PDA

View Full Version : Long time LHCers regrowing check in please

Chrissy
December 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I thought it would be interesting to see how many of we old timers (or maybe not so old) have cut in the past and are now growing out again. I know Pixna is one. Since we've had various threads piece meal I thought it would be fun to do a roll call.

If you have a picture from before you cut would you post it? I understand if you'd rather not. I have mine as inspiration that I can get there again. So here is my before cut picture at 28":

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=41654&albumid=3271&dl=1244859296&thumb=1

I did cut to a pixie like style. I am now at 19.5 inches. I will be very happy to get back to my original 28". Then on to my original goal of waist.

DMARTINEZ
December 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I dont have a before pic,but Im checkin in. No trimming here for a long time! ;)

Deb

DMARTINEZ
December 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
ANd WOW Chrissy, I never noticed youve been a member since 2003!!!!! :)

Deb

Chrissy
December 3rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
ANd WOW Chrissy, I never noticed youve been a member since 2003!!!!! :)

Deb

Yep I'm an oldie. Should have had hair down to the floor by now!! Oh well.....I was also a member on the old NET 54 site.

Coriander
December 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I had about 7 inches cut off in March of 2008... almost two years after I joined this site. I don't know if I have photos, but I'll try to find some. :)

lucys
December 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Does it count if I joined in 2007? I lost touch when the boards crashed, failed utterly to keep up the good work and lopped all my hair off winter 2008. It has become progressively shorter since then, ending up at chin. Now I miss the feeling of my previously long(ish) hair and am growing it back.

The really annoying part is that I was at around 27 inches when I cut. If I had left it, I'be at 33 inches now, past my original goal. Ah well.

ETA: actually it is worse than that, I cut some off in the summer of 2008, so would have had an extra 18 months of growth so would actually be at hip and heading for tailbone by now. Gah. With no trimming I'll be back at BSL in 20 months and at waist a year after that. Not quite three years.

I do have a picture (well, a friend does) but tracking it down is proving tricky. I'll update the thread as and when the picture re-materialises.

enfys
December 3rd, 2009, 03:07 PM
How old a timer do you have to be? I've been doing the rounds on hair sites since 2003 but I don't remember being more than a lurker here, unless I had a different name to my usual...

It's weird when you join and see people with short hair when it used to be a lot longer, even if I'm one of them!

Chrissy
December 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hi all!!! Thanks for your posts. Anyone can post here actually. I was just curious if anyone who has been around for awhile was in my shoes. Re-growing that is. :)

funnybunny668
December 3rd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Me, me!!!!!! :D
I'm on my Netbook right now, so don't have any of my pics available, but I do have a long-length pic in my profile. I was a few inches past the bottom of BSL. Cut it about shoulder-length, then cut again to a pixie! Wore it that short almost a year.
Now it's about neck-length in back, but has layers all over. Funniest part is, it's now about the same as how my mom wears hers, and I REALLY look like my mom (except her hair is pure silver!)

going gray
December 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Count me in too! Don't have any photos to post, I chopped my 23" hair twice since joining LHC. Hope I've learned my lesson this time, short hair simply doesn't suit me.

Igor
December 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
I joined in august 2003 after some growing out…

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/13th%20august%202003.jpg
The first picture I took for LHC and posted :wink: this is from august 13th 2003

http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/1st%20october%202009B.jpg
Latest length shot from October 1st 2009

6 years and 3 months-ish of LHC-guided growth :rockerdud

woodlandnymph
December 3rd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Don't have any updated hair photos, but since being a lurker since Network 54 days [2001 or thereabouts], I have grown my hair from a pixie to a few inches past tailbone.

Due to work stress, family stress, and my husband working out of the country for a brief stint my health and hair suffered in 2007. Had a major shed, thin straggly ends, so I slowly trimmed it back to hip.

