PDA

View Full Version : How do I get big waves in curlier hair?

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
I have decided to wear my hair down for the 1940s play I am about to do. BUT I want to be able to have bigger waves (forties style) instead of the curls I have now. Is there a good way to do that? If I straighten my hair and then curl it it falls right out. I don't think bun waves would be all the way up enough.

Sorry I am wearing out the "forties" questions. :o

heidi w.
December 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I suggest really large curlers, wide in diameter, kinda like barrels. You will likely also need a setting gel of some kind to coat the strip of hair before rolling (not heavily, just a little bit). The larger the roller the smoother the hair. And you likely need to experiment with placement and a few smaller rollers (smaller than the big barrel rollers) in the mix.

And careful which direction you roll....I think you need to go 'under', that is start at an end of a strip, place the roller under, and then roll the strip under and up towards the scalp, and then pin.

Also if you want a side part or something like that, you may not want to work with a center part. Most styles in this era were not derived of a center part. Often a side part, and often actually in triangled sections.

If working wet, then you might well need some kind of low heat hood.

There should be some stuff online about how to create these looks.

Be aware that a lot of styles were built around hats in this era. The crown is smooth, but the edges have the rolled hair, to 'frame the face' when hat is off AND to have the style work with the hat, under the brims edge. They also had some pillbox hats showing up in this timeframe. ETA: That is the rolled hair sat under the brim's edge, and added to the 'look' overall.

http://www.fashion-era.com/hats-hair/hats_hair_9_hairstyles_history_1940_1945.htm
only images

I just saw a link for a youtube video to create a 1940 hairstyle, but I can't look and thus link from work.

http://www.hairstylescut.com/articles/1940s-hairstyles.htm
this link supports my use of large rollers

No matter what 1940s hair style you are trying to create, it is likely that you will need to include curls. These were a major elements of forties hairstyles. It was not as common for hair to be worn straight and when it appeared to be, it was typically just frizzy or wavy. The best way to achieve the type of curls that were worn during the 40's is to use rollers. Bobby pins and barrettes were commonly used hair accessories with curls. (the hair accessories has a link to suggestions)

AH, one more detail, a lot of women in this era wore smaller hair combs with some sparkly element. Usually from lucite and there was another kind of plastic. They might side sweep some hair to one side. IF you use a comb this way, you take the strip of hair, pull it back to approximate position, with the curve somewhat present, twist a bit. Place the topside of comb towards scalp (or head), and push in the teeth from front of face back into the hair, then when it's just about in the right spot, or slightly beyond where you want this decorative comb to reside, flip it so the topside of comb faces outward and push into hair more firmly. Don't take too thick of a strip of hair or it will fall out from weight. Just a sliver. Other items were the old style clips with say a star covering it that sparkled. I have a collection of such combs yet no ability to upload photos from my digital camera at present.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071022065252AAz24Qp
within this link, the second answer has a link ostensibly to some directions....oops, the nocturne link is down as it was hacked, it seems.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Authentic-1940s-Hairstyles-in-10-Minutes!&id=581847
this link promises in 10 minutes to have 40s hair

http://www.updoprincess.com/1940s_hairstyles.html
this link has a link inside to a youtube video of tips on how to create the look

Anyway, you get the idea. Just google 1940 hair style, or 1940 hair style how to?

ETA: This just in
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-American-1940's-Hairstyle
pictures and some steps on how to

heidi w.

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Heidi! Yes I did google everything I could find believe me! I have believe it or not NEVER used any rollers on my hair! What kind of rollers should I buy, the plastic ones and use big bobby pins. I found some pictures or what I want so I think I will just leave the hat off and if I can manage some waves maybe use 2 hair combs if I can get them to stay in. I never had much luck with them. Thanks so much!

forgetmenotak
December 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Curlsgirl, if you don't have experience with them, and if you don't have time to practice, you might call around to different salons to see if they can roll your hair for you or ask for a "wet set." I think that any salon that does perms that have the big bonnet hair dryers should be able to do what you need them to do.
Anyways good luck!

Curlsgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Curlsgirl, if you don't have experience with them, and if you don't have time to practice, you might call around to different salons to see if they can roll your hair for you or ask for a "wet set." I think that any salon that does perms that have the big bonnet hair dryers should be able to do what you need them to do.
Anyways good luck!

Well the play runs for three nights so I doubt it would hold through that would it? I will ask at the salon today when I go get my highlights though. I saw a site that suggested rolling hair around some kind of rods, bigger rods for bigger waves. I think they said perm rods with papers on the ends. I would definitely need to experiement first though.

heidi w.
December 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
You might be pushing it to have styled hair last 3 days and nights, or something like that.

But it can be done. You can position the pillow a certain way, use a net, and ask the stylist to tell you how to maintain it for this duration and how to spruce it up meanwhile.

As for rollers, large plastic rollers. I don't like the ones that have all that fuzziness on it. Catches hair.

heidi w.

spidermom
December 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Try a top of head bee-butt bun overnight, maybe 2 or 3. That would be the easiest.

Quixii
December 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
As a side note, I didn't find rollers took much getting used to. But I haven't put all my hair up in rollers and I did do smaller ones.
I did put all my sister's hair up in rollers, once...

But yeah, I would say big rollers.

Curlsgirl
December 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Okay I am going to try the bee-butts on top of the head (hee hee that sounds hilarious!) tonight overnight. Tomorrow night is dress rehearsal so it won't have to be right. If it doesn't work I have another style I can fall back on that is no fail.

Thanks!!!