PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep yourselves from cutting your hair?

bubbles_87
December 7th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I've had bangs in the beginning of the year and hated them. Now my bangs have finally grown almost past my chin and NOW I want bangs lol. I see how cute it looks on other girls and Im so tempted to cut! I just get bored with my style and hair color so easily I can never seem to leave it alone. Like im itching right now to walk into my bathroom grab the scissors and snip snip! I also do the same with my one length hair. Its chin length and its been like that for months, I mean I've been cutting it to get rid of the mullet effect but everybody said my hair was fine and that Im just tripping. If I didnt cut it at all it probably would have been collar bone length. Oh pooo I think I have a cutting disorder lol. How do you girls and guys keep yourselves from cutting your hair?

marikamt
December 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Two things.......

First one, what you just did, post on here and talk it thru to make sure I really want it

and second, the "two week rule" wait two weeks before doing it and see if you change your mind.......

Although i did cut bangs back in while I was growing (and they were about at my chin). Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but overall, I am glad I did. They suit my face better........

sarahbrownie
December 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Because I always realize that I will hate it later. I've done it with my bangs around 4 times this year. Just as I get it long enough I look at the so cute Zooey Deschanel and want bangs. They I remember that I had to wash them everyday and style them, and then putting them back was a pain and I'm always running around searching for that one bobby pin, and with my curly hair they are always sticking to my face right out of the shower.

One thing I know a lot of girls do that can't commit to bangs is to buy fake bangs. Yes! And they are very deceiving too.

bubbles_87
December 7th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah I was looking at Zooey Deschanel's bangs too! and Im like ahhh she looks so pretty with it. And you know what I actually have extensions! oh this is gonna be fun Im gonna make myself fake bangs tonight. But your right marikamt as hard as it may be I need to wait and think about it first. I've always been the type to just go and do it but now that Im trying to grow my hair out I need to be more patient *sigh*

sapphire-o
December 8th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Toss your scissors away then you can't cut it. :D Oh and you can buy some clip-on bangs if you just want a different look for one day.

Chrissy
December 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Go look at Igor's profile. I've been singing her praises lately. This is what happens when you don't cut. Find something else to do to keep your mind off of your hair. Also I wear my hair up a lot. Then I don't think about it as much.

Heavenly Locks
December 8th, 2009, 03:58 AM
The more you cut the shorter it gets. I want long hair, so I don't cut it. :) It makes sense to me?

Quixii
December 8th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I don't know, I don't feel like I do anything. I just think to myself: I want long hair. Will cutting my hair help me get long hair? No.
Though I hardly ever have even the slightest urge to cut. I'm pretty set on keeping my hair long.

Carolyn
December 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
It isn't hard not to cut. I simply don't have the desire to do it. I've done different cuts over the years and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've so regretted it. I finally learned to stop thinking I'd like something cute and trendy and to go with what I know I like and what I know works for me. And that is long, one length hair. I may wonder sometimes what I'd look like in something like a swingy bob but I know how much I'd hate it and regret it. Within hours I'd be committed to growing my hair out again. All I have to do is think of how long it took me to get from shoulder length layers to waist length. Then I have no temptation to cut at all. Yes I do trim but those are well thought out. I believe in more than a "2 week rule" that is often mentioned here at LHC. It's much harder for me to cut than it is not to cut.

Emme76
December 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I really do understand. I also think I have a cutting disorder!!!I change my mind all the time, and hate the way my hair looks...I keep thinking I will find the perfect look for me...and I cut when it is starting to really grow. And I always change my mind. Even if I know this, I canīt help myself.

For me - I donīt think it really has to do with my hair. I think it might have to do with a bad self image! I hate the way I look most of the time, and think a change will make it go away....it never does! Cutting makes me dislike my hair and look even more.... And when I cut I always stop visiting LHC...like I am in shame :o!!!!!
I am back now...again....and hope I will manage it better this time!

Hope you can keep from cutting this time. Let me know if you need some support....cause I know the feeling :)!!!

Bonkers57
December 8th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I'm glad it finally has a name ('Cutting Disorder'!) Maybe we need to start a group: CNSA - Cutters-Not-So-Anonymous, I mean, we've already said who we are, lol!! I'm posting an album titled 'History' to show how I've run the gamut. Maybe it does tie to what you said about self-image; I'm rarely satisfied.

Now I see this current attempt to grow my hair as proof that I can stick with something, and curiosity as to how I'd look with long hair now. Even at it 'longer' lengths, it was still short enough to style. I've discovered that I truly am a bangs/fringe person, so I'll continue to wear them.

