PDA

View Full Version : Update With Pictures =) Also, In Need of V-Cut Pictures and New Style Pictures!

Aerith
December 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hey everybody! :)

As promised, I'm going to show you my progress after a couple of weeks of babying my hair, cutting down on washing (a lot), and after a few S&D's. My hair is very brittle and dry, and ridden with split ends. My previous thread on it can be found here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37115). <-

Below are pictures I took a few minutes ago. Sorry about two of them being noticeably crooked. My tripod wasn't straight and I didn't notice until after I took them and uploaded to my computer! =P

Full Length:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/Melichan923/My%20Hair/PC060167.png
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/Melichan923/My%20Hair/PC060169.png

Upper Half:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/Melichan923/My%20Hair/PC060166.png

I noticed after taking these pictures that my hemline seems to be very straight and pretty thick but there is a lot of breakage and splits especially on the canopy (top layer). So, I think it's more damaged than it looks. Some days my hair feels very dry, like straw despite trying out some EVOO.

In the third picture you can see that it starts looking slightly brittle after the pink stripe on my arm, so I think that is my final decision on the length I will cut it to (or maybe a bit longer)! =) I am sad that that much will be going but I really think I should be happy with my hair. I don't want to have to hide it because it's damaged.

I am still considering a V-cut but I cannot find any good examples of what I want. If anybody has any of their own pictures or know where I can find some online, please share! You can PM them to me if you'd like instead of posting in the thread if they are your own. Also, feel free to show me pics of hair that aren't cut in a V, anything that might look nice cut into my hair (that's a scary way to put it, huh?) I need some pictures to show my hairdresser exactly what I want. I need something that works with my hair-type (it's thick) so I'm open to any other suggestions you may have! Layers may look nice too though I've never had them. The hair closest to my face is the most damaged because I used to heart style it a lot to frame my face, so I'd like the front to be the shortest part.

I'm pretty excited about and looking forward to getting something new and my hair being healthy and shiny again (and actually being able to wear it down!). I'm hoping I get a lot of nice pictures and suggestions from you all (I'm sure I will because you are the experts, hehe!).

Thanks for reading!

Bene
December 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Oooooooh. Pretty! :crush:

Vrushali
December 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
:thud: and some more :thud:

Aerith
December 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Oooooooh. Pretty! :crush:

:thud: and some more :thud:

Aww, thanks a lot! :)

little_acorn
December 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yor hair is lovely in those photos - it doesn't look damaged, but if it feels it you cut add some shaping around the face - that would remove the worst of the damage from your description.

Aerith
December 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yor hair is lovely in those photos - it doesn't look damaged, but if it feels it you cut add some shaping around the face - that would remove the worst of the damage from your description.

Thank you, little_acorn! To be honest, my hair looks a little better in the photos than it does in real life. I don't really have a great camera and the flash probably makes it looks shinier than it is. At the very least I'm chopping the hair around my face. :)

Aww, everyone's nice comments so far are making me re-consider cutting it again! Lol! I'm so back and forth about this. It will grow back regardless though and I'm not going to shoulder length like I originally planned a couple of weeks ago. At least not this year! :D

Longlocks3
December 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thank you, little_acorn! To be honest, my hair looks a little better in the photos than it does in real life. I don't really have a great camera and the flash probably makes it looks shinier than it is. At the very least I'm chopping the hair around my face. :)

Aww, everyone's nice comments so far are making me re-consider cutting it again! Lol! I'm so back and forth about this. It will grow back regardless though and I'm not going to shoulder length like I originally planned a couple of weeks ago. At least not this year! :D

I wish my ends were as nice, thick, and blunt as yours! IF you cut(which I hope you don't, but hey it's your hair) send them my way please.

Firefly
December 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Your hair looks awesome-- congrats!

pinchbeck
December 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I love long hair that is thick from root to tip! You have achieved beautiful and healthy length. Look at your ends! Wow...

Oh, I should add that if you cut your hemline to look like a 'V', won't you feel bald? I mean you'll loose a lot of hair. Think about it really hard before you re-shape or re-create your hemline.

JamieLeigh
December 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Your hair looks very nice and thick in the photos...I'd give a lot for my ends to be this thick again....but this isn't about me. :p lol

I do remember your previous thread on this, and I think you said you still had maybe 6-12" worth of possibly damaged hair at the ends. If this is the case, then either cutting a lot now, or cutting a little at a time over a long period are the only ways I can think of to get rid of damage. Sure, SMTs are great, but they only make damage easier to live with while you're growing and trimming. :(

I'm sorry I'm not much for advice, but I wish you luck in what you decide.

Aerith
December 7th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Pinchbeck, that was my original plan: to get rid of the damaged parts while still being able to keep my overall length. I've always had hair that met at one single length all my life and that was another reason I was considering the change.

I'm seriously reconsidering all this again, lol. :p

Darscilla
December 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM
:waving: Your locks are looking good, girl!

I thought this might be some help to you, as we are hair twins! :cheese: I very recently went from a blunt hemline like this:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0038.jpg

To a v-shape like this:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0044.jpg

I cut it myself using Feye's self-trim method : http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/2006/02/12/

I only lost this much hair in the cut:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/Darscilla/DSCI0040.jpg

I'm absolutely delighted with my new hemline, and the ends feel wonderfully healthy and less tangly. I had a little wobble when I discovered that having hair of different lengths meant I had a ton of sticky-out pieces when I bunned my hair, but the wonderful folks here suggested some alternative updos, and it's no longer a problem. Just something to be aware of before you decide.

I'd say go for it! If you really hate it, you can always just snip off the v and go back to blunt, though that of course would mean losing a bit more length. Good luck!

ericthegreat
December 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Aerith, I really think that we are our own worst critics. From your photos, the condition of your hair really doesn't look to be a badly damaged as you wholeheartedly believe it is.

However, its clear that whatever amount of damage that you see or feel in your hair is too much for you to personally tolerate. So, I would actually go against the normal LHC advice of babying your hair since you have tried that and you feel that it isn't working for you. Instead, I would personally advise to you to cut off the last 4 to 5 inches that are completely unsalvageable. That will be your new length. Then, have your hairstylist cut long layers into the back and into the top sections of your canopy. Tell your hairstylist that you are trying to get rid of the broken ends that are within your canopy but that you also are trying to keep as much of your length as possible.

The new haircut I envision for you is actually a U-shaped haircut, not a V-shaped one. A U-shape actually looks fuller and thicker than a V-shape one. Get 4 to 5 inches of your ends taken off, its clear that for you at least they are more trouble that they are worth. Have your hairstylist cut the new length into a U-shape. Then, ask your hairstylist to cut long layers all around your head, that means lifting a section of your hair straight up in a 90 degree angle and cutting off all the damaged ends that you happen to see.

I hope this advice helps, as I've said before it would be a shame for you to cut off all your hair unnecessarily! I really think a U-shape with long layers cut all the way around your head is a more sensible option for you!

jivete
December 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Your hair looks thick and amazing. :thudpile:

But I agree with ericthegreat, a U shape hem with some layers would probably get rid of any damage and would look really nice.

Aerith
December 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Darscilla, Thanks a lot for those pics! The V shape looks lovely in your hair! That is exactly what I was looking for.

ericthegreat, that sounds like a fantastic idea! To get 5" off all around cut into a U shape, and then get long layers within will help take off a lot of the damage. The only problem is, I can't find any pictures of long layers that don't begin at short chin length and I don't want my shortest layer to be THAT short. =O I just feel like if I don't bring in a picture she won't understand and I'll get too much taken off. I've had people totally disregard what I've said before and with my hair I don't want to take chances, lol! I think I'd want my shortest layer to maybe be 4-5 inches from the longest to start, so it wouldn't be too drastic and I can still put it back without pieces falling out. Thank you for this idea! You've been so much help to me! I hope to find a picture so I can get this done.

