PDA

View Full Version : Hair color advice please (picture heavy)

MakeLoveNotWar
December 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Ok I am one of those people who gets bored with their hair very very easily. Because I am trying to grow it out, the only real way to change up my hair is coloring it. I've been taking really good care of my hair and I believe it can handle a dye job. My problem is I don't know what color to dye it! Here are some pictures and I was wondering what you think is the most flattering. Any suggestions or anything would be very much appreciated!

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy147/MakeLoveNotWar2117/Hair%20Adventures/

lapushka
December 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'd not dye it.

If it's short, then it's less of an issue to change your hair color frequently, but with long hair? A few times maybe, but then it'll start to tangle more and more and you'll notice it's not doing your hair much good. Stripping, coloring, stripping, coloring... your hair will suffer. Short hair when it's damaged by frequent coloring? Easy, you snip it off. Long hair... hmmm. You'll never grow it out that way.

If you always, year after year, use the same color and only touch up your roots, long hair still has a chance, but changing your color frequently through the entire color spectrum... I don't think so.

BTW, I think dark brown suits you well.

QueenMadge
December 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Dark brown or dark red if you are going to dye it.

spidermom
December 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It depends on your hair-length goal, which is not listed. If you want hair waist length or longer, the less you do to it, the better your hair will be, so stick with one color and do roots only, or don't dye it at all. You can use clip-in extensions and different styles to give yourself more variety.

If your goal length is shorter than waist length, then your hair can take more abuse because you'll be cutting the ends more frequently. In that case - go wild; have fun.

fawn
December 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I like the dark red you posted, have you ever been that color?

Leena7
December 6th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'm in the same boat and I am really trying to break the habit. I know that I am trying to get waist length hair, so I figure the less dye the better, still it is a hard habit to break. I have been blonde, redhead, brunette and various in between shades, so I have had a lot of dye experiences. I strongly suggest not going lighter because stripping out color to make hair lighter has been the most damaging thing I have done to my hair so far. Try some demi permanent colors if you want to experiment. That is what I am trying.

theboredelf
December 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I would do dark red. My hair is naturally an ugly, mousy dull medium brown, and I keep it dyed red. Red is also my favorite color. :)

If you are trying to grow out your hair, don't change your haircolor too drastically. Red can be dulled without TOO much damage, but black or light blonde are as good as permanent on brunettes.

manderly
December 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
The red is awesome on you, but it's time to be realistic. Not knowing your goals it's hard to say, but I can tell you that growing your hair long can be very boring if you don't utilize other things (like learning new hairstyles and hairtoys).

If you have goals of BSL or longer, your hair just will not tolerate constant changes in hair color. We have lots of chemical dyed heads here at LHC (myself included), but there is a difference between coloring and maintaining a color and stripping and redoing the whole color every few months, as I'm sure you know.

So you have to have a real good think about this. What do you want more? Long, healthy gorgeous hair, or the ability to change your color on a whim and "play" a little more. If the former, I'd suggest you find a color that works for you and work your hardest to break yourself of the flip-flopping color, if the latter, I'd keep your hair no longer than BSL and rock out with lots of fun colors :)

MakeLoveNotWar
December 6th, 2009, 02:09 PM
My goal right now is BSL and as of right now at least, I can't see growing it much longer than that. I really love that red, and because I get so pale in the winter, I feel like it would work better with my skin tone, and the darker colors would just make me look washed out or something.

lucys
December 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Just answering the colour question, I'd say the warm brown looks good on you. Much darker would wash you out a bit. But that red is amazing.

As to the length vs. fun with colour question, it occurs to me that going red would still leave the option of going brown later... Might make it easier to have two dye jobs without wrecking your length goals?

Isilme
December 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
the red looks good, but be aware that colouring is very damaging and it might not allow you to grow your hair very long. You could experiment with deposit only dyes (like special effects or manic panic) on your natural haircolour. The dyes aren't damaging as long as you don't pre bleach.

jojo
December 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I like your hair dark red, the blonde makes you look washed out but the dark red is perfect and theres always henna as a healthier option.

Peter
December 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I think you look best with dark brown hair. :)

smilinjenn71
December 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Based on your skin tone, I liked the chocolate brown with caramel highlights. That was very pretty on you!

Pear Martini
December 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I love the dark red color

MakeLoveNotWar
December 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice! I really appreciate all the help. Now I just need to make a decision :eyebrows:

klcqtee
December 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hm. I like the really dark brown (from December 08), or the red. Check out the herbal dye thread! I think you'd look nice with a hendigo. Then it'll keep you busy, and the dying (supposing you don't have any allergies) will help your hair, not hurt it.

MakeLoveNotWar
December 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Do you think that henna would be able to give my dark hair that really pretty red from my pictures? Cause that would be wonderful, but because my hair is a dark brown I'm not sure if it would give me that bright red.

redneckprincess
December 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I really like the red on you..suites you well but remember color is damaging and harmful in the long quest for long hair..I know how you feel about needing a change every once in a while..thats why i do some manic panic streaks every few months, but they wash out without leaving any damage to my hair

pepperminttea
December 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
If you're set on dying it, I'd go dark brown or red. Anything but the blonde, really.

bubbles_87
December 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
You look great with chocolate brown hair

Short2Long2009
December 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM
November 2009!

myrrhmaiden
December 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I'm going to play realist here. That first pic, of the deep red, is unusually pretty. The face has been airbrushed, and the colors have been enhanced. Trying to attempt that look is going to end in disappointment because it's not actually real. You could get a haircolor close to it, but you would have to lighten a few shades to get there, and lightening is not a long-hair's friend. Also, you have to think about texture. Your hair will lay differently. Repeated dying will mean damage, which will mean it wont look as perfect as that hair either. Basically, no matter what color you dye it, you still have your own hair on your head, complete with all the things that bother you about it. I don't mean to sound harsh. If I do, I'm sorry. I have been down this road a thousand times, at least. I've sabotaged my length goals out of boredom. If you HAVE to HAve to dye it. Use something non-damaging, or less damaging. Dark, warm browns, really suit you. Also, I think henna over your natural color would make a gorgeous mahogany. (May take a few treatments to get rich enough color) Maybe Indigo? Just don't do anything you'll regret. ;) I know it all too well.

TheCatSaidQuack
January 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
i too, really like the dark red.

spidermom
January 5th, 2010, 08:57 PM
November 2009 looks the best to me.

Vianka
January 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I think the November 2009 picture shows the most flattering color. Love that rich brown color.