PDA

View Full Version : I really dislike my hair right now.... :-(

Hannah83
December 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I just don't know what to do. I am 2C but it's just messy and dry and frizzy. I recently reached hip but I feel no joy since I cant wear it down. It just don't look good. It has always been dry and my curls don't hold well, but this is ridiculous. I know I probably need a trim because I have'nt had one since february. And I have layers so maybe that's the reason for the frizz.

I've been thinking about honey but I just don't know what to search for. Which honey to buy. And how to use it. :( When I started CO my hair felt so much better but it was shorter then and easier to care for. I have tried leave in, aloe gel, mousse, no protein, gel, oil, well, many things. I would like to have as little products as possible. I need some serious moisturizing!! :D

Thank you for reading, I would appreciate any advice on how to moisturize my frizz. :flower:

Tinose
December 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Have you tried SMTs? Those work wonders for my hair.

Plain honey works surprisingly well too though. I've literally used pure honey and honey mixed with water as a hair treatment before and it did help some, though not as much as the SMT. You can use any type of honey for hair treatments unless you're trying to lighten your hair. I just get the cheapest available, personally.

For me, if I want to get rid of all frizz, I pretty much have to use judicious amounts of aloe (if up) and oil (if down) though. So perhaps someone has had more success.

jivete
December 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
My hair gets really frizzy if I wash in hot water. I love Argan oil too, it makes my hair smoother and sleeker and isn't heavy at all, so it's pretty user friendly for fine hair.

getoffmyskittle
December 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
To some extent wavy hair will always be a bit frizzy unless you coat it in product. It's just because the ends twist and turn out on each individual strand. I have perpetual frizz, even though my hair is pretty healthy... though it's not nearly as bad as it was before I learned to take care of my hair. For me, coconut and jojoba oil work well to tame it and keep my hair supple. I like to do heavy coconut oilings before I wash, and light oilings with jojoba in between washes. Fox's shea butter conditioning cream is good for wintertime moisture when you need more than just an oil, you can find that on the recipe board.

ETA: I also wrote an article (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1538931) on the old site kinda about how to get healthy hair, that might help you as well! (Gee, it's been what, two years and I still haven't re-uploaded it to the new site. :uhh: Maybe I should get on that.)

spidermom
December 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I get phenomenal response when my stylist does a Joico K-Pak deep treatment on my hair. You can also buy it from a salon. I've also found a way to keep moisture in my hair that works very well - work about 1 teaspoon of my regular conditioner through my canopy (the dry part), then a small amount of coconut oil, then a tiny amount of coney serum (CHI Silk Infusion). I only need to use the CHI about once per week because the effect lasts. I CWC with gentle products and dilute the shampoo.

I hope this helps.

Elenna
December 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Wurly, fine and dry hair can look messy. It is the bane of our existence.

Moisture does help frizzy hair. How about a preconditioner of honey mixed with coconut oil and VO5 conditioner. It's a 1:1:2 ratio. Heat the coconut oil and honey in a microwave on a low setting, take out, and then mix in the VO5 conditioner. Make sure that the mixture is cool, and apply to hair BEFORE a conditioner wash. The oil does wash out with a conditioner wash.

I recently got this idea from Jojo. Although, she uses honey in a deep conditioning treatment instead of a pre-conditioner.

girlcat36
December 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
To me, as a 3a, it sounds like you need a trim and then you need to clarify.
I was just past BSL, and having the same problem as you. So I cut off 3", and cut a few very light layers onto the sides.
I clarified with baking soda, then conditioned with 1/2 honey(any kind is fine), and 1/2 cone-free moisturizing conditioner.
I used an ACV rinse as a final rinse.
I use Potion 9 as a styling cream.
I felt the same way you did. I couldn't wear my hair down, it looked stupid up; so I had to make a little change.
I had also been receiving some less than favorable comments on my hair recently, and to be honest, they were true.,

Dreams_in_Pink
December 6th, 2009, 11:26 AM
sounds like my after-henna hair.

Whatever you do just DO NOT CUT IT.

I had midback frizzy hair. To control frizz, i hennaed. After henna, it got frizzier. Then i got some layers to control the huge mess, but it got worse. So I had a major haircut, which is a short angled bob with back of my head shaved. Didn't work as well.

Now, I'm sitting here with tailbone length slick straight extensions on my head, wishing it was my own frizzy hair.

Many things might be causing problems: try to wash your hair with cooler water, have the water analyzed whether it's hard or not, try to air-dry, use hardcore oils like castor oil, have it in updos. Flat-iron it. Colour it, etc. etc. just don't cut it.

lapushka
December 6th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I'd try a DT, then a clarifying shampoo and a good moisturizing conditioner. If it's still a little frizzy then use a leave-in on top of that, or don't completely rinse out your conditioner (really short rinse cycle). That might help.

Clarisse
December 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
It sound as though a trim might be in order - to get rid of some of the layers, and to make it easy to manage the hair when it is left down. Nothing too big, but perhaps an inch or two. Or perhaps just wait it out - winter isn't too nice for frizzy hair. I havent found any wonder-product for dry hair (yet). My hair could use it though.

maskedrose
December 7th, 2009, 04:13 AM
If you haven't already, read Skitt's article. Trimming really is important, especially for our hairtype. I've been actively growing for 2+ years, but I haven't gained all that much length. I started out with mildly damaged hair which isn't horrid, but doesn tend towards frizz. When my ends are freshly trimmed, however, I have hardly any (and I have layers, btw) - see siggy for reference. I'm still growing out the damage and have a ways to go yet.

