PDA

View Full Version : Babying from the start

Shicurls
December 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure if there is a thread already started on this subject, but I am hoping that people of all lengths will chime in!:)

I'm a super-shortie growing out a pixie cut. I have looked all around this site for babying techniques and have found (used) almost all of them. My question is, how do I "baby" my super short hairs from the start? I am definitely doing the oiling and conditioning and all the great stuff in between.

But, I essentially want to trim as little as possible ( I think we all do!) and I want to give my length the best advantage possible. Do bobby pins damage hair? Does anyone have tips on how to keep my hair in top shape until I am able to fully put it up? Are there any others out there who found some technique that really changed how they dealt with their super short hair? I know that patience is involved, but is there some "magic trick" I can do to really help the process along?:p

Any advice is welcome!

SimplyViki
December 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
If you haven't already, Igor has a great article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58) on growing out from very short hair that you could check out.

Sounds to me like you're doing just fine. The main thing is that you are aware of how things affect your hair - For example, if you notice that bobby pins are catching, pulling, or scraping at your hair, then they probably are damage potential. If not, they're probably OK.

I am impressed that you are oiling at that length - I think for me, it would be too close to my scalp to oil hair that length. Right now, I apply oil from about the level of my ears down. Any higher than that, and it looks like I've got greasy roots and I haven't washed.

Your ends are fresh and new right now, and high up out of the way of most potential mechanical damage. I'd say you're doing great!

Tinose
December 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on how to take care of your hair already. I'd say pay attention to what seems to be working and what doesn't, but generally just keep doing wht you're doing. Honestly, though, at your length, I'd give priority to getting past the awkward stages over babying it. Pay attention to what causes damage, sure, but it's more important getting it down past your shoulders so you can pull it up than it is to keep it completely protected from damage at that point. If you hit a stall point where you hate your hair and want to chop it all off, you shouldn't feel guilty about using blowdryers or bobby pins or whatever to get past it.

That said, bobby pins tend to get mixed reviews. The key seems to be holding them open the entire time you're putting them in/taking them out, and I don't know about anyone else, but I find that really difficult for some reason. Probably the safest hair thing you can do to keep it out of your way at your length is lots of scarves.

Shicurls
December 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and ideas! I can't believe I missed Igor's article!!! Arrrrgggghhhh! It is very helpful.... Thanks guys

Juneii
December 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM
because it is short it isn't old enough to get damaged very easily - regardless don't start bleaching it and teasing it to make it look better. healthy ends means healthy looking hair.
Good luck!

Teacherbear
December 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
You might want to take a look at this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) too. I titled it Keeping Split Ends at Bay, but it also talks about how to handle hair so you don't develop split ends.

I don't oil or do deep treatments on my hair, so I don't have any advice about that. I suggest you start one new treatment, and don't change other things. See how it goes. Does your hair like it? If so, keep with it. If not, add or make another change. Too many changes at once only confuse you as to what works and what doesn't.

Shicurls
December 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thank you Teacherbear, I did read that article! I will try to incorporate those ideas on these short strands! I look forward to longer hair so I can really pamper my locks!

Paliele
December 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said. Also, have you considered a satin or silk pillowcase or sleepbonnet? It probably doesn't matter at your length, but every little bit helps.