PDA

View Full Version : An interesting program regarding WO

julliams
December 6th, 2009, 01:55 AM
We just had a program air on TV called "What's Good For You" that did an experiment to see what happens to the scalp from not washing with shampoo.

Both participants were allowed to wash their hair with water only (I think hot shower) for 2 months. A trichologist checked their hair with a camera at first to show a clean scalp with little flakiness. At about a month, they checked and both had a waxy feel to their scalps. The man didn't mind it but the lady hated it. Both had significantly wavier hair. At the end of the second month both participants reported their hair feeling "back to normal again" and little irritation but the camera showed that they had a build up of growth of yeast that had led to increased flakiness and some red patches.

I know this kind of thing is different for most people but it is interesting to note that the yeast built up since this would not be a good thing for anyone.

It made me wonder about CO. I always figured that the massaging of my scalp and the warm water was what was actually doing the washing but this particular experiment showed that not to be the case.

I'm sure it was somewhat controlled for the tv show but it was very interesting as not many tv shows are about hair.

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/whatsgoodforyou/factsheets/798250/do-we-really-need-shampoo

Juliette

Clarisse
December 6th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Interesting - and good news for us shampoo-loving people. Shampoo doesn't harm my hair at all...
I just wonder if it was sponsored by a shampoo-selling company?

julliams
December 6th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Hmmm....I didn't pay any attention to the ads. I wonder that too.

pelicano
December 6th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I have to agree with the results, having done water only for about 4 months, about 18 months ago now. In the end the waxy build up was just too much, after having got through the icky transition period etc. My hair wasn't in better condition, as the oils didn't really get down to the ends, and my scalp didn't feel too healthy, but it did reduce my oil production.

Having said that, the build up of fungus on the scalp wouldn't affect everyone equally - obviously if flakey symptoms were present, the person would begin shampooing again.

I figure, even my guinea pigs need a bath with shampoo sometimes! :D I personally think the key is really not to shampoo too often.

squiggyflop
December 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
ugh yeah right.. i get that waxy stuff and the yeasty red patches using regular shampoo.. they must have been selling something

halo_tightens
December 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm not going to live and die by TWO people's results, as everyone is so different... I'm mainly just happy to hear that this was even brought up on regular TV! That's really cool; hopefully a few people somewhere took a moment to think about their routines as a result...

I'm not giving up shampoo any time soon, myself. I just like all the options to be made known. :)

girlcat36
December 6th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Interesting.
I have candida(yeast) do to years of antibiotic use. I tried to do WO, thinking I was doing my hair a favor. This didn't work out. I have tried CO and 'poo bars. I always eneded up with sore scalp, and ultimately, flaking.
I have finally realized that due to a personal history of candida, that I must use a gentle shampoo several days a week.
I would rather be WO or CO because I have fine, curly dry hair.

squiggyflop
December 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Interesting.
I have candida(yeast) do to years of antibiotic use. I tried to do WO, thinking I was doing my hair a favor. This didn't work out. I have tried CO and 'poo bars. I always eneded up with sore scalp, and ultimately, flaking.
I have finally realized that due to a personal history of candida, that I must use a gentle shampoo several days a week.
I would rather be WO or CO because I have fine, curly dry hair.
have you tried monistat? if i use it for a week once every 2 months it keeps my yeasty scalp tamed..

florenonite
December 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not going to live and die by TWO people's results, as everyone is so different

I agree. I'm a bit sceptical that they only had two participants - not a very scientifically-conducted survey, IMO.

girlcat36
December 6th, 2009, 11:05 AM
have you tried monistat? if i use it for a week once every 2 months it keeps my yeasty scalp tamed..

Yes, I was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon!
It did help, I just got tired of buying it all the time. plus I guess I was a little scared of the other ingredients.