Even if I end up shaving myself bald, I'll not let shame keep me from LHC; I've seen that it's a great support system if/when you fall off the wagon. :o

I really do understand. I also think I have a cutting disorder!!!I change my mind all the time, and hate the way my hair looks...I keep thinking I will find the perfect look for me...and I cut when it is starting to really grow. And I always change my mind. Even if I know this, I canīt help myself.

For me - I donīt think it really has to do with my hair. I think it might have to do with a bad self image! I hate the way I look most of the time, and think a change will make it go away....it never does! Cutting makes me dislike my hair and look even more.... And when I cut I always stop visiting LHC...like I am in shame :o!!!!!
I am back now...again....and hope I will manage it better this time!

Hope you can keep from cutting this time. Let me know if you need some support....cause I know the feeling :)!!!

Chrissy
December 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Try a wig?:shrug:

spidermom
December 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
If I wanted to cut my hair, I'd do it.

Anje
December 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM
For some of us, it's just not really an issue. I don't usually get strong urges to cut, and when I do, it's because I want a thicker hemline or some other normal long-hair sort of goal.

Get some fake bangs if you want them sometimes. Growing bangs out really sucks. I am NEVER going through that again!

redneckprincess
December 8th, 2009, 07:25 AM
my bangs grow and cut and grow and cut I dont think I will EVER really be without bangs

Bonkers57
December 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
If I can get through the awkward stages, the urges probably won't be so strong. Then, I wouldn't think twice about trimming to thicken the hemline; that's the look I want.

For some of us, it's just not really an issue. I don't usually get strong urges to cut, and when I do, it's because I want a thicker hemline or some other normal long-hair sort of goal.

You're preaching to the choir, here. I posted a pic to my album showing how I look with all my hair slicked back - not a pretty sight.

my bangs grow and cut and grow and cut I dont think I will EVER really be without bangs

nowxisxforever
December 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I don't like short hair and am unconcerned with how even or unneven my hair happens to be (due to my hairtype). I hate layers, and I hate bangs. There is no reason for me to want to cut my hair. :)

theboredelf
December 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
That's an easy one. I see how jealous my short-haired friends are! :D

But really, I tried short-hair. I hated it. I didn't feel like myself, and it was too much work. That's how I keep from cutting it; I don't give myself the option. If I see a style I like, I think to myself "Wow, that's cute. Too bad it would take 4 different products, $500, and 2 hours a day to get my hair to look like that."

Plus my fiance loves my hair. I don't want to even IMAGINE that fight. ;)

Spike
December 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
There is no such thing as a "perfect" hairstyle, at least for me.

See, the cute trendy cut will look dated BECAUSE it's trendy. The mullets we shudder at now were the hot and happening "laser bi-levels" of the Eighties (yes, I am older than dirt). So folks who were into the hot and happening twenty years ago cut the mullet and when they stopped monitoring trends . . . ooops. I predict the half-shave will go the same way--SOOOOO 2009.

All other hairstyles require varying levels of maintenance--trims to keep the shape, perms to keep the shape, heat setting to (say it with me--keep the shape). When I had big eighties hair, that required a shoulder/APL layered cut, and then perms once a quarter and trims every six weeks AND washing every day to get the curl pattern even and unsquashed AND mousse/hairspray to lift the one flat spot.

Whew!!!

Long hair is just easier to commit to, for me. I plan to trim once a quarter when I hit BSL, S&D once a month or when I notice splits starting to form, and wash and oil on the schedule that seems to be working for me.

Deimos
December 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
While I never have the urge to cut all my hair, the fringe-thing is something that happened lately to me too... I grew them out until they no longer looked weird and I could tuck them behind my ear. And now I have them again (I waited a week or so before cutting them) And I am very happy to have a fringe again :D

Islandgrrl
December 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM

Yup. Same here. I don't look at having/growing long hair as a struggle or a challenge or a battle with myself.

Funsizedbaby
December 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I am like the OP. I had all my hair cut to a chin length bob a month ago and it is now a inch or so past my chin and I keep thinking I'd really like to have bangs...even though on me bangs look awful. I have chipmunk cheeks and like a non existent chin so long hair looks better on me but I just cannot keep myself away from the scissors.

Bonkers57
December 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
You've given me food for thought :) Because of its type, my hair is extraordinarily hard to style (much less hold the style). Since I want low-maintenance (be able to get presentable quickly) I figured I'd have to go really short or really long; I've had really short; really long would be a new experience.

But really, I tried short-hair. I hated it. I didn't feel like myself, and it was too much work. That's how I keep from cutting it; I don't give myself the option. If I see a style I like, I think to myself "Wow, that's cute. Too bad it would take 4 different products, $500, and 2 hours a day to get my hair to look like that."

That's another issue altogether! :D My hubby never makes a fuss or tries to tell me what to wear or anything like that; he wouldn't be my husband if he were like that. But I know that he'd really really like for me to grow my hair long.

Plus my fiance loves my hair. I don't want to even IMAGINE that fight. ;)

marikamt
December 8th, 2009, 09:28 AM
If I can get through the awkward stages, the urges probably won't be so strong. Then, I wouldn't think twice about trimming to thicken the hemline; that's the look I want.

You're preaching to the choir, here. I posted a pic to my album showing how I look with all my hair slicked back - not a pretty sight.

Totally agree...... that was the hardest part for me....... getting through those horrible stages!!!!!! I think I am FINALLY at a length where (although not at my goal yet) I have assed all/ most of the really awful stages.... hope I didn't speak too soon :D

Being able to do up-dos and use all the cool hair toys (especially sticks, for me) has helped A LOT........ my layers made that pretty impossible for me until recently (a cutting error I will NOT repeat)......

Sheltie_Momma
December 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I have only made it through because my husband made a comment in 2007 that he didn't think I would ever really have the will power to have truly long hair, that I was just going to talk about it indefinitely and yet keep cutting it. Nothing makes me want something more than if someone doubts that I can do it. So now my hair is waist length.

jojo
December 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I got out of cutting by finding a good hairdresser like theres nothing worse then them saying 'have you been cutting your own hair' so I just mark my next appointment and look forward to it as a day of pamering.

I don't even do s&d's because else I get too tempted to do a little trim!

hmmm
December 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Precisely this. :shrug:

bubbles_87
December 8th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Yeah one of the reasons why i feel the urge to cut is how ugly my hair is when it grows pass my chin it gets all crazy and my hair flips out in different areas so I trim it to get rid of that look. Then I see so many cute styles on T.V or magazines and I want to try it. its hard for me and glad Im not the only one.

LOL I think we should start a cutting disorder thread for those of us who are itching for bangs or wanting to cut hair because it looks weird or whatever. Well I ended up NOT cutting my hair at all...instead I massaged my scalp for 5 minutes and I feel good.

Teakafrog
December 8th, 2009, 06:27 PM
If you can just get through the awkward stages, then it'll be so much easier. I can't imagine having to 'do' my hair every single day again! I mean, it takes literally 2 minutes max to do any style I want now--no blowdrying, no irons, no products. Spritz a little leave in, twist it into a bun, walk out the door! THAT is worth not cutting, at least for me. I'm all about low maintainence.

Xandergrammy
December 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM
When I was really obsessed with S&D, I had my hubby hide my hair scissors. I will NOT cut any hair on my head with any other pair of scissors. It worked!!

Elphie
December 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM
It seriously doesn't occur to me to cut it? I mean, I've had fairly long hair and I've had a pixie. If I wanted to do that again, I just would, but I don't. I also keep bangs. I've grown them out and hated how I looked without them and promptly cut them back. They're "me".

sonng
December 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I had a fringe( full bangs ) for almost 4 years and now like you I have grown my bangs all the way past my chin. I have a strong urge to cut my hair now and then but to combat it I look up pictures of long hair and come here lol :D

Ash
December 8th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I really want to get to terminal length or as long as possible before I cut again. This for me is an excercise in discipline and self control. I used to cut/shave parts of my hair when I got bored but I am working on my impulsive nature in general and hair is a good lesson for me. Once I get to my goal length or it becomes unmanageable then I will cut if I feel like it. Besides I need to satisfy my curiosity on my terminal length and I can't do that if I cut. :)

piratejenny23
December 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
be very, very broke and unable to afford a haircut

:violin:

i've been wanting to even out my ends/thicken my hemline for 4 or 5 months, but seriously couldn't afford the $25-30. recently my longest section reached the waistband of my pants, and now i just can't bear to lose even 1/2"!

now that you've joined LHC, maybe looking at all the pretty long hair pictures will help you stay away from the scissors. and i see you haven't posted your hair length yet...maybe once you put up the number of inches, and start tracking your progress, you'll just want to see the number grow!

welcome, btw!

darkwaves
December 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I want long hair. If I cut, it won't be long. Simple!

(But as spidermom says, if I wanted to cut, I would. And I get fairly frequent trims, so I'm not against scissors.)

