PDA

View Full Version : The washing dishes = temporary crispy horrible hair phenomenon. Anyone?

Faepirate
April 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Whenever I washing the dishes after dinner, my hair becomes really crispy to the touch, frizzy etc. - I'm assuming this is a universal phenomenon and not just me and my weird hair!

Just to clarify, the hair itself never touches the washing up water! (That would be mad.) But I wonder if the steam from the bowl is responsible for this. Thankfully the horrible hair phase only lasts about 30 mins to an hour and then it's back to normal again.

I've considered doing the dishes wearing a shower cap. I'm sure that would improve things... but I'd look like a muppet. ;)

CurlyNinja
April 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I know what it is.

When I'm in the lab wearing nitrile or latex gloves, after I take them off several hours later my hair feels just like you described. I realized that it's actually my hands that are the problem, not my hair. After the feeling from the gloves wears off, my hands (and hair) are back to normal.

Don't sweat it. I am 99% sure it is not your hair.

Faepirate
April 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Seriously?
Ho ho ho! I had considered that, and carried out a series of experiments in which I tried to feel my hair with only my arms. But alas... my results were inconclusive.

But why would it be only my hair that feels weird? I can touch my skin, my clothes and other objects and they feel normal! Bizarre.

CurlyNinja
April 25th, 2008, 12:46 AM
That, I do not have an answer to. But I double checked my theory with my lab partner and also had my boyfriend touch it one day when it felt all weird, and yep--just my hands.

I wonder if it's the strand-ness of hair that makes it feel different? Hmmm...

aisling
April 25th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I was also going to suggest your hands. This happens to me as well if I've soaked my hands for a long time in water or used those white cotton cloves you use in archives and museums. Then my hair feels dry to the touch but it is in fact my hands that are dried out. The reason the skin on your arms and legs for example doesn't feel like this is because that is a bigger, smooth surface, our hair has a bit different structure with many small surfaces.

Hayat
April 25th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I know what it is.

When I'm in the lab wearing nitrile or latex gloves, after I take them off several hours later my hair feels just like you described. I realized that it's actually my hands that are the problem, not my hair. After the feeling from the gloves wears off, my hands (and hair) are back to normal.

Don't sweat it. I am 99% sure it is not your hair.

I also know this phenomenon, and I agree with CurlyNinja. I think it's the hands being the problem. I experience this both when doing the dishes with gloves, and even more if doing the dishes without gloves. I believe it is my skin on the hands feeling awkward from the water or the inside of the gloves, which again makes an awkward feeling when touching the hair.

Nat242
April 25th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I don't have this problem, but maybe I should "develop" it...sounds like a great way to get out of doing the dishes! :p

On a serious note, it probably is your hands - but just in case, you could bun your hair before hand, and wear a scarf or bandana (rather than a shower cap). Just an idea :shrug:

-- Natalie

Gecko
April 25th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I've experienced this before, too. When my hands are dry, my hair feels dry. I haven't noticed it after washing dishes especially, but I do dishes often and when doing them I wear gloves and after they feel very dry. So I'm sure that would contribute to alot of that feeling.

lady G
April 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM
could it not be steam rising from the sink making your hair feel different?

just a crazy thought!

:)

velvetcat
April 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I get the hand thing when I drive for a while, like the vibrations and the steering wheel make my hands, I guess kind of numb. Then my hair feels strange.

Kirin
April 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Yup, its your hands. I have the same thing happen to me, and just HAD to figure it out. I found, as soon as i put on hand lotion and let it DRY, my hair felt like it always does.

Skin still feels like skin, and clothes because their texture is generally FLAT, skin is a flat surface, clothes are like jeans and the like, but other clothes are way softer than hair (like velour).

Hair is very textured, even fine hair. If your hands are dry from dish soap and water (long exposure doing dishes) and sapped of moisture, their temporary roughness translates to the strands of hair.

Sarahmoon
April 25th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I never have that problem.
Steam rising from the bowl? :eek: Exactly how hot is that water?

missy60
April 25th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I would think if it is the steam rising from the bowl you could possible get frizz, but I dont think it would tame down. When I use to straighten my hair any kind of steam or humidy would cause frizz, but believe me it didnt calm down until I did something to it like washing.

Im going with it being your hands also.

willowcandra
April 25th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Yep hands for me too. after washing up or putting hand cream on. The cats feel rough too and they are nowhere near the sink.

Faepirate
April 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I never have that problem.
Steam rising from the bowl? :eek: Exactly how hot is that water?

You know, water doesn't have to be all that extraordinarily hot to steam a little.... :) Clearly we're not talking boiling hot! LOL.

Sarahmoon
April 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hmm... my hot water doesn't steam anymore as soon as I put my hands in :)

Enough steam to cause frizz would be more than a little steam methinks ;)

alys
April 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I've noticed this all my life as well. It's actually your hands that have changed, not your hair. If you touch anyone's hair after washing dishes you will experience the same phenomenon...Probably a mixture of your hands being saturtated internally with water, and the effects this has on the touch-sensing nerves of your skin...

ha ha its always made me wonder too