PDA

View Full Version : Hair coloring

lynlora
December 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I am using John Frieda Brilliant Brunette because it seems to give my hair a richer more even color and has covered up some gray areas. However, it is more expensive than the Garnier Triple Nutrition I was using. My question : would it be cheaper and easier to color my hair and go back to the Garnier ? Never colored my hair. How long does it last and is it easy to do at home ?

Just wanted to add : any other good S&C that add color to hair ?

Clarisse
December 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Chemical dyes are very damaging for the hair. I would look into some henna, indigo and/or katam instead :)

lapushka
December 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM
If you're doing great with the John Frieda, then stay with it. Why change things around? I wouldn't start experimenting with things like this, esp. if you're trying to grow out your hair.

If you insist on coloring to remove the gray, please know that henna is permanent and indigo most certainly is (bleach that and you'll go green). To achieve brown with henna, you'll need to mix henna & indigo, so read up on this extensively before even attempting going this route. Also, if you ever want to move towards a chemical color afterwards, this might also turn your hair green if your henna wasn't metal salt free.

I'd try a semi permanent color that still covers the gray (they exist) and if you're tired of it, then it'll wash out after a certain time.

So... It depends on what you understand by "not damaging" to hair. I think henna/indigo can be far more dangerous if not used properly, and if you tire of it, think of the effects when you try and remove it. Or think of the possible effects when ever using chemical dye over it.

lucys
December 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
If you're doing great with the John Frieda, then stay with it. Why change things around? I wouldn't start experimenting with things like this, esp. if you're trying to grow out your hair.

This is a good philosophy, I think.

It depends on what you understand by "not damaging" to hair. I think henna/indigo can be far more dangerous if not used properly, and if you tire of it, think of the effects when you try and remove it. Or think of the possible effects when ever using chemical dye over it.

This is what stops me from full-on Henna-ing. I know I'd get tired of it and want to get rid of it. My compromise is that I will do a gloss from time to time. But my hair has some red in already and is quite dark. Not sure I would even gloss if my hair was lighter. Mainly because I am chicken. :-)

shalindra
December 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I like to use the Fanciful line of hair color. I put it on after I shower and its good till I wash it agin. The rinse has conditioners to it so its like useing leave in conditioner/