PDA

View Full Version : "Long hair runs in the family"

ICor.11:15
December 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Ok, so just wondering how many have close relatives who also have long hair? (let's figure at least 25 inches and longer)?

Include yourself.:)

I've got me(42.5 inches), mom(45inches), sister(40's), aunts(25-40's), cousins - including guy (25-40's), mother-in-law(50's), sister-in-laws (30-35?), ......I think there's probably like 15 of us - that's not counting second cousins and beyond!!

For those of you who are doing their best to grow their beautiful hair, keep up the good work!:) have patience and in due time you'll see results! You've got my full support!:cheese:

let's see what we find...do your research, you may find you're not the only one with long hair in your family!!

2peasinapod
December 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The only family member I know of is my mom (waist at longest). I've asked, but nobody else really seemed to try and grow their hair very long.

I seem to have the same texture as my mom (the wave angles the same way and at the same place, too!), so I hope I have the same hair genes. I've never had hair past my shoulders before, so I'll just have to wait and see!:)

BranwenWolf
December 7th, 2009, 10:40 PM
My mom had hers past classic in college. Her mom kept it short most of the time I think, and my grandma's grandma had loooooong hair, probably knee length. My grandma remembers looking into her coffin and seeing the huge braids.

shadowclaw
December 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I have the longest hair in my family that I know of, and my hair is only 31 inches and somewhere between BSL and waist.

The closest in length is a second cousin who is five and has BSL hair. Of course, her hair is not very long as far as inches are concerned, since she is so small :) Next would be a tie between my niece and one of my aunts, who both have hair at about APL. I can't really speak of how many inches that is, since I've never measured their hair!

Oh, I do have an uncle whose hair is probably close to BSL, although he is balding a little and keeps it in a ponytail. My hair is still longer :D Other than those four, most of my female relatives have hair at the shoulder or shorter (mostly shorter), and the rest of my male relatives have very short hair or no hair.

motormuffin
December 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I think I'm the only one. My step brother had long hair for a little bit. My great grandma is the only one I can think of that had long hair...until she died at 98. It was always in a bun so I have no idea how long it was.

Gumball
December 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I have the longest hair in my family that I'm currently aware of. My cousin seems like the second longest at about BSL to mid back the last time I saw her. It looks like long hair runs in my exact part of the family. 8)

Roseate
December 7th, 2009, 11:37 PM
My brother is the longest longhair in the family, he's 6'4" and at tailbone. I don't know the inches, but since I'm 5'2", I'd probably have to grow to knee to catch up to him!

Jeni
December 7th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I have the longest hair in my family. In fact I don't think anyone in my family (I'm not counting people I don't really know like 2nd cousins once removed..) that has had hair this long and I'm only at 29".

My brother has the 2nd longest, it hits around the top of his shoulders I believe. It use to be longer in HS, more like APL.

Were a family of short haired people, my hair is beyond freakishly long to them (which they tell me all the time).

Alun
December 8th, 2009, 12:03 AM
My immediate family (DW, DS, DD) all have long hair. Other relatives, not so much, if atall.

masterofmidgets
December 8th, 2009, 01:18 AM
My mom had waist length hair when she was in college, although she started wearing it shorter when I was a kid, and her sister bounces back and forth between mid-back and tailbone length. I think my dad had some kind of horrifying mullet thing when he was in his twenties, but it doesn't bear speaking of.

Calista
December 8th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I only have one close relative - my mother, and she keeps her hair short. She did have long hair as a small child. In my extended family there isn´t anyone with long hair, either.

sapphire-o
December 8th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I'm the only one with long hair on my side of the family, all blood relatives have bob or shorter. DH is the one with longest hair on his side of the family. His sisters all have shoulder length, his mom pixie, his dad bald. We both kinda defy family traditions. :D Our family's definition of "long hair" is shoulder length.

babarobot
December 8th, 2009, 02:45 AM
My mom and her sisters all had classic length hair. They all cut it off when they got married-always right before the wedding. My younger sister had hip length hair until fairly recently, but had to cut it off because of years worth of damage due to straightening and lightening it.

Alaia
December 8th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Nobody. Just me. *sad violin* :p

My dad used to have long hair though (in the 70s), but never longer (curly) than MBL.

Mum hates long hair, though hers has gotten longer recently since she hasn't been bothered to go to a salon.

freckles
December 8th, 2009, 04:42 AM
my dad used to have long (I would guess not quite APL) hair when I was a kid, but for the last few years it's been short. My two aunts on my dad's side have long hair - one has straight hair that varies between APL and waist, the other has hair that looks shoulder length or a little more, but it's curly so I'm counting that as pretty long - my great grandma apparently had very long hair (knee +). That's about it. Oh, and I'm (nearly!) at BSL.

Carolyn
December 8th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm the only one. All the SIL's (4) have a version of a pixie. I have one cousin who had waist length hair the last time I saw her about 4 years ago. I have no idea if she still has long hair. I have other female cousins but I haven't seen any of them in at least 25 years. So it's just me doing my long hair thing all by myself.

pepperminttea
December 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
My mother had long hair in college, around classic length from how she describes it. Now she has short hair; "long hair's for the young." Psh, I say, but I suppose it's her hair. The only other person I can think of is my dad's cousin, who has had MBL hair for as long as I've known her - beautiful natural blonde, slowly greying, 1a (or at least, I've never seen it anything but pinstraight and she's not the kind to own a straightening iron). Wonderful to see in sunlight.

