PDA

View Full Version : Baby styling ideas?

birdiefu
April 24th, 2008, 05:12 PM
My DD has a little baby mohawk going on right now. The sides don't seem to grow much, the far back of course has been rubbed to fuzz, and right along the front she had shed off her birth hairs at about 10 weeks, giving her natural bangs with the regrowth. I oil and CO her hair (like when DS was a baby) and have some experience with growing out baby hair as DS didn't get his cut till he was 3.

But I want to do something with her hair to keep it contained to grow as healthy as possible as well as being 'cute'. With DS I just let it do it's thing till I could at least do a half-up since DH didn't want him to seem 'girly'. Right now, I sometimes comb her top hair to the side and put in a teeny little clip, more for decoration than anything. I can also do the 'ponytail on top' but honestly I hate that look. I'm also wondering about what to do about training (if I can) her hair to go back along her head a little. Right now it's just following the growth pattern and wants to swirl around to the front of her head. It will poof straight up, but when I brush it back it obviously doesn't want to lay flat in that direction. I know with me, if I put my scalp hairs in an odd position it hurts over time, and don't want to hurt her- but at the same time want to be able to do braids or whatever with all her hair going back.

She is very laid back about me grooming her hair, other than trying to look around at me, sometimes suddenly. She also stays very still for brushing and seems to enjoy it. Not sure if I should try braiding at this age (I feel so inept!) with the length that she has. Pictures for visual reference:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/birdiefu/hair2/BabyMohawk.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/birdiefu/hair2/BabySide.jpg

MermaidGirl
April 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Don't really have any suggestions for you, just wanted to say WOW! That's a gorgeous baby! She's just beeeeyooootiful! She has good hair, too, and I'm really liking the pointy spike in the first pic - she looks so playful! :)

A friend of mine's baby had bad hair - it was oddly patchy, straggly (in one section, it would be strangely short with long hairs mixed in) and she was just rubbed bald in back. But she grew the most angelic, incredible blonde curls you've ever seen! It just took her a while (almost a year). Your DD has good hair to start with, so she should definitely have some nice stuff to play with as she grows.

Nat242
April 24th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say that your DD is beautiful!

--Natalie

renarok
April 24th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I think her hair is adorable. Gravity will eventually take hold, but until then I suggest you enjoy her unique hairdo. A tiny barrette to hold it in a little upright pony would be real cute. Both my daughters were born with just a little peach fuzz, so I am quite partial to heads like hers...... she has such a sweet feminine face that she really looks all girl.

AshleyP
April 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Her hairs long enough for this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/tearsfallen/100_4638small.jpg (My daughter at 4 months, with her crazy hair).

It's not going to be too much longer before you can do braids. Right now, probably not long enough, you can try, but I couldnt actually get a good braid in my daughters hair until she was 16 months.

I was also a fan of giving DD a mohawk with gel:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/tearsfallen/100_4372.jpg

:D

WendyJo
April 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM
awww, she is so cute!!!

I don't think it is really possible to train the hair to grow in a different direction, I've been a hairstylist for nearly 20 years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone who's hair did not grow forward to the front in some manner. As it gets longer you should be able to do braids in it if you and she likes. Probably the best thing to do in the mean time if you want it to go back a little is to comb it following the growth pattern and direct the front to one side so it's off her face. A little clippie is great.

When my niece was tiny she had hardly any hair so we glued a tiny bow on her head, so cute :)

WritingPrincess
April 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
So cute! I was going to suggest double ponytails, but AshleyP got there first.

SpiralingWaves
April 24th, 2008, 06:38 PM
She's beautiful birdiefu!! How about a little headband for babies? Not the kind that goes around the entire head, but a real type of headband. I used to use them for my DD when she was a baby as decoration at first and then later used them to keep the hair out of her eyes. I also like what AshleyP has suggested. Piggies are always cute.

AshleyP
April 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Byt the way, I wouldn't worry too much about "training the hair" right now. As it grows, it will naturally fall into place. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but my daughters hair was CRAZY until she was about 14 months old. It's still a little crazy, but its starting to fall into its own part. I never tried training her hair or anything. For the most part, I just let her hair go where ever it wanted.

