PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever trimmed splits while hair was coconut oiled?

Pear Martini
December 2nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hello LHC!

The other day I was applying my weekly heavy coconut oil mask to my hair. I noticed that once my hair was saturated to the coconut oil, I could see my split-ends and easily seperate them from undamaged and unsplit locks.

I have a lot of hair so when I do my trims ( only splits but still once a month trims) it is hard to track down my splits and I hate trimming hairs that are unsplit just because they happen to be next to one strand that is split.

I was wondering if anyone has tried trimming splits while they had a heavy mask of coconut oil in? Have you considered it? Could it lead to any harm? Please share your knowledge!

Jessikinz
December 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
I only apply a small amount of coconut oil to my ends. But there are days where I trim my splits while my hair has oil on it. I don't think it causes harm.

Pear Martini
December 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
Thank you :o My hair splits often due to multiple dye jobs and heat styling from the past.

Dars
December 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
If I notice a damaged end, most likely a white dot, while my hair is been heavily oiled then I snip it off. But I personally don't set out to do S&D in heavily oiled hair because it's harder for me (strands are clumped together and split ends can be masked by the oil) to find damaged hairs and it's messy.

Pear Martini
December 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you Dars. Now that I know it wont cause any damage I will try it tonight a report back. Wish me luck!!

GoddesJourney
December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Actually, I would bet that this is better than cutting dry. Wet or oiled hair should be less likely to fray.