Apart from that, it's just little ol' me. :) My eldest brother did try to grow his out for a while, but gave up before he hit chin length (though I think that was mostly due to pressure from his job - bleh.)

halo_tightens
December 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM
There's no one yet-- but I'm almost APL now and my mom started growing out when I did, and she's at a solid APL now!

(I think she needs to trim a couple of inches so we can be the same :eyebrows:) (No, not really, I guess)

Anje
December 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I've been the only one for a long time. Once they went to college, though, my brothers stopped getting regular haircuts, and both have ponytails now.

zule
December 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Everyone has kept their hair short except for both grandmothers. One was knee-length and the other's dragged onto the floor about two or three feet. I saw it down one time only before she put up her hair in braids. She was a redhead, too, with thick hair (thinner at the ends, of course). Incredible hair.

My mother's hair is now about two inches long. IMO, it looks awful. She doesn't have the bone structure to do that. But it's her decision.

squee
December 8th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Everyone in my family has short hair in my family. My great aunt is to her waist last I checked, my aunt at her waist as well and I am at my tailbone and step-mom at classic. My 2nd cousin did have hair to her tailbone, then she chopped it all off, I think she is growing it all out again. My bio-mom, last I looked it was BSL, could be longer now for all I know.

Gothic Lolita
December 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I have the longest hair in my family with tailbone. My sister is second with BSL, but our mother had waist length a few years ago until she decided she wanted it short. It suits her well, but she had awesome hair, very thick all over. My grandmother now wears the standard gradma-style (as I call it) but when she was a child/teenager, she had floorlength hair she always kept in braids. She also has extremly thick hair that's naturally black. She is 70 now and still has no grey hair except at her temples. My father (her son) wore is hair longish in his youth, but keeps it short now. But it seems as if many of my relatives had long hair at some point in their lives.

I remember once seeing a family picture of all my great-auntes and they all had the prettiest long hair you can imagine. I'm often told that I resemble them very much (though I never got to know them, unfortunately) and that my haircolor looks exactly the same. Hopefully, I'll grow so long, too.

Tressie
December 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I have enjoyed reading it verh much! I have the longest hair in my immediate family right now. My niece used to wear her hair long, but has recently cut it back in a more modern maybe APL style. Her hair is extrememly thick and beautiful!

In high school my DS had about BSL or longer thick shiny hair, which she wears short and curly now. It looks really good on her, though. My Mom's hair was longish (shoulder to mid back) and beautiful in older photos I've seen, but she kept is on the shorter side in later years.

My maternal grandmother wore her hair in a bun, and once only I saw her take it down and comb it with her hair comb and repin it. I would say it was at least classic. My great grandmother wore her hair in a bun, but I never saw it down. My paternal grandmother wore her hair short and curly, but it was shoulder length or longer in a childhood photo I have.

Keildra
December 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Every one else in my family has this shoulder to APL standard, I and my oldest sister are the only ones that have grown past that and we're both BSL. Although I do remember a time when my mom had what I think was between hip and classic, it was so long ago I only remember it faintly.

theboredelf
December 8th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Mine pretty much trumps most of my family at 36"/tailbone.

My mother's is around APL at the moment, but she's had it at waist before. (Mostly because she "didn't have time to make a salon appointment," not because she likes her hair that long... :rolleyes:) All of my aunts have shoulder-length hair or shorter, same with my cousins.

Quixii
December 8th, 2009, 08:24 AM
My mum's hair is an inch shorter than mine, and I have a cousin who's hair is approaching her waist. Other than that, no one seems interested in growing their hair out. My older brother keeps his buzzed. :shrug:

Marika
December 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM
My "hair genes" are really bad from both sides of my family. Everyone has short and really thin hair. Me and my sister are exceptions. My hair is between hip and tailbone and my sister's hair is around waist. Our hair is also thicker. But even though my sister has long hair too, she isn't a "long hair" like we are on this forum!:)

Spike
December 8th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Hmmm . . . the last time my hair was long (trimmed as opposed to cut) it was TBL.

Mother wears hers between BSL and waist (cut).

Brother had his to "can I call this waist" (trimmed) for a while, then the baldness gene kicked in and he buzzed it.

Grandmother wore hers to knee (trimmed) but she was under 5' tall (scoliosis--she would have been 6' tall with a straight spine, so figure she would really have been classic in terms of calculating terminal length).

So I may have some pretty decent hair genes, but don't know because no one but me grows to terminal. TBL was with some atrocious hair care--I was always finding white dots and splits. Rock climbing without braids or buns didn't help either. :scared:

Angela_Rose
December 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I've the longest hair by far in all of the family that I know. The wife-to-be of a cousin has waist-length, but beyond that, everyone else is above APL with some pixies thrown in for good measure.

burns_erin
December 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
All three of my sisters, and my father have long hair, and my mom had long hair when she was younger. Almost all of my dad's family had long hair (male and female) And once upon a time my mom's side the women mostly had long hair though none of the ones still living do.

No super longies, but an awful lot of waist and classic lengths.

Monsterkitti
December 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I think Ive probaby got the longest hair of my family at the moment. Most of the women have somewhere betweeen pixie and APL apart from my DS who has BSL and has had waist before and my DM who had somewhere near waist when she was younger. None of the guys have grown their hair as far as I know.

sweetestday
December 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
My mom and my two sisters always had long hair... as in waist length or more sometimes. Now I'm the longest, and the others are shoulder length and above.

may1em
December 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Just me. My aunt had long hair in college, but now she keeps it in a pixie cut. It's thick, and she doesn't like how heavy it feels. My sister wants longer hair, but has been hanging out at APL for a while now.

