PDA

View Full Version : wearing hair down and hooded sweatshirts

redneckprincess
December 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM
ahhh my 2 favorite things, just not at the same time.
I just found my favorite hooded sweatshirt but in order to wear it I have to wear my hair up, which I dont like doing...what givs, does this get better when hair gets longer?

saskia_madding
December 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Not that I've noticed! :) I always found my hip length hair looked ridiculous draped all over my hoodie.

I think that if you have super thick hair it can look really good; a friend of mine had iii, hip length hair and when draped over her hoodie it looked like a golden waterfall!

But I'm on the low end of ii, and my hair always looks thinner than it is (!!) and more scraggly when draped over my hood.

Booooooooooooooooo. <pout>

Longlocks3
December 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Yup, hoodies plus long hair don't mix well, usually.

I get horrible tangles on the underside of my hair from the hood too. Plus with the static and wind during the winter, I just throw it up.

rhubarbarin
December 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
My solution is to always wear my hair over my shoulders rather than down my back. Since mine isn't long (APL/BSL), it doesn't get in my way yet. My nape, where I have some fine hair, is the only part that tangles, so I do have to watch that I don't have any friction there.

ETA: Since your hair is short, maybe you could do it in pigtails over your shoulders.

babybabycat
December 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Yes, hooded jackets and shirts always tangle my hair, along with scarves and jackets. I will pull my hair forward, or mostly just put it up.
At first I didn't like wearing my hair up all the time, but it protects the hair and there are many styles to pick from. I like using some jaw clips and creating some messy updo's. Also, everytime I go to the bathroom I re-arrange my hairstyle.
Girl, it is fun to wear the hair up, because when the hair comes down, the party starts... ha ha!!

lapushka
December 9th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I love hoodies too. :D When my hair got past SL, I started to wear it up... Yep, it's a little annoying draped over a hoodie. Maybe it'll get better with length, I don't know.

Maybe it's an idea to stick your hair in the hood to help protect it, then wrap a scarf over your hair and... voilą. You'll probably look awful but your hair isn't going anywhere. :tongue:

windinherhair
December 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I also love to wear hoodies, but I like how my hair looks over the back of the hood. From a side view, it seems to make my hair stand out more...like the hair is just pouring over the sweatshirt. Although I can see how some people might be annoyed by this. I haven't worn one for a while, but it always worked for me with my hair being waist length or longer.

MsBubbles
December 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Funny! I'm sitting here in a hoodie thinking the same thing! It's not better at mid-back. And it doesn't help to wear my hair up either, since my hoodie is so thick & cosy it bunches up around my nape.

The upside is, it's much better with my hair than wearing a sweater. The sweatshirt material is smoother and my hair lies flatter against it than any of my sweaters.

SimplyViki
December 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM
The upside is, it's much better with my hair than wearing a sweater. The sweatshirt material is smoother and my hair lies flatter against it than any of my sweaters.
Yeah, I have a fluffy sweater that deposits purple fuzzballs into my hair, and my hair promptly forms a knot around each fuzzball. shudder:

Sweatshirts without hoods are probably best of all, for warmth and tangle-free hair. :D

But yeah... I can't stand how my hair looks when down if I'm wearing a hoodie. It bumps funny over the hood. I'd rather wear it up. Sometimes I blob it all up inside the hood, but it doesn't stay very long, so I end up bunning it anyway.

shadowclaw
December 9th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I don't mind the combo of hoodies and long hair. I usually drape my hair over my shoulders, but sometimes I let it drape over the hood and my back with no problems. I think it might be annoying until it's long enough to go past the hood, but I don't think I was too annoyed then.

rach
December 9th, 2009, 09:39 AM
works fine on my daughter who's at waist length-
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu32/rachelheales/hair/SDC18378.jpg
looks like a blonde waterfall.

Fethenwen
December 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I love hoodies when the hood is up, and the hair is down :cloud9: Otherwise I agree that it can be quite a mess.

jivete
December 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I was really disappointed last year when I realized that hoodies/scarves and longer hair don't mix well. I just get lots of tangles & damage and it looks a little silly on me. Which is a shame, I love the hooded sweaters.

kmangus
December 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I love my hoodies!!! :) I havent had any problems with hair, unless you count that i couldnt pull my hoodie over my head with a hair stick in....but that was my fault for not thinking before doing my hair :)

Brownie
December 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Wearing my hair down and hoodies have never been a problem for me :shrug: It goes past the hood and looks a bit strange sometimes, but I don't care :lol:
I prefer sweatshirts without a hood when I'm wearing my hair down, though.

ABeautifulEvil
December 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I wear hoodies constantly lol. I wear my hair forward over my shoulders all of the time though, even when I'm not wearing a hoodie. I've never had a problem out of them :p

Akiko
December 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hoodies make my hair puff up in a very odd way. So I don't wear my hair down. But with a side braid, etc., it works fine.

Sara Smile
December 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM
While I can wear a hoodie when I have my hair up, I feel that it catches on the hairtoy and looks funny in the back. I've quit on hoodies entirely, since my hair got below mid-back.

But scarves are still fine, when my hair is up or down. :)

SunRae
December 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Just last week I was thinking about this! I wear hoodies all the time, but I used to wear my hair in a pony tail. Now that I am taking better care of my hair, I have started to wear it down more. And with a hoodie, my hair being down looks ridiculous. :mad:

redneckprincess
December 9th, 2009, 11:07 AM
sounds like....this is going to be a VERY hard winter for me..having long hair has become my priority, lol. I dont wear my hair up much #1 gives me headaches...no, let me refraize that, MIGRANES most times if its up to long, and #2 I just dont like how I look (from the front) with updos..
so its the hair or the hoodies thats leaving...can you guess which one it will be....

besides it sounds like in a couple years I can have my hoodies (with not so thick hoods) back, and then I can have it all...ha ha ha...

melrose1985
December 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I saw why not! i agree with you redneckprincess... I love my hoodies and hate having my hair up. Currently i'm wearing one of those rabbit scarf with the fur in balls with a hoodie with my hair down and i think it's fine. I just pull my hair to front on each side.

pepperminttea
December 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I find wearing my hair down and hoodies don't mix (too many tangles and damage afterwards), but I tried a fake bob recently (youtube it) which worked on my halfway-between-BSL-and-waist length hair, and was actually remarkably comfortable with a high-collared coat? :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
December 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I am at WL and I still have awful tangles if I wear my hair down, so I do what the other poster suggested either 2 low side ponies or I pony in the back.

SimplyViki
December 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM
You could probably do two French braids, couldn't you? That'd probably look cute and eliminate the hoodie problem.

squiggyflop
December 9th, 2009, 11:58 AM
perhaps you could maybe sew matching colored satin into the hood.. well it might be easier to have a tailor do it.. im a lazy girl.. that way the hood could double as hair protection... hehe.. its not very clever but if you find satin that matches well it could work out well..

RocketDog
December 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I never wear my hair down if I'm planning to wear a hoodie, or even a jacket with a collar. Tangles galore, and it disrupts the drape of my hair down my back. Since I have fine, thinnish curly hair that's just past APL it looks awful. If I know I'm going to wear my hood up, I often do paired braids since I think it's cute to see the little braids peek out of the hood :)

Unzadi
December 9th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Heh, I'm wearing a hooded sweatshirt (stolen from DH) at the moment, and I either wear my hair up to accomodate the hood or twin braids or ponytails.

Anlbe
December 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I wear hoodies constantly lol. I wear my hair forward over my shoulders all of the time though, even when I'm not wearing a hoodie. I've never had a problem out of them :p

Me too! I used to wear hoodies alot (early morning excercise on a river; it was cold!) either with hair down or in two plaits falling forward over my shoulders. Now I tend to have my hair in lose a high bun and pull the hoodie just over the top of it so you can still see the hair on top. If I'm using my sharper hair sticks I'll even put it through the hoodie to secure it - a bit like using a hat pin.

Jessikinz
December 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I love my hoodies! I will never stop wearing them just because of my hair. I haven't seen this mentioned yet on this thread, but what I do is I gently coil my hair and put it inside the hoodie. I do that on days where I don't want my hair up. It works pretty good for my waist length hair and no tangles. Or if my hair is in a braid, I will put the braid inside the hoodie. Works very good when I have to go outside in the freezing cold.

Nightshade
December 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
My mom actually calls it "Hoodie Hair" when her BSL hair gets really matted wearing it down in a hoodie.

I live in hoodies, so I either wear it up, or I'll pull it over my shoulder and wear it that way if I'm out shopping or doing some other activity where my hair won't be in the way.

unaspenser
December 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I kind of like wearing my hair down then pulling the hoodie on over my hair and leaving it inside the sweater. Then I can put the hood up/down easily and my hair stays out of the way. Otherwise it has to be up for me... I get those awful mats at the nape of my neck.

Anje
December 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hoodie + hair loose is a rarity for me, but often my solution is just to wrap the hair around my hand a few times and drop it into the hood. Better than scraggly looking hair descending from the hood, at least.

myrrhmaiden
December 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
<3 hoodies
what about piling the hair into the hoodie, like a little nest, heheh
in front of the shoulders sounds good too
I personally really like the flowing over the hood thing. I was just thinking the other day how great it will be once it is long enough to go in its nest and still have enough length to flow back out and over again.
*sigh*

Wicked Princess
December 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I have two hoodies that are sooooo comfortable! Those and a pair of jeans are pretty much all I have as far as "casual" wear. :o I almost always have my hair up, as well, so I almost never notice the hood getting in the way.

When I am walking to the store, or to get espresso (it's a four mile walk, round trip), I will sometimes put my hair in a braid, then pull the braid over my shoulder, in front of me. Ta-da! No tangles, get to show off some length, and doesn't get in the way of me flipping up my hood if I have to walk in the rain.

JamieLeigh
December 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Ugh. That's what I hate about hoodies. They're so warm and cozy...but hair down is almost impossible, unless you keep it all around front (which is really in my way at my length). I either bun it somehow, or wear pigtail braids. Since the braids are ALSO too long and get in the way nowadays, I usually just bun it though. :(

greygoth
December 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The hair over hoodie problem bothered me, too, until my hair reached waist. Now it flows over and down just fine.

MissManda
December 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I personally don't like wearing my hair down while I am wearing a hood. It feels very uncomfortable to me and I have the constant urge to move my hair back into place. And I've gotten some really nasty tangles from wearing my hair like that. . . I like putting it up for hoods much better.

Naamah
December 10th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Hooded sweatshirts seem to work fine with my hair, at waist length.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3564&pictureid=50040

I can see where it would be a problem with hair a bit shorter, though.