And if I kept being tempted to cut, I would ask myself why I was growing... Maybe, if that kept happening, long hair wasn't really what I wanted. Maybe I'd be happier with short hair -- and that's fine, too. (I like my hair and face with pixie cuts and short bobs. And with long hair, too.)

bubbles_87
December 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
yeah its hard to fight the urge to cut cause my hair is at an awkard stage...so I fixed my old extensions and put fake bangs on me and it looks horrid with my short hair! so Im not doing that. I have scissors in every room of the house lol so hmm I might have my mom hide them from me. I do want my hair to grow long down to my waist soo yeah im glad i joined LHC im off to a new hair journey! first step: No cutting!

Bonkers57
December 9th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt. Even now I don't want to spend any more than I have to. Maybe letting mine go all feral (no trimmings) is the way to go for a while

be very, very broke and unable to afford a haircut

i've been wanting to even out my ends/thicken my hemline for 4 or 5 months, but seriously couldn't afford the $25-30. recently my longest section reached the waistband of my pants, and now i just can't bear to lose even 1/2"!

I know you're addressing the OP, but I still appreciate the encouragement from you and others on this board :) Thanks!

now that you've joined LHC, maybe looking at all the pretty long hair pictures will help you stay away from the scissors. and i see you haven't posted your hair length yet...maybe once you put up the number of inches, and start tracking your progress, you'll just want to see the number grow!

welcome, btw!

alys
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I don't, actually, and therin lies my problem. When I want a cut I go get one.

JamieLeigh
December 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I don't cut, because I remember how unhappy I was when I was trying to grow out from a style I absolutely hated. Bangs are cute, and they'd look good with my face...but I have a huge cowlick in the front of my hairline and they wouldn't lay down if I paid them to, not even with gel (that just made them separate more, since the hair up front is finer than the rest) Even if I do my faux-side bang with an updo, I still have to absolutely fight with it to behave. So I know in the end I'm just happier and saving time doing what nature intended for me to do. And my dad's genes, thank you OH so much. :rolleyes: :p

slz
December 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
This - well in my case, even worse : my problem is I know I need to trim a bit but I can't seem to get around to doing it ! Later .... :o

pinchbeck
December 9th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah one of the reasons why i feel the urge to cut is how ugly my hair is when it grows pass my chin it gets all crazy and my hair flips out in different areas so I trim it to get rid of that look. Then I see so many cute styles on T.V or magazines and I want to try it. its hard for me and glad Im not the only one.

LOL I think we should start a cutting disorder thread for those of us who are itching for bangs or wanting to cut hair because it looks weird or whatever. Well I ended up NOT cutting my hair at all...instead I massaged my scalp for 5 minutes and I feel good.

I have a cutting disorder, too! It is horrible and has kept my length just below bsl for a few years now. My urges stem from my hair's length below bsl because it gets harder to manage even though my hair is unprocessed and oiled. In addition, my son disapproves of it. My hair will peeve me off and I will take the scissors to it and cut large amounts off (3" - 4") at one time. Afterward, I think to myself, "why the heck did I do that?" Than the cycle begins again. It is horrible and I will likely never have very long hair.

Now, about your wanting to cut your bangs. Why not let them get past the point where they drive you nuts? Try it because maybe...just maybe getting over this stage will cause your hair to behave the way you want it to. I love the suggestions of clip-on bangs that was mentioned on this thread. That is way cool. Remember, when people follow trends they all look like clones. There is no individuality to set anyone apart.:)

Keildra
December 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I think of the worst haircut I ever had and that keeps me from cutting. Also I watch a bunch of movies or TV shows where there's long hair and it diminishes the urge

bubbles_87
December 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah I definitely dont want to cut my hair. Im going to try not to focus about the awkardness of it and leave it be. I will try my hardest! I think Im gonna start posting up pictures of Nina Dobrev all over my room so I can remind myself that my hair will turn out like hers someday without cutting! Have any of you seen vampire Diaries? I love how long, one length, and straight her hair looks in the show she is one of my inspirations for long hair including you wonderful ladies and gents.

peachrose
December 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I found that the urge to cut diminished as my hair got longer. Once it was past APL or so I started to feel more optimistic about getting to my goal. I also agree with other people's suggestions of the 2 week rule and hiding your scissors. Hang in there!

feralnature
December 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM
(1) Step away from the scissors!

(2) Abide by the two week rule!

(3) If you want long hair, don't cut it!