On a side note: Your lucky though, because your daughters going to have great hair by the time she's a toddler. Since my DD and your DD's hair looked pretty similar around that stage, this is probably similar to all the hair you'll have to deal with a year from now (and also to show you that it didn't need to be trained). http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/tearsfallen/100_0159.jpg
:eek:

birdiefu
April 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks all who complimented DD's cute looks and hair! I always think she looks adorable, but since I'm her mom, I would probably think so even if she had 3 eyes :agree:.

Her hairs long enough for this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/tearsfallen/100_4638small.jpg (My daughter at 4 months, with her crazy hair).

It's not going to be too much longer before you can do braids. Right now, probably not long enough, you can try, but I couldnt actually get a good braid in my daughters hair until she was 16 months.

I was also a fan of giving DD a mohawk with gel:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/tearsfallen/100_4372.jpg

:D

I love the double ponytail, and that gelled mohawk is hilarious! What do you use to secure the hair in the two ponys? I have the small Goody terry ties, but they are even a bit too bulky for all of her hair. I haven't tried the clear small bands yet, are those the best to use?

awww, she is so cute!!!

I don't think it is really possible to train the hair to grow in a different direction, I've been a hairstylist for nearly 20 years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone who's hair did not grow forward to the front in some manner. As it gets longer you should be able to do braids in it if you and she likes. Probably the best thing to do in the mean time if you want it to go back a little is to comb it following the growth pattern and direct the front to one side so it's off her face. A little clippie is great.

When my niece was tiny she had hardly any hair so we glued a tiny bow on her head, so cute :)

Thanks! I'll probably go ahead and just gradually comb her hair around over time. I'll just try to work with what her hair gives me and not try to pull the hairs back in a direction they don't want to go to prevent scalp-ache. Probably double ponys and braids would be best rather than one going straight back, then.

She's beautiful birdiefu!! How about a little headband for babies? Not the kind that goes around the entire head, but a real type of headband. I used to use them for my DD when she was a baby as decoration at first and then later used them to keep the hair out of her eyes. I also like what AshleyP has suggested. Piggies are always cute.

I'm not a fan of the ones that go all the way around the head, but 'regular' headbands would be neat, I think! Where do you find ones for babies, or do the ones in the little girl's hair section work?

Byt the way, I wouldn't worry too much about "training the hair" right now. As it grows, it will naturally fall into place. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but my daughters hair was CRAZY until she was about 14 months old. It's still a little crazy, but its starting to fall into its own part. I never tried training her hair or anything. For the most part, I just let her hair go where ever it wanted.

On a side note: Your lucky though, because your daughters going to have great hair by the time she's a toddler. Since my DD and your DD's hair looked pretty similar around that stage, this is probably similar to all the hair you'll have to deal with a year from now (and also to show you that it didn't need to be trained). http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/tearsfallen/100_0159.jpg
:eek:

Thanks again for the advice, especially since your DD had similar hair to my DD's. I think I just make babies with lots of hair, DS had cute ringlets to BSL (if he wore a bra...) and stretched it was almost waist by the time he had his first haircut. He got it cut right after his 3rd birthday *sniff* (DH had enough of it) :shrug:. I think once her hair grows out, I will be more confident on what to do with it, it's just this in-between stage that is a tad frustrating.

angelthadiva
April 24th, 2008, 08:00 PM
What a cutie-pa-tootie she is!!! :D

My DD was born w/a full head of naturally curly hair, that rubbed off right in the back of her head...We are talking down to the scalp!! I feel your pain. There was such a difference in length from the back of her hair, to the front and whatnot...You aren't at that point just yet, but what I did was tiny micro cuts until her hair was all one length...In the mean time, get creative w/the styles.

I bought tons of clips and ponytails and barretts; I have pics at work that I'll scan in the AM and post of some styles I came up with...

AshleyP
April 24th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I think once her hair grows out, I will be more confident on what to do with it, it's just this in-between stage that is a tad frustrating.

Yup, I know what you mean. My dad (and a lot of other relatives) would say for the longest time, "her hair is always in her face... one day while your not looking, I am going to just cut it all off". It got kind of irritating after a while of hearing that. But, its at a good place now. It just takes patience. :)

lyneya
April 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks again for the advice, especially since your DD had similar hair to my DD's. I think I just make babies with lots of hair, DS had cute ringlets to BSL (if he wore a bra...) and stretched it was almost waist by the time he had his first haircut. He got it cut right after his 3rd birthday *sniff* (DH had enough of it) :shrug:. I think once her hair grows out, I will be more confident on what to do with it, it's just this in-between stage that is a tad frustrating.

It's restating the obvious, but your daughter's hair is knock-out!

Do you have any pics of DS's hair? My son has some serious ringlets going. I love them...but they're just starting to come in. I remembered that DH was FURIOUS when his DX cut their sons' curls, so I had no trouble convincing him to let me grow out our little guy for at least a few years. I'm just curious what I'm going to be up against! Here is the current state at 15 months:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/lyneya/Walker/04-23-08curls.jpg

QueenBea
April 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
My little 3 year old had the same hair in the back--all 3 or 4" would stand straight up on the crown of his head! I tried putting in gel; blowdrying it flat; cutting it short (NOT a good idea). Finally at about 2 1/2, I realized that only 1) thickening over time, and 2) gravity would help--so his hair is longer now (probably 5 " or more for that troublesome hair).

Every picture from about 6 months to 15 months (when I stupidly buzzed it to 1"--it did NOT solve the problem!!!!) has the same surprised light-socket hair, like this:

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn254/QueenBea73/?action=view&current=hairboy.jpg

It still sticks out now (but not straight up) in the morning, and I spray it down with water. But as the day goes on, it fluffs up more. But it looks very cool now, like a little skater cut or something.

And it is so silky soft; I wish I could have baby hair again!!!! No damage, no messing--just wash every 2 or 3 days and leave it alone, sigh.

QueenBea

birdiefu
April 24th, 2008, 09:54 PM
It's restating the obvious, but your daughter's hair is knock-out!

Do you have any pics of DS's hair? My son has some serious ringlets going. I love them...but they're just starting to come in. I remembered that DH was FURIOUS when his DX cut their sons' curls, so I had no trouble convincing him to let me grow out our little guy for at least a few years. I'm just curious what I'm going to be up against! Here is the current state at 15 months:

I'm so glad your DH is supportive of the growing out, and your DS has some amazing curls already! My DS has more flat scalp hair (like mine does before the waves start around SL), but curlier locks (like DH before he stuck with his 1/2" haircut), he's about a 2c/3a but I think your DS is much curlier.

But pics I have, as only an LHC addict can do! :cheese: Various stages of it growing, last length pic shortly before cutting (sorta damp still in the pic, though). And a gratuitous updo shot for fun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/birdiefu/hair/Jhair-back1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/birdiefu/hair2/JordanHair1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/birdiefu/hair2/Boyshair3.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/birdiefu/Family/JsBun1.jpg

birdiefu
April 24th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I bought tons of clips and ponytails and barretts; I have pics at work that I'll scan in the AM and post of some styles I came up with...

Oh, I would love to see more style pics! What suggestions do you have on hairstuff that will hold bitty baby hair? The clips I have are the 'no slippy hair clippys', quite hairsafe with fabric over the metal. I am in a quandry with hairties that will hold her fine hair, too.

My little 3 year old had the same hair in the back--all 3 or 4" would stand straight up on the crown of his head! I tried putting in gel; blowdrying it flat; cutting it short (NOT a good idea). Finally at about 2 1/2, I realized that only 1) thickening over time, and 2) gravity would help--so his hair is longer now (probably 5 " or more for that troublesome hair).

Every picture from about 6 months to 15 months (when I stupidly buzzed it to 1"--it did NOT solve the problem!!!!) has the same surprised light-socket hair, like this:

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn254/QueenBea73/?action=view&current=hairboy.jpg

It still sticks out now (but not straight up) in the morning, and I spray it down with water. But as the day goes on, it fluffs up more. But it looks very cool now, like a little skater cut or something.

And it is so silky soft; I wish I could have baby hair again!!!! No damage, no messing--just wash every 2 or 3 days and leave it alone, sigh.

QueenBea

That picture is too funny! Yup, light baby hair just doesn't want to lay down too easily, huh? Baby hair is mostly hassle free since they don't get oily, but I do have to oil DD's scalp once in a while and scritch (gently) since she gets some cradle cap build-up still. And detangle the little rat's net that forms on the back of her head every morning *sigh*. But quick frequent maintenance makes it so she doesn't get all gunky or that those tangles get humongous.

SpiralingWaves
April 25th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I'm not a fan of the ones that go all the way around the head, but 'regular' headbands would be neat, I think! Where do you find ones for babies, or do the ones in the little girl's hair section work?

I found them in the baby/toddler section at Walmart a few years back. That section should have an accessories section especially for babies and toddlers. The headbands were regular headbands, just a bit smaller. You could even get a little creative and glue little buttons on them, whatever fits your style. :)

cindy58
April 25th, 2008, 05:22 AM
birdiefu, your daughter is gorgeous! A perfect little beauty.

The other baby pics are adorable too!

k_hepburn
April 25th, 2008, 05:27 AM
I don't know what it's like where you life, but over here you will frequently find stands with baby / toddler hair toys either in children's clothing stores / departments or in toy stores. As a dedicated godmother I just love browsing those.

Since you don't like headbands, I don't know whether this is your kind of thing, but have you considered something like a triangular mini-headscarf? They come in the most adorable colours and patterns, and are just a little triangle of fabric at the top of the head. Another thing, if you want to give it a bit more of an outdoorsy touch might be a kiddy buff. I think some of those even have an SPF - good for the upcoming summer months. But again, this may be too "headbandy" for your liking.

Greetings

katharine

seabear
April 25th, 2008, 06:16 AM
She's adorable! Just be glad she has hair - my poor DD was bald as a billiard ball until well after her first birthday. I used to tape a little bow to her bald little scalp.

spidermom
April 25th, 2008, 07:23 AM
She's a lovely child. I was a "bad" mom - never did a thing with DD's hair but comb/brush it until she was old enough to want to do things with it.

lyneya
April 25th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I'm so glad your DH is supportive of the growing out, and your DS has some amazing curls already! My DS has more flat scalp hair (like mine does before the waves start around SL), but curlier locks (like DH before he stuck with his 1/2" haircut), he's about a 2c/3a but I think your DS is much curlier.

But pics I have, as only an LHC addict can do! :cheese: Various stages of it growing, last length pic shortly before cutting (sorta damp still in the pic, though). And a gratuitous updo shot for fun:

I can see why you cried when it got cut! :) I have a sneaking suspician that my little guy won't get that long by three...I've seen pics of his father and half-brothers at that age....it just gets bigger and bigger and bigger! ;) The only diff in hair is that DS is a little strawberry-blonde/red, whereas DH and 1/2 brothers are all white-blonde as kids. My own went from perfect ringlets to waves by 2 or 3. It just got too thick. My mother used to get yelled at by strangers for perming my hair as a baby. She had to get my grandma to back her up that it just DID that!!! So poor baby boy is doomed to curls. We might as well learn how to work with them!

angelthadiva
April 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I thought I had better pictures, but this is what I came up with.

This is DD and DS, she was about 16 months old in this pic:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/SCAN0734.jpg

Almost 2 in this pic
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/SCAN0732.jpg
About 3 in this pic
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/SCAN0733.jpg
About 3 1/2 in this pic
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd9/angelthadiva/SCAN0731.jpg

TheBlondeApple
April 25th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Oh, she's sooo adorable!!!
I hope she's just as sweet as your DS!
Anja

birdiefu
April 26th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks everyone! You know, I never checked the baby section for hairstuff before, just the general hair section (has little girl and grown-up stuff). I'll have to see what they have there.

angelthadiva- Your DD is so cute! And those hairstyles give me some good inspiration :)

Anja- Thanks! She is a very laid back baby (more than DS was at this age), so I hope this continues as she gets older. And DS is still a sweet little charmer, except for the occasional 3-year-old outbursts at home.

angelthadiva
April 26th, 2008, 08:13 AM
angelthadiva- Your DD is so cute! And those hairstyles give me some good inspiration :)

Thank you! :flower: I wish I had better pictures to show you. I'd check out the girly hair toy section; that might spark some more inspiration for you too...Those soft, fabric headbands are nice too; especially if they have a bow or a flower on them. :)