Clarisse
December 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
My younger siblings (two sisters and a brother) have long gair. My sisters are at waist, and my brother is about TB. However, their hair is super thin and their ends not in a too good condition. My mom had waist-length hair when she was younger, but hormonal changes, bleach and blowfrying has made her hair break off at about APL. My grandma has rather long, healthy and thick hair. My grandma' grandma had thick, black, waist-length hair till the day she died, 90 years old.
We have all kinds of hair in our family.

LadyLongLocks
December 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have the longest hair in my family. I never knew of any other family member to grow their hair very long. I guess I will be the first one. Maybe it will inspire future generations to try.

paintedmuse
December 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM
My aunt had hip-length hair when she was young. Now it's about shoulder length. Apparently it used to be very lovely; thick, and a reddish-brown colour, since her hair is naturally mid-dark brown and she used henna.
My mom had hair about BSL to waist when she got me, now its between APL and BSL.
Other than that, no longhairs in my family :)

slynn41202
December 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I currently have long hair, and my sister grows hers out and chops it off - I think it's long now, but she lives 1000 miles away, so I'm not sure.

My great-grandmother had long white hair, that she always kept in a bun.

Finoriel
December 8th, 2009, 01:31 PM
My great grandmother was the last one in my family with long hair. She always kept it in a bun, but I guestimate that it was about classic length.
Most other relatives keep it in a fashionable cut/colour about APL or shorter.
Yeah, I´m the oddball of the family :silly:

sweetestday
December 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I forgot about my aunt... she's actually related through marriage. I've never seen it down, but it's so cute to hear my uncle brag about how lovely it is when she combs it out at night, and how it goes all the way to her knees. I'd never know otherwise because she always has it in the same pretty updo. I've heard my uncle brag about her hair lots, though. So sweet!

LawyerGirl
December 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM
My great-aunt on my dad's side is Olmec and has long black hair that is braided in two braids with a ribbon in them. But I dont know how long it is exactly because I've never seen it down.

She's the only one.

Hay22
December 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
My mom and I have the longest hair in our family - both at 25". But it's funny because she's a super-curly, so while my wavy hair is between APL and BSL, hers is barely shoulder length unless you stretch it. Everyone else has shorter than shoulder length hair.

My aunt, who's only a few years older than me, used to have the longest hair out of everyone I knew (between BSL and waist) and it was definitely my growing inspiration, but she cut it to a bob earlier this year.

enfys
December 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Now? I'm the only one.

My mum had waist length hair in her 20s and again in her early 50s but her hair grows in mental dierections and it was too hard to her to manage. Honestly, I've never known hair like it!

My sister has had tailbone length, but cut it off last week, less than a week after her wedding. It wasn't in great condition and it means I'm in the lead again, so I don't mind.

Historically I only know of my maternal great grandmother having long hair, but even then if wasn't knee of anything awesome, closer to classic I think. My mum only saw it loose once, as a child.

Xanthippe
December 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I was excited when I saw my 16 year old cousin a few weeks ago and she had classic length hair! I hadn't seen her in about three years. Other than that, no one has long hair. My grandparents all had short hair. Even in old pictures, my great grandma had a bob. Not even me anymore since I cut it back to shoulder.

Belledandy
December 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
My great grandmother on my mom's side had very long hair. My aunts and uncles would talk about how she could wrap it around her waist three times and have some left to sit on. She always wore it up in a crown wrapped around her head. Although my aunt, various cousins and some step family have long hair, my mom and I are the last ones on this side of the family who continue to have long hair. I think I have the longest at the moment because my mom cut hers to mid back.

krn2891
December 8th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have the longest hair in my family. My mom has had the grandma cut since before I was born. She kept my hair short while I was growing up but when I was 10 she let me have control so I started growing it out. Cut 18 inches my senior year of high school due to a perm. It is now the longest it has ever been. My mom does not understand my obession with long hair but she at least humors me.

Alexannee10
December 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I'm the only one .. :(

ChrissieM
December 8th, 2009, 08:02 PM
It's just me and one cousin (I haven't seen him in 12 years, though) who have long hair. My mother and her sisters all had long hair (BSL or so) when they were in high school and college, but my mom cut hers into a pixie when she was 21 and never looked back.

talecon
December 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
my mom and one of her sisters are the only ones I've heard that kept their hair long. however, my mom has kept her hair short for years. my sisters used to have tailbone length hair when they were younger now the longest one has about bsl.

TheEndlessOcean
December 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Now that I think about it I probably have the longest hair in my entire extended family, which is pretty dang big. A lot of the girls have shoulder/APL or so, but that's about it.

cassie_g
December 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Me (obviously), my mom is a little past waist, my grandma has been to waist several times and is nearly there currently, my aunt used to have waist length but cut to shoulder last year. Other than that I don't really know if anyone's had long hair.

Qamar
December 8th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I've got the longest hair in my family at tailbone but my son currently has hair to his midback and used to have it to his waist. My mother's hair was a bit over waist until she hit her mid 40's and chopped it to shoulder (which looked horrible on her, btw). My youngest daughter's hair was hip length and wavy, but she had to cut to BSL because of bleach damage. She's growing hers back out again. My honey Les is growing his curls out from nearly crewcut length to his current curls at shoulder (stretched to BSL), so I guess we are a family of somewhat longhairs. :)

Qamar
December 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Everyone has kept their hair short except for both grandmothers. One was knee-length and the other's dragged onto the floor about two or three feet. I saw it down one time only before she put up her hair in braids. She was a redhead, too, with thick hair (thinner at the ends, of course). Incredible hair.

