PDA

View Full Version : made it to 27"... and there it goes.

Sarah4983
December 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I haven't posted anything on here in a while... I just wanted to post a quick update per your requests and llet you all know that my hair has continued to fall out at a rapid pace since I last posted about losing it and it's so thin that I've made a hair appointment to get it cut much shorter... Possibly to shoulders or shorter.

I am having more blood work done this week (specifically on my thyroid) because this is not normal.

Thank you for all the advice in my last thread about my hair loss. I appreciate it.... It's a shame that I took so much pride in my once beautiful hair and came this far and it was all for nothing.

- Sarah

embee
December 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I am sorry you have had such a problem. Thyroid is tricky and your bloodwork may not show it yet, sometimes it takes a while for the bloodwork to catch up to the physical symptoms we see. My thyroid went wonky some years ago, and I am now on synthroid.

I did most of my hair growing while I was in thyroid trouble, up and down, tests every 6 weeks or so to see what was going on. I was so involved with how I felt and all the bloodwork that I did not notice extra shedding or anything - I just put up my hair and crept through my days/weeks/months.

Your length, 27 inches, is a tough length anyway, as I remember it. Seems it's prone to breakage at that length.

May you find a good shorter style and a resolution for your hairloss troubles. Then you can grow it out again if you like! :)

amaiaisabella
December 4th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Sarah :( I hope your doctor takes great care of you and gets you back on the road to health!

ravenreed
December 5th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I hope they figure things out quickly so you can regrow again.

bigmama8
December 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I am so sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully the doctors can find out what is causing this quickly. Then you can regrow your hair the way you want it.

Arctic
December 6th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear that! Hopefully you will find the reason soon!

pinchbeck
December 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I can only empathize with your since I don't know what it is like to have hair fall and I am truly sorry. Finding out the reason behind this will help settle your mind and I am wondering if it would be better to wait until you know before cutting your length. However, I don't know how much hair fall is affecting your hair's fullness/thickness.

We will all be crossing our fingers for you.

GoddesJourney
December 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
All for nothing? No. It was a good journey and you can do it again. Your doctor should be able to help you resolve whatever the problem is and you can just start again. No worries.

hennared
December 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Dear Sarah, I so hear you.

It took me nearly all my life to grow hair to 26" (it just never wanted to grow for years - I think being vegetarian for a long time may have been part of the cause). I finally got it long at age 40 (!) and then it started shedding like mad a year and a half ago. I've not got to the bottom of my hair shed yet, though I suspect female and thyroid hormones at work with me. I cut my hair to about 17" over the summer and really regretted it. Even though I've lost 40% of my circumference! I think now, that if I can hold on to decent scalp coverage (It's only noticeable at my crown right now), I will continue to grow my hair long, thinning be damned. My shedding went on for 18 months straight and only now is it back to my normal, most days.

Don't give up hope!

rags
December 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this! I have been in your shoes; I lost over half my circumference to a medication four years ago. It's frustrating and scary.

Most of the time, the shedding will eventually stop. Enjoy it while it's shorter - I did! (I cut to right above shoulder). I blow dryed and used product and had a ball with it. Now I'm paying for that, of course, :p but it really helped me while it was short. Enjoy your shorter hair, and when you get whatever the problem is fixed, you can start growing again.

And because I've been there - ((((((hugs))))))

rags
December 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Dear Sarah, I so hear you.

I think now, that if I can hold on to decent scalp coverage (It's only noticeable at my crown right now), I will continue to grow my hair long, thinning be damned.

Don't give up hope!

I should have just said - this, exactly! I feel the same way, hennared!

Sarah4983
December 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words :)

My appointment to get my hair cut is Thursday; maybe I won't get too much cut.... We will see. I called dr. Friday to make an appt to get thyroid checked.

The new job I started a few months ago is located in the same building as a bar/pub and the cigarette smoke smell gets bad sometimes; my lips are always chapped and skin is always dry. Maybe this is somehow contributing to my dry and thinning hair.... Who knows.

Thanks again for the support!!! *hugs*

pinchbeck
December 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words :)

My appointment to get my hair cut is Thursday; maybe I won't get too much cut.... We will see. I called dr. Friday to make an appt to get thyroid checked.

The new job I started a few months ago is located in the same building as a bar/pub and the cigarette smoke smell gets bad sometimes; my lips are always chapped and skin is always dry. Maybe this is somehow contributing to my dry and thinning hair.... Who knows.

Thanks again for the support!!! *hugs*

Smoking is allowed in bars? Wow. You probably already know that up here in Canada smoking in restaurants, bars, pubs, and dance clubs is not allowed. People have to go outside to smoke.

When I was thinking about you I was thinking I should have suggested that you should take a few inches of hair off instead of a drastic cut and change since you are attached to your length as many of us are. It might be enough to help you feel better.

JamieLeigh
December 7th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Hopefully you will get everything checked out and can get your health back on track. Your body's health is much more important than what your hair looks like, and the first priority is getting you well again!

As for the hair - perhaps you can start over again in a better place, once you've found and eliminated the problem. It's never for "nothing"! Growing out is fun. And if it made you happy, then it was worth every inch. :flower: