PDA

View Full Version : Wax. Or hairwax. Hair friendly or not?

free_hug
December 5th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Dear community,

I did try a search for the word "wax", but it was too short. Then i tried "hairwax" and had no results. So i'm just asking the question, now that my searches seem hopeless:

Do you think hair wax is more or less hair friendly?

I'm talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_wax

You see, it does good to my hair (defines waves/wurls in a way i absolutely love). Though the kind you buy in every drugstore is still a conventional product that does not have the breaking effect gel or hairspray has, it might have some other ill effects i have never heard of.

So what do you say? Can i use it regularly without doing harm to my hair? Or can i just go ahead? My hair is fairly thin and fine, so i prefer being careful.

Thanks for all answers :)

Heidi_234
December 5th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Try searching for "pomade", I've seen it mentioned a bit around.

Othala
December 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I used hair waxes a lot when I was growing my hair out from a pixie. I do not think that they harm the hair at all. I tried many products that were crap and finally came across Aveda Brilliant Humectant something-or-other in a blue jar that was just perfect for my coarse waves.

So go ahead and use hair waxes without worrying that they are harming your hair. They are usually just natural or synthesized fats.

Anje
December 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I think the main problem might be getting them out. You might need sulfates.

Alternatively, have you tried shea butter? The stuff is easily as stiff as pomade and adds some texture to hair. My hair hates it (makes it sticky), but I'll bet it would accomplish something similar to hair wax and it would probably come out like any other oil.