PDA

View Full Version : Hair Trauma?

K_Angel
December 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Is it just me or have you ever felt "traumatized" by one of the hair products you were trying for the first time??

In my search for a hair conditioner that will work well for my hair type (2a/F) I just finished experimenting with a new conditioner and it made my hair a huge rat's nest! Even now, I'm feeling sort of traumatized and a little unsure about trying another new product! :scared:

Anyone else experience that feeling???? How did you get over it?????

spidermom
December 4th, 2009, 06:59 AM
I tried mixing a little baking soda with my shampoo to clarify years ago, and it made my hair matt together like felt - so horrible! I couldn't get my fingers or a comb through my hair without conditioner in it. It took about 2 weeks of daily conditioner soaks before my hair returned to normal.

Solution - leave baking soda in the kitchen.

Redheaded Raven
December 4th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have had this happen before only it wasn't my hair that was traumatized but my scalp. I had blisters show up all over my scalp after washing my hair. I suffered with them for almost a month. I am now a faithful reader of labels. The product that I used had wheat germ in it and I am allergic to wheat. Not good. Before that reaction I had been told that skin and hair products shouldn't be a problem. But I found out differently. :(

I hope that your hair recovers quickly. :agree:

Carolyn
December 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I had the same experience with bs as Spidermom. I giggled when I read her solution :D So right. Soap based products such as CV bars and AO products made my hair a total mess. My solution was to clarify and revisit products I had on hand. I gave the CV bars to AutumnLeaves. I hung on to the AO products for several years and finally tossed it all in my latest fit of cleaning. The way I get over something horrible is to clarify and then do something like a nice rich SMT treatment. The hair traumas are something that's almost bound to happen as you try new things. Your hair isn't going to be agreeable with every thing you try. You just move on and either go back to what worked before or you try something else.

Heavenly Locks
December 4th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Luckily, I haven't encountered anything that has had a horrid outcome. So far, I just stick to what works and don't bother branching out too often... :)

I suggest clarifying, going back to what you were doing before as well as a few intense treatments of something your hair likes. Like an SMT perhaps?

MsBubbles
December 4th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Oh boy, yes do I understand where you're coming from! I've been in hair-trauma mode now for about a month. I ended up doing what HeavenlyLocks said: clarified and went back to what worked (with a slight variation).

I want so badly to try all these things that other people swear by, here. My hair hates coconut oil for some reason. After this past month of disasters, I'm also too afraid to branch out.

JamieLeigh
December 4th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Yes - apple cider vinegar (ACV in LHC-ese). I think it was just too acidic for my hair, which loves protein and some of the heavier nutrients. :( I ended up clarifying and going CO right afterwards, because I felt I needed more moisture at that time than anything else. I haven't looked back. 8)

AJoifulNoise
December 4th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I've been lucky as far as my hair is concerned. The most that's happen is it became huge and poofy.

But, my scalp... that's a different story entirely. When I tried the brown sugar scrub on my scalp the pain lasted for days. That was at least a year ago. I'm still not really over it.

Keildra
December 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I haven't had any traumatizing experienced but I did go through a whole bottle of conditioner in two days, no matter how much I used it felt like there was no conditioner in my hair and my hair was so tangled and stiff in the end. I will never use said conditioner again.

hennared
December 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Is it only me that has mini hair traumas sometimes from products that work great other times??? makes me crazy ...

Darkhorse1
December 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
EVERY time I use a new product, I get nervous. some have caused major sheds to dry ends/greasy scalp. I get very, very leary, but like to try new products since they are out there and I love buying hair stuff :)

You're not alone. (((hugs))

What I tend to do is water the product down so that if it has a negative reaction/doesn't feel it's working, it's a milder application.

Bene
December 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Once by Ojon, and the other time by fenugreek. The smell!!! Ojon has a sickly sweet burnt odor to it, and fenugreek is like a bad mixture of maple syrup and curry. I'm a smoker, so I acknowledge that my sense of smell isn't the sharpest, so I dread to think what those things would smell like if I didn't smoke.

The fenugreek was worst though, because at the time, I happened to be coming down with food poisoning. I rinsed it out because I thought the smell was making me feel sick. Now I associate that smell with feeling like garbage, and with projectile vomiting and diarrhea. I kept the fenugreek because my b/f likes to cook, but the fenugreek has a strong scent, and every time I open the cabinet it's stored in, that smell wafts out and I feel like puking.

heidi w.
December 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Is it just me or have you ever felt "traumatized" by one of the hair products you were trying for the first time??

