PDA

View Full Version : Styles seen in Hair: A Book of Braiding and Styles/Book

JCFantasy23
April 25th, 2008, 04:28 AM
I was browsing the yummy looking book in the bookstore the other day and loved the updos. Sadly I'm too broke to buy books right now. A group of friends and I meet up every Tuesday night at the bookshop and generally don't browse, instead utilizing their little coffee shop for a few hours, but that night my friend wanted to check out the fertility section. Of course I saw this book and became tempted. :p

My question is, does anyone have the book and know how to do the upside down french braid? I searched online and all the instructions I've found look nothing like the one in the book. There are others I couldn't find online either, of course, but hopefully some day my battles with money will be won and I can afford this book :luke:

cindy58
April 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM
You could check your library for the book and then practice until you learn it. I think I know what book you're talking about and my library system had it.

In the last few years I've used the library much more than buying books myself. I know there are some books you want to keep, but for a lot of them, the library saves money and space in your home too.

k_hepburn
April 25th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I don't know if they have exactly the style you are asking about, but Dreamweaver (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/Braiding_Tips.htm) has some of the most elaborate instructions for different styles of braiding on the net.
Another excellent site is Dressy Tresses (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/default.asp).

Hope you'll find some inspiration there until there is room in the budget for the book you covet!

Greetings

katharine

cutastrophe
April 25th, 2008, 06:34 AM
My question is, does anyone have the book and know how to do the upside down french braid?

All you do is hang your head upside down and do a french braid starting at the nape of your neck instead of the top.

MemSahib
April 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Yeah, all you do... :rolleyes:

China Cat Sunflower
April 25th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah, all you do... :rolleyes:

That's funny :) sounds so easy hah, Not :)

Kittee
April 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
All you do is hang your head upside down and do a french braid starting at the nape of your neck instead of the top.

Yep. If you can do a French braid normally you can do it upside down. =) I have way to much hair for it personally, I wouldn't know what to do with the long braid at the end. I can imagine this style being really cute for shorter locks though.

angelthadiva
April 25th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Oh, this is a very cute look. I'll do it on DD this weekend and post pics of it! Thanks for reminding me of it; I was starting to get in a rut! :D

Anje
April 25th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Oh, with the upside-down french braid, you bun your hair when you get to your crown.
Edit: OK, that seems awkward....
So you hang your head upside down (or lie on a bed on your belly with your head hanging over, if that's more comfortable, and start french braiding at the nape going toward the top of your head. When you get to the crown, continue the braid without adding anything more for a few more weaves, just so it won't undo itself. Gather the braid with all the unbraided hair on the top of your head, and form it into a bun, roughly where the braid ends. So when you're upright, it looks like you've got a high bun, with an upside-down french braid to the nape of your neck.

I do think the style's better for people with hair short enough that it's not hanging all over the floor when they hold their head upside down, though...

florenonite
April 25th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Oh, with the upside-down french braid, you bun your hair when you get to your crown.
Edit: OK, that seems awkward....
So you hang your head upside down (or lie on a bed on your belly with your head hanging over, if that's more comfortable, and start french braiding at the nape going toward the top of your head. When you get to the crown, continue the braid without adding anything more for a few more weaves, just so it won't undo itself. Gather the braid with all the unbraided hair on the top of your head, and form it into a bun, roughly where the braid ends. So when you're upright, it looks like you've got a high bun, with an upside-down french braid to the nape of your neck.

I do think the style's better for people with hair short enough that it's not hanging all over the floor when they hold their head upside down, though...

This sounds really cool! I want to try it!

Melisande
April 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
This book by Ann Akers Johnson is not new and you can find it for very little money online. Try to find a used version, without the box and the scrunchies, you don't need them.

