PDA

View Full Version : How to wear long hair while job hunting and doing interviews

Pear Martini
December 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I recently quit my job and am back on the hunt for a new one.

Before LHC, I would flat iron my hair and do a half updo while job hunting. I dont own a flat iron any more and my hair is usually in its natural form which is "wild waves".

My hair is APL, and the only updo I know are

a.Messy bun
b. low pony
c.high pony

I am wondering if I should just blowdry my hair straight and wear it down.

It seems like wavy hair isn't seen as professional enough for job hunting. People may just think it is messy.

My question is what do you do to your hair when you nee to look professional enough for job hunting?

How do you make wavy hair look professional?

andrea1982
December 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think there may be a societal bias against wavy/curly hair.. I personally think it's beautiful! You could use products to enhance your waves (such as gel) to make them look defined, or you could try a Gibson Tuck or a french twist.

In the end, probably the best thing is to do whatever will make you feel most at ease and comfortable while you're job hunting, so that you're not nervous and let your true self shine through.

noelgirl
December 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I usually do either a low pony or a low, neat bun. High ponytails are a bit casual - I love them, but it can be a bit too "cheerleader" for a job interview. For me, the main objective is to keep it neat and out of my face. If you have wispies, try a bit of AVG to keep them down. Good luck!

meowmeow
December 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I would just wear it in a bun. That's what I usually do. I think the most important thing is to keep up out of your face.

rogue_psyche
December 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I think french twists are very sleek and a graceful while still being professional. Here's one of the better tutorials on youtube for the APL method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72UfMC4dMw0&feature=related You can secure them with a flexi-8, a ficarre, a stick, or even a few small claw clips.

Tangerine
December 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
In the end, probably the best thing is to do whatever will make you feel most at ease and comfortable while you're job hunting, so that you're not nervous and let your true self shine through.

These are wise words.

I also think that as LHCers we focus a lot more on hair than other people might do. As long as you look clean, coordinated and neatly put together, and are at ease (as much as that is possible in a job interview!), they will probably not even notice much what you have done with your hair. Same goes for outfit and accessories, I would say.

Most of all though: good luck with your job hunt! I hope you find something you will be happy with.

:blossom:

julliams
December 7th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I hear you. I am a flute teacher and every so often have to conduct performances. I feel my wavy hair is too "messy" looking and I always feel the need to put it up. I find the twist good. I twist my hair as if I'm putting it in a bun, then I wind it around the bottom, then change direction and clip it like a "tails up". I find it looks very neat for more formal occasions - interviews incuded.

Katze
December 7th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I think french twists are very sleek and a graceful while still being professional. Here's one of the better tutorials on youtube for the APL method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72UfMC4dMw0&feature=related You can secure them with a flexi-8, a ficarre, a stick, or even a few small claw clips.

French twists worked really well for me at your length, and my hair is SUPER messy. :) One thing that really has helped me if I want my hair to look tidy(-ier) is to plan for the updo day to be a 'dirty' day. Then I can use a bit of hair gel or mousse to smooth the updo tidy, as well as misting. I usually mix gel with a bit of leave-in.

I do think there is a prejudice against wavy hair in its natural state, but many of us also have to learn (as I have) just how much extra moisture vs. washing our hair needs. Not always easy!

Cat Lady
December 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I really think a sock bun is neat, elegant and professional looking. There's also something about a sock bun which stops it from being too serious looking.

florenonite
December 7th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I'd just do a neat bun. French twists are good, too, but I could never get the hang of them myself.

Melisande
December 7th, 2009, 05:07 AM
A Gibson tuck held with scroos is very elegant, too. A pinned up French braid as well. Go for an understated look.

BeatlesFanGirl
December 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM
I wear it down when I go to an interview. That's how I'd wear it in an office anyway.

Angela_Rose
December 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
The last time I went interviewing, I did a half-up with the up part braided.

Pierre
December 7th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I've been at my current job long enough that my boss saw my first henna, which was before I started growing, so I don't know by experience what I'd do. That said, I think I'd do this:
*Shower-comb the night before to remove any loose hairs which would look fuzzy.
*Wear a single bun (a cinnabun, I think) secured with the plain Flexi. I usually wear two buns, or two bunlets with tassels dangling, but that's an unusual style.
*If I had the time, Dutch braid both sides and join them in the single bun. That'll secure the short hairs which I usually contain in the tiny Flexis.
*Not henna my nails within ten days before the interview. It takes about that long for the red to wear off the skin. I henna nails and hair at the same time.

embee
December 7th, 2009, 07:41 AM
You want to look sensible, not flirty. Flirty is a big pain in the office environment. Most HR people know this.

If you hair looks like you'll be messing with it all the time that will be poor. You need to focus on work, not hair. So it needs to be out of the way, tucked up, in a low pony or bun. Sorta prim, I'd think.

Once you get a job you'll see how others are, how the work environment is, how formal or casual, etc. and can adjust as you see fit, but for the start you need to look all business.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your job hunt. We live in interesting times.

Teakafrog
December 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM
At that length, the French twist was my HG for professional hairstyle. Or you could just do a French braid, or a bun.

Periwinkle
December 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I hear you. I am a flute teacher and every so often have to conduct performances. I feel my wavy hair is too "messy" looking and I always feel the need to put it up. I find the twist good. I twist my hair as if I'm putting it in a bun, then I wind it around the bottom, then change direction and clip it like a "tails up". I find it looks very neat for more formal occasions - interviews incuded.

This sounds really interesting but I can't quite work it out. Could you clarify?

JamieLeigh
December 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I agree with others who have said that a low bun or Gibson tuck would be excellent. And I also agree that nowhere else in the world but here on LHC are people so concerned over what other people's and their own hair looks like. Lol. :p Just be yourself and do what would make you most comfortable. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with, or you'll be messing with your hair the entire time you're sitting there - whether consciously or unconsciously.

Anje
December 7th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Definitely try learning french twists. They get trickier as your hair gets longer, and you can do them even at shoulder length. Learn now, while you can!

For job interviews specifically, french twists are good if you can do them reliably, and I'd think a ponytail is appropriate and shows off wavy hair in a nice way.

Another thing that might be worth working on is a small, neat, slick bun. Putting something in your hair might help the process.

Pear Martini
December 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I will have to look up how to do a french twist. Sounds interesting. Julliams technique sounds good too, that will take me a while to learn tho :D

Lisa Tregner
December 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
neat bun - if looking for a professional office job

i would even wear it down if looking for a job which requires contact with the public , like retail or receptionist.

vamq
December 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
When I was searching for a job, I always had it in a ponytail, or a braid
(I didn't know anything else...)
But I think it really works when your hair is out of your face.
You could also try to make a bun more beautiful, by adding one simple flower.

The most important thing is feeling comfortable, I think. Feeling uncomfortable really shows.

katha
December 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I french braided. Worked for me, got a job. :D

aaperez
December 7th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I vote bun and try keeping it as neat as possible ^_^

SimplyViki
December 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
My roommate's hair is wavy/wurly and she looks quite professional even with it down, in my opinion. Her hair is just below BSL. She uses mousse and stuff, though, and she also doesn't think it looks professional wavy, so she gets it professionally blown straight to interviews. I know, big help I am, aren't I?

I think it would fly alright in Miami to wear it wavy. It's such a diverse place, I've seen all types of hairstyles around, on all types of people. Half-updo or maybe a ponytail with a nice accessory would probably do very well. Just apply some sort of frizz-reducer on it, whatever works for you. Humidity, and all that.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I recently quit my job and am back on the hunt for a new one.

Before LHC, I would flat iron my hair and do a half updo while job hunting. I dont own a flat iron any more and my hair is usually in its natural form which is "wild waves".

My hair is APL, and the only updo I know are

a.Messy bun
b. low pony
c.high pony

I am wondering if I should just blowdry my hair straight and wear it down.

It seems like wavy hair isn't seen as professional enough for job hunting. People may just think it is messy.

My question is what do you do to your hair when you nee to look professional enough for job hunting?

How do you make wavy hair look professional?

Could you slick it back into a low bun with a little shea butter or those Latino styling cremes like Sedal to control the waves?

gnegirl
December 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I would do a sock bun or gibson tuck, w/o flashy hair toys.