PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion.

Ohio Sky
April 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I always have questions, and never answers, it seems :o

Anyone who has a good eye for hair color, please go look at my photo journal (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=789)and tell me what color you think I should be.

I am naturally a light mousy brown. I never liked it, and have been dyeing my hair since I was 16. Ive been black for most of that time, and black hair really just suits me best. I recently decided to try to go a deep mahogony red with henna, but now Im questioning whether Im really going to want the upkeep as my hair gets longer, and if I change my mind... eek. cutting and bleaching didnt used to worry me but now! yikes.

So do you guys think I would be ok as a dark blonde/light brown or it worth the effort to remain black/red with henna and indigo? I really like these colors better, but the upkeep is tiring. either way, I will probably slowly transition to a lighter color.

Thanks for your help! :)

Isilme
April 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I think you look striking in black, but you could hendigo to that colour. And as you stay dark you don't have to worry about overlapping when you do your roots.

Euphony
April 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Do you dye your eyebrows too? I have that problem, my hair is naturally a milk chocolate color that is super sensitive to the sun so the ends bleach to a gold. My eyebrows are so dark brown they are nearly black. My hair with the henna is still lighter than my eyebrows, I try to ignore it for the most part.

Okay I will say, you look smashing with the dark hair - it really does look to suit you. I can't imagine you however with the light brown/blonde color you've described, that may also look wonderful on you. I'm biased to dark hair though since I've always felt I was born with the wrong color hair.

HairColoredHair
April 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I think you'd look lovely as a light brown/dark blonde. Black hair with lighter skin can be absolutely beautiful, but it can be a touch harsh, a lighter tone might soften your look a bit. Don't know if that's what you'd like. :)

granitbaby
April 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Dyed dark hair and light skin can sometimes look harsh but I think don't think you have that problem. But I also think you would be gorgeous in your light brown/ blonde colour, why not give it a try?:)

Islandgrrl
April 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I really like the contrast with your dark hair and light skin. Gorgeous! My opinion is: continue with the henna and add indigo if you want to stay dark. Much kinder to your hair than chemical dyes and worth the extra effort!

Ohio Sky
April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Dyed dark hair and light skin can sometimes look harsh but I think don't think you have that problem. But I also think you would be gorgeous in your light brown/ blonde colour, why not give it a try?:)

I think I may be leaning towards this. I mean, if it doesnt suit me, I can always dye again, but if I get tired of dyeing, its harder to stop later.

Do you dye your eyebrows too? I have that problem, my hair is naturally a milk chocolate color that is super sensitive to the sun so the ends bleach to a gold. My eyebrows are so dark brown they are nearly black. My hair with the henna is still lighter than my eyebrows, I try to ignore it for the most part.

Okay I will say, you look smashing with the dark hair - it really does look to suit you. I can't imagine you however with the light brown/blonde color you've described, that may also look wonderful on you. I'm biased to dark hair though since I've always felt I was born with the wrong color hair.

Exactly! I never liked being blonde, I think black just fits my personality and my features better.
I have tried to dye my brows, but they dont seem to take dye. I color them in.

Poolsoflaughter
April 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Wow, your hair is really pretty, and I'm sure whatever you decide on will be lovely as well. I would definitely go with something natural if possible..

Curlsgirl
April 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
You might consider your "life plans" for whether to continue to henna or henndigo or not. If you are for example planning to have children or go to school etc. then that might mean it would get harder to find time to keep it up. It looks nice darker but you are beautiful girl so I think the darker blond/light brown would look great too and think how EASY the upkeep would be! If I could go back I would have kept mine instead of coloring before I had gray and now have to to cover it (well not have to but you know!)

spidermom
April 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Not that you don't look beautiful, but I think that the black color really washes you out. You look white. Not ivory. Not beige. White. So far, however, public opinion is flowing in the other direction and it's really hard fighting the current here. If being two-toned would really bother you, keep doing what you're doing.

Ohio Sky
April 24th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Curlsgirl, I have 3 kids and just graduated college :p lol. Not that Im not considering furthering my education more. The upkeep is already a PITA and I know there may come a point when my life is even more hectic.

No matter what, I am not going back to chemical dyes. I can either do mostly henna and be a dark red, 2 step to be black, or mix it and fade back to light brown.

Xandergrammy
April 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Is your natural color anything like your daughter's color? Just curious. I think you'd look good with your natural color although I do love your look of pale skin and dark hair (my son's GF has your coloring and black hair and looks gorgeous). I think in the major scheme of things it's always easier to go natural especially if you want long hair. I stopped coloring 2 years ago and when I stopped, I needed 3 bottles of hair color and was about ready to need 4 bottles to get the coverage I needed. That was alot of work (and if you pay someone to do it professionally, that's alot of money).

Irishred
April 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
You look pretty with the darker color, kinda that snow white look. However, I agree with Curlsgirl and looking ahead.

I am always a supporter of no color or natural color (ie henna), especially for long hairs. Is your natural color the same as your DDs? you could drape her hair over yours and take a picture to see kinda how it would look (if not the same then at least in a lighter shade). I do that with my blond DD, she looks odd with red hair, and I look kinda funny with blond.

Ohio Sky
April 24th, 2008, 04:03 PM
yes, my natural hair color is almost exactly the same as DDs (from what I remember :D!)

Thats a fun idea, Irishred. DD actually started crying this morning and asked me why her hair was brown, and told me she didnt like it and wanted it black like mine. It was sad. Maybe I can take a picture like that and show her what she would look like with black hair :)

sapphire-o
April 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Well your dyed hair looks just like mine, so of course I like it. :D I think pale skin and dark hair look stunning. (Think snow white.) All you need to do is probably use a bit more blush, maybe get a light tan. My little son has my hair and porcelain skin with rosy cheeks. He never looks washed out.

GlassEyes
April 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM
As much as I love pale skin and dark, black hair, I think you'd look better as a light or dark brown.

Light would look nice with your eye color, and dark would make your skin less washed out.

MadPirateBippy
April 24th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I think you look very Dita Von Tease, not washed out. Count me as another vote for gently hendigoing it lighter and letting your hair fade up, though, I've seen some GORGEOUS two-toned hair that basically washed to natural at the scalp and was incredibly stunning.

spidermom
April 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Ah yes; Snow White. Exactly.

iris
April 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM
The pictures that look best to me, are the ones where your hair looks dark brown rather than black.

You have very nice eyebrows, btw.

Iris

sweetkandi
April 24th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I think you look good w/ the black hair, but natural color almost always suits everyone.

amaiaisabella
April 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
From my experience with black dye (my mom has black hair), it doesn't fade that easily and really sticks to the hair. What I would do is add a dark red henna or demi-permanent color to it to add some dimension to your black. What I have noticed in my mom's hair is that it the darker hair gets, the harder it is to show dimension and just looks flat. Adding a reddish tint would brighten your fair skin plus keep the color you already have without too much damage :)

MotherConfessor
April 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I want to ditto amaiaisabella. She hit the nail right on the head.

amaiaisabella
April 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I want to ditto amaiaisabella. She hit the nail right on the head.

Hee, thank you! And me still a newbie :)

Deborah
April 24th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I think you would look beautiful with your natural, lighter color! It would highlight your wonderfully expressive eyes perfectly.

I had an aunt who dyed her hair black year after year. She thought it looked natural, but no one else did. No one ever told her so, because she was a wonderful woman and no one wanted to risk hurting her feelings. Just food for thought.

DecafJane
April 25th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I think that either would suit you, but as it grows out I would think that a more natural shade than black would be better. But that is just my opinion. :)
Black hair is much less forgiving, particularly with very pale skin. I really like the dark brown on you, and think that lighter would also suit. I guess it depends on the upkeep and what you prefer - lucky girl!!

MerryKat
April 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Beautiful as you are with your darker hair, the fact that you are already commenting about upkeep makes me wonder if you may not be happier long term with a less maintenance intensive colour.

I think from your description that your natural colour would look great on you.

Unofficial_Rose
April 25th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think you look very Dita Von Tease, not washed out. Count me as another vote for gently hendigoing it lighter and letting your hair fade up, though, I've seen some GORGEOUS two-toned hair that basically washed to natural at the scalp and was incredibly stunning.

This is a good solution - I think the dark is gorgeous and very fashionable but fading it out to lighter would gradually reduce the upkeep, if that's what you prefer. It would also keep the condition nice.

salamander
April 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM
In my experience, most people look excellent with their natural color of hair. It goes with their natural skin tone best. But I'm a total sucker for pale people with dyed black hair, so I think you look great. I think it isn't a question of what looks best so much as what you feel like doing. I'm hennaing my hair, and I've found that it isn't really that hard, but it drives some people nuts. Maybe you could henna a few more times and think about how irritating the process is, and whether it seems to be getting better or not?

Druid of Alba
April 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think that you would definitely look best with dark colours. Dark red, dark brown or black would look great on you.

ssjhotau2
September 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I know this thread is old and I'm necro posting, but I just wanted to say... didn't you dye your hair a medium brown for like a day around a year ago?

I remember working and seeing this girl that I thought was "omg gorgeous" going through the line a few checkstands down from me and I watched her. When she looked up I was sure it was you, though I didn't see you often and I felt very awkward around you then. However a few days later when I did see you again your hair was black.

If that WAS you, I very much loved your hair brown (for like the 1/2 second that I saw it :p) However black hair suits you wonderfully. Your skin is so clear of blotchy redness or freckles (unlike mine) and makes such a striking contrast with black hair, combined with clear green eyes... ::jealousy::

OK I'm done gushing :o.