PDA

View Full Version : Name this damage (or not, as the case may be) (PICS)

blueroses79
December 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
It has now been a year since I discovered strands like this one in my hair. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/owlofminerva/Heap%20of%20Images/IMG_1151.jpg

Here's another angle. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/owlofminerva/Heap%20of%20Images/IMG_1154.jpg

These particular strands come from the top of my scalp. That's where the ones like this have been turning up. It's short because, finding that nothing I did smoothed them out, I've just been trimming them, strand by strand. Luckily my hair is fluffy....

When I first discovered them, I'd been highlighting big time. With the stinky stuff that requires windows to open and eyes to close. So I figured it was that. I've also since gone no-poo (usually), cone-free, use lots of coconut oil, and on the whole my hair looks healthier now than it's been since high school. But these things keep coming back!

Possible causes: I've used conventional dye twice (Nice & Easy). Not for months, though. And I admit to using some peroxide recently to lighten up a too-dark henna job. (And am currently yearning to do something to lighten the too-dark buxus job I did to color-correct the henna.) I don't really blow dry that part of my hair much. Mainly I use a little heat to curl the ends in the direction I want. I've tried satin pillowcases, swimmer's shampoo.... Any idea what's going on? Could I just be extremely sensitive to peroxide? Or is it possible that the texture of my hair will henceforth be trapezoidally kinky on the crown? (Which would be.... well, I haven't found the rough-trapezoidal hairtype in any forums yet. Certainly not combined with fine/slightly waviness.)

Current healthiness of hair (before unfortunate henna experiment):http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/owlofminerva/Heap%20of%20Images/IMG_1000.jpg

Also: Hi! I'm new!

Isilme
December 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
if it isn't broken it's just a coarse hair! Totally normal:)

redwoman
December 2nd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Looks like coarse hairs to me too. Nothing wrong with that.:)

RoseRedDead
December 2nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
It's just head pubes*.

*All credit due to the fabulous Dianyla.

Sister13
December 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
There's often marked variation in the texture of hair from the nape to the crown. Just biological imperative -- like a cowlick or a small patch of white hair from youth.

My 2 cents.

Merkaba
December 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I have these near the bottom of my hair, from where I bleached. They could just be coarse hairs as said above, but my vote is for peroxide/bleach damage.

paperwhite
December 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
I agree with the above posters, it just looks like a coarse hair to me. Nothing to worry about if it is--lots of people have more than one texture on their heads.

Arctic
December 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
I have those too, they are wiry and coarse. I am learning to love them :)

Dars
December 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I get a lot of those! I hate them and cut them off. I realise it might just be a different texture that's completley normal but I can't stand them :( I'll stop cutting them when I grow out my layers. By then all pre LHC damage (straighteners only) should be gone and if any new hairs grow in like that then I'll leave them in peace.

WritergirlAD
December 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I get tons of those. I don't like them and feel really tempted to yank them off my scalp. It's so weird, because they really don't match the rest of my hair. :confused: It's not damage, though, I think it's just natural variation in texture.

SunRae
December 2nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have those too!
In fact, just last night I was thinking about posting a question about them. I was searching for splits to cut - and was wondering if they were damaged hairs.
Thanks everyone, for helping me feel a little bit more normal. :cool:

halo_tightens
December 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah, it seems that lots of people get those occasionally.

I love the very apt "head pubes" name for them, lol! It's a perfect description of the little buggers.

akevita2002
December 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Oh, I get lots of those! Mostly the new hairs are like that and only after they grow a few inches they get "normal". So my head is a big frizz lolz, especially if rain gets on my hair those type of hairs look like wire :d

blueroses79
December 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
The plot thickens. (I love the expression, "hair pubes," by the way! That's too, too accurate.)

I suspect these hairs are highly porous. I think my hair has always been. In college, hard water made it stringy and coarse-looking. High-quantity 'cone serums also have a tendency to make all of my hair look like this, at least in thickness. They look awful on my hair.