And jivete, thanks for the nice compliment! I think I may have finally figured out what I'm going to do, lol. :)

DarkChocolate
December 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM
:thud:

Your hair is so beautiful:)

Have you tried coconut oil? I noticed that EVOO made my hair brittle but coconut oil makes it soft:)

spidermom
December 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Darscilla, Thanks a lot for those pics! The V shape looks lovely in your hair! That is exactly what I was looking for.

ericthegreat, that sounds like a fantastic idea! To get 5" off all around cut into a U shape, and then get long layers within will help take off a lot of the damage. The only problem is, I can't find any pictures of long layers that don't begin at short chin length and I don't want my shortest layer to be THAT short. =O I just feel like if I don't bring in a picture she won't understand and I'll get too much taken off. I've had people totally disregard what I've said before and with my hair I don't want to take chances, lol! I think I'd want my shortest layer to maybe be 4-5 inches from the longest to start, so it wouldn't be too drastic and I can still put it back without pieces falling out. Thank you for this idea! You've been so much help to me! I hope to find a picture so I can get this done.

And jivete, thanks for the nice compliment! I think I may have finally figured out what I'm going to do, lol. :)

You can cut in long layers yourself by making a snug ponytail centered on the very top of your head, then put a second hair-tie on the tail and slide it straight down toward the ends. You are completely in control as to how far down you slide that 2nd tie and make the cut. I used this method in October to get rid of 3 inches worth of very crispy ends that were mostly in the canopy, and it worked beautifully. I couldn't even tell I'd cut anything, to tell you the truth. It was so little hair that was so dried out and awful; I didn't miss it one bit. (PS - if you look closely, you will see that I have long subtle layers)

Aerith
December 8th, 2009, 01:12 PM
:thud:

Your hair is so beautiful:)

Have you tried coconut oil? I noticed that EVOO made my hair brittle but coconut oil makes it soft:)

Thanks DarkChocolate! :) I have never tried coconut oil, only EVOO so far. I think I'll try the coconut oil.

You can cut in long layers yourself by making a snug ponytail centered on the very top of your head, then put a second hair-tie on the tail and slide it straight down toward the ends. You are completely in control as to how far down you slide that 2nd tie and make the cut. I used this method in October to get rid of 3 inches worth of very crispy ends that were mostly in the canopy, and it worked beautifully. I couldn't even tell I'd cut anything, to tell you the truth. It was so little hair that was so dried out and awful; I didn't miss it one bit. (PS - if you look closely, you will see that I have long subtle layers)

Thanks for the tip, spidermom! :) Is that a guide here? I panic when I think of me cutting my own hair but I suppose I could only do a very tiny bit to start (like an inch or two) and if it looks bad I'd be getting more cut off anyway, lol. :) I never noticed you had layers in your hair before, it really is very subtle! I love it.

SpinDance
December 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Great advice, so you've sure got lots of options, Aerith. Thanks, spidermom, for the layered self-cut directions. I may need to do this for some of my crispy ends, too.

Do try some other oils, Aerith. I've been trying various oils including coconut and shea butter, and blends like Beldaran's, all to good effect. It doesn't remove any existing damage, but sure improves the overall texture. I use a small amount (like 2 small or one large drop) applied wet after washing, and more for an overnight deep treatment the night before washing.

It will be a long time until I have hair that has only had LHC but the journey continues to be an adventure!

mimi1153
December 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I'm also a sufferer of "crispiness" on the canopy, especially the ends. I have tried several things, but the best thing I have found (without cutting :)) is Avelon Organics Lavender Shampoo - I was just using it because I was out of my other, but I can see a tremendous difference, so I'm going to wait it out a while and see. Try a few more things first before you do a drastic cut, your hair looks beautiful in the pic.

Also, thanks to Spider for the advice on the trim... I'm confused though - if I have a blunt cut, will this give me layers? :confused: I want to keep a soft U-shape but would like to get rid of about 1" of canopy crisp!!

juliaxena
December 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I see improvement. If I were you I wouldn't get t he V cut. I'd cut off 5 inches and S & D the rest regularly. Layers can be difficult, upper layer can get damaged much more easier, I tryed that before.

Sheltie_Momma
December 9th, 2009, 09:17 AM
We have similar hair types, mine is u-cut (AKA overgrown layers, shortest layer is below shoulder on the sides, there's a pic in my album.) I keep some slight layering (bottom 2 inches) precisely because the canopy gets crispy but I'm unwilling to lose the over all length. All that said, your hair looks off the hook lovely to me. I have been very pleased with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner, it has really drastically improved my ends, much better than coconut oil or SMT's for me personally. Best wishes to you, and keep us updated.