OOOOooooo. Do you have pictures?

ICor.11:15
December 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Great family hair history!! I look forward to reading more!!

Will try looking for pics of long hair in the fam - I know I've got one of me and my mom when I was little!:)

Irishred
December 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM
OK, 25 inches on the average female in my family is APL to BSL. Just me, my DD, my sister and 2 SILs. DD is at waist and we will probably keep her there for a while until she starts helping a little more with care or learns to keep her hair in up-dos. Sis is about mid back (2b C iii - iv if there was one LOL) with layers she claims enhance her deep wave but I did not like the way her hair looked - choppy. My mom has never had her hair below her shoulders, often colors and used to perm constantly. 2 of 3 SIL usually have about APL length, sometimes shorter sometimes longer but I think they can count. 3rd SIL had waist length until she had their DD and now has a pixie. Niece goes between shoulder and APL along with her DD.

Adding cousins and their kids (2nd once removed?)... about 12 more can be added to the APL-BSL range... I think, most of them I don't know well because they live to far away to visit often. I know my maternal grandma always had short hair, my paternal grandmother I think had longer hair when she was young (buns in photos) but I do not know how long. We have some really old photos that show ladies with buns and a couple men with beyond collar length but I do not know how long so I don't know what runs in the family.

IF I added DH's side... his SIL and 3 nieces all have APL to BSL length. DH had long hair as a teen but I have never even seen a picture of him like that. He thinks his mom might have one but has not seen/talked to her in over 18 years.

rhubarbarin
December 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Opposite here. My hippie aunts had long hair in the 60s and 70s, but it's been no longer than shoulder for decades. My grandmother and my mom always kept theirs super-short and I haven't even seen my of my cousins with hair longer than APL. Me and my sister, growing up, were always the long-haired ones, and we rarely got past waist.

JamieLeigh
December 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM
NONE are still alive from my family, except of course, me. Not a single person lets their hair get past APL without either a major chop - or a major layer-job that turns into a major chop in a month's time. :rolleyes:

My husband's family, however, is chock full. Four of his dad's sisters have long hair. The shortest measures in at just above BSL (and she's on a quest to grow hers longer), and the longest is at hip length (she's on a quest to have hair like mine, lol). They're so awesome. :D His mom, however, as much as she gushes over mine and admonishes me for not wearing it down to family events, will not let her own pass her ears. :p

Liave Ekeli
December 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm the only one in my immediate family who has hair past 25 inches right now. My mom has about shoulder length hair now, but she's had longer in the past and now usually lets it grow to APL/BSL before she cuts it back to shoulder. Other than that some of my cousins have long-ish hair, but nothing beyond BSL that I know of...

mrs carol
December 9th, 2009, 07:58 PM
My hair is at tail bone length and my daughter's hair is almost there. We are the only ones with long hair in our family.

JaneinMarch
December 9th, 2009, 08:08 PM
My maternal grandmother had hair that was at least hip length, and she was about 5'9". My sister now has the longest in my immediate family; she is around 5'5" and her hair is tailbone length. I'm working on having the next longest :D.

maddog_running
December 9th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, currently? My cousin out west has the longest I think at BSL. My hippy aunts and uncles have around shoulder length, maybe a bit longer. My parents married with waist length each, it's how they met :). But both have cut it off in dealing with jobs and children over the years, mom looks good with her pixie cut since we both have very fine-fine hair and pops is going bald. My brother had BSL (and mutton chops!) till last year. I didn't inherit the lovely thick black wavy hair my dad sported in his youth, instead it's a dark ash blond and soft as silk like mum.

My grandparents all had short hair so far as I know, they were of that age (born 1914-1918).

Chamy
December 10th, 2009, 04:13 AM
My mother and i are the first women in our family to have somewhat straight hair, everyone else have really really curly hair, sort of afro style, and therefor not very long. My mom is waist-length and i am wanting long hair(although i had waist length in the past). so no it doesnt run in the family, but maybe from my mother and on ;)

Isa-belle
December 10th, 2009, 04:31 AM
My sisters used to have long hair, too. Not quite as long as mine, but between BSL and waist length (my younger even reached hip length this year, she was inspired by my hair :) ). We used to be the three long-haired sisters :)

They both cut their hair in the fall... My older sis has shorter hair than I can ever remember her wearing (shoulder length). My younger sis's hair is BSL. She said it was too much of a hassle. It's their choice, obviously, and they do look great either way. ;)

My mother, however, remarked on this in a way that implied I was kind of a freak for insisting on keeping my hair so long, in contrast to my more "normal" sisters. :roll:

... I don't think she's quite realized I'm hoping to reach mid-thigh by the end of next year. :lol:

My mother has very short hair that she insists on perming several times a year (she's been doing this for over 30 years). Her mother, though, had the most stunning long white hair. I'm hoping to have the same hair when I grow older :love:

Locksmith
December 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I definitely have the longest hair in my family at present. My mum's used to be BSL before she got fed up of it and cut it short, and my dad used to have brilliant APL-when-curly thick dark 2c hair when he was in his early twenties. :D I've always wished I inherited it ever since I saw the photos! My brother used to be APL too, though his is more like 1c. He cut it before going to secondary school though, because he was so sick of people thinking he was a girl (in fairness, he was rather... pretty for a boy at that age. :p ). My grandmother's hair has been short for decades now, but she used to have it classic length when she was younger. Hope I can get mine that long - though I'm not vastly optimistic, as I'm nearly a foot taller than her... :p

bigmama8
December 10th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I have the longest hair in my family. My grandmother had long hair that she always braided and pinned wrapped around her head. I only saw hers down a few times when I was very young but I think it was between tailbone and classic length. It was beautiful shiny black and my love of long hair was because of hers. She would only use rainwater to wash it. She never dyed it and it had no grays until she was in her 70's and got cancer.

