PDA

View Full Version : Family supporting hair growth :)

Pburgh56
December 7th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I am a guy and have been growing my hair for almost a year now and my family has never been really supportive of it :( However the other day an event happend that made me soo happy. I came downstairs in the morning and my hair is now finally starting to graze my shoulders. I was standing at the kitchen counter and my mom out of nowhere said your hair looks beautiful today. This really made my day and my mom actually asked if she could style it for me. So I sat down and let her brush my hair out and together her and my sister braided my hair into small braids. I have to say it was an amazing feeling for my mom to tell me she actually was liking my long hair and thought it looked nice. She said she couldnt wait until it got even longer to braid it more :) Has anyone experienced their family changing their opinion on long hair like this?

maxzeen
December 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
That must have been a good feeling :eek: I'm glad some of your family is starting to support your journey to long hair. My mom, on the other hand will tell me how horrible it looks. I can't blame her because I have a horrible haircut right now. It sort of looks like a mullet :rolleyes: I'm sure once I start getting it all to one length she will be more accepting of my hair.
Hopefully for you more of your family members will be more supportive of your hair :D

embee
December 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Wow, aren't you the lucky one! :) It's always helpful to have family support.

Speaking as a parent, it's not always easy to give, though. I spend a lot of time and effort keeping my mouth shut and butting out of things that really are not my business. It can be hard.

I'm trying to remember "If you can't say something nice, then say nothing" but it's an unnatural thing for me! ;)

ETA: My DS had a mohawk for quite a while, grew it for a play he was in and then kept it... sometimes colored it pink or turquoise. It was a hoot, but we're pretty conservative and I had to really zip my lip - after all, it's only *hair* and can be cut/washed/grown.... so it's not permanent. Gah. Motherhood. ;)

hmmm
December 7th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm so glad for you! I remember when you first came on here and you were worried about that, you must be so happy.
My mom had classic length hair when she was my age, so she isn't unsupportive of my wanting to grow it out. But she doesn't style it for me :( That's okay though, I don't mind :p

ETA: LOL @ embee's post... I had this crazy idea to put bleached highlights in my hair once and my mom hated it! She kept telling me it would damage my hair and not look good at all, but I didn't listen (and it did). I wanted to perm it more than once, but she told me I could only do it after I was 18 - and after I turned 18 I didn't want to anymore. Such a bummer! :D

lillylonghair
December 7th, 2009, 08:31 AM
That is so nice your mom is being supportive! I am sure it must be harder as a male to get that.

My brother has always told me her prefers my hair short and kinda punky (my usual look) but when he saw how long it has gotten he told me how nice it looked. My mom and husband also love my hair now.

JamieLeigh
December 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm glad your mom is coming around! It can be hard to change one's opinion, especially the older generations who had it so ingrained into them that guys with long hair were tacky and shiftless. ("The sign says long haired freaky people need not apply...") My hope is that eventually your parents will see that you're taking good care of your hair, and it will look nice. And that it will not affect your level of professionalism in the workplace. :) Good luck! Glad to hear things are changing for the better, I hope it stays positive.

Rentlle
December 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM
ooh, waw! that's so great!!
I can understand that she was a bit anxious in the first place, but I understand it even more that everyone can change his/her opinion when they see how beautiful it is :)
And if it suits you well, why shouldn't she be supportive?
it's great though:)

my mum isn't supportive at all, she thinks I let my hair grow for attention or too proove I can do it.. hihi. I don't mind, frankly: I have some friends who are realy supportive and I like it myself too :)

But People who are supportive, it's just such a great feelin ei? :)

jel
December 7th, 2009, 09:23 AM
It's great that your family are now supporting your growth!

When I first mentioned to my family members that I would be growing my hair to waist or longer, most were fascinated and encouraging. My older sister, though, who's had chin length hair for decades, was not convinced. She kept slightly mocking me about hair growth for probably 6 months or more. I always just smiled and responded in an enthusiastic way, and after a while she completely changed her tune. She is now very appreciative of my hair and almost proud of it!

Pburgh56
December 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Awww thank you everybody. It really means alot that my family is starting to come around. Everyone once and a while my parents, especially my dad, will tell me it looks unprofessional and things like that but for the most part they are coming around to the long look. Really long hair is soo beautiful it is a shame more people cannot accept it :( Everyone on here has my support :)

Kalyca
December 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
hey, that's awesome! it's a great feeling when a loved one is supportive about decisions that matter to you. it's cool that you're growing it out, hope you're having fun with it =)

Vijikanth
December 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Eventhough my mom doesnt support my long hair, she doesnt mind it as well. But my aunt always asks me to let her brush it out into a single or double ponytails. I wish I could allow her. But at times feel she wants to make fun of me. But whatso ever be the reason, this time when I see her, am going to let her do what ever she wants.

little_acorn
December 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Thats great news re the support :D

InTheCity
December 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Sounds great for you!
I'm still waiting on support from my mom (I've been out of the house for 7 years already but we're really good friends and she has no idea how bad her "you need a haircut" comments bum me out.)

starlights
December 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thats really nice your mums being good to you... i remember when i first told my gran i wanted to grow my hair she went out and brought me the most expensive oil to start massaging it on, it was sooo sweet!

smilinjenn71
December 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
:heartbeatYAY!!! I'm so happy for you!

I tend to not really care what people think about the length of my hair or how I style it. What *does* make a difference is how *I* feel about how it looks. However, I know this moment made you feel sooooo much better about growing, so that is awesome!

jojo
December 7th, 2009, 08:26 PM
aww thats so sweet and its nice when your family supports you.

kmangus
December 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I am lucky because my family loves long hair! When i cut it off originally and dyed it my mother was so displeased.....i was too! :) I am glad you are experiencing acceptance!