Now I am learning to live more simply, attempt to keep stressful people and situations out of my life, and take my health seriously. These few steps have really helped with my quality of life, and an added bonus is healthier hair that I am happy to keep around my tailbone.:cheese:

zule
December 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Oh, Igor. That's incredible. All that work--you deserved to have beautiful hair.

vindo
December 3rd, 2009, 11:25 PM
I cut my long hair once (shoulder) and regrew it but I was not with LHC when I did that. When I found LHC I was already waist~ish+...so I guess I don't count?

Chrissy
December 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Oh Emi you can count for sure!!! I'm looking at what Igor posted. I think if it's ok with you Igor (:)) that I will use you as a see what happens when you hang around here for a long time and don't cut!! :) I will continue to grow that's for sure.

Chrissy
December 4th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Where's Pixna?????

lucys
December 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Wow, Igor, that is amazing. Totally inspiring, too.

I am certain I don't want mine quite that long, but I do think it looks amazing. It is also good to be reminded that hair does grow, and that even though I chopped it off, all I need to do is be patient and it'll come back.

And Woodlandnymph, your hair is gorgeous. So shiny. Your lifestyle changes are clearly paying off!

rach
December 4th, 2009, 04:41 AM
http://gallery.me.com/purplewisteria/100046/back.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12595031950001
http://gallery.me.com/purplewisteria/100046/user20480_pic47690_1250196899.jpg?derivative=mediu m&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12599265980001
i've being bounced between APL, BSL for over 10 years and i'm bored of it. reson for not being able to grow it was i kept straightening it and kept wanting quick instant changes which was harming it therefor i kept having to cut the split ends hence very little growth ever showed at the time.....

Shermie Girl
December 4th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Checking in. :D

I grew my hair to about tailbone and had it hennaed. Tried to de-henna it and destroyed it. I ended up chopping it to chin length. I am now about APL but still have several inches of destroyed ends I am coping with as I grow and trim. I should probably just bite the bullet and chop to my dye line but I just can't stomach the thought of going that short, again. So, I am just limping along as I am. :wacko:

Almost four years and I am back to square one. :lol:

Hedera
December 4th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I've been a member here for several years, grew to near (or really) waist in that time... Then cut to above shoulder last February. :(

I'm growing it back now, and I don't think I'll cut again any time soon!

For some reason I always spend hours looking for my albums, but if you can find them I have several length pictures in one of mine, both from before and after my last cut.

ReadingRenee
December 4th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I joined 4 years ago with hair a little past my jaw. I grew it out to about waist length but in the growing process I had it hennaed and dyed and a big portion of the ends were see through. After I had my baby and it was always getting horribly tangled and ripped when I would put her on my back and co sleeping I was always paranoid about it wrapping around her in the night, I was finding long hairs in her diaper, or wrapped around her fingers or toes, ( it was just postpartum shedding but with long hair it was intense) AND it was two toned from growing out the henna so I decided to chop it and then grow it so by the time she was 2 or 3 it would be back to about the length I had it but in much better condition.

Here is my hair a month before I cut it, along with some extra baby weight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/meowmixxrr/Shelleys%20Hair/IMG_2003.jpg

and here it is 2 seconds before I cut it. The picture that made my decision:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/meowmixxrr/Photo111.jpg

So it was a good run while it lasted but this time around Im looking forward to growing henna free hair. The henna really messed with my waves and I swear thinned it out although that doesn't make sense.

My hair is longer than my avatar picture but not by much! Im excited to apply the skills I learned here over my 4 years to growing healthy long hair. And Im going to enjoy each stage as it happens rather than stressing about how my hair isn't long enough. Having had long hair so recently, I don't feel the same sense of urgency about it.

Wind
December 4th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I started with around waist length hair and grew to tailbone my senior year. I don't have a picture taken before the cut, the closest I can find is about 6 months beforehand.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/EmilyMills/e69a3055.jpg

Cut to waist/BSL during volleyball, shoulder last fall, and then chin a year ago. I hadn't had my hair that short since the 1st grade, and I loved it for a while. Several trims/cuts since then, and my longest layers are about APL I think. Back to growing again now, but my goal is only BSL, to keep my layers and color for now. If I want ultra long hair again, I know I could make it, due to the great support and advice found here. But LHC has also taught me that I'm not here to decorate anybody's world but my own, and right now I'm just having fun. :D

Pixna
December 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Here I am, Chrissy!!! :waving:

I've been a member since February 2003, but it's actually been longer than that (I was on the really old boards in 2002).