When I was young, my mom had hair about APL or BSL. It was beautiful but she started cutting it shorter and shorter when I was a teen. Currently she keeps it very short, and I doubt she ever grows it any longer.

abritta3
December 10th, 2009, 11:32 AM
My great grandma had classic length...quite wavy and beautiful...she had thick hair, a desirable Cherokee trait. My grandma had tailbone length and my mom and I have had up to waist length. I never tried to grow my hair past that but I am open to the idea now :D

chloeishere
December 10th, 2009, 12:35 PM
No one in my family, including aunts, uncles, or cousins. My mom tried to grow her hair in the 70s, and it stopped at about APL-BSL, she has baby fine hair though and doesn't take very good care of it.

MoonMaiden90
December 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Just me and one aunt. My family is fairly practical, so the women mostly keep it around BSL. However, now that they are getting older, some of them have started to crop it really short, like older women tend to do. My paternal grandmother keeps hers really short, which is best, as she can't take care of herself anymore without assistance, and my maternal grandmother always keeps her hair in a bun, though the last time I saw it down, it was about midback. I wish she would leave it down, as it is a beautiful pure white mane.

lindenblossom
December 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
This is very interesting!

Currently I have the longest hair in the family, but my father's mother (when she was alive) had very long blonde hair. She was born in Poland and moved to the States as a child, but throughout her life she always kept her hair traditional--very long, usually in a braided bun or crown braid. Her sisters kept their hair shorter in the fashionable hairdos of the time (1940s/1950s) and she always looked different and very unique.

I think I inherited her hairtype (although I am not as blonde anymore).
Both of my parents have dark hair...

Alun
December 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM
My mother has very short hair that she insists on perming several times a year (she's been doing this for over 30 years). Her mother, though, had the most stunning long white hair. I'm hoping to have the same hair when I grow older :love:

Hmmm ... I think I see a pattern here.

Although my mum doesn't perm her hair, she's never had long hair, and it took me years to realise that her dislike of my long hair has little to do with my being male, but is far more general than that.

Her mother, OTOH, had long uncut hair, although I never saw it worn down myself.

I guess the pattern is something like, mum has short hair in defiance, because gran's hair is very long, and then can't understand why son/daughter wants long hair!

Nothing against my parents or other family members, but my gran was my favourite person in all the world. Maybe on some deep, subconscious, level that I'm not even aware of myself, that's why I have long hair? I don't think I'm going to wear mine in a crown braid anytime soon, though, LOL!

ArienEllariel
December 11th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Several of my aunts on my dad's side have or had long hair at some point in their lives. One of my cousins did for sure. My mom had BSL hair for a while.. It will be interesting to see if mine will grow long. Seeing as my mom's side of the family is small and we haven't met some, I'm not sure of my other relatives. My dad's side gives me hope though! ^^

curlylocks85
December 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM
The only person I know of at this moment who has long hair is my cousin and I would say she is below BSL, but above waist.

Amara
December 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have all short hairs in my family!

JCFantasy23
December 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Everyone in my family, besides me, has shoulder length and shorter. I must be the oddball

EmpressRi
December 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM
My aunt and late grandma, both with tailbone length hair.

ItalianFlower
December 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Um...both my sisters have long hair, one to tailbone and the other to waist. My cousin-in-law had classic but recently chopped it ALL off...but that's it.

Kirzja
December 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM
I have a small family and none of my family members have long hair.
So I will be the only one, once my hair gets to a decent length. :)

DanielleRenae
December 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Just me. So lonely...I guess that's why I'm on here :)

joyful373
December 29th, 2009, 02:58 PM
On my birth family, I have to go back to my great great grandmother. !! My husband had long hair before we were married :) So it's the two of us :)

Copasetic
December 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I can't think of a single family member with long hair. Everyone in my family keeps their hair very short.

daydreamer
December 29th, 2009, 03:35 PM
My sister and one of my aunts both have waist-length and sometimes hip-length hair, same as me! Everyone else is just below the shoulder or shorter.

WhitsEnd
December 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I definately am the only one on my side of the family that has long hair. My sister has about bsl but she said today that she was about to get it cut. All of my family have very short hair. However, all of the women on my husband's side of the family (in-laws) have long hair (all pentacostal).

PraiseCheeses
August 29th, 2011, 01:40 AM
*Bump!*

This thread made for interesting reading, so I'm resurrecting it.

Some of my earliest memories are of my aunt (by marriage), with her slightly wavy rich black hair nearly at classic length. Her husband, my uncle, had a mid-back length pony tail and still does. I idolized their daughter, my dark-haired cousin with waist-length hair who was a few years older than me.

My aunt lost that fabulous hair to cancer, and has since grown it back - but only to shoulder length, and heavily layered. My cousin's hair got shorter and shorter until it became an ear-length bob on her wedding day. (She looked exquisite and inspired a jaw-length chop of my own.) My mother has never had hair longer than halfway between shoulder and APL; my grandmother was a child of the 20s and never had hair longer than shoulder. So now it's just my uncle and me - and our hair isn't even that long (yet)!

