PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Two-Pack of Straightening Irons...

Alia
December 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
...for my mother! She is totally impossible to shop for, so I paid for a set she chose for the holiday. She is the reason I have an aversion to coloring, blow-frying, curling irons, etc. She had the most divine long, fat-curled, dark brown hair ever. I remember taking fallen strands as a little kid and sticking them to my head, hoping I could have such pretty hair.

Mom hated her hair, though...wanted pin straight hair, so she spent years aggressively flattening her poor locks with various heated appliances, the scariest of which was a lurid yellow blowdrier that had a black plastic brush--full of ripped and melted hair-- stuck to it. When her hair began to gray, turning brilliant silver, first boxed color then lengthy, pricey salon visits became routine.

It was almost never was a pretty sight...very brittle and helmet-like. Now, her hair is thin, crispy, and sad. It just seems so not worth it, all the effort, time, and cost. Her mother had lovely silver hair until she died; I'd much rather go that direction.

So, I bought Mom a two-pack of straightening irons and made her happy, but it rather made me sad.

missjessiecakes
December 7th, 2009, 09:33 PM
That is kinda sad but to each her own. My mom had drool worthy waist length hair that was an amazing shade of red and now its a dull brown and tightly curled into a peggy hill. Its good you made her happy but maybe she'll see the light one of these days.

kmangus
December 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Well...if it makes her happy it makes you happy right? :) Sometimes there is no convincing for people...you just have to give em' what they want.

tangocurl
December 8th, 2009, 01:29 AM
That is kinda sad but to each her own. My mom had drool worthy waist length hair that was an amazing shade of red and now its a dull brown and tightly curled into a peggy hill. Its good you made her happy but maybe she'll see the light one of these days.

I love that descriptor: a "Peggy Hill." OMG that says it all...

JamieLeigh
December 9th, 2009, 06:50 PM
The title of the thread scared me, when I saw who had started it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sorry your mom hated her lovely long and healthy hair. My mom is the same darn way and I just can't understand it. She had VERY long, thick, healthy-looking hair in her youth, and now she chooses to color it and heat it to death.

But I guess if we are so avid about doing what WE want to our hair, they're allowed to kill theirs if it's what THEY want. :p