat (http://www.mcmaster.com/#5583t17/=4v13fo)...look at the picture up on the page.

That's what we wore... it was a level 3 biohazard facility though, you might be able to get by with something more reusable. Worked pretty well under goggle straps.

enfys
December 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I so intensely do not want that to be my only option! I think it may be though...Now I know why no-on else there has hair past their collar.

I always forget but what is the site that shows ways to tie a scarf creatively? All I can remember is that they have a load of thumbnails.

mira-chan
December 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I so intensely do not want that to be my only option! I think it may be though...Now I know why no-on else there has hair past their collar.

I always forget but what is the site that shows ways to tie a scarf creatively? All I can remember is that they have a load of thumbnails.
It's the Tznius site (http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/tying.pl) that has the various scarf styles.

I have the same type of hair environment as teela, up and forget it, but down is a hazard.

motormuffin
December 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM

I suppose you could make your own like it. The elastic seems to help more than just tying a bandana on. My husband just shaves his head so nothing sticks to his hair. The other guys will wear the whole suit with the hood. Any guys with hair had it in a pony under the hood. I think you can get some grey colored ones through grainger but they usually cost more.

enfys
December 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM
That's the one! Thanks Mira. It's bookmarked this time.

Loose is really too hazardous. I wouldn't even wear a braid unless it was inside my clothes, tucked under my bra strap. There are extractor fans and machines everywhere so I would get scalped. Scary.

JamieLeigh
December 9th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I'm a mom of five, and my long hair is VERY incompatible with my job, lol. If I ever try to wear it down, by lunchtime it's up just because I'm tired of pushing it out of the way. Or getting it pulled. :(

Pierre
December 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM
How about a bun on top of your head? Or securing it with a Flexi or a hair scroo?

My job doesn't care about long hair. I sit at a desk and draw on the computer.

Lamb
December 9th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Garlands of Grace have some pretty good, roomy snoods that fit nicely and securely.
http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/one-of-a-kind/megs-snood/
(They have lots more, this is one example of the Meg's Snood.) Perhaps this would work as a protective covering?

enfys
December 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.envcoglobal.com/files/MO-DAL-8111.jpg

This kind of shows what the worst culprit is like. There is an extra strap just above the nape, but the main thing goes over the head without much room to spare. I just have to get it on and sit there like it's WWII if someone hasn't pre-warned us they'll be spraying things.

I read the instructions and for it to function the seal has to be very tight around you; it actually says if you aren't clean shaven it may not protect you! Not an issue for me, but it gives and idea of how unforgiving these monsters are.

I'm actually thinking now pigtails crossed at the nape a couple of times might be best in terms of fitting around my hair. I'm also thinking that the bulk of a scarf may actually be enough to stop the seal being tight, if stubble can! The top part by the nose may not sit right.

florenonite
December 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
http://www.envcoglobal.com/files/MO-DAL-8111.jpg

This kind of shows what the worst culprit is like. There is an extra strap just above the nape, but the main thing goes over the head without much room to spare. I just have to get it on and sit there like it's WWII if someone hasn't pre-warned us they'll be spraying things.

I read the instructions and for it to function the seal has to be very tight around you; it actually says if you aren't clean shaven it may not protect you! Not an issue for me, but it gives and idea of how unforgiving these monsters are.

I'm actually thinking now pigtails crossed at the nape a couple of times might be best in terms of fitting around my hair. I'm also thinking that the bulk of a scarf may actually be enough to stop the seal being tight, if stubble can! The top part by the nose may not sit right.

Are you my mummy? :p

If you're worried about the seal, I'd say that a scarf should be away from your face. You could probably still tie a scarf around behind your ears, though.

You could also maybe try a tucked-under French braid? It's nice and flat, stays where it is, but isn't scratchy like a braid tucked under your shirt would be.

motormuffin
December 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM
My husband actually has callouses under his eyes from wearing a respirator for years and years. His brain still works though. :)

From mira's link, the one on the bottom right looks like it would work pretty good. Nice and compact. http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=30

enfys
December 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Are you my mummy? :p

If you're worried about the seal, I'd say that a scarf should be away from your face. You could probably still tie a scarf around behind your ears, though.

You could also maybe try a tucked-under French braid? It's nice and flat, stays where it is, but isn't scratchy like a braid tucked under your shirt would be.

Right, that's a reason to really learn to French braid.

I have an awful feeling I'll need to go in early one morning and hide in the loo trying these things.

Could I make the mask hairsafe? Sewing satin ribbon over the parts that make contact with my hair? The adjustor buckles are at the front...

I wouldn't be so worried if the cupboards weren't covered with orange and black skull and crossbones. :eek:

Anje
December 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
This sounds like a job for a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/pony-scrub-hats/cotton-disposable/) hat, to me. In any case, you need something as an interface between your head and the masks, and probably to keep all the stuff out of your hair, too.

My job isn't terribly incompatible with long hair, but it's incompatible with it loose. Standard lab job, though we just found out we're getting locking doors now because we work with human pathogens.

Anlbe
December 9th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I used to work as a picture restorer. Searingly hot lights, breathing masks, varnish and fresh oil paint particles in the air. Chemicals that can poison you through your skin, oh yes it was lots of fun for my skin and hair. If I didn't cover my hair when varnishing it felt like it made every particle of dirt in London cling to my hair - so I'd put my hair up and use a scarf to cover it. Combined with the pinny to protect my clothes it was a really stylish outfit. Particularly when you add a gas mask or magnifiers!

jasper
December 9th, 2009, 07:04 PM
teaching art in an elementary school isn't compatible with long hair either- except that a bun updo isn't too out of character. If I lean down to talk to a student with my hair loose or in a pony tail, I might end up seeing my hair on his or her head. I should not forget to mention the chances of getting glue, paint, clay.

Roseate
December 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I thought pony-scrub too. I wear a respirator sometimes, but it is a slightly different style and works fine with a low bun or tucked French braid, though not with hairsticks.

I'm also able to take my time putting it on and off, and so I avoid messing up/breaking my hair. I have to go back and forth between the toxic chemicals and customers, so I can't look too crazy!

Gulbahar
December 10th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I'd wear a buff. http://www.trekplus.com/index1.html
I have several of those and use them when travelling in hot and dry climates. They are made from very thin, elastic jersey and wouldn't interfere with any kind of mask I suppose. For the bun you could try a very short hairstick that doesn't protude too much.

Juanita
December 10th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I think covering the straps witha silky fabric would be an excellent idea. Then covering hair with a scarf would be good protection.

windinherhair
December 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I think nursing is hair friendly. I pretty much put it up and forget about it. In nursing school I was expected to wear it up every time for clinical, but I have seen nurses wearing hair down their back. I really prefer to keep it up now. I used to wear a ponytail before.

teela1978
December 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I think covering up the hair is the easiest option. As long as a bandana/scarf isn't covering your face at all it shouldn't mess with the seal of the respirator. This (http://www.alopeciaboy.net/Bandanas.html) is kinda what I was thinking. Cheap, quick and easy. Throw your hair in a bun on top of your head, cover up your hair with a bandana, pull the respriator over your head and no stray hairs should get caught in the straps.

You probably would need to re-do the bandana/scarf every time you took off your respirator though, particularly if its a tight-fitting one. The other options posted would work as well. You could have a bandana for like a buck by tomorrow though (they might not be as avaliable where you are though).

Pear Martini
December 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I used to be a cocktail waitress at a resort here in Miami. I worked mainly at the outdoor pool and beach area. It was a fun job, but being out in the tropical sun and wind for 6-7 hours a day isn't nice to hair. It would also look unprofessional if I would have oiled it before work lol

The job was well worth it tho :D

embee
December 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Looking at your mask, it seems to me a top-of-the-head bun might work ok. I find that it works for me when I go into my attic and wear a "headlamp". You probably need to take some time and mess with these ideas. Covering the rubber straps may make the thing slide around and ruin the snug fit, so be careful there.

Good luck.

francismary
December 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Another good alternative in head coverings is a nurse's scrub cap/hat that you'd get in a uniform shop (or online)--lots of room to tuck hair in if it's in a ponytail, braid or bun, and they come in lots of patterns, colors. I've seen the O.R. nurses at work with some pretty cute ones! Relatively cheap, too.:)

kittensoupnrice
December 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
If I had to wear that day in and out, I'd do two pigtails and wrap them around my neck like a necklace. Probably use pins or clips to keep the hair down around my neck. Then, I'd line the straps with some sort of silky cloth, and probably put a pad there too to hold the straps apart. (I hate those double strap things, they slide together behind my head and never work for me!)

I wouldn't bother doing buns or a head scarf, because buns pad out your head funny, so the straps won't sit right, and the scarf would get pulled off every time you tried to take the mask off.

GuardGirl
December 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I know your pain (well, sort of). I work at an indoor pool facility and the chlorine in the air and water is absolutely brutal! I teach swimming lessons constantly, and anyone who knows anything about those also knows it is impossible to be a good instructor and not get your hair wet. I constantly feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. Sorry to hear that your job poses such a threat too.

trolleypup
December 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
This sounds like a job for a pony scrub (http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/nursing-medical/womens-scrub-hats/pony-scrub-hats/cotton-disposable/) hat, to me. In any case, you need something as an interface between your head and the masks, and probably to keep all the stuff out of your hair, too.
Beat me to it!

My work is not good for long hair down...outside and in trucks and suchlike...so I just keep it bunned up with a stick.

The volunteer work I do, though...trailwork with traditional tools (axe, crosscut saw, etc) has the potential for being very bad for hair down or rather, not up! Pony scrub with a hard hat works very well...even on multi-day backpacking work trips.

silvurgrin
May 30th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I feel your pain. I'm an electrician, and hard hats have been my enemy for many years. At my new job, though, I'm wearing what's called a "bump cap" which is essentially a cap with a hard plastic insert in it, and there is a company policy that all long hair must be tucked. Oh, did I mention that I work in a fiberglass factory, and ambient temperatures in some areas I'm in can get as high as the 50's? That's Celsius, btw. I have yet to figure out a reasonable solution to keep my hair tucked in a way that doesn't cause breakage or me to overheat. I really don't want to add another layer, as everything I wear must be natural fibres so as to be fire-resistant. But maybe I can find a pony scrub made of linen or something. Any ideas?

Sharysa
May 30th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Thankfully, I don't have too much specific hair hazards in theater. Keeping it braided is fine during rehearsals--it's live performances that I'm planning ahead for, because that's when makeup, hot lights, fast costume changes, fast lighting changes, fight/dance scenes, and hair-catching sets would come into play.

...Okay, theater is probably up there in "things that might not mix with long hair."

On the plus side, being cast in something means I can't get major cuts without the director's permission! XD