PDA

View Full Version : Question on clarifying......

marikamt
December 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
How often should I clarify if I am no-cone, 'poo bar and condish, cone-free leave in/ coc oil and Shea butter? I only use hairspray/ styling product on a rare occasion (date night w/ DH, etc). I henna about every 2 mos. and have been clarifying once a month... too much?

I have a pretty normal scalp and hair, no issues...........

detritus
December 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Sounds like it may be too much. I have a similar routine and clarify every few months. I don't "schedule" it though, I just clarify whenever I notice my hair is starting to feel funky and extra conditioner and oils aren't helping. I think it's better to wait until you notice build-up so you don't overdo it.

celelu
December 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I can't really help you, since I don't clarify yet, because I'm so puzzled with that. What do longhairs use to clarify? I looked at my store and didn't find anything that looked like that. Help?

2TortyCats
December 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
If you don't use cones at all, clarifying really isn't that necessary at all, and is probably more harshness than you need. The only benefit it might have for the cone-less is if you have hard water. But even in that case, a vinegary water rinse after you wash will do just fine.

I do use cones, so I do clarify once every 2 months or so, and to do this I just use any shampoo that calls itself "clarifying". I hear neutrogena makes one, but I haven't tried it. I've been using avalon.

Arctic
December 8th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Cones aren't the only things that cause build-up, so a conefree routine doesn't guarantee a buildup-free hair.

You should clarify "as needed" and not based on a schedule, learn to read what your hair needs. Builduppy hair has some usual charesteristics which you can learn to recognize.

Anje
December 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I can't really help you, since I don't clarify yet, because I'm so puzzled with that. What do longhairs use to clarify? I looked at my store and didn't find anything that looked like that. Help?
Normal SLS shampoo is sufficiently clarifying for many of us. Some people like to add baking soda, while others hate the effect that gives. Maybe shampoo twice, make sure the ends are well-sudsed since they generally are the place where build-up is most noticed, and your hair is clarified. If you shampoo normally and don't apply a lot of coney products, it's possible you would never need to clarify your hair.

As a general rule, clarifying is something to do when you suddenly get tangly, unmanageable hair. I wouldn't recommend doign it on a schedule, since it's highly individual for the hair and the product selection.

zule
December 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I use the Neutrogena product every once in a while, not on schedule. I was using it every week, just because I thought you were supposed to, but it was way too often. I can go two or three months without using it.

It's a good product and smells good to me. But I get that flyaway thing after using it.

2peasinapod
December 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I use an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse. I am cone free, but I live in an area with hard water. I don't schedule my clarifying; I just go by how my hair feels.

florenonite
December 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I use an ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinse. I am cone free, but I live in an area with hard water. I don't schedule my clarifying; I just go by how my hair feels.

Does that work for proper clarifying? I was under the impression that ACV doesn't clarify, though it helps restore pH.

To the OP: Just do it when your hair needs it. If you're getting crunchy ends, hair that gets greasy quickly, or tangles, then you might need to clarify. Otherwise, don't bother. I don't do it on a schedule, just when necessary.

2peasinapod
December 8th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Does that work for proper clarifying? I was under the impression that ACV doesn't clarify, though it helps restore pH.

To the OP: Just do it when your hair needs it. If you're getting crunchy ends, hair that gets greasy quickly, or tangles, then you might need to clarify. Otherwise, don't bother. I don't do it on a schedule, just when necessary.

It does for me. I've used it when I used cones and still use it now that I don't. I've tried other "proper" clarifying methods (baking soda, clarifying shampoo, etc), and I've always got the same or better results with ACV, but I guess everyone's hair is different.

danacc
December 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
An ACV rinse generally will not remove build-up that was on the hair before washing. It will prevent mineral build-up from the hard water used during the washing, though. If you have hard water, it can delay the need to clarify by not allowing as much build-up in the first place.

Anje
December 8th, 2009, 01:07 PM
ACV, or any acidic rinse, isn't really considered "clarifying" because it won't get rid of buildup from cones and the like. It does do a decent job at clearing out mineral buildup and soap scum, which is why it's great when using shampoo bars. (It's also useful at getting rid of soap scum in the shower!)

Then again, not everyone uses a product set that requires clarifying, as I said before. If ACV removes all the types of buildup you get, great!

celelu
December 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Ok thanks, now I understand! So that's what I do when I decide to wash all of my lenght with my usual SLS (but gentle) 'poo! Nice. And it's also why it seems that all my tangling issues are gone after I ACV. Ha. Got it.
One last question: how do you know your water is hard or soft?