PDA

View Full Version : Wash out hair color that didn't wash out!

Latin Tea
December 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
(I also posted this on Salt & Pepper so it may be a duplicate for you)

I've talked about this before, but now I have a silly question....maybe. So, I did that Natural Instincts' dye thing back in July ONLY because I thought it would wash out. Anyway, I understand now that there was peroxide in that bottle and it had to take my natural color away in order to place the new color in. This color has been fading over the past couple of months, but is still there to some degree.

Here's my question. What color will my hair be when it totally fades away?? I was originally brown with lots of gray. Will the gray come back? Will I be blondish there? Ugh, why did I ever do that? :(

Shermie Girl
December 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
When (if!) the toner all washes away, your base tone where you used the dye will be whatever the peroxide lifted your natural colour to.

If you natural colour is brown, the peroxide probably lifted your natural base tone a couple of shades or so. And, in the process may have pulled out gold and or orange/red tones, too.

Latin Tea
December 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Sounds scary! My base tone is dark brown with reddish undertones along with the gray. Are you saying that IF this ever fades, it will be a few shades lighter than my dark brown. Would the gray still be there since that didn't have color to begin with?

klcqtee
December 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Ah, I did this back in middle school. Dyed my mousy brown hair black with the SAME STUFF! My hair was dark for until I eventually grew it out and cut it off. My hair was mostly dark brown where they dye was, but some parts had taken on a blue/purple look, and some parts were also maroon. It was odd, and not very nice looking. The good news is, it did not damage my hair nearly as much as regular full strength chemical dyes.

Now, you made your hair lighter (where as I went darker), so you'll probably have a little bit different experience. Unfortunately you can expect your natural hair colour (that was dyed over) to be 3 shades lighter than natural, if it all washes out.

I called the company and explained to them my problem (it had been 4 months since dying it, and still black) and I was told that "these things sometimes happen", and I have to accept my hair will remain dark. Ugh.

HTH!

Latin Tea
December 7th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks, yes, I too called the company and got the same response. It won't come out if it hasn't already. They should be more upfront on their boxes and I might call again and complain. The funny thing is they will probably send me a coupon to try another color FREE!

As for my natural color, I'm thinking since it was pretty gray there (maybe 40% gray), then hopefully that will come back the same. The rest is lighter than my other brown and the red shades are about nil. And since it's just the top layer, I can work with blending in some of my other hair by changing my part a bit. I just don't want a big blob of gray crawling down from the top of my head. :(

Here's a photo...you can kinda see the lighter brown on the left with the gray on top. http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz3/LatinTea/Hair11-30-09.jpg