Rusticular
August 29th, 2011, 01:59 AM
In my lifetime, I was always the only one with 'ridiculously long hair'. Most of the family has hair above the shoulder, bar two or three APL.

I think one of my aunts had almost waist-length hair at one point in her life(not that I'd really count her as family anymore, the psychotic witch). When my mother was younger she had waist-length for a few years, but I've only seen one photo of that. Dad had about APL throughout his teens. Barring me, my sister's got the next longest(and oh my GOD does it grow fast!). If she let it grow, it'd be gorgeously thick and pin-straight. Lucky thing, I could have snuck in while she was sleeping and stolen her follicles..

AshleyTheRed
August 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM
My mom has TB length hair, and my cousin (who is the same age as me) Has AP level hair.
Every other female has Shoulder Length hair or shorter.

kiwiipop
August 29th, 2011, 02:37 AM
:):):):):):)

Mesmerise
August 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM
My family is too small to take a really representative sample :) Coming from a family where both parents are only children = no aunts, uncles, cousins etc.!

So, from the people in my family I know. My two grandmothers, my mum and my sister... well I never knew either grandmother to have long hair (mind you, one I only saw twice while growing up), and my mother briefly had errm maybe SL length hair in the early 70s, but it's been short ever since, and was short while she was growing up.

My sister has had BSL+ length hair before, but not often. There was a time I remember it getting quite long, over 12 years ago, but mostly she's worn it short or shoulder to APL. My hair has been longer a greater % of the time than my sister's , but even I've never had LONG long hair, always just BSL+ "long" hair. I've often had longer hair ambitions but generally damage my hair too much or get sick of it :rolleyes:. Anyway NO MORE, I'm growing my hair LOOONG NOW!

darklyndsea
August 29th, 2011, 05:29 AM
For the longest time my uncle had waist-length hair, but the last time I saw him it was at...hmm, BSL, maybe? I don't know how long it is now. And I'm at MBL. Other than that, nobody, although I have hopes for my younger brother since he's currently at shoulder length.

Mírien
August 29th, 2011, 05:50 AM
In my family I am the only long hair... :rolleyes: However, mom used to have it long (somewhere btw. bsl and waist) but cut it short after her marriage. Now she keeps it in a bob. Father and brother regularly have about an inch of hair and sister, well, her hair is long by everyday terms. She has shoulder-length curls, which are nearly apl when stretched. However, she is not interested in growing it any longer.
Never mind. :) I have been told some stories of a great-grandma who had a gorgeous, long braid but I do not know how long her hair actually was.

skyblue
August 29th, 2011, 06:01 AM
At the moment my hair is the longest, I'm at 39 inches, I have relatives in Italy that I never met but I've heard nothing about the length of their hair, my sister as a teen had hair that reached a little beyond classic before she cut it short, so I have hope that the genetics are there for me to reach at least that length lol!

Moor_tu_lyfe
August 29th, 2011, 06:03 AM
My Mum has had long hair for most of her life (around her waist) but in recent years, since the greys really took hold, her hair is super thick and she prefers it shorter (about BSL). My Dad has always liked his hair a little longer then most guys, just touching his shoulders. I had a few cousins that had longish hair as kids, but nothing out of the ordinary. I've almost always had fairly long hair (between BSL and Waist). Seem to cut it shorter, then grow it out again.

This time, letting my new sparklies shine through with no hair dye! Hopefully it will make for healthy hair!!

Ligeia_13
August 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Um...I don't think anybody has long hair. Males are all short lengthed. My mum has short hair. My grandmother has short hair. All my aunts have short hair, on both sides. I had three cousins who used to have shoulder length but now are at chin.

I can't speak for as far as my cousin's kids, cause I've never met them but it looks like I'm the only one O_o

metricfuture
August 29th, 2011, 07:10 AM
As far as I know, I've got the longest hair in the family by a long shot (and I'm not even at BSL yet). My family tends to start having kids pretty early and it's almost like a rite of passage to chop it all off above your shoulders after the first one and up to the chin with the second. It's kind of odd, now that I think about it. You can tell how many kids they have by the length of their hair.

elbow chic
August 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
My mom has had her hair at least BSL all her life. I'm not sure how long it is now-- she keeps it up all the time but I'd guess it's around hip.

My grandma's hair looks to be around shoulder length, but it's 3a/3b and I'd imagine it might be APL or more if she ever wore it straight.

bluequeequeg
August 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hmm, my aunts have probably had between MBL and shoulder throughout my life. I've never seen pictures of either of my grandparents with anything longer than shoulder -- usually less. My mother had probably MBL when she got married, but chopped it pretty quick and has kept it above her shoulders since. As for the guys, well, my brother had a white boy afro in high school that rose probably a good half a foot from his head in all directions.

Chetanlaiho
August 29th, 2011, 09:15 AM
My mom has hair that is too short to even really say what kind of length it is xD (longer than spike length but shorter than ear length).

My sister has 'relatively' long-ish hair at shoulder-ish (but it's quite curly) and my other sister has hair a little shorter. None of my family members have long hair that I can think of, maybe my uncle's wife but I don't see her that often.

Edit: Actually I tried looking at photo's of my grandparents and their parents (and so forth) to see if any of them had long hair (to get an indication of my own terminal length) but the only one I could see that did not have short hair wore hers in a bun so I couldn't see how long it was xD

DuckyDot
August 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Me, Mum, Dad. :) We're like the hairy trio :D

celebriangel
August 29th, 2011, 09:37 AM
None of my family have long hair. All the women of my family I know of have APL or shorter, except my two female cousins, who both had about BSL when I last saw them, but that was years ago now.

