PDA

View Full Version : Probably really mean, but it felt so good

Igor
December 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
I was talking with some friends and this new girl who was very interested in my hair

Her: So how long is it?
Me: About mid thigh
Her: What would you do if I snip-snip? (Finger gesture) Haha
Me: Have you arrested for assault
Her: Huh? What?
Me: If you came running at me with scissors, I would have to assume you were attacking me
Her: Shesh, it was just a joke!
Me: Well A there (Points to closest friend) collects rare comics and B there (Points) is restoring an antique car. Maybe they will find your little scissor-movement and joke about destroying something they like as funny as I did
Her: (Slinks away with nothing further to say)

Yea, it was probably really mean but it felt so good… :draw:

MAO
December 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
:thumbsup: That was awesome! I love it when people get put in there place........

LittleOrca
December 3rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
lol Igor you're my hero :)

Nat242
December 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
I don't find threats from strangers particularly funny, even when they might have intended them to be. Good on you for letting her know what your boundaries are.

Carolyn
December 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
Good for you :rockerdud

RancheroTheBee
December 4th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Oh, my God. That "joke" freaks me out beyond belief. They're making a joke about assaulting you, and you're supposed to chuckle about it?

I am so glad you said that, Igor.

Gumball
December 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Sometimes people just don't get it and how it's not funny. I've been to that point where they just need to be put in their place in some sense in order to get them to understand.

Tangerine
December 4th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Silly little girl. Great response, Igor! :thumbsup:

vanity_acefake
December 4th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Oh that was brilliant. Good for you. Wish i could think of quick retorts like you.

HazelnutDelight
December 4th, 2009, 01:26 AM
That was awesome. She's entertaining the thought of you being upset by cutting your hair, yet covering it up with an excuse, "it was just a joke!" People like this get offended if you tell them how it's not acceptable and somehow try to make it your problem. Even if they act like they don't like it being told they're wrong deep down they feel some respect after.

Aer
December 4th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Good for you! I would probably overreacted and been a lot meaner, but you did good.

Ninika
December 4th, 2009, 02:18 AM
A great comeback to a completely inappropriate haha joke, you're not mean at all! Seriously, I often wonder what kind of reaction those people expect :rolleyes:. It is not even remotely funny.

Shastrix
December 4th, 2009, 02:42 AM
*gives Igor a :Star:*

I get that sort of comments all the time. I shall add that response, appropriately altered, to my repertoire. :)

glossyshine
December 4th, 2009, 03:08 AM
When people say things like that, I feel they should end up feeling the way they were trying to make you feel.

I completely support your response, Igor! I don't believe she was completely joking, I think there was an edge of jealousy or maliciousness or something.

Of course, I'm still smarting a bit because of a chin-length haired friend's snotty remarks to me about why on earth anyone would want to join a long hair forum, so maybe I'm reading too much into this.

And my friend did eventually admit she's jealous.

Chrissy
December 4th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Not mean at all Igor.....just factual in my opinion. I'm glad you said it.

BunnyBee
December 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I hate people that make thoughtless 'jokes' like that. Your response was brilliant :D

Unzadi
December 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Perfect response, Igor. Well done.

Newniepg
December 4th, 2009, 05:07 AM
It was a 'mean' comment for them to make, in my opinion you reacted accordingly.

Excellent example of thinking on your feet, I always think of the really good comebacks after I have departed the scene!

:)

Xandergrammy
December 4th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I had a patient a couple of weeks ago who was hair obsessed (his father owned a hair restoration business or something) and he kept "joking" about cutting off my braid. I told him that I'd have him thrown in jail for assault. He thought that was hilarious. :justy:

myrrhmaiden
December 4th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Oh, my God. That "joke" freaks me out beyond belief. They're making a joke about assaulting you, and you're supposed to chuckle about it?

I am so glad you said that, Igor.

Yeah it's funny how some people seem to think that by using the "joke card" they can get away with saying things that normally wouldn't fly, as if simply labeling it as a joke should make it funny. I dislike it as much as the "No offense, but"... clause that always precedes something that is in fact, offensive.

Verbal loopholes. Pffft.

Francoise1606
December 4th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Yes it may have been a little mean, but still totally awesome! :cool:

Fiferstone
December 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I don't think it was mean at all, you basically told her that her comment was offensive, and you demonstrated by a very apt analogy, why it was offensive. Way to go, I'll have to remember that analogy the next time someone "jokes" with me about cutting off my braid!

Nae
December 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Rock on Igor, that was epic.:cool:

Medievalmaniac
December 4th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I need a "like" button right now...! ;op

Bonkers57
December 4th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Weird thing for a relative stranger to say! You were right to shut her up :thumbsup:

I was talking with some friends and this new girl who was very interested in my hair

Me: If you came running at me with scissors, I would have to assume you were attacking me
Me: Well A there (Points to closest friend) collects rare comics and B there (Points) is restoring an antique car. Maybe they will find your little scissor-movement and joke about destroying something they like as funny as I did

Shermie Girl
December 4th, 2009, 07:00 AM
IMO, you weren't mean at all. In fact, I think that you showed a great deal of restraint with the little idiot.

Way to go. :hifive:

redneckprincess
December 4th, 2009, 07:10 AM
well said Igor!!

rosieposie
December 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Oh my gosh, Igor. That retort was simply fantastic! :cheer:
Good for you. Mean.........in a good way! Legend

Babyfine
December 4th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Not mean at all, and even if it was,who cares?
What a completely stupid thing for that girl to say-especially considering
she didn't know you.

Rahenna
December 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Definitely not mean! Your hair is part of you - no one thinks it's cute to make jokes about snipping off fingers, do they?

Thumbs up for having more tact than me. I've been known to say things like "if you touch my hair, I will beat the [stuffing] out of you." Of course, I'm a lot more crude than "stuffing"...

Wavelength
December 4th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Very nice! :thumbsup:

MsBubbles
December 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah that was tactless on her part. Great job on the comeback!

MandaMom2Three
December 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
You DO know that your rock right? Awesme :D

JamieLeigh
December 4th, 2009, 08:36 AM
It didn't sound mean to me - well maybe a bit, but it sounded like she deserved it. People just aren't aware that they're not funny sometimes, and it's good to educate. :)

RavennaNight
December 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I think you educated her about a walk of life she knows nothing about. I think her comment was purely ignorant. People who don't have really long hair don't know what effort goes into it and how it is a hobby like the other hobbies you described. Nor do they realize how important it is to the owner of said hair, as it is a part of the body. Most people are used to it being cut all the time, and seeing it cut all the time. So they take for granted when someone doesn't cut it by choice. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson.

Heidi_234
December 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I agree with RavennaNight, her comment came from an utterly ignorant place, but I fail to see anything mean about your response. It was clear and well put, it probably made her see in your hair something she wouldn't have guessed, and it definitely made her feel not okay with (her idea for a) joke. It's perfect.

practikalmagik
December 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Well said! People often try and use the 'it was just a joke' excuse to save face when they realise they have gone too far but don't wanna admit it. Kudos on the quick thinking :)

Peter
December 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Good one! :) Well deserved.

Keildra
December 4th, 2009, 10:18 AM
You didn't swear or yell so I wouldn't consider it mean. I just consider it explaining your views and letting others know when they cross the line. I must say that would be a very offensive statement especially coming from a new girl or relative stranger. It would be different if it was a friend because a friend actually would be joking not secretly plotting to destroy what you love the most.

Isa-belle
December 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm glad you came up with such a perfect retort, Igor :thumbsup:

rchorr
December 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Well, threatening a scissor attack isn't funny, so ... I LOVE IT! It's unfortunate, but SO many people try to put people down by "joking" ... and it's never funny to the recipient.

RCHORR'

bigmama8
December 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I don't think you were mean at all. How rude of that person to say that to you. I wouldn't see that as a joke from a stranger. Personally I think you gave a very polite response.

Gothic Lolita
December 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Why is it that everybody belive he is the first and funniest one to make the scissor joke?! It so is not funny.

And your retort was great Igor! I wish I had the guts to tell people the right thing when they start to annoy me. It'a about time that somebody did as you did!

Little_Bird
December 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe she's going to grow her hair now!! Hehe... ...

Well done Igor, she had it coming ;)

Darkhorse1
December 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You go girl! This happened to me, from a friend, in Art class. She playfully put scissors near my hair and goes 'what would you do if I cut this?" and my Art teacher glared at her and said 'she'd sue your family for everything they had." and she said 'you're old enough to know better" She was the nicest, most laid back art teacher and I'd NEVER heard her so dead serious. My friend got the message and I always wore my hair up in Art class after that.

I wonder if people would understand if you said 'how would you feel if I cut your hair'? It's like, hello? Like people who think you are growing your hair to donate to locks of love. Whenever someone says that to me, I said "I think donating my blood would be a lot more useful than donating my hair that can't be used for anything but extensions for the very rich'. Muhahahaha. Course, I can't donate my blood, but the point is, blood is a LOT more in need than wigs.

I mean, this girl was a stranger to you, no? If it was a friend joking around, that's one thing, but a stranger??? I'd be more curious to ask how long it took you to grow, your hair care, etc. Probably because I'm a LH gal ;)

Bene
December 4th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Good for you, Igor. I never understood why people think it's so funny about chopping off someone's hair.

You go girl! This happened to me, from a friend, in Art class. She playfully put scissors near my hair and goes 'what would you do if I cut this?" and my Art teacher glared at her and said 'she'd sue your family for everything they had." and she said 'you're old enough to know better" She was the nicest, most laid back art teacher and I'd NEVER heard her so dead serious. My friend got the message and I always wore my hair up in Art class after that.

I wonder if people would understand if you said 'how would you feel if I cut your hair'? It's like, hello? Like people who think you are growing your hair to donate to locks of love. Whenever someone says that to me, I said "I think donating my blood would be a lot more useful than donating my hair that can't be used for anything but extensions for the very rich'. Muhahahaha. Course, I can't donate my blood, but the point is, blood is a LOT more in need than wigs.

I mean, this girl was a stranger to you, no? If it was a friend joking around, that's one thing, but a stranger??? I'd be more curious to ask how long it took you to grow, your hair care, etc. Probably because I'm a LH gal

Blood makes a lot more sense than hair!

Spike
December 4th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, that was mean.

Oh, wait--You meant YOUR ANSWER was mean, not her comment. :smile:

In that case, no, YOUR ANSWER was totally appropriate. And how awesome that you were standing right there in company where others had cherished hobbies that others could see as a bit silly (antique cars? comic books?? HAIR???) but were nonetheless precious to the owners.

Good on ya for quick thinking.

burns_erin
December 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Totally appropriate and factual answer

Vrushali
December 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
LOL Igor! You go girl!

drquartz1970
December 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Great comeback Ivor! :toast:

Haircutting "jokes" are not funny. :whip:

Miasen
December 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I can't really understand why people would think that was a funny joke. I love my hair, and always have had this slight fear of someone actually chopping of my hair, so no, it's not funny at all. I'd kick their noses in if someone ever did chop it off. XD

So way to go on that retort! I wish I could think up things like that in those situations, but I always come up with those good replies later on. :(

nph
December 5th, 2009, 05:24 PM
You are so right and I loved your response!

LoversLullaby
December 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
People just need to be put in their place sometimes. That comment isn't funny to me. I'm always afraid people are going to end up being serious about it. =/

Messyhair
December 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Way to put her in her place!!

As someone who did have my hair cut off against my will, I get extremely angry at people's "jokes" about cutting hair like that. Grr...

CaityBear
December 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Some people really don't know the meaning of a joke... Good job for showing her your boundaries.

When people say that to me (usually my dad or brother) I just say in a serious tone "I'd kill you". Now people know even as a joke, I'm serious about my response. I would hurt anybody who tried to cut my hair without my permission.

Vianka
December 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Wow. That would be about as funny as somebody "joking" about setting fire to your house, which is to say not funny at all! Good response on your part. Maybe she will learn to use the brain to mouth filter more often.

Angela_Rose
December 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Igor, that's great. Good for you! Some people just need to have boundaries set for them.

gnegirl
December 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Oh Yikes! I had a similar story with someone who upon realizing i drink very little alcohol, threatened to spike my drink to 'see what would happen because it would be funny'.

Miuku
December 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Mean? I think it was really nice of you.

The last time I heard this particular joke, about 3 years ago, my answer was "I'd stick the scissors in your eye. You probably wouldn't survive it." It did put the guy in a rather serious mood for a year or so. :)

Pixna
December 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I'm impressed, Igor!! Great response, absolutely perfect. You ROCK!!!

cocolover
December 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I actually don't think it was mean, it was right on. People joke way beyond where they should and saying the truth is saying the truth.

Arkady
December 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Not mean at all - and if that's her idea of a joke, she needs to grow the hell up. Well done for putting her in her place! *high-fives*

kimannabella
December 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Nooo, she absolutely deserved that.

theboredelf
December 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I can't stand people like that. You might have been rude, but I think I would have been much ruder. Hopefully you at least made her feel somewhat embarrassed.

enfys
December 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Doesn't she know you could strangle her with your braid?!

I really hate these jokes people (or strangers) make. Maybe she'll think twice next time.

yellowchariot
December 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Ah Igor,

I give it two :thumbsup::thumbsup:
You were doing nothing more than retaliating back to her premptive strike! lol :D
There was nothing wrong whatsoever with what you said! IMO it wasn't even mean!

Merewen
December 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
That wasn't mean. It was just not being wishy-washy. Good job!

fisher2
December 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
this is where a nice knife comes in handy lol my friend did it once n i carry a balisong as a pocket knife and i can draw in under a second so my friend did the same joke n i stopped the back of blade(so if he twitched he wouldnt get hurt) at his knuckle. i then told him my hair is worth more to me then his life.never joked to me about anything again

Clarisse
December 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
If a friend says it, in a joking way. Well, (s)he probably just had a bad day. But a stranger!?!

Back in elementary school, two girls thought it was fun to pull my hair, and to backcomb/tangle it while I looked away. Once, one of the girls put a scissor in my hair. I quickly pulled my hair away, and... slapped her in the face, telling her that she shouldn't put a scissor to my hair, just because her hair was the freaking ugliest hair I'd ever seen. From that day, none of them ever talked to me again.

I think you handled it great - a lot more calm and cool than me :)