I'm on this weird four month cycle - I trim, my hair feels and looks fantastic for about 2.5 months, then my ends start to feel rough and my whole head goes frizzy (like the ends are contagious or something, 'tis strange). So, I start deep conditioning like mad which helps a little, but not enough and then finally I trim. I'm almost to waist and I'm very much looking forward to maintaining there for awhile and then slowly making my way down to hip. I just feel like I've hung out between BSL and waist for far, far too long.

So bottom line? Trim first, then make sure that you're really looking after it - do weekly deep treatments, oil between washings, comb gently, etc. Oh, and if you happen to like your layers, then by all means keep them - they probably aren't causing the frizz.

Hannah83
December 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Thank all of you, I am really grateful for all advices and that everybody is trying to help me! :flowers:

I had not heard of smt, so I googled and found it and tried this today. My hair is still wet, but it felt better when i rinsed it. I also tried oliveoil yesterday, and my hair really liked that, it smoothed the frizz down.

I do think I need a trim, because i have seen some split ends and white dots on my ends. But it's finally feeling long and it hurts to take of length. But maybe a cm wont kill me. :p

I will read skitts article tonight also!

Oh, and today, i rinsed in cold water. I always shower really hot, and maybe that causes some of the frizz to.

2TortyCats
December 7th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Mine's not as curly as yours, but the older I get the frizzier it gets. I have to use coconut oil, nothing else really does the job anymore.

spidermom
December 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Oh, and today, i rinsed in cold water. I always shower really hot, and maybe that causes some of the frizz to.

Definitely! Keep your hair out of the way of hot water; it's really bad for it. I don't use cold water, but I do keep it more on the lukewarm side for washing/rinsing my hair. Then I move it to the front while I'm letting hot water run down my back or vice versa.

Honey39
December 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I have wurly hair that's pretty dry. The things that seem to help:

1. SMT once a week seems to really give me long-term moisture, I've started doing this again regularly, and am very pleased.

2. CO-washing, with shampooing as needed - but you may need to clarify.

3. Use a leave-in conditioner with coconut oil worked in on top - this step is really important.

4. A regular trim (only 1/2 an inch every few months) freshens up the ends.

Hannah83
December 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Well, SMT helped a bit, but not so much with the frizz. I put in some oliveoil and a little honey when it was dry and that helped some. I'm thinking of cutting a cm or two, just to see if that's causing it. I think the last time i had it cut she did'nt take so much on the layers because I wanted them to catch up. What do you guys think? Shall I cut or try something else?

I don't now where to get coconut oil in Sweden, I have'nt seen any.

Arctic
December 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I don't now where to get coconut oil in Sweden, I have'nt seen any.

Probably you can find coconut oil from some health food store, if you want the good quality, virgin kind. At least here in Finland that's the place to look from :)

Arctic
December 8th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Oh, and for me, aloe JUICE is far more moisturizing than aloe gel. An other option is to dilute your aloe gel with water to runny consistency, it's also more moisturizing on my hair this way.

You might want to take a look at your water, if all else fails. The qualtiy of water is really important to our hair. Water can contain many minerals (even if it's "soft" water) that can bind into one's hairshafts. Also the pH of the water might be too high, like in my case I have an alkaline water which really affects my hair, and helps those nasty minerals and metals get into my hairshafts.

Hannah83
December 8th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Probably you can find coconut oil from some health food store, if you want the good quality, virgin kind. At least here in Finland that's the place to look from :)

Ok, I will try that. Is it liquid or firm? I really have no idea what to look for. :o

Arctic
December 8th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Ok, I will try that. Is it liquid or firm? I really have no idea what to look for. :o

It's firm in room temperature, and liquidifies after about +25 celcius, if I remember correctly (so it might be liquid during summer months) :)

Jannike
December 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Cocosa Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is available in health food stores such as Life here in Sweden. It's a solid at lower temperatures but in the summer heat it gets liquid. It looks white and half-solid in the stores.

Here's a picture
http://www.somanordic.se/cocosa%20extravirgin%20ny.jpg

You can also find Cocosa Pure Coconut oil which is much cheaper
http://www.somanordic.se/cocosa%20pure%20ny.jpg

I got the last one at a Life store as they hadn't got the other one then (it was some years ago). I guess the virgin is better quality :p

Hannah83
December 8th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Cocosa Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is available in health food stores such as Life here in Sweden. It's a solid at lower temperatures but in the summer heat it gets liquid. It looks white and half-solid in the stores.

Here's a picture
http://www.somanordic.se/cocosa%20extravirgin%20ny.jpg

You can also find Cocosa Pure Coconut oil which is much cheaper
http://www.somanordic.se/cocosa%20pure%20ny.jpg

I got the last one at a Life store as they hadn't got the other one then (it was some years ago). I guess the virgin is better quality :p

Thank you, I will look for it the next time i'm in town! :blossom: