PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Dabur Shikakai soap? or Swastik Shikakai Soap?

earthymamawitch
December 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I can't find it on their site so it must be discontinued, but its on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220518289333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyone tried this & care to share their opinion?

Also curious about Swastik Shikakai soap http://www.ruchitaayurveda.com/product/83255/Swastik-Shikakai-Soap_954760.html

Also saw the Godrej Shikakai 3 in 1 bar http://godrejmall.com/pro_desc.php?product_name=Shikakai

And what people's thoughts have been on this. Especially would like to know what the fragrance is like on all of the soaps? perfume-y, flowery, fruity, herbally? I'm pretty sensitive to strong odors, I get migraines especially if it's really artificial or chemically smelling.

Thanks!
Jenn

cocolover
December 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I bought the Swastik bar, but once I opened it at home the smell was so gross I promptly threw it in the garbage. It was absolutely overwhelming, a very fake floral, old lady house, smell. I can't comment on how good it is since I never used it though.

Flaxen
December 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
There's an old, old thread about it here somewhere. The opinions were that the soap was very drying on hair. Be careful with Ruchita, too. They're not shipping their products or responding to email.

sapphire-o
December 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I tried the Swastik soap. It has a hideous color and smell, though the washing is quite fine. My hair was clean and fluffy and pretty nice. Over all it's a good shampoo bar for the price, I just wish they didn't put those awful fragrance in it.

*Oh I have oily hair so drying or stripping is not a problem.

Marions
December 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I wanted to try one of them, but changed my mind after reading the old thread. I was happy when Chagrin Valley came out with Ayurvedic herb shampoo bar. I haven't tried it yet as want to use up all of my samples before ordering again, but from the reviews I read it seems everyone likes it.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Eh, it's kinda stinky is a strange way but that doesn't last long. Very herbal (not perfumey at all) smelling stuff. It also feels very different from shampoo, even diff. from castile liquid and black soap. I get mine at the local Indian grocer for a buck twenty a bar. Online rips people off, unless they shop at an Indian online grocer.

ratgirldjh
January 16th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I tried several different brands of Shikakai soap a while back at different times. For me everyone of them was VERY drying even on pre-oiled hair and with a vinegar rinse.

Even if my hair would seem very soft and nice right after shampooing by the next day it would feel stripped. Personally I think the combination of soap with shikakai is too strong for hair!!!

Beesweet
January 16th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Doesnt' it have SLS in it?

I know the Dabur shampoo does and I thought the soap did too....

indigonight
January 16th, 2010, 09:42 PM
i bought the swastik and even though I heavy oil I found it very drying, on the other hand after that my boyfriend tried it and he fell in love, he also oils, he has very curly hair type 3b and his hair loves it, we ended up buying 3 more bars for him, I have heard before that curly haired folk seem to like this soap so it may not be for your type 1b hair. why not try just shikakai by itself?

nobeltonya
April 9th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I used the swastik shikakai soap [yellow wrapping] this morning because I didn't oil it last night [I oil almost every day, because it's hard to brush after washing if I don't], and despite the weird smell and time it took to lather [I'm used to liquid shampoo, and I probably didn't wet my hair enough], my hair actually turned out softer and more full [especially the ends] than with my regular shampoo. But, while it was wet, I found the texture to be completely different, almost sticky-like. It was weird trying to brush it without pulling too much [yes, I brush wet] :eek: But, as the day has worn on, the smell has faded quite a bit, so it doesn't smell so funny.. but, I still prefer the smell of my regular shampoo. This isn't a soap I'd use daily, but maybe every 3 days to once a week.. just for a change.