Those are my rules. I have not had scissors even near my hair in over two years! My siggy pic is from way back at Easter. My avatar is from when I joined up here. I will update with a new pic soon. No plans on cutting anytime soon either.

Bene
December 10th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I've gotten my b/f to be my hair sponsor. I've watched enough tv to figure out that AA works like that a little. I simply go to him and tell him "I feel like cutting" and he talks me down.

Athena's Owl
December 10th, 2009, 03:22 AM
something no one in the thread has said yet:

If you want long hair, you're going to have to wait for it.

go back and look at the replies to your posts. notice what I did: that the respondents who say this isn't an issue, or if you want long hair, don't cut it, or this isn't a problem I have. now take a look at the hair length they have currently in the profiles, and notice that every single person in this thread who has waist length hair or longer have all replied in this way. they don't have to struggle with the urge to cut, because they don't *have* the urge to cut. That's why they have longer than waist length hair.

take some time to ask people how long ago they started growing, and from what length, etc. you're going to find in every case that it's years. years.

the hair you want is years from now. your hair is chin length now? hair grows an average of six inches in a year? that means it'll be Christmas 2010 when your hair will be APL. that's a couple inches longer than shoulder length. in 2011, it's going to be bra-strap length. 2012 will see your hair down to your hips. If. IF.

If you care for it carefully, protect the ends with protective styles, and don't go hacking at it with scissors. If you really want long hair, if it's actually right for you, if it is worth it to you, you will wait for it.

The members of LHC whose hair you admire - they waited for that hair. patiently, and some more patiently than others. most of us do not understand this urge to cut that you describe, because it runs counter to the fastest way to get long hair, and that's what you want, right? the fastest way to get the long hair you want?

then wait.

nuxa
December 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
hi there just joined this forum and I confess!:justy:

I suffer from the same evel ... well, more like a styling adiction!!! And that just keeps me from growing my hair although I've been wanting long hair ever since I can remember...:boohoo:

Just two months ago I just cold not resist and dyed my hair black at home... next month I got fed up with it and went to hairdresser to take the color out and dye it again a light brown! but it got fried from de proces and I had to cut it...
Just two weeks ago I though it would be good to cut just a litle bit again (just to take of any splits left) ... but the hairdresser got it totally wrong and not only did she cut waaaaay too much (barely shoulder lenght), she layerd it :wail:
Cryed for 3 days and stil depressed!!!
And lets not even talk about all the home cutting...

So I just made myself the promise not to cut, or color, or use the hairdyer for a year... and joined your forum for some extra motivation :) there are so many beatifull manes here :bowtome:
So hope I can control this addiction ... I just what long hair sooooo badddd

Thanks**

ReadingRenee
December 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
hmmm I only had that problem when I was growing out damaged hair. I had a hard time not cutting the damage completely out which would have left me with like 2 inches of hair. But once all the damage was gone, the only trouble I had was not coloring it. Which leads to more damage which leads me to want to cut it.

I notice I have this weird thing that when I get the hair I have been striving for I tend to want to change it immediately. Get the color I wanted, want to dye it again. Get the length I wanted, want to cut again. So I had no trouble getting it long but once it was as long as I wanted, I cut it. So maybe I should set a really long goal length or something!

But I totally recommend the two week rule. My rule is if every single day for 2 weeks I want to cut it, then I can. But if any day of those two weeks I waver or Im glad I didn't cut it, then I start the two weeks over again. That really helped me do things like grow out henna and damage.

Good luck! ;)

Armelle
December 10th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I remember what my hair looked like when it was shorter. EEK.

Pear Martini
December 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'm glad it finally has a name ('Cutting Disorder'!) Maybe we need to start a group: CNSA - Cutters-Not-So-Anonymous, I mean, we've already said who we are, lol!! I'm posting an album titled 'History' to show how I've run the gamut. Maybe it does tie to what you said about self-image; I'm rarely satisfied.

Now I see this current attempt to grow my hair as proof that I can stick with something, and curiosity as to how I'd look with long hair now. Even at it 'longer' lengths, it was still short enough to style. I've discovered that I truly am a bangs/fringe person, so I'll continue to wear them.

Even if I end up shaving myself bald, I'll not let shame keep me from LHC; I've seen that it's a great support system if/when you fall off the wagon. :o

Lol, I agree with you 100% Has anyone started that group yet?

I have never had "short" bangs like the ones in your picture but have been thinking about trying them out. My real problem tho is getting bored with my color and tweaking it whenever my hair seems healthy enough to tweak. Its so bad!

I have not colored my hair since June, but I have so much damage I need to grow out before I can even consider playing with color again!