PDA

View Full Version : I did my first "proper" updo today :) LHC has changed my hair so much.

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Today I learnt that I could do a beautiful sock-bun with my barely shoulder length hair :D. Words can't describe how excited I am about this! It's really made my decision to just ride out the awkward stages and not trim completely worthwhile. It will be difficult for me to resist wearing a sock-bun every single day. I'm looking forward to posting a picture of it when the rash on my neck clears up :o (from jojoba oil - whoops - I tried it again)

My hair has been massacred by hairdressers with thinning scissors, extreme layers, harsh bleach and toners, blow drying, cheap round brushes with plastic knobs on the end and straightening irons, but since I discovered LHC in August everything has changed for the better.

I've decided to quit salons for good - they always make me feel bad about myself :( and cut too much off, and substantially thin out my thick hair. It's only since I found LHC that I realised that super thick could be super-beautiful!
I've bought some good hairdressing scissors and now I'm growing it out, as long, and thick as it will go, and my husband will micro-trim it for me once it gets to APL, until I grow out all this thinned mess!
I've quit bleaching and chemical colouring and I am in love with my henna colour, and shocked that my hair can actually shine with henna after all the torture it has been through. I'm also surprised that I feel prettier now with dark, red-brown hair rather than blonde hair.
I am using coconut oil for heavy and light oilings and my hair is loving it. I was shocked that when I put so much oil in that I felt like a greasemonster, and left it up for a day, the next day it was all absorbed! My hair has been so different since this. It's shiny and silky now. I never would have tried that without LHC. Gosh I was missing out.
I really love the effect catnip treatments have on my hair.
I've bought a body shop wooden bristle massage brush based on the reviews - and reccommend it now to anyone who will listen.
I'm taking MSM, gelatine and biotin.
I am obsessed with hairtoys and can hardly wait for my hair to grow long enough to use hair-forks and hairsticks.
Oh and along the way from advice I found here my husband's allergy to sulphates has been discovered and he's free of severe face and scalp redness and dandruff that has plagued him most of his life.
My husband is also now growing his number one buzz cut hair out, and I have discovered after almost 6 years with him that he has natural spiral curls!! :crush:Gosh - sorry for such a long post - but to sum it all up, thank-you LHC! You have changed my hair, and my life for the better. I feel so much happier with my hair, but also, thanks to this community I feel free to be myself, and much happer with how I was naturally made. You're all so caring and helpful.

:grouphug:

Gypsygirl
December 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I'm happy for you! :)

embee
December 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Wow, that's a lot of good stuff! Keep on growing and see how long it gets. :)

Good for your DH, to find out what the rash problem was; that's a wonderful thing and makes your visit to LHC worthwhile even if you never grew your hair.

Autumnberry
December 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Cat Lady, it is so inspirational hearing about your success with all the great LHC advice. You will save so much money on salons that you will be even happier! And the henna and coconut oil--right on! Please continue to keep us posted on your progress, and many congrats!

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm happy for you! :)

Thank-you Gypsygirl :)

Wow, that's a lot of good stuff! Keep on growing and see how long it gets. :)

Good for your DH, to find out what the rash problem was; that's a wonderful thing and makes your visit to LHC worthwhile even if you never grew your hair.

Thanks for your encouragement Embee! What you say is so true - the time I spent reading here was incredibly worth it immediately when the advice helped my husband, even before my own hair began to change.

Cat Lady, it is so inspirational hearing about your success with all the great LHC advice. You will save so much money on salons that you will be even happier! And the henna and coconut oil--right on! Please continue to keep us posted on your progress, and many congrats!

You're so right Autumnberry - I am going to save alot of money on salons! Well... until my hair becomes long enough for pretty hair toys - then things might work out about the same. :o

Thank-you for the congrats and encouragement.

klcqtee
December 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I would leave my ends spikey and pointing up and coat them in coconut oil when I did a sockbun at that length. It was cute.

You should also check out the Gibson tuck (you may be long enough, but if not, you'll be so in the next few months!), and pig tails!

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I would leave my ends spikey and pointing up and coat them in coconut oil when I did a sockbun at that length. It was cute.

You should also check out the Gibson tuck (you may be long enough, but if not, you'll be so in the next few months!), and pig tails!

Lol! klcqtee, my ends were all spikey poking out all around the edges like some crazy thorny petaled flower :) - that's part of why I love it so much. I didn't oil them incase they would slip out, but that's excellent advice and I'll try it next time.

I think I'm one inch away from pulling off a Gibson tuck successfully, but I will try again! And yes I can and do wear pigtails at home. They're so cute. I loving this hair-growing so much. Thanks for sharing the ideas.

little_acorn
December 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Aww major congrats Catlady :D - I'm looking forward to those pics

You should also be able to do a peakcock twist too :D

lillylonghair
December 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Isn't LHC amazing?!! Congrats on healing your hair and doing a sock bun! I also did my first sock about a month ago and it is hard not to do it all the time.

I am also a coconut oil lover. It is amazing stuff. Shame about the jojoba though. I also love jojoba oil. Maybe you will discover something else that you love though.

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Aww major congrats Catlady :D - I'm looking forward to those pics

You should also be able to do a peakcock twist too :D

Thanks little_acorn! Maybe I can do a peacock twist. I had better get myself a claw clip...

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Isn't LHC amazing?!! Congrats on healing your hair and doing a sock bun! I also did my first sock about a month ago and it is hard not to do it all the time.

I am also a coconut oil lover. It is amazing stuff. Shame about the jojoba though. I also love jojoba oil. Maybe you will discover something else that you love though.

It is totally amazing! Thanks for the congrats lillylonghair. It sounds like you are doing really well too :).

I'm just glad I'm not allergic to coconut oil - it's my miracle cure-all.

Friesiangirl
December 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
That's so great! I wish you the best of luck growing!

Hayley

kmangus
December 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Aw catlady! You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :) Happy growing girly!

clairenewcastle
December 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Congratulations on how far you've come catlady! :cheese:
I'm at the same stage of hair growth so to see your sucess is wonderful.
Happy growing!:cheese:

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
That's so great! I wish you the best of luck growing!

Hayley

Thank-you Hayley :) Good luck growing to you too.

Aw catlady! You make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :) Happy growing girly!

Hee hee - thanks Kmangus! I love your new avatar by the way :D

Congratulations on how far you've come catlady! :cheese:
I'm at the same stage of hair growth so to see your sucess is wonderful.
Happy growing!:cheese:

Thank-you Clairenewcastle! It's really fun to share in eachothers successes, especially when we're at the same point of growing. So many milestones still to go :).

Sister13
December 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Brava, Cat Lady! Glad to know your good news.:disco::disco::disco:

Cat Lady
December 8th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Brava, Cat Lady! Glad to know your good news.:disco::disco::disco:

Thank-you Sister13, and thank-you for the banana-dance!

kmangus
December 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hee hee - thanks Kmangus! I love your new avatar by the way :D

Why thankyou!! I think it matches my style a bit more than my edward one :)

K_Angel
December 9th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Congratulations!!!!! :thumbsup:

Cat Lady
December 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Congratulations!!!!! :thumbsup:

Thank-you for the thumbs up, K_Angel :D

CrisDee
December 9th, 2009, 12:59 PM
MAJOR congrats, Catlady, that's a huge milestone in growth! Can't wait for my stupid pixie to get back to that, reading posts like yours helps us shorties so much! Here's my bananadance for ya :disco::disco::disco:

JamieLeigh
December 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Congrats on your updo! I know that feels so awesome. :D

It sounds like you know where you want to go and what to do. This is such a wonderful site, and we've all been so blessed with knowledge and friendship here. :flower:

...and that's so cool about your husband's curls!! Maybe he'll let em grow. ;)

Cat Lady
December 9th, 2009, 06:07 PM
MAJOR congrats, Catlady, that's a huge milestone in growth! Can't wait for my stupid pixie to get back to that, reading posts like yours helps us shorties so much! Here's my bananadance for ya :disco::disco::disco:

Awww, thanks for the banana-dance! CrisDee your hair may be short at the moment, but it's so beautiful, and it will make stunning updos with a little growth!You'll get there faster than you might think :).

Congrats on your updo! I know that feels so awesome. :D

It sounds like you know where you want to go and what to do. This is such a wonderful site, and we've all been so blessed with knowledge and friendship here. :flower:

...and that's so cool about your husband's curls!! Maybe he'll let em grow. ;)

Thanks JamieLeigh:). I'm so pleased to hear from you, especially because you're one of the people whose long hair has inspired me the most! It's from seeing others' examples and learning from their wisdom that I have been able to form such a clear vision of what I aim for, and how to get it.

My husband IS going to grow his curls long. (Thank-you LHC!) And he's going to let me henna + amla them to make them SPROING even more! I have a small obsession with "sproinging" his ringlets. I bet it's very annoying :o.