Mum had waist length blonde hair when she was young, and dad had awesome, thick, poofy MBL hair (exactly like mine, except black and brushed out as was the fashion then :) )

But I'm the sole solitary longhair in my family right now. My 5-year-old male cousin, however, hates haircuts so much that I think/hope he might grow up to be a longhair!

My DBF's family is the total opposite - every single one of them has *thick* long hair. DBF's dad has thick pewter dreadlocks at MBL, DBF's mum has coarse black hair which she grows to waist and gets it chopped to BSL every year, DBF's sister keeps her hair between BSL and waist straightened and dyed a lovely plum colour, and DBF has MBL dark brown hair which heis growing with me :)

So none of my blood relatives are longhairs, but I fit right in with DBF's family!

RainbowHawk
August 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
At various times, several women in my family have had long hair. My sister's hair was waist length when dry & curly, and she's a 3c/4a so wet it was probably at least classic length until she was about 15, when we had a HUGE heat wave and she cut it all to a pixie. These days she wears her hair very short (like a buzz cut with a slightly longer top) and gets her hair cut at least once a month (it grows VERY quickly). I've got a niece with 3a/3b hair which is at least to her waist most of the time, but she's only four so that's not very long. :p Even so, she's had many many haircuts in her lifetime, her hair grows just as quickly as my sister's so even her self-administered haircuts grow out in two or three weeks. At least two feet of hair have been cut off of her head in her four years though-- at *least*. Her last haircut (which brought her up to APL) removed about 4.5", and it's *all* grown back in that time (about 10 weeks).

My mother's hair was classic length back in the 70's, I'm not sure when she cut it short (probably when fashion dictated that long hair was "old fashioned", back in the early 80's) but I've seen pictures. Mine was much longer as a kid, but it hasn't been below BSL since middle school. I'm hoping to get there again soon! :) :cheese:

embee
August 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM
My mom had classic/term length most of her adult life. One sister-in-law had gorgeous waist length hair (red waves, oh my!) until her hair went gray. That sister-in-law's daughter has waist length hair, always worn up or in a braid.

And me. :)

DS's girlfriend has mid-back gorgeous waves/curls that she wears in a low pony most of the time.

Melanie Marie
August 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
A few of my aunts in India have long hair, and possibly a cousin-in-law (about waist length or so). At the very least, including myself, there are three of us. On my dad's side, no one that I know has long hair.

Kelli Kat
August 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
me, my two sons and my niece. Everyone else in the family keeps their hair short.

rowie
August 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
My two sisters have grown their hair thigh length, and my great grandmother had hair to the floor. So I guess I'm blessed? I'm a guy so I don't know if I'll inherit the women in my family's lovely genes. Both grandfathers I have from each side had full thick hair before they passed away at a really old age. So I guess I know I won't be balding.

I'm still curious what my terminal length will be and that is why I decided to grow out my hair.

rowie
August 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM
me, my two sons and my niece. Everyone else in the family keeps their hair short.
From your avatar, your hair doesn't look short. It looks fabulous with a braided bun.

archel
August 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
My sister has hair that is past her waist! It's terminal because she hasn't cut it except light dusting trims in YEARS. She's also trying CO and coconut oil after me telling her about LHC. Her hair is TRULY envy-worthy! She's younger than I am and it is silver and black - so cool! My hair is plain old mousy brown.

So yeah - runs in the family for sure.:D

archel
August 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Also, the older women on my mother's side of the family were Old Regular Baptist and all had very long hair that they had coiffed once a week or so at the salon! It was very cool; however, most of those ladies have passed on now, including my mother who also had hair to her waist. It seems that the younger women don't follow this tradition. (I'm not ORB, just love long hair.)

wishywashy
August 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I've seen pictures of my mom and aunt in the 70's with waist and hip length hair. But they always kept their hair shoulder length when I was a kid. And both of them have kinky curls!! They would literally IRON their hair straight in the 70's

I recently learned that my great great grandmother had hair down to her knees and my cousin has tailbone length hair that she cut from knee length.

It's just good to know that the odds are in my favor having really long hair :cheese:

NativeGirl
August 29th, 2011, 12:43 PM
My entire family has long hair. I have the shortest hair (waist) right now. I'm in the process of growing it back out after losing it during chemo four years ago. Since my sister's keep their hair in buns, I'm not sure how long their hair is - the last I saw they were all at classic length. My brother's have between tailbone and knee length. My mother's hair goes nearly two feet past her feet. My dad has tailbone length hair.

ilovelonghair
August 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
It's hard to say for my family, in my fathers family no one has long hair and never had (maybe my grandmother had?) and in my mothers family I am the only one with proper long hair. One cousin has little past shoulder, it's very thin and can't grow longer. Her brothers have short hair. My aunt never grew it long. My grandmother couldn't grow it long. My mother has had waist lenght at some point. No guys with long hair.
Apparently my great grandmother had 'hair so long she had to cut it due to headaches' so I pictured her with floorlength hair. But then my mother said it was only maybe hip lenght at the most. That's all I know of my family. So I could be the only one with my hair length. Most of us also have quite thin, medium type hair, except for my aunt who has very coarse and thick hair.

racrane
August 29th, 2011, 06:58 PM
My mom's side of the family thinks "long" is SL and I've never met my dad's side of the family. Anyway, I'm the only one who actually likes long hair. They all think it's gross, which makes me upset... but they are entitled to their opinions. I just wish they were more understanding that not everyone *does* share their opinion.