In my search for a hair conditioner that will work well for my hair type (2a/F) I just finished experimenting with a new conditioner and it made my hair a huge rat's nest! Even now, I'm feeling sort of traumatized and a little unsure about trying another new product! :scared:

Anyone else experience that feeling???? How did you get over it?????

Clarify and move on.

I AM very picky about my products.

I check ingredients a lot. But I have my routine down now and it works, so I don't mess with what I know is working.

No need to fix what ain't broke.

heidi w.

Thinthondiel
December 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I felt traumatised when I tried using coconut milk in my hair - it stank! I had to wash my hair thoroughly several times in order to get rid of the smell.

So I should have known better then to try doing a deep oiling with coconut oil. But my coconut oil hardly smells at all when I smell the bottle, so I thought it'd be fine... wrong. My hair smelled rancid afterwards. >.<

K_Angel
December 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I'm glad others know what I'm talking about... :grouphug:

I'm going to clarify and do a nice DT and hopefully my hair will go back to "nice-nice" again. :laugh:

Thanks everybody for your input! It helps to know I'm not alone in the
hair trauma department. :flower:

Dreams_in_Pink
December 5th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I had a scalp trauma when i hennaed my hair. My scalp flaked off for a few months after henna; even the olive oil didn't work.

ravenreed
December 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I have also had scalp trauma from various shampoos and conditioners. I get huge cysts that eventually burst and take all the fun out of trying new products. I am fairly conservative these days. I never did find out what was triggering it either. It started years in my teens and has happened from all sorts of stuff. The worst so far was pantene.

leafygreens18
July 21st, 2021, 09:12 PM
I had a true hair trauma this past week, and I am yet to recover.

I was staying in a hotel, and the hotel had a number of issues (and I had some issues with the individual I was traveling with). It was a little boutique hotel on an island, and they had delicious breakfast, fire places, bay view, very charming.One other thing they had was a selection of hair and body care products in the rooms which were very organic , high price, essential oil heavy and were inspired by the grounds of the hotel, and they were hoping you'd take them from the room or buy more from them for $20 a pop. I wasn't planning on staying as many days on the island, but my traveling partner kept extending and we were going on four days when I had only planned for two, I was out of clean clothes with no access to a guest laundry room (boutique hotel things) and no washateria, and I hadn't planned to wash my hair but decided I needed to since I was feeling so icky. I checked out the ingredients and they seemed okay so I decided to lather up. Immediately I was accosted by the overwhelming scent of the shampoo and conditioner, and the conditioner was truly one of the worst I have tried, thin and not very lubricating or conditioning, and smelled incredibly heavily of patchouli, miscellaneous rosy stuff, pumpkin spicey stuff. rinsed and rinsed and hoped once I got out of the shower it would go away, but my friend who was asleep and using a cpap machine smelled it and it smelt so strongly it woke her up through her machine. It was so bad that I had to rinse my hair out with a pantene 2 in 1 conditioner and I wanted to cry it made my scalp and hair so dry. I was so worried for my ends I put some Gold Bond diabetic lotion in my ends, and actually that made my ends feel great, if anyone feeling curious and likes a silicon serum this might be a bit of a hack as it's high in dimethicone and worked really well and is fr sure cheaper than a dedicated hair serum. I thought the ordeal was over but then, I had an allergic reaction welts and hives and all. So of course I had to zip off and try to find some Benadryl but everywhere was closed, what a nightmare. My hair has recovered but it has given me the hair cut fever, I'm thinking about cutting and getting rid of some dead ends, but maybe I'll nurse them along by going to buy my own bottle of diabetic lotion for my ends.

foreveryours
July 22nd, 2021, 01:05 AM
Only once, when I washed my hair with Mane 'N' Tail shampoo. It left my hair the tangled texture of steel wool. Scarey. I was fortunately able to wash it out immediately using my normal shampoo. Since, I've used it occassionally with no incident. I suspect it reacted to something already in my hair at the time.

Lady Stardust
July 22nd, 2021, 01:35 AM
I had a true hair trauma this past week, and I am yet to recover.

I was staying in a hotel, and the hotel had a number of issues (and I had some issues with the individual I was traveling with). It was a little boutique hotel on an island, and they had delicious breakfast, fire places, bay view, very charming.One other thing they had was a selection of hair and body care products in the rooms which were very organic , high price, essential oil heavy and were inspired by the grounds of the hotel, and they were hoping you'd take them from the room or buy more from them for $20 a pop. I wasn't planning on staying as many days on the island, but my traveling partner kept extending and we were going on four days when I had only planned for two, I was out of clean clothes with no access to a guest laundry room (boutique hotel things) and no washateria, and I hadn't planned to wash my hair but decided I needed to since I was feeling so icky. I checked out the ingredients and they seemed okay so I decided to lather up. Immediately I was accosted by the overwhelming scent of the shampoo and conditioner, and the conditioner was truly one of the worst I have tried, thin and not very lubricating or conditioning, and smelled incredibly heavily of patchouli, miscellaneous rosy stuff, pumpkin spicey stuff. rinsed and rinsed and hoped once I got out of the shower it would go away, but my friend who was asleep and using a cpap machine smelled it and it smelt so strongly it woke her up through her machine. It was so bad that I had to rinse my hair out with a pantene 2 in 1 conditioner and I wanted to cry it made my scalp and hair so dry. I was so worried for my ends I put some Gold Bond diabetic lotion in my ends, and actually that made my ends feel great, if anyone feeling curious and likes a silicon serum this might be a bit of a hack as it's high in dimethicone and worked really well and is fr sure cheaper than a dedicated hair serum. I thought the ordeal was over but then, I had an allergic reaction welts and hives and all. So of course I had to zip off and try to find some Benadryl but everywhere was closed, what a nightmare. My hair has recovered but it has given me the hair cut fever, I'm thinking about cutting and getting rid of some dead ends, but maybe I'll nurse them along by going to buy my own bottle of diabetic lotion for my ends.

I’m sorry, I hope it settles down soon. It can take a while.

I had a reaction to a Faith In Nature shampoo which lists loads of fragrant oils. It made my scalp burn. They gave me a refund but I’ve erred on the side of mild shampoos since then.

Jools69
July 22nd, 2021, 07:23 AM
I used to belong to a gym that supplied body wash, shampoo and conditioner in their showers. On one occasion after using their products, I had a reaction which left me with an itchy, peeling rash on my whole scalp. I went to my GP who prescribed me some stuff to treat it and told me not to use the products again. They were in dispensers, so who knows what they were. Thank goodness it was only temporary.

sipnsun
July 22nd, 2021, 01:34 PM
I have an autoimmune disorder which causes me to have itchy bumps all over my body during a flare up. We have yet to figure out exactly what causes it so it is very scary trying new products for the first time. I have definitely been traumatized by products that have irritated me because once it starts, it's usually a months long battle to get it back under control. I never leave home without my arsenal of tried and trued products plus all of the prescriptions I have to take if it were to suddenly start. This is the longest I have gone without an occurrence, my last one was in 2019!!

Ashtaroth
July 22nd, 2021, 02:39 PM
I had hive reactions to so many different conditioners that I stopped using them for years. Thank goodness for LHC pointing me towards oiling!
Have finally found one that doesn’t cause a reaction (or maybe my hair is now long enough that the conditioner doesn’t come anywhere near my scalp).

leafygreens18
July 22nd, 2021, 07:37 PM
I'm sorry so many here have had similar experiences! Luckily it was just some mild stuff on my neck and back and I was able to sleep it off and everything was gone by the end of the day after. I definitely hear you though, sipnsun, my sister has an autoimmune disorder and I am constantly worried if I have one reaction it'll set something off and I'll develop symptoms like hers.

sipnsun
July 23rd, 2021, 08:56 AM
I'm sorry so many here have had similar experiences! Luckily it was just some mild stuff on my neck and back and I was able to sleep it off and everything was gone by the end of the day after. I definitely hear you though, sipnsun, my sister has an autoimmune disorder and I am constantly worried if I have one reaction it'll set something off and I'll develop symptoms like hers.

Mine started out of the blue in my early 30's. Since I hadn't changed anything (detergents, products, ect.) I had what I thought was a bad case of poison ivy which spread over my entire body. It's so itchy, when I have a flare up I can barely sleep as the scripts give me temporary relief but not for long. I've been to quite a few doctors, they've biopsied me several times but can't pin point the cause which is so frustrating! I can have the tiniest itch and if I scratch it I'm soon covered in a rash. Has your sister figured out what causes hers? I sure hope you don't develop symptoms, for lack of a better word it really sucks!

Carrie's hair
July 23rd, 2021, 11:24 AM
Banana on my hair is my biggest trauma.
It was a few years ago and I thought if I kneaded it well with a fork it would be ok. It wasn't. I couldn't rinse it or brush it... :justy::disbelief: