PDA

View Full Version : eco-friendly hairdressers

Fethenwen
December 9th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I just wanted to start a discussion about eco-friendly hairdressers :flower:
Have you ever visited one? How common is this form of hairdressing anyway? I know there are a few in the Nordic countries and some other countries in Europe, that is all I know.

I had the opportunity to visit one today, and it was really interesting! I asked a lot of questions, actually I was there to talk about her job more that to get a haircut :p She did a great job. She cut only as much to even out my hemline and bangs and nothing more, and even encouraged me to grow my hair long, because she found it to be in such a good condition.

It seems these types of hairdressers are more long hair friendly too, because they care a lot about the overall condition of the hair, not just the style.

Culdayne
December 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Well, I recently started going to an Aveda salon. (I'm in the US) Aveda claims to have mainly natural ingredients in their products (including hair color).

I will have to post a new pic to show my updated hair color - I really love it. Aveda colors are supposed to be less drying as well. Their claim is that the oxidation comes from green tea extracts, or something like that.

It almost sounds too good to be true, so I am guessing the hair colors are less harmful than main stream but still have some chemicals. I mean, how can they not? Especially when they lift. :shrug:

My scalp didn't hurt or have sores like regular dye, so I guess I am sticking with Aveda for now.

Madame J
December 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Well, long hair is more eco-friendly because we don't use as much electricity to dry/style our hair, right? :P

I've looked into eco-friendly hair salons, since I hate the fact that I end up with 'cone residue whenever I go to my hair dresser, but they're all pretty far away and/or expensive. Or they're very "greenwash-y" -- i.e., they use products that are called "organic," but they're really just regular shampoo with some leaves printed on the bottle. This will probably turn into more of a problem since I found out I have an allergy to certain fragrances, since my hair's not long enough that I feel comfortable trimming it myself...

Carolyn
December 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I go to an Aveda salon too for my color and I buy products there. I don't go for ecological reasons. I go because I can get the color I want. Plus the place smells so good!

Fethenwen
December 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hmm, yeah, there are quite a few saloons that use "greenishy" products instead of fully organic. I've heard about Aveda, well it seems green enough, at least when compared to harsh chemical dyes.

Fortunately the one I visited used only herbal colors and organic hair products, Sante and such.

Culdayne
December 9th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Carolyn: you give me great hope. :D Have you gone to Aveda a long time? I am thinking I finally found a way to get the color I want AND have long hair.

:)

Carolyn
December 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Carolyn: you give me great hope. :D Have you gone to Aveda a long time? I am thinking I finally found a way to get the color I want AND have long hair.

:)It's been about 3 1/2 years. I'd totally messed up my color with Natural Instincts. They "improved" their formula and I ended up with reddish hair. As someone who always loved her natural ashy blonde tones that was a disaster. I think the Aveda color is more gentle than others. It's still isn't as gentle as going natural but I didn't want to do that. I'm covering my silvers. Also I think the Aveda stylists have very good training. It's expensive but I only go 3-4 times a year. They talk about using a lot of plant based products and claim to be working to be gentle on the planet.

Culdayne
December 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
It's been about 3 1/2 years. I'd totally messed up my color with Natural Instincts. They "improved" their formula and I ended up with reddish hair. As someone who always loved her natural ashy blonde tones that was a disaster. I think the Aveda color is more gentle than others. It's still isn't as gentle as going natural but I didn't want to do that. I'm covering my silvers. Also I think the Aveda stylists have very good training. It's expensive but I only go 3-4 times a year. They talk about using a lot of plant based products and claim to be working to be gentle on the planet.

Yes, I understand the frustration. I've messed with several lines of stuff over the years. Also, I have my share of salon horror stories. I am so pleased this time. Your hair is stunning, btw. :cool:

kdaniels8811
December 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I used strickly Aveda products for years including coloring, shampoo, conditioner and my hair still broke off at APL. It was not until I quit using all products and went to herbs and oil for my hair care that my hair finally quit breaking. With that said, my hair is fine and fragile so I am simply not able to handle haircoloring or shampoo. Others can color and grow their hair long, I am not one of them, sigh....

If your hair breaks easily even Aveda hair color will not help. But it depends on your hair and how strong it is. And the products do smell SO good!

heidi w.
December 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
When my hair guru began training me on all things hair, he would recommend products to me, in part, based on whether it was biodegradable or not. Another reason my friend, Eddie, was so awesome!

heidi w.

aisling
December 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I've been thinking about going to one, I know that there is one in Ekenäs (Tammisaari), an area I know pretty well. At least there's been one, I hope she's still active. I'm quite curious, I read an article about her and she uses henna and cassia for example and is big time into oils and butters.