Wanderer09
August 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM
My sister had BSL or longer hair throughout my childhood, but now that she's got young children, she cut it into a bob and has no plans to grow it back. So now I'm the family longhair.

Zesty
August 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Nope. My mom is always marveling at how long my hair is, and saying that her hair would never have grown that long (but then I pointed out that at my age she was getting perms and generally abusing her hair, so she stopped saying that mine won't get any longer). Mom's hair is around APL, maybe a little shorter. Her mother has long hair by most older women's standards, at just past APL, but it's very thin, and fragile because she dyes it, and she always keeps it up. All my male relatives keep their hair short. My paternal grandmother was commenting on my hair and said that hers was so curly and frustrating that it "couldn't have" grown long. She currently has the standard old lady hair cut. So I'm pretty much the only one.

PineappleJello
August 29th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I have hip length hair. My mum has waist length, and my sister is ad BSL. I know my aunt had hair between tlb and classic until about 10 years ago now it's about APL.

Other than that most seem to be APL or higher.

beccababesx
August 30th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Nobody in my family has or has ever had hair past shoulder length! Except for my mum, who after I introduced her to LHC is now growing to BSL, and currently is at nearly APL ::)

Impulsive
September 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
With the exception of my father, all living members of my family have had hair down to at least their shoulders (at most waist) at some point in their life. One by one, they cut their hair, and now, I'm the only one with hair longer than two inches in my family.

gthlvrmx
September 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
Only on my mother's side, the straight haired folks who had the fast growing genes, thick hair, and dark shiny black color. 1a and 1b hair :) My father's side, i suppose my father at once, he had an afro :p Probably if he pulled his hair down, it reached maybe BSL? But on his family, i guess they don't accept their curly hair and keep it short, all the woman keep it short, my cousins especially have it short if it's curly. If it's straight, the girls tend to grow it.
But i am currently the only guy on both sides with hair this long.

battles
September 1st, 2011, 07:21 PM
There aren't many people with long hair in my family. I have an aunt with nearly waist length hair, and I think that's about it. I still consider myself a shortie.

Kyla
September 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
My mother has always had bsl-waist length hair. My father had bsl before I was born (balding now), and my sister's currently bsl. I do believe I have the longest hair in my family. :)

SilentGuardian
September 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM
People on both sides of my family do not like such long hair, except my one cousin. It's somewhere past BSL. I don't like her, so I never see her, so I don't know exactly how long it is.

Megz
September 1st, 2011, 08:55 PM
Hmm! My great grandmother on my mother's side (German/English) had hair down to her hips from what I've seen in pictures. I just realized that all of the women in my family aside from her, except for me, have always had theirs shoulder length or higher. I've always had the longest. Weird, since theirs is a lot easier to manage. Everyone on my dad's side (black/NA) had kinky hair and wore it natural and short, as far as I remember.

The longest I've managed was mid back, but I wasn't practicing healthy hair maintenance then, nor was I trying to go that long lol. Right now it's layered and hits BSL when straight, though I'm thinking about whacking it off to just below the shoulders to allow things to even out (hair broke a few years ago, but is coming back and looking more noticeable). No fun.

rbecks
September 1st, 2011, 08:58 PM
On my dad's side my aunt and my cousin both have longer hair (I think waist, maybe tailbone at points) - but he was adopted so it isn't genetic.

My mom's side on the other hand, have generally had shorter hair, I think the longest my mom's hair has been was about shoulder length with a perm (so maybe apl?) and I'm nearly at waist.

Neneka
September 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM
Only my grandma and my cousin from my fathers side has hair longer than APL. My cousins hair is probably at hip now and my 80 year old grandma is at waist (gorgeous thick and black hair!). I had the third longest hair when it was at BSL. There is some APL hair and also shoulder length hair, a lot of bobs and a couple pixie cuts. Oh, and my sister has the coolest colour, it's violet.

humble_knight
September 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
Mum and both grannies had floorlength hair, so I hope that if I have children one day my future daughter might have good hair genes. If I had a son, I'd encourage him to grow long hair.

Ithonna
September 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I am at 25.5''
Dad has 25''
Mom has 40''
Older brother has 30''
Sister in law has 28''
Grandmother has 29''
Mothers sister has 45''
Great Aunt USED to have floor+ she is like 5'5''. However she cut it to a pixie when her dad (my great grandfather) passed.

(all measurements are approximated.)

AcornMystic
September 5th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I only have only one family member that I know of. My cousin. She has had knee length hair for as long as I can remember with a deep blue streak of hair at the nape of her neck under the mass and would peek out from her mousy/ash hair when exposed. She is your typical hippie that tends to lean more to the flirty side; wearing very whimsical, tastefully tacky and revealing clothing, lots of handmade jewelry and footwear that have the illusion of being sandals but are only delicate chains that cover the tops of her feet, attached at the ankle and toes. She is a fine example of a forest nymph, and lives the lifestyle. She is what I aspire to in terms of hair and lifestyle. Modest but fashionable. ^.^

CornishMaid
September 5th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Both my mum and my mother in law have long hair, they are both about BSL . My mother in law is completely grey and wears her hair in a plait to the side. It looks awesome.

Yame
September 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I have the longest hair in my family and no one else comes even close!

I do believe one of my aunts had WL hair at one point, but she lived far away and I hardly ever saw her, so my mind could be playing tricks on me.