PDA

View Full Version : Time For The Humidifier

heidi w.
December 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Just a gentle reminder to suggest to those in deep winter, snow country particularly, to get out the humidifier. I recommend using it in the sleeping room.

My friend, Lady Grace, who had at one time that I knew of, over 14 feet of hair length, uses a humidifier regularly, and got me started on using them.

It will help with fly-away hair, skin not drying out so readily (or less critically dry) in winter seasons.

Remember, in winter the air becomes drier, less 'humid' (moisture in the available air), so for some who have this issue, a humidifer really helps.

Some furnace systems now offer humidifier to be part of the unit, or can be added on if you have the money.

I use mine in the sleeping room for the most part. My former residence here in snow country I actually used to use one in both the kitchen AND the bedroom.

You can also get barometer and humidity thermometers to measure these things, if so inclined.

My long-haired chihuahua sleeps with me and even her long hair around her ears become fly-away and with the humidifier going all night, this problem is reasonably rectified, and it helps her itchy, dry skin.

heidi w.

Moldilocks
December 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I've been procrastinating getting mine out from the basement, and you are right, humidifiers are great! :O)

amaiaisabella
December 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I believe I now have to get one when I'm on vacation next week. I'm really going to need it once deep winter hits :( I've already seen drier skin, and my throat is dry all the time now!

freznow
December 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Heh, I have a humidifier to help with my too-oft-bloody nose. Cool that it's helping my hair, too!

Merewen
December 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, I was just thinking that my family had one somewhere. It's not just my hair that's dry. It's EVERYTHING.

Sister13
December 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
The low-tech tool: jars of water on your heaters. Some critics say humidifiers create mildew inside that require cleanings that may not be easy & also create micro-fine particles that may cause lung problems.

Yup, mason jars of water and also houseplants is how we keep moist in the city.

Great post!

girlcat36
December 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I am doing the opposite.
I have been running a dehumidifier in my bedroom. I have a pretty bad mold and mildew allergy, plus a severe dust mite allergy. Keeping the air dry and cool keeps the dustmites from breeding.

My hair does seem to be suffering for it. :rolleyes:

heidi w.
December 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Good point on that Sister13. I actually have thought of the possibility of this issue. Both on the potential issues and the low-tech way to do this.

And yes, good point on the nosebleed thing, Freznow. I knew it was time to get out the humidifier because I was waking up with a very dry and sometimes bloody nose, and the parched throat.

Um, when I took mine out, I also took the whole thing apart. Generally, all parts should be removable and cleanable. I discovered pretty built up gunk from allowing some water to sit in the tray. Hard to explain.

So some might use vinegar, but I used baking soda and a toothbrush, particularly on the ceramic heating unit.

All the buildup came off.

All this buildup DESPITE following directions and using distilled water. I think it's because I didn't clean the unit properly and drying before putting in storage. (I had left everything together and didn't realize there was a bit of water in this little tray part, and that kept the main water tank with water drops in it too.)

Anyway, just wanted to encourage folks to check the cleanliness of the thing, particularly if inclined to just fill with water and go. DO CHECK THAT EVERYTHING IS CLEAN, ALL THE PARTS.

One more thing: I have two settings on my humidifier. My humidifier makes warm air mist. One is low and the other high. I begin in high just to warm the thing up and get it crankin', but relatively soon turn down to low for the night. I also plugged mine in to a surge protector, not the straight socket. This low setting may prevent any potential issues with walls.

I position mine, because I run it on low, right next to my bed kinda around the pillow zone. My machine, the mist goes straight up, but some people's humidifiers may mist at an angle and thus too close to the bed, the mattress or coverings may actually prevent it somewhat from getting to the zonage you want--about the head a bit.

Truth be told, though, the point is to put some moisture in the air. I have a 1925 house and it's a bit cold PLUS I keep the heat low at night....anyway, generally speaking, this shouldn't be placed right next to sockets and right next to walls. The idea is that a room gets a bit of moisture pumped into it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
December 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
I am doing the opposite.
I have been running a dehumidifier in my bedroom. I have a pretty bad mold and mildew allergy, plus a severe dust mite allergy. Keeping the air dry and cool keeps the dustmites from breeding.

True, a humidifier given a problem with allergies, and any potential for mold, can be problematic.

Um, I did sweep under the bed and do a good vaccuuming job and get in the corners to remove as much dander, dust, doggie hair as I could as part of my setup to use this tool.

Drier hair may require a heavier conditioner in winter or a bit more oiling, or more frequent oiling. I find in snow country I AM, even with my Seborrheic Dermatitus, to go a day more without washing the scalp, just because it's drier.

George Michael's book, as silly as this sounds, states to stand on a rubber glove when combing hair if it's prone to static (that crackling sound that isn't about really bad splits, pulling or going over white dots). I've never tried it. But it makes a certain amount of sense, theoretically, anyway. Just will throw that out there....ya never know what works for people's hair.

heidi w.

Pear Martini
December 2nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
The low-tech tool: jars of water on your heaters. Some critics say humidifiers create mildew inside that require cleanings that may not be easy & also create micro-fine particles that may cause lung problems.

Great post!

Neat idea. When I move back to the North East I will try that. As for now I am in Miami!! Its 75F and sunny this time of year :p

girlcat36
December 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Interesting about the rubber glove!

Magicknthenight
December 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
I have a vaporizer. I got a little humidity tester thing at Walmart for a dollar or two. On the back its called a hygrometer. It is numbered from 0 to 100 %. It says dry on the lower side and humid on the other. In the center is a little blue area that says "Comfort zone". Lately it has been going towards the dry side so I have turned the vaporizer on and it helps a little. I believe I read the big difference was just that vaporizers were cheaper and put out warm air instead of the cool air humidifiers put out? Also that it doesn't need a filter because it boils the water? Either way the humidity monitor is good for telling when its getting too dry before it starts to take its toll on your skin/hair.
I just found this picture its like this

http://www.jardenstore.com/images/products/Products/HHG50PDQ-U_11_971_2.JPG

I really want to keep my room comfortable during winter. Especially since I will probably be getting a heater as i really dislike the cold. It kinda makes me wanna stay tucked away until spring comes x__x
I already have a bit of psoriasis and i don't wanna make it worse by sitting in cold dry air all winter so I'm hoping this helps out! :)

RavennaNight
December 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
I am doing the opposite.

/sorry for the hijack

Girlcat thanks for reminding me of these! I forgot they made de-humidifiers :o. I am also a mold/dustmite allergy person and my nose is constantly runny (ick) in the winter months.

/end hijack

But all else aside, I never thought to alter the humidity in my home to fix hair issues. A humidifier would have sent me screaming when I used to chemical dye. The steam from DH showering alone would cause fuzzball to rear it ugly head. I could totally see how this would work well in the winter though, and help with overall dryness. I know I battle horridly dry skin in the winter

Copasetic
December 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM

Great post!

Yes! My mom used to do this for me all the time when I was little because I would get terrible nose bleeds and dry skin in the winter. I had totally forgotten about it until I read your post. Now that I know that it is also good for your hair I am definitely going to start doing this again.

Brat
December 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Oh nooo, I LOVE the dry winter heated air! This state is way too humid as it is, and I grew up in the desert. I MISS the dryness! So does my poor frizzball hair. Humidity = frizz for me!

heidi w.
December 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Clarification.....

The type of humidity that happens in Mother Nature's weather is NOT the degree of humidity you want in your bedroom or anywhere in your house during the winter months.

Just a small stream of mist, whether cool or warm or hot, is all that's needed. And for those who have the frizz factor when Mother Nature ramps up the humidity, you will find a larger difference, I am guessing, from what happens when it's man-made by a little machine.

You can usually set these on a low mist, and farther away across the room, and you'll hardly notice it's there, except your skin will be a trace less itchy or dry and your nose won't bleed.

This is NOT AT ALL the kind of humidity that happens in a shower stall, either! ETA: That [level] ,again, would be very bad for walls and that kind of thing. You're not going to soak your house. That's not the goal here.

The idea is to add in a little bit to offset the dryness of the air, that's it.

But I imagine there might be some this still won't work for, but for those that do, or for the land of the brave curlies, it may be worth a shot.

Most units also call for distilled water.

As for de-humidifiers, in the area I live, again, there's a lot of humidity in the summer months, so I run one in the basement to now remove the excess moisture in the air to prevent mold from forming or the walls becoming a bit spongey, and to preserve the books from getting too damp and moldy. I am not aware of room de-humidifiers that don't also put out a fair amount of heat. Anyone care to educate me on a de-humidifier unit that WOULD work in a room, especially a 1925 house where the upstairs can be like sleeping in the attic in the desert? I'd love to de-humidify but it just makes more heat when I tried it.

heidi w.

Althea1984
May 15th, 2015, 12:30 PM
This is a great tip. Thanks! I definitely need the moisture. It's so dry were I live.