PDA

View Full Version : Curry Leaves?

Catladyintown
December 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hello I bought some fresh curry leaves at my local store. My question is can you use the curry leaves if they have some brown spots on them or they are curled up? In less then two day they get brown spots and curl up. When I buy them fresh they have some brown spots all ready sometimes, this is the fresh I can get. I want to use them in the coconut oil recipe. So how long is too long to use the curry leaves? Thanks
Here is the link for the curry recipe I will be using.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=215296

Catladyintown
December 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Bumping anyone know about herbs and curry?

Diamondbell
December 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hello I bought some fresh curry leaves at my local store. My question is can you use the curry leaves if they have some brown spots on them or they are curled up? In less then two day they get brown spots and curl up. When I buy them fresh they have some brown spots all ready sometimes, this is the fresh I can get. I want to use them in the coconut oil recipe. So how long is too long to use the curry leaves? Thanks
Here is the link for the curry recipe I will be using.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=215296

If they have brown spots, that is no problem. But please use it up as soon as you can as this particular leaf (curry leaf) gets brown spots, curls up and then gets spoilt fast!!! I didn't get what you said finally about "how long is too long" for using the curry leaves. You can heat the oil, put in the curry leaves, and when it fully browns, remove oil from heat, and the oil is ready for use. You can use it as long as you like. :)

Catladyintown
December 8th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks Diamondbell I was also thinking of putting Fenugreek seeds into the coconut oil when I boil them. Any ideas would be helpful.

Diamondbell
December 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks Diamondbell I was also thinking of putting Fenugreek seeds into the coconut oil when I boil them. Any ideas would be helpful.

Sure - you can use fenugreek seeds too while boiling the coconut oil. It is good!
Check
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=258088#post258088
for more recipes under Fenugreek and Coconut! You can use hibiscus flowers or even cumin seeds while boiling coconut oil! :)

Tressie
December 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi! I couldn't get the link to show. Would it be too detailed a post to show the recipe? Are you going for color with the curry leaves, or just conditioning? Is it possible to use something instead of the fresh leaves? I don't have access to an Indian store anywhere around my area!

Catladyintown
December 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thank you so much Diamondbell.:-)

Diamondbell
December 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Hi! I couldn't get the link to show. Would it be too detailed a post to show the recipe? Are you going for color with the curry leaves, or just conditioning? Is it possible to use something instead of the fresh leaves? I don't have access to an Indian store anywhere around my area!

You could try different things: cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dried amla pieces, and many other herbs of your choice, while boiling the coconut oil. Some even add whole black pepper! :) (Haven't tried it though)...

As for recipes, there are several similar ones in the "Herbs and Their Uses" thread. Shall try to get more for you later after 15th December!

Catladyintown
December 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks again Diamondbell.:cheese::cheese:

Tressie
December 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks so much Diamondbell! I appreicate the information and I'll check out that thread! (o: