PDA

View Full Version : Bunning hair with different lengths?

Darscilla
December 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
So, I posted a couple of weeks ago or so, about how I finally plucked up the courage to cut a v-shaped hemline, to imitate fairytale ends that weren't happening naturally ;) I love my new hemline: I've actually worn my hair down a couple of times to show it off, which I haven't done in two or three years.

I'm just having trouble making my old updos work now I don't have a blunt cut. Neck/shoulder pain mean I need my everyday style to be very quick and simple, which almost always involves a cinnabun with a stick or fork. But now with the v-shape, the last coil is all different lengths that stick out everywhere and look stupid :( I was expecting the taper to actually make it easier to tuck the ends in :confused:

I've tried everything I can think of to get the ends to tuck in: AVG, misting, twisting different directions... I hate using hairpins as they hurt my scalp, and it would take a zillion to catch all the spiky bits anyway.

What am I going to do? I so don't want to regret this cut. To go back to a blunt hemline, I would have to cut back to waist or more, and lose a year's growth. I'm so cross with myself; I thought I was past all this cutting, not liking, cutting again, shorter and shorter cycle. But I need to be able to put my hair up every day, too.

So:

Is there a knack to bunning hair with different lengths/ v-shaped hemline?

Could you suggest a very quick and simple bun that can be held with a stick or fork that would work?

Am I going to have to bite the bullet and cut off the v if I want a neat updo?

Help!

jocosema
December 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
I'm not the best at making buns, but maybe tuck more underneath the bun where it starts to poke out.

SpinDance
December 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
I find variations of inside-out buns help hide all those sticky-out ends, as does the Neoma Knot. Here are some of the ones I've had good luck with lately:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=152
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=123
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=30

Gypsygirl
December 3rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I hardly ever wear my hair up...but if I do put it in a bun it is always a simple braided bun. Someone on here suggested using aloe vera gel- and it works like a charm! :) I use four or five hair screws to secure the bun. It still looks kind of messy but in a nice way... ;)

Darscilla
December 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks! Spindance, I will have a go at those buns, but I'm not sure I'm going to be skilled enough to do them :roll:

At the moment I'm veering towards cutting to waist length, probably crying like a baby for an week, and then starting a course of Biotin. It seems I really will never learn :brickwall: But waist is still long, right? Right? And at least I'd have super-healthy ends and be able to do nice buns and braids.

ericthegreat
December 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
When you have layers Darcilla, You simply learn to accept that when you ponytail your hair or wear it up in buns or braids, that you will get those short pieces that stick out. Now if they really bother you that much, then gel it down, or wear it soaking wet and oiled(coconut oil works quite well), and pull your shorter pieces in as tight as you can and secure then in with 1,000 pins.

But the much easier way is to again simply accept that you have shorter layers, and to in fact make a deliberate style out of them. Actually now, since layers are 'so popular' among the non- LHC community, messy buns and updos are in fact what's "in", and tight, in control updos are "out". Be creative.........maybe you can curl a few of the shorter pieces that stick out, or pin it back with a pretty hair barrette!

SpinDance
December 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Give them a try Darcilla, I was totally n00b at buns, could barely do a cinnamon bun, till I tried these. The videos really helped me, since I could do what the author was doing at the same time. I tried most of the ones in the Articles section, along with bunches that came up on youtube and these were the ones that worked best and fastest for me and my hair. For me the secret was to make the bun a bit tight, then gently pull/loosen just a touch to little pull all the little sticky-out pieces into line.

As ericthegreat suggested something to help keep things smooth is good, too. A touch of oil really helps. I need to get AVG and try that sometime....

I just realized that I usually wear my hair loose the day I wash it, then bun or braid for the next few days. Part of the reason is that it won't stay confined very well on wash day. All the little whispies stick out and curl.

It would be a shame to loose length, but yes, waist is still long!

Darscilla
December 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks, that's good advice and sense :flower: I'm going to have to accept that if I want the hemline I've got now (which I adore), my updos are going to look different. I know I will be terribly upset if I cut it back, so I've got to make it work.

While I'm practicing, I think the easiest option is just to do a simple english braid day to day. Maybe braids will become my new signature style instead of a cinnabun, and problem solved. :magic:

Madame J
December 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I'm only at APL, and have crazy layers, so I just rock the messy bun and pretend I did it on purpose. It's kinda a spiky cinna-butt-bun, but it holds all day with one stick. Doesn't look stupid -- it's sexy and carefree.

Kris Dove
December 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
But the much easier way is to again simply accept that you have shorter layers, and to in fact make a deliberate style out of them. Actually now, since layers are 'so popular' among the non- LHC community, messy buns and updos are in fact what's "in", and tight, in control updos are "out". Be creative.........maybe you can curl a few of the shorter pieces that stick out, or pin it back with a pretty hair barrette!
Indeed. A "peacock"-style updo, with your ends deliberately sticking out could work really well. Or a bee-butt bun- my taper holds these really well.

rhysiana
December 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I've switched almost entirely to a Nautilus/Gibraltar/locked bee-butt bun because it's so much more stable than a cinnabun and it hides the sticky-outy ends much better.

Nautilus video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=466690622319220011#)
Gibraltar instructions (http://www.io.com/%7Ecortese/hair/styling.html#gibraltar)
Locked Bee-Butt instructions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=142)

Juneii
December 3rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF LAYERED HAIR!!

yup, what I do is wet them a bit so they stick together and then push the strands underneath the coil. I kinda like the strands that stick out, they don't look so severe that way :]

LadyLongLocks
December 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Maybe you could bun the shorter hair first ( cinnabun) and then wrap the longer hair around 2nd. Try putting hair in a pony first for more control. The longer back hair may hold down the shorter hairs???
Good luck!