So maybe it's a combination of innate hair texture and peroxide damage.... I'll just have to stop using peroxide for awhile to test it.

I wonder, if it's a natural hair texture, is there a particular way to care for this hair texture.... or at least help me resist the urge to trim it away?

CrisDee
December 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
The ones that I get that are like that are the grays - my hair texture is just like that top picture, the non-grays are like the top hair and the grays are like the bottom one, much coarser and thicker.

HildeMV
December 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
My hair gets like that if I stretch it too much.

akevita2002
December 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
So maybe it's a combination of innate hair texture and peroxide damage.... I'll just have to stop using peroxide for awhile to test it.
Hmm...I don't think it's damage, at least not for me. I got those during puberty. As a kid, my hair was straighter and not frizzy and as soon as I hit puberty my hair started to change, it got wavier and with more volume because of those type of hairs I suppose. I guess it has to do with hormones. You can see the difference between my hair as a child and how it is now on this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=29154and in my album.

nienna42
December 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
I've had lots of those for ages, mostly along my center part. Most of them fall out when they're less than six inches long, but I have a few that I've nursed along that are as long as the rest of my hair. I love them because they feel neat to run between my fingers, and my hair is such a weird mixture of textures anyway that they disappear into the rest of the mess. :D I think it's a case of different types of hair growing on different parts of the scalp, rather than damage, because I had them even when the most damaging thing I'd ever done to my hair was wash it (ha).

Brat
December 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have them in the very top/back section on my head. Everything else is a lot less coarse. A stylist once told me that coarse hair like that can only be tamed by heat... or left alone!

ETA: I think mine right there came from a car accident where my hair was ripped from my head. (it really can happen, the car flipped, the back glass came out, hair was sucked out and underneath the roof of the car as it slid) That's when I first noticed that part had turned coarse. Maybe the follicles were damaged, therefore it truly is damage? Hmmm.....

Cat Lady
December 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
If they are significantly thicker than your other strands I'd second/third/fourth the head pubes theory :D.

I have gently wavy hair, but I have found 4 or 5 really thick long kinky/spiral hairs that grow out of the crown of my scalp.

I don't think it's damage from that photo, in fact coarse hairs like that are probably more likely to resist damage more than your other hairs.

Your hair looks lovely by the way. Good job helping it bounce back! I hope I can do the same.

Sheltie_Momma
December 2nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
All my hairs look like your one coarse one!

OleanderTime
December 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
Oh my gosh, I'm glad to see so many people say they think this is normal! My first thought on seeing those pictures was, "well, lots of my hairs just look like that every day." I've always thought it was funny when I do find a fallen strand standing out against a bright work surface or a book or the like, because it's always so intensely course and weirdly angled. But I don't feel like all of my hair is like that.

So yea, normal. Phew. :)

blueroses79
December 2nd, 2009, 09:31 PM
This is heartening. I've definitely got more than a few, though. The amount of volume my hair is missing right now is embarrassing.

I thought they might be damage I guess because I first noticed them after the out-of-control highlighting. But it's possible that I just never examined my individual strands that closely before.

When I showed them to my mom, who has very coarse, very straight hair, she said they looked normal, too. (Though none of her hair would kink like that.)

In any case, I think I'm ready to leave them alone and let them start growing :)

spidermom
December 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
I've got 'em, too.

blueroses79
December 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Oooh, that makes me feel better! I've been admiring your hair, spidermom.

blueroses79
December 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Your hair looks lovely by the way. Good job helping it bounce back! I hope I can do the same.

thank you!

Aditi
December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 PM
They are normal i have them too, they are just coarse hair stronger than the other strands of our hair and more thick too.

Schefflera
December 2nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
I've got those too, yeah. I'm glad somebody asked, because I suspected either natural variation or (maybe) some sort of weird buildup or stretch damage based on the location. Not enough of them to get them to curl together like you're supposed to with curlier hair, so they just kind of halo mostly.

Actually, I have a habit of pulling them out; they feel rough, like something's gone wrong and they're out to start tangles. They don't seem to be very damage-resistant, as someone suggested... even short, they seem likely to have splits. I should probably try to be nicer to them.

Konstifik
December 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
It's just head pubes*.

:spitting:

Katze
December 3rd, 2009, 04:26 AM
me too. They sometimes even look like horsehairs, and feel almost like they are made out of plastic.

noelgirl
December 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
I get a few of these, even though the rest of my hair is much finer, and I'd always assumed that they were damage, but judging by the rest of the replies I guess not! I've found that they do seem to split and break more easily, though, so maybe mine are damage :confused:

Armelle
December 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
It's just head pubes*.

:rollin:That is indeed awesome.

I have them too. It's not damage, just genetics.

Peter
December 3rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
I've got a bunch of those. I think they're just remarkably coarse hairs.

SpinDance
December 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
It never occurred to me that these could be caused by damage, so that idea was new. However, I've always had a complete mix of hairs, from these thick, wiry randomly kinked "horse" hairs to baby fine downy ones. Straight, kinky, curly, it's all in there! Thus the puffy fuzzy mass as all those textures fight each other. Oh, and these thick, tough, ones are very likely to grow as long as the rest, as I regularly find during S&D missions.

GeoJ
December 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
I get those weird kinky hairs too! They always stick straight up on my crown, but mine are not a lot coarser (strand thickness wise) than the rest of my hair. They feel coarser because of all the odd bends in them. They do grow long like the rest of my hair, but they only stick up when they are new and too short to get pulled under the other hairs.

When I S&D, I do sometimes find splits on those odd hairs, but not as much as I do on my other hairs (especially the finer ones). I do have a small number of actual thick coarse hairs, they are very dark, fairly straight, and so far I have never found a split end on one of them.

:)

Dreams_in_Pink
December 3rd, 2009, 10:11 AM
heh, all my hairs are like that :D

My hair's always frizzy thanks to these freaks. I think they have something to do with heat damage. Water inside the hair shaft boils and applies pressure to the outer core, that could lead to some distortion on the strand.

I'm not sure though, but i HOPE with all my heart that it's because of heat and nothing permanent...

DarkChocolate
December 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have some hairs like that too:) I leave them alone when I do S&D.

blueroses79
December 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I really wish I'd asked this question a year ago, before I trimmed 1/4 of my hair... :oops:

Ven
December 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
I get those too and I have never dyed my hair.

zule
December 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
I have a variety of colors and textures on my head. The coarse ones are nearly black. The very fine ones are blonde. The medium ones are medium brown. My silver/grey (I call it silver because it sparkles) is either baby fine or very coarse, not in the middle.

My opinion is that it's just natural variation. I doubt mistreatment after it's dead will change its texture in quite that way. The only thing that makes it different all over one's head is how the shaft/follicle is shaped.

julliams
December 5th, 2009, 04:38 AM
I have those. My hair is full of totally different kinds of hairs. I have baby fine light hairs and very wirey dark red hairs. It's what gives my hair the strawberry blonde colour.

My 10 year old has straight hair but every now and then I find a hair that is like a corkscrew. It is really amazing. It's not wirey at all, just corkscrew like it was wound around a tiny stick - wierd.

Juliette

hmmm
December 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I have these too! I always thought it was damage as well, of a sort that only I got. I used to pull them out of my head when I found them, but I stopped doing that.

I love the 'head pubes' comment, lol.

Katze
December 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I think it's just genetics. People have been mixing genes forever, and I always think that that shows up on my head (and in things like eyebrows lighter than hair, oh joy). My dad has a mix of coarse and fine wavy black hair, my mom medium brown fine straight hair, but both had blonde parents and/or grandparents, some with coarse and some with fine hair. Mutts are we!

Bene
December 6th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I've got a buttload of those in the back of my head/ nape area. They feel totally different from the rest of my hair. I agree with everyone else. It's most likely just a different texture.

janice
April 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
I am currently obsessed with hairs like this. I find them mostly at the crown of my head, but I will be paying more attention to where I find them in the next coming weeks.

I still can't believe it but I used to wash my hair with only Pantene Contidioner. Horrible! After stopping this, I used clarifying shampoo a few times, and then switched to Water Only. It has been over half a year since. The good news is that most of the coarse hairs I find have started growing out smooth again. But I still come across some that seem to grow out rough.

BattahZ
April 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have a lot of these as well, and just assumed they were a byproduct of having curly hair - most of it is fine/medium, but lots of it is coarse as well. I guess everyone has them!

Agreed with what a few people said above, they don't seem to be at all damaged. In fact, when I've pulled them out and fiddled with them (bad, I know!), they seem to be stronger than the average hair that falls out of my head.

Juliannaissance
April 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
It's just head pubes*.

*All credit due to the fabulous Dianyla.Exactly!! Head pubes! It just looks like a normal wirey coarse hair. Nothing wrong with that! I get those once in a while.:)

sweet*things
April 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM
The few grays I have are coming in like that.

Debra83
April 2nd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I really have to start paying attention. I never found one of these yet, but I'm sure they must be lurking after reading all these posts!!!

LadyJennifer
April 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I get those occasionally, they're just coarse, wiry hairs.

LadyJennifer
April 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have a lot of these as well, and just assumed they were a byproduct of having curly hair - most of it is fine/medium, but lots of it is coarse as well. I guess everyone has them!

Agreed with what a few people said above, they don't seem to be at all damaged. In fact, when I've pulled them out and fiddled with them (bad, I know!), they seem to be stronger than the average hair that falls out of my head.

I always pull mine out, lol.

BattahZ
April 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
It's hard to resist, isn't it? :hifive:

Lassie
April 2nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
Im with the others - looks like really coarse hairs! NOt a sign of damage or ill health in any way

I am getting tons of those at the moment, having a huge growth spurt thanks to MSM and HF37 and have tons of these hairs growing at rapid pace......reminds me of what my hair was like as a young teenager before i started chemical and heat damage - so it reassures me that my hair is growing the way it should in its natural state

Lassie
April 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM

OMG so do i!!!!

My DF and mum and dad have all told my I have tri(cant remember the word) as i am forever stroking my hair looking for those and pulling them out....

It gets worse when i am stressed or under pressure. at times i have pulled bucket loads out....but have gotten much much better..

I am managing it ok..when im feeling realy stressed i wear a thick fabric headband to stop myself getting at my hair....

And im always telling myself that such thick course hairs will help add volume to my hair and thicken its appearance so i MUST NOT REMOVE THEM

Arctic
April 3rd, 2010, 02:02 AM
OMG so do i!!!!

My DF and mum and dad have all told my I have tri(cant remember the word) as i am forever stroking my hair looking for those and pulling them out....
---

Trichotillomania. I have it too. Please try to complitely stop, because it can develop to more serious if action is not taken. There are great trichotillomania support groups over the internet, I can recommend personally one at a site called Daily Strength.

julliams
April 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
Hey that looks like my head. I have some like that which are dark red and some that are baby fine and white blonde. It's what gives your hair it's texture, colour variations and depth. I used to be constantly feeling through my hair and pulling these out but there's no point. They grow back just like that and when they're short they stick straight up. Best to be long.

-j-
April 3rd, 2010, 03:02 AM
A have a couple of those in my head, too. They are very curly and coarse and look like african hair. They are also very dark, darker than my usual hair. I never pull them off, although they can look ridiculous when poking out and up! They are untameable!

Lassie
April 3rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
Trichotillomania. I have it too. Please try to complitely stop, because it can develop to more serious if action is not taken. There are great trichotillomania support groups over the internet, I can recommend personally one at a site called Daily Strength.

thanks arctic *hugs*
im reasonbly 'ok' but i certainly dont want it getