PDA

View Full Version : Hair Questions Answered

CLCNY20
April 24th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I've just started my hair journey, and I don't know if it's in my mind or not but there has just been a LOT of hair commercials (sometimes back-to-back) and a lot of haircare tips have been popping up out of nowhere.

I went onto AOL today, and this was on their main page! I'm sure some if not all of these have been repeated in the forums, but just in case they're not all in one place on this site, find the answers to a good amount of your hair questions here:

http://www.stylelist.com/style-guide/hair-care-truths-myths

HairColoredHair
April 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Well, I'd argue with some of them...

You can find a sulfate-free shampoo for less than 25 dollars.

I've done CO very successfully and I'm not curly or coarse.

Silicones can still weigh down hair or make it brittle.

My hair loves oil. It Hates protein. That article assumes we're all colored (the hair, I mean).

CLCNY20
April 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Hm...re-reading some of what they say, I can see your point. I did learn something about not putting oil on colored hair, for fear of stripping the color. I definitely need to get a protein treatment, all this stuff is so new to me, you'd think I never had hair before I started my journey, lol.

Xanthippe
April 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM
all this stuff is so new to me, you'd think I never had hair before I started my journey, lol.

Haha, that is exactly how I felt when I first found this place! :lol:

florenonite
April 25th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Some of them are quite good and less-mainstream hair care, for instance the one about not needing to cut all the time and about washing less frequently (though I don't like that it gives an upper-limit). And I like that they showed a picture of a woman with shoulder-length grey hair (which is, of course, 'long' for women that age).

The comment about 2-in-1s made me think: what would happen if you used a 2-in-1 shampoo followed by a condition? Would that be a gentler way to wash your hair or would you more likely just end up with cone buildup?

paper
April 25th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Thanks for that CLCNY20. That was very interesting and helpful. One thing I didn't know about the oil on color treated hair.

GlassEyes
April 25th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Meh, some of it I don't agree with, but some is good. xD

Like the Co only for curly hair. D: And the thing about oils.

And the next part about the going from straight-to-curly hair is funny. Nicole Kidman has a naturally WAVY texture. HAH.

heidihug
April 25th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I did learn something about not putting oil on colored hair, for fear of stripping the color.

I color, and I put oil on my hair all the time. I never find that my color gets stripped out. I think this really depends upon which type of colorant you use - ammonia-based or not, permanent or temp, henna or chemical, etc. Yes, some good advice, but different things work for different people - as we all know! :)

lora410
April 25th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I wish oil would strip my hair dye color :lol: so far almond, coconut, olive haven't done the job! and this below truly scared me

"95% of volume is achieved from a product and blowout," says Lyle. A hair dryer, big round brush and root lifter spray are a must for high-volume styles; no cutting corners on this one.":mad:

Irishred
April 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I found the aspirin to clarify interesting. CO can work for any hair type. And the thing about oils:

... "Never put oil on your hair -- it will strip your color! When we fade colors in the salon purposely, we use hot oil." Oil mixtures can contain acidic ingredients, which strip color. Protein treatments are the most effective for damaged tresses.

They only use hot oil and only in mixes from the looks of it. Pure oils or a mix you make yourself will not have the acidic ingredients. And protein is not for everyone, damage or not.

Just my observations.

Lady Godiva
April 25th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Not bad, overall, certainly better than other articles we've seen posted here.

This cracked me up, though:

The new silicones are super light-weight, and can even be used on fine hair without the threat of weigh-down.Oh, my! Now it's a "threat"! Good grief! :rolleyes:

Last night I thumbed through Kyan Douglas' book Beautified at the bookstore and was likewise fairly impressed. He discussed CO washing and going up to three days in-between shampoos simply because sometimes he likes his hair slightly oily. That impressed me.

And I don't even do CO washing! :lol:

AnnieLuck
April 25th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows of a salon near Cincinnati or Dayton, Ohio that is long hair friendly? There is the Enchantress Salon near Cleveland, but that's five hours for me!!! I'd LOVE to find a place where I could find a person who could color my hair with henna, cut it occasionally (without needing to chop it off to 'style' it!!!) and so on. Any tips out there!!! :)

CLCNY20
April 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for not pelting me people, lol. Some message boards (for other subjects) like to beat up on noobs for posting things they feel are repetitive, or irrelevant, or just not 100% interesting. Now I'm REALLY glad I found this site, I need inspiration and friendliness combined with information if I'm ever going to get through this; of course I know that it's starting with the challenge of my hair, but it will definitely evolve into a whole-body change of lifestyle (I'm a soda person, and I've been drinking nothing but water and grapefruit juice for two weeks...okay, well a soda here and there, but certainly not the 5 cans a day I used to do), plus I never took multivitamins before, and now I'm taking one-a-day everday.

One thing I also saw in the article! Biotin! Has anyone here ever heard of/tried it? Does it really improve your hair thickness (which I really don't need) and growth? Very interested to find out...

florenonite
April 25th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks for not pelting me people, lol. Some message boards (for other subjects) like to beat up on noobs for posting things they feel are repetitive, or irrelevant, or just not 100% interesting. Now I'm REALLY glad I found this site, I need inspiration and friendliness combined with information if I'm ever going to get through this; of course I know that it's starting with the challenge of my hair, but it will definitely evolve into a whole-body change of lifestyle (I'm a soda person, and I've been drinking nothing but water and grapefruit juice for two weeks...okay, well a soda here and there, but certainly not the 5 cans a day I used to do), plus I never took multivitamins before, and now I'm taking one-a-day everday.

One thing I also saw in the article! Biotin! Has anyone here ever heard of/tried it? Does it really improve your hair thickness (which I really don't need) and growth? Very interested to find out...

This is what I love about LHC. You can ask stupid questions (I once asked why fine hair is in general more prone to splitting than coarse hair and didn't get beaten up for it).

I haven't used Biotin but I do know there are other members here who have had success with it.

Patrycja
April 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I must be the only one who has the problem of oil stripping out dye.I have used EVOO,coconut and jojoba and found that a good treatment of EVOO stripps out my dye worse.After dying my hair this most recent time-I'm not using EVOO,I'm going light on the coconut,and using jojoba as a more frequent oil(I was using coconut more often)

I found a sulfate free shampoo at my local grocery store and it was less than 5 bucks...

Kirin
April 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM
haha, okay protein is the best treatment for damaged hair? Not my head LOL.

I realize, its articles like this one, that just assure you its "this thing" that will fix damage, and you try try try.... and when it doesnt work, think you are just using the wrong protein pack, and try try try, and it doesn't work.

No wonder we get frustrated with our hair!

AnnieLuck
April 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I've heard about Biotin, but have never taken it. I've tried Collagen supplements, and do think it's helping not only my hair but also my skin. Silica supplements are supposed to be good too. All around though, I think just a good healthy diet and enough water and sleep is the ticket. I did try hot oil treatments (home brought from Sallys) and I don't think it stripped my color. I've also heard that rinsing with pure mineral water once a week is supposed to be a good clarifying practice for the hair. One thing I avoid like the plague though is too much shampoo and NEVER on the ends. BTW, I love this site too. I've always been told after the age of 25 a woman should cut her hair!!!!! I so appreciate the support from this group!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!! :)

CLCNY20
April 25th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I have my hair in these mini braids called Micro Braids--for anyone unfamiliar with that term, they are braids that aren't very thick, but not too too thin (or you'll have a hell of a time pulling them out...) which are braided for about an inch or so and then tied off at that point in order to let the rest of the hair flow freely. The hair I add to my own in order to do this is auburn, so I--of course, have to dye my hair auburn to match it up. In the past I would perm my hair underneath so that the roots were straight, and then dye it right after, and that was basically the main reason that I'd end up breaking off about an inch of my hair each month...which didn't help with the growing process at all, lol. So, I found this flat iron (I use the Sedu) that gives my hair this just-permed look (thank GOD for this iron...seriously...) and that allows me to no longer have to perm to achieve a straight style. Having the braids in takes a lot of pressure off of lightening my ENTIRE head to match perfectly, but I am in search of a hair dye that can get my hair a chestnut auburn without inflicting as much damage as bleaches, etc.

I've only been on my journey for about a month, but I seriously cannot believe how much I have learned, and how ignorant I was about my hair. My skin too! Even though I have no researched things on my skin as much as my hair, I'm ready to, because my plan for age 30 is hair a good way past my shoulders, and even-toned skin. If I could drop a good amount of weight by then (which I'm sure I'll be encouraged to do, because if your hair and skin look radiant, you want the rest of you to follow-suit) I'll be so ecstatic it won't even be funny. I plan on getting serious about relationships/marriage and my career in my early 30's, so I want to be in the best possibly mindframe/health/condition to really be able to deal with all that.