PDA

View Full Version : Best Booze/Beer for Hair?

Aer
December 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Hey Y'all,

I love to do recipes hair care, and I know that beer and liquor is used in a good deal of recipes. I know beer gives shine and volume as a rinse or shampoo. I also know that you can use other alcohols in recipes, like an infused vodka I make for a scalp treatment. I haven't paid attention to brands or quality however, and was wanting some suggestions on brands and types. I've heard not to use light beer for as ingredient, although I don't know why. So if anyone has any suggestions or experiences, please share.

Heavenly Locks
December 6th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I don't know? I usually just drink mine ;) The uh, increased circulation is good for the scalp! Yeah, that's it! :D

hmmm
December 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I haven't tried it, but if I felt obliged to, I'd use fosters :p

florenonite
December 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Hey Y'all,

I love to do recipes hair care, and I know that beer and liquor is used in a good deal of recipes. I know beer gives shine and volume as a rinse or shampoo. I also know that you can use other alcohols in recipes, like an infused vodka I make for a scalp treatment. I haven't paid attention to brands or quality however, and was wanting some suggestions on brands and types. I've heard not to use light beer for as ingredient, although I don't know why. So if anyone has any suggestions or experiences, please share.

Because it's not real beer :p

In seriousness, though, if you're using beer on your hair, use real stuff. I believe the malted barley is part of what helps hair, and a lot of the cheap lagers use other grains because malted barley's expensive.

Fethenwen
December 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
That's good to know :)

Themyst
December 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Remember Body on Tap shampoo?

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Customer-Suggested/Apothecary/Body-on-Tap-Shampoo/D/30100/P/1:200:2030:20260/I/f10833

But if you are going to make your own, I'd use Michelob. :eyebrows:

Madame J
December 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I suggest oatmeal stout for the added nutrients. It used to be recommended for pregnant women. Oh wait.... we're not drinking the beer? But... why not?

I've always heard that hops help hair, so maybe Sam Adams would be good? Kinda expensive though...

florenonite
December 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I suggest oatmeal stout for the added nutrients. It used to be recommended for pregnant women. Oh wait.... we're not drinking the beer? But... why not?

I've always heard that hops help hair, so maybe Sam Adams would be good? Kinda expensive though...

Don't you get hops in all beer? I went on a brewery tour and we were told that the four ingredients of beer are water, yeast, malted grain (preferably barley) and hops.

Madame J
December 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Don't you get hops in all beer? I went on a brewery tour and we were told that the four ingredients of beer are water, yeast, malted grain (preferably barley) and hops.

Different beers have different levels of hops. Hops give beer a floral, bitter quality, which is how I usually tell how much hops is in a beer. In their commercials, Sam Adams makes a big deal about how they use 4 times more hops than typical American brewers, which is why I made that comment.

I'm not personally a big fan of hoppy beers, but I had Hopocalypse a week ago and it was actually pretty good.

florenonite
December 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Different beers have different levels of hops. Hops give beer a floral, bitter quality, which is how I usually tell how much hops is in a beer. In their commercials, Sam Adams makes a big deal about how they use 4 times more hops than typical American brewers, which is why I made that comment.

I'm not personally a big fan of hoppy beers, but I had Hopocalypse a week ago and it was actually pretty good.

Hops are generally something that people like when they're older, but I'm quite fond of hoppy ales, like Jennings' C*cker Hoop (the first word is the name of the river on which the brewery is situated :p).

vampodrama
December 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
It would break my heart to pour my beer on my head rather than down my throat.... as much as I love my hair, I love my beer more.

Man, I sound like a boozer. Happy little boozer :D

florenonite
December 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
It would break my heart to pour my beer on my head rather than down my throat.... as much as I love my hair, I love my beer more.

Man, I sound like a boozer. Happy little boozer :D

I'd never use beer on my hair, either. It tastes too good!

The only stuff I'd use on my hair is the rubbish like Coors or Molson, but that stuff is so distantly related to real beer it probably wouldn't even be beneficial to the hair :lol:

TheBlondeApple
December 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
My hair loves beer-rinses with beer gone flat. I use Warsteiner.
Anja

Aer
December 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I don't mind using the beer for recipes because I don't like to drink beer, or most alcohol, although I like an ale occasionally by Highland Ales, I like their Gaelic ale.