It's very good, I learned French, Dutch and rope braiding thanks to the excellent explanations and clear instructional illustrations. It's definitely good value for the money.

lady_hero
April 25th, 2008, 09:00 AM
It's an awesome book! The styles are very helpful for a variety of lengths - long, short, and in-between. I bought mine years ago, and I still use it. I personally found the upside down french braid to be rather tricky. I think I'll practice it some more :)

JCFantasy23
April 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. It's nice to find a forum where you get replies, and not only that - but quickly and many of them! I never considered the library, thanks for that idea. It does make sense it can be bought cheaper online. As for the upside down being easy, hmm...I suppose like many things it takes a lot of practice. And then one wasn't just a french braid, it was a bun as mentioned. I'll try to follow Anje's directions too. If I ever succeed, I'll post pics when I can =)

mommy2one05
April 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
yes if anybody does this one please post pics cause maybe if I saw a pic it would help me, just by the description of how to do it I am lost....of course I just learned how to do a french braid about a week ago...so patience and practice I guess

Angellen
April 26th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Funnily enough I was just flipping through it this morning! I used to have a copy as a kid, but over the years it disappeared. My mother knows I'm growing my hair out again and surprised me with a copy. Such nostalgia! You're lucky it's still in stores where you are--no one here carries it, so we had to buy it online.

ANYway, I'm looking at the instructions right now, and really, all it says is to french braid with your head down. It also suggests that once you stop french braiding (when you reach the crown of your head) to turn it into an english (basic) braid so that the french part doesn't unravel when you twist and bun the rest. Fairly straightforward...

Ramona_Fosca
April 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I second the suggestion to look for a used copy - it's definitly worth buying!

Having said that I have to admit that the instructions for the upside down french braid kind of lack some detail. All it says is: braid with your head bend over, do 4-5 turns, finish when reaching the crown. I tried this morning and all I managed was to tangle my hair artfully :mad:.

I would really be interested in seeing pictures in case anybody really manages to do this style...

Melisande
April 26th, 2008, 05:06 AM
I did it when my hair was shorter, and it was really easy. You just do the same movements with your hands, that's all. By now, my hair is much too long for it, the bun would look funny.

cindy58
April 26th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Well, I tried the upside down french braid a couple of times. It can be a snarly process. It's much easier for me on top because the texture of my under hair is baby soft, more difficult to work with.

MusingFrog
April 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've done this style before. It works best when your routinely do it though because you learn to work with the hair more. Also, because the style changes the direction of the hair follicles, you can get a headache if you do it too tightly the first couple of times. Just did this now in about five minutes. I chose this picture because it shows off the braid well (and masks the oiliness of my hair). You can do a regular bun on the top, I chose to do a braided bun because it is easier for me to pin up.

ETA:Upside Down French Braid with a Braided Bun
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2443258032_5bebf3f32f.jpg?v=0

florenonite
April 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I've done this style before. It works best when your routinely do it though because you learn to work with the hair more. Also, because the style changes the direction of the hair follicles, you can get a headache if you do it too tightly the first couple of times. Just did this now in about five minutes. I chose this picture because it shows off the braid well (and masks the oiliness of my hair). You can do a regular bun on the top, I chose to do a braided bun because it is easier for me to pin up.

This is beautiful!

Ramona_Fosca
April 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Wow, cscheck, beautiful!!

I'll give it some more practice, than...

Thanks for the inspiration!!

MusingFrog
April 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys! :)

Oh yes, when you do this there comes a point where you will start to feel like the braid is too high on your head. At least this happens for me. If you stop when you start feeling that the braid will be much much lower than it feels like. I will normally keep braiding until it feels like all I have left are where my bangs would be. So you don't want to stop prematurely. Or just be aware that that can happen the first time you do it so you can adjust if necessary.

ETA (again): And you can do this with long hair. My hair is somewhere between tailbone and classic and I have no problems. It is probably easier with shorter hair to an extent. When I had shorter hair I was never happy with the bun at the top. Having longer hair helps that for me.

Peggy E.
April 26th, 2008, 09:48 AM
This book by Ann Akers Johnson is not new and you can find it for very little money online. Try to find a used version, without the box and the scrunchies, you don't need them.

It's very good, I learned French, Dutch and rope braiding thanks to the excellent explanations and clear instructional illustrations. It's definitely good value for the money.

Is this the "Klutz" braiding book? If so, this is worth owning, wherever you can find it - it's my "Hair Bible" and, as you've mentioned, Melisande, it taught me these braids, plus the ropes, in easy to understand text and lots of great pictures!

The one caveat to the upside-down french braid: I found it works better with smaller sections of hair being added, so there are more additions. Otherwise, when you do your bun at the top, the french braid is lost, as it doesn't begin to really "form up" until higher on your head, so it's covered.

Another problem I've had with this style is that pulling the hair in a direction not usually arranged causes my scalp to become sore by the end of the day.

But otherwise, this is a really cool style! ;o)

MusingFrog
April 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM
This was the first hair book I ever got. I've mastered all the braids, but one of the styles is utterly alluding me.

Does anyone know any tips to make the Twists (pages 16-17 if you have the book) stay twisted without a French twist comb? I really like how it looks but not only does the twist not stay in the entire thing becomes loose very very quickly.

mommy2one05
April 26th, 2008, 08:54 PM
cscheck - thanks for the pic...that is stunning! this is my new updo I want to master ( who knows if I will since it took me a LONG time to get a french braid mastered)

catapia
April 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I have that book, and I love it :)

I pull it out on days when I could use a little inspiration or just feel like playing around. I got mine used online ;)

ETA: Oh, yeah, I haven't felt coordinated enough to try the upside down french braid yet :silly:

CountessDeJager
April 26th, 2008, 10:29 PM
JCFantasy23, I have that book and love it too. Keep an eye out for it used online like others have said. The wonderful used book price comparison site addall.com (http://www.addall.com/) shows you can get a decent copy for under $10 including shipping.

JCFantasy23
October 13th, 2008, 08:11 PM

ETA:Upside Down French Braid with a Braided Bun

Eg sorry it took so long to reply everyone. THis is simply beautiful. I suppose it will just take TONS of practice, since I'm terrible at french braiding. :)

Tartlette
October 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Ohhhh! I never thought to check my library for that book.. just searched the catalog online and what do you know! They have 5 copies all on shelf!

aries
October 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Oh my gosh!!! I used to do this style almost everyday when I taught dance and got sick of french braiding the regular way. When your hair isn't long enough to bun, you can stick the braid end down inside the opening where the french braid left off at the crown and use pins to hold it. I found it quite comfortable and different. Had many compliments on it. Don't know if I could do it anymore.

I did find it easier to do this sitting in a chair bent over with my arms resting on my legs sometimes. Your arms get really tired at first doing this.

misstwist
October 13th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I used to do that all the time when I was a teenager. I used it as a sleep style for setting my hair. I braided from nape to forehead and all the way to the end, then put the free part of the braid on a foam roller at my forehead. I got much prettier braid waves with the braid running that direction and curly ends from the roller.

BTW, my hair is just past bsl now and it was longer then. I just bent over at the waist to do the braid.

darkwaves
October 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Another vote for buying this book. It's good. Upside-down braiding is not easy, though!

Ponytale
October 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I agree about it being a great night style--it gives me much better braid waves than anything else. More body too!

JCFantasy23
October 15th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys, I'm more eager than ever to try it. May try tonight although I doubt much success yet.

Found this pictorial also, although it says the same as everyone else so far:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4425842_braid-upside-down-french-braid.html

Seraphina
October 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I tried the upside down braid last night.It went pretty well,but the actual braid part of it didn't start until halfway up my head.I think I need to put in a bit more work!

Arctic_Mama
October 15th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I should pull this book out of storage, it IS a great book of styles especially for APL-BSL hair. Not so great for super longies, though. The styles are all fairly basic in terms of difficulty, too, which is nice.

Venefica
April 5th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I have been looking for some good books on buns and braids but not really found any, do anyone have any recommendations that can be found on Amazon or ebay?

jacqueline101
April 5th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I have no clue but I agree try the libuary.

Venefica
April 5th, 2013, 06:43 AM
I doubt they have much in line of literature on how to style long hair at my local library but I could always ask them.