Here's my "before" pic:
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/Pixna/PixnaSmJune03.jpg

Here's where my hair is currently:
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww160/Pixna/100_2520-1.jpg

Hedera
December 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Pixna, I just love the colour and texture of your current picture!
It looks SO soft and healthy. :inlove:

Radulfr
December 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Your hair is coming along very well, Pixna! :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work!

DMARTINEZ
December 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Checking in. :D

I grew my hair to about tailbone and had it hennaed. Tried to de-henna it and destroyed it. I ended up chopping it to chin length. I am now about APL but still have several inches of destroyed ends I am coping with as I grow and trim. I should probably just bite the bullet and chop to my dye line but I just can't stomach the thought of going that short, again. So, I am just limping along as I am. :wacko:

Almost four years and I am back to square one. :lol:

LOL at "limping along" :) I hear ya Shermie Girl!

Deb

Pixna
December 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hedera and Radulfr, thank you SO much!!! On days like today (when I'm feeling rather unattractive and my hair is feeling so short and blah), your comments really lift my spirits! :flower:

jchinique
December 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I cut shortly after joining (locks of love support for a family member).
Now regrowing with a recent self-bang trim ::::confused:::: not sure about it yet...

Chrissy
December 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah Pixna!! I think your hair is looking great!!! Thanks everyone for checking in!

vindo
December 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Oh Emi you can count for sure!!!

Okay =), my story is a bit lengthy though...
When I joined LHC I was in the middle of growing.
I was really hesitant about growing my hair because I had too many doubts that people have gotten into my head over time.
When I had long hair as a teen everyone hated it, I was told I don't have the type of hair that can be worn long.

http://docs.google.com/File?id=d245654_27c2rtbmgq_b

Thats me at 13...granted the Sun in Spray had caused some damage to my lengths.

With 16 I cut to shoulder length and added some layers. Layer I even went a bit shorter
http://docs.google.com/File?id=d245654_52fb6f4ngw_b

I kept it at that length for many years. Whenever I mentioned how I used to have long hair people rolled their eyes at me like "yeah right..", whenever I spoke about growing it out people meant it was not a good idea again referring to my texture.
So..I did not grow but after a few years I sneaked my way to well below shoulder length:
http://docs.google.com/File?id=d245654_38cq2j746d_b
Early 2003, And from then on it started raining compliments about my hair :confused: and I decided to grow some more.
My goal was BSL but it kept changing ^^

http://docs.google.com/File?id=d245654_44crsjs5d4_b
Very layered BSL, from the ages of 12-22 though...I was not in a friendly relationship with my straight hair texture though and always dried my hair in buns.
My hair gained length but I was not sure about what I wanted...I was stil dyeing and wearing lots of layers. Here is my first LHC shot..
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/NAGAI-KAMI/Emi/dez05.jpg
I had gotten higlights but hated the fact of having to bleach every time, so I had huge roots and below a hairstylist thinned out my hair so that the highlights are actually missing below BSL..:rolleyes: my ends were giving me problems for the first time.
Soon after joining I stopped dyeing ( I had used semi perm. color for 9yrs. monthly later got 1 time highlights)

And this is one of my most recent LHC length shots:

http://docs.google.com/File?id=d245654_75fdwkrdc3_b

My hair is a bit below classic length soon to be upper thigh length. Have been maintaining at that length for over a year to even up my ends.

I have no idea what hair length I want to stay at so I keep growing, helpless...and that is what LHC does to you :D

Carolyn
December 4th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I think Fia popped in a while back and said something about growing her hair again. I've been hoping she would come back and let us know how it was growing.

funnybunny668
December 4th, 2009, 08:20 PM
It's encouraging to know there are others who have been long before and are starting over. :)

Chrissy
December 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Emi I love your story. I know since my hair is so fine I used to not like it. I now really like my hair. This place has also been encouraging about growing even if you're older. I think if we all listened to what others said we wouldn't continue our journey. I sure am glad I'm here even if I had to start over.

Pixna
December 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM
This is a fun thread -- thanks for starting it, Chrissy! I hope more of us "old timers" who are regrowing check in!

Hedera
December 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Right, I've managed to find my photo albums ;).

Here is my hair just days before I had it cut off, in februari:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4417&pictureid=56871

and yes, it really is two-toned; while growing out, years ago, I'd dyed it a few times. Non-permanent, dark brown, the stuff that's supposed to wash out in 12 washes or so; instead, it turned a sort of bleached red colour.
I have a feeling I was inadvertently tilting back my head a little, but still, look how close to tailbone I already was! :o :rolleyes:

I'm hoping my ends will be less dry this time around, now that they're virgin (and all of my hair is LHC hair!), although I can see a colour difference already; the hair near my scalp is more silver, 'cooler' in tone overall, the hair on the ends is more brown.

And here is my current profile picture, taken in September:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4417&pictureid=56872

It's about to be updated in a few weeks though, I'm going to take a new length picture on or around the 21st of December (I try and take four a year; once every three months).

It's very encouraging to see that I'm not the only one growing back after having been on the forum for a while! :cheese:

Niphredil
December 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah, that's me alright ;)

I came here in 2003 with my hair just past my shoulders, grew that out to about hip in the end of 2005 and did a self-trim back to just shy of waist with lots of layers. I grew that to about hip again in a year and then had it cut back to about shoulder by a stylist. I was really fed up with my hair then and I have never regret it. Then after going back and forth between shoulder and APL I seriously decided on regrowing last January and I haven't cut from december 2008 until last week and I'm between BSL and Waist now but with lots of layers still. So I'm now going to trim the majority of them over the course of next year.

Pictures are in my album (friends only but feel free to befriend me - 2 months/100post min - )

lapushka
December 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
A few years ago I was about to hit BSL, my first goal length, when some light brown hair dye (L'Oréal Excellence) wrecked my hair. My scalp started to itch and burn, my hair fell out in clumps, parts of it turned green and the rest of it was a sooty black color. Not the effect I was going for. My scalp needed a cortisone lotion for a while. When all the dye was gone, I started growing again from chin length. It has grown 20 cm since I started over and I am now almost at BSL.

funnybunny668
December 5th, 2009, 01:28 PM
A few years ago I was about to hit BSL, my first goal length, when some light brown hair dye (L'Oréal Excellence) wrecked my hair. My scalp started to itch and burn, my hair fell out in clumps, parts of it turned green and the rest of it was a sooty black color. Not the effect I was going for. My scalp needed a cortisone lotion for a while. When all the dye was gone, I started growing again from chin length. It has grown 20 cm since I started over and I am now almost at BSL.

Wow, was that a chemical burn? Sounds painful. I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

lapushka
December 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Wow, was that a chemical burn? Sounds painful. I'm sorry you had to deal with that!

There are worse burns (relaxer). My scalp wasn't that bad, yes it felt burnt and it hurt. I felt like someone had dragged my head around on concrete, I could barely touch it, but the skin was intact and I didn't have bald spots from the hair that fell out (I lost lots, though).

misspriss
December 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I joined in June 2003, starting a little past shoulder (if I remember), and grew to past waist. I don't have any pictures, but there are a few in my album I think. My senior pictures were taken with my long hair. I then cut it off to a very cute shoulder length style, and I did like it. I cut my hair for a huge change in my life, and I am okay with that. I did a lot of things, I bleached it blond, I colored it all shades of brown, it gave me a chance to PLAY with it a bit when I went off to college. Now I'm a senior, I started growing again kind of in march of 2008, after a short cut. I got it cut again in December of 2008, for the last time. I went to a great stylist, paid a small fortune, and got a great cut. After a year of growth, the cut still looks good. It was barely shoulder length then.

I came back to the boards in December of last year, I think. I am now well past BSL, MBL I guess. I am an inch or two away from waist! I mean it is so close to waist and I can't believe it because it has only been one year!

Pixna
December 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
It's wonderful to see all my long-time friends here and know that I'm not alone in the growing-out process. :grouphug: If you know of anyone else who hasn't stopped by this thread, let them know about it and encourage them to fill us in on their journeys!

Lapushka, I'm so sorry that happened to you! What a horrible experience!

The upside is that we're back here and growing strong. Kudos to all of us!!! And . . . isn't it wonderful that we have weathered the storms and returned here for solace and support and found each other again? That's pretty amazing!

Darian Moone
December 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Oh boy! I cut and grow, then cut and grow. I'm so fickle! Here are the before & after photos:

Before my first major chop:
November, 2005
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/hair.jpg
After:
December, 2005
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/Darian.jpg

Before my 2nd major chop:
November, 2007
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/NOVEMBER25EARLYAMHAIR002-1.jpg http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/SundayAMHair11-25-07002.jpg
After:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/Newhaircut7-2-0823inches001-2.jpg

Before 3rd Major Chop, July, 2008:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/Hair06-02-2008-1-1.jpg
After, July, 2008:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/DSC03310-2.jpg

Before 4th and Current Major Chop:
Sept., 2009
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/IMG_0047-1.jpg
After:
October, 2009
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Darian47/IMG_0064.jpg

The last cut was done about a month ago. Since the picture was taken I have cut the hemline into a U shape, deciding I didn't care for the straight across version on me.

And, yes. My hair grows very quickly. What you see above took place over 4 1/2 years time and I had several "minor" cuts of 2-4 inches sprinkled in as well. Some of my cuts were because of chemical damage, some were simply out of boredom or hair frustration.

Another good thing about hair: It grows back! :)

Pixna
December 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Wow, Darian, your hair sure DOES grow fast!! You must have a lot of fun making all these hair changes, knowing it will grow back again quickly. I wish I had such luck. Thanks for sharing your retrospective!

Darian Moone
December 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Mainly I just kick myself, Pixna. I keep thinking how long my hair might be if I didn't cut so much, just maybe did some maintenance trims. I have a problem with being patient with my hair.

Pixna
December 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM
I hear ya on that, Darian. I have no patience either, yet that is the main ingredient for growing hair back to long. Every time I look in the mirror and wish, wish, wish my hair were longer, I have to keep reminding myself that time will heal all ills (including my insane chop from two years ago). If it's any consolation, I can't wait until my hair is YOUR length!!!

Hedera
December 7th, 2009, 01:29 PM
*sigh*

Completely agree with you both about the kicking yourself... I sometimes get this fysical, almost painful sense of regret, when it hits me that I did something really stupid.

I have to remind myself constantly that it grows, that sooner or later it will be long again - it just seems like such a long time away!

I tried making an updo with a hairfork and hairsticks yesterday, which was utterly hopeless, not a chance. I could use an elastic first of course, but I don't like the way that looks and feels.

Does anyone else here keep overestimating their hair length?

I'm always looking at people and updo instructions and think: "I can do that, my hair is at least that long" when it really is quite a bits shorter than that in the example.

Hmmm, it would be nice to re-visit this thread in, say, three or four years, when all of us have long hair again! ;)

Debra83
December 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I joined in august 2003 after some growing out…

http://www.22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/13th%20august%202003.jpg
The first picture I took for LHC and posted :wink: this is from august 13th 2003

http://22757575.dk//ida/photo/images/1st%20october%202009B.jpg
Latest length shot from October 1st 2009

6 years and 3 months-ish of LHC-guided growth :rockerdud

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!! :agape:

Chrissy
December 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
*sigh*

Completely agree with you both about the kicking yourself... I sometimes get this fysical, almost painful sense of regret, when it hits me that I did something really stupid.

I have to remind myself constantly that it grows, that sooner or later it will be long again - it just seems like such a long time away!

I tried making an updo with a hairfork and hairsticks yesterday, which was utterly hopeless, not a chance. I could use an elastic first of course, but I don't like the way that looks and feels.

Does anyone else here keep overestimating their hair length?

I'm always looking at people and updo instructions and think: "I can do that, my hair is at least that long" when it really is quite a bits shorter than that in the example.

Hmmm, it would be nice to re-visit this thread in, say, three or four years, when all of us have long hair again! ;)

It would be nice if in 3-4 yrs we all come together with new pics!!! Of course Igor is our hero and one who does have patience!!! She started close to when I did and did not cut. Hence her beautiful hair. We can do it!!!! :cheese:

Dvips
February 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM
If I remember correctly, I found LHL and LHC in Oct of 2003 and joined in Dec 2003. I grew my hair to TB, then cut it off a couple of years ago. It's been between chin and shoulder length since then, but I think I am going to grow it out now. (At least, my last 2 cuts have been with an eye to maintaining shape while growing.)

Here was my hair a couple of inches from TB: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4518&pictureid=58146 (private album, sorry!).

I don't know if I have any since the cut.

Pixna
February 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
If I remember correctly, I found LHL and LHC in Oct of 2003 and joined in Dec 2003. I grew my hair to TB, then cut it off a couple of years ago. It's been between chin and shoulder length since then, but I think I am going to grow it out now. (At least, my last 2 cuts have been with an eye to maintaining shape while growing.)

Here was my hair a couple of inches from TB: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4518&pictureid=58146 (private album, sorry!).

I don't know if I have any since the cut.

What an AWESOME shot, Dvips!! Are you going to aim for that length again?

Garnet66
February 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm regrowing again. Seems like I always go thru this cycle of let it grow a little then chop it all off. This must be like the 10th time I've tried growing since I joined in Dec. 2004. I constantly think of where I could have been had I not been cutting my hair all the time. I think that I'm finally getting somewhere this time. But again I keep cutting a few inches off every few months so I'm really not getting anywhere. I feel like I have the shortest hair of anyone on this board. One good thing I have to say about all these trims is that my hair has never been in this good of shape. It's soft, shiny and the ends aren't dry at all. Now if I can just keep it this way. So I guess I'm getting somewhere after all.

FrannyG
February 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM
My hair is only about an inch longer than it was when I joined here. All of my hair was severely damaged when I joined, so when I got to almost waist lengh, I cut off several inches, because I hated the way the damaged hair looked.

Then I had the bright idea of colouring my hair brown. It hadn't occurred to me that my white roots would start showing in about two days. Bad idea. Had to lighten my hair again, thus causing damage again. I cut off several inches again. I maintained my hair at around 22 inches for about a year and a half, and I'm just now regrowing. Finally. It's all in good condition for once though.

lindenblossom
February 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Hi all!

I've been lurking on boards (starting with TLHS) since 2002. Grew hair from about APL to waist by late 2004, then (stupidly) went to a haircutter and got it chopped to BSL in the spring of 2005.

Then it got to waist again until I (again) went and had it cut to BSL in early 2006. (Why?)

After that cut I joined LHC. The regrettable actions did not cease, however. My hair got close to waist again, but I cut it myself to BSL in late 2006.

Finally I left it alone for awhile, and it was beautifully at waist again quite soon, until I cut it (!!!) almost exactly a year ago in February 2009 to just below shoulder.

Now it's below BSL and I am trying to figure out how I can avoid this cycle. If I had just left my hair alone since 2002, it would have been incredibly long by now.

I think I have been able to pinpoint a few triggers that make me a risk to my own hair:

~boredom, especially in the winter (most of my cuts happened in winter or early spring)

~my hair doesn't easily stay in many updos, so it's easy to get stuck in a rut, although this might change if I actually allowed my hair to grow a bit

~getting tired of having my hair up all of the time, although now I have come to realize that anything below shoulders will be bothersome to me down, so I just need to get used to it

The good things those cuts did was to finally get rid of the old henna and dye, so my hair is all one color now~my natural color. I just need to sign a pact or something to keep the scissors away, because I ultimately do want to grow to terminal length. I also notice that my hair grows relatively fast, so I will reach waist again soon and will hopefully go from there.

I also realize how bad BSL looks on me, so I will not go that route again.

What are some ideas anyone else has to end the cycle of cutting and re-growing? What urges have led you to do this in the past, and how do you think you can overcome them?

~Lindenblossom

SchnauzerMom
February 19th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I joined in March 2006, started out with a pixie. I did really good for a little over a year and it was looking really good. For some reason that I really can't explain I cut it back to a pixie in May 2007. Ever since then I've been growing and cutting. But now I think I've finally got this thing locked in. The last time it was cut was last August (a pixie again). I have no desire to cut it except for an occasional trim when I get some serious length.

This is how it looked when I joined in 2006.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/Scruffy51/Kathy.jpg

This is the longest it got, April 2007.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/Scruffy51/HPIM0562.jpg

This is where I was last August, 2009.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/Scruffy51/DSC00387_edited.jpg

And here is where I am today. Actually this was taken at the end of January 2010. It's a little longer than this now.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/Scruffy51/100_2600.jpg

Addy
February 19th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I'm regrowing!

Here is my hair in August 09.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2787/8609conocombing.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/8609conocombing.jpg/)

I cut off 99.9% of my color in December 09 which took me to shoulder length with some layers.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8760/1609012.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/1609012.jpg/)

I'm grateful my hair grows fast although not fast enough for my liking... it could always be longer. But, I love my virgin hair! :D

Siobhan
February 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
I feel solice and support that I am not alone here!

Joined the Long Hair Lovers in 1997 and maintained growing from about a 26" starting point with trims every year unitl 2008 after birth of second daughter (regreted it after a few weeks). Had reached about 40" maybe more I can't remember and don't want to depress myself by checking.

Here's the original journey (I only have it small)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Esie/Misc/up_to_2003_montage_20625209.jpg

Here is a bigger one of the last longer length image I had, this will be before Dec 2007 as our old kitchen before moving house.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Esie/Misc/20070516_006037inch.jpg

I was doing so well and it took an age to get there:doh::cry::wail:

Here it is now at about 31" (damp hair here)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Esie/Misc/28Dec2009wet31inches.jpg

Hey ho in then end I have my 2 girls now who keep me busy and away from dwelling on hair stuff, we'll ge there. DD1 likes growing her hair too.

Hedera
February 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Siobhan, I love your curls!!! :cheese:

Babyfine
February 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I don't have pictures to share-yet- except my avatar picture.
I cut my hair to a chin length bob in July of 2003-kept it that way for about 9 months-missed longer hair and regrew it to shoulder length, which I maintained for awhile. In September 2004, at age 48- I joined LHC and decided I wanted to grow my hair out to waist length at least, a length I have never acheived in my life. I continued to highlight but I babied my hair and got it down BSL. I then decided to go back to my natural brunette and had the stylist use a demi perm color In January 2006. I then managed to get it to about Bottom of BSL. However, the ends were thin so I decided to cut it back to a blunt shoulder length bob in July of 2008. My avatar picture was taken in June 2008. I now have it back down to BSL after several 3 inch trims between
June 2008 and now. I WANT to try to get to waist length.
I was always told I could never wear my hair long because of my super fine hair texture, but I'm hoping with good care I can grow it at least to waist length, if I can only stop cutting!

lindenblossom
February 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM
It's great hearing everyone's stories! I sincerely believe that most of us here really want to grow their hair long, but sometimes other factors (stress, boredom, outside pressure, damage, etc.) get in the way.

Does anyone want to have a "long hair pal" to write to and encourage? Someone with whom we can share about our progress, or seek support from if we want to cut?

I know LHC as a whole is like this, but if anyone wants one-on-one support, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks,

Lindenblossom

RedButterfly
March 2nd, 2010, 12:31 AM
When I reached waist, I cut back to BSL to get rid of some damaged ends. I am now growing it again and hope to get to classic length eventually.