PDA

View Full Version : Does hair get fuller first?

mommat04
December 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM
This question seems kinda silly but tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my hair was cut into a pixie. I have almost 3/4 inch of growth :cheese: but more than that my hair seems to be much more "bushy/full" than it was a month ago. Is this the hair getting full again after being closely cut/shaved? Would getting thicker first have an affect on the growth? I mean would it have grown more if it hadn't needed to get thick first?

Xandergrammy
December 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I think most pixie cuts end up getting "bigger" before they grow longer. My hair actually grows "out" for quite awhile before it will lay properly, which is why I'll never have short hair again. Hope that helps. :flowers:

This should give you an idea of what I mean in my case- :gabigrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/59e1dcab.jpg

marikamt
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I agree w/ xandergrammy.... I don't think it is necessarily getting thicker, it just seems to grow outwards and stick out for a while until it gets long enough to lay flat. I went thru it too......

Lamb
December 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
As the layers grow out (literally!), hair seems to grow in a horizontal direction. You might find your hair is not a 1a, but more of a 1b/1c type as you notice the waves it gains with length. :)

heidi w.
December 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
It takes a bit of length for hair to then have some weight so it lies down, so yep, outward first, then down.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM
OH, and just because it goes outward first, doesn't mean it hasn't grown.

It's clearly growing.

Finally a pixie cut means a lot of layers and closely trimmed to the head, usually. Meaning really, hair is thinned to create that look. SO if you're growing out at all now, outward it goes first, and this includes the full thickness of the hair, not the thinned out hair, so it may well appear bushier for this reason additionally.

But the bushier effect is because of the outward projection first, before length is acquired sufficient to have the hair fall down beside the head, etc.

But it's growing. Growth is growth, no matter the direction. Curly folks, actually sometimes get a bit shorter because coils spring up. Stretch a coiled loop out and it can get mighty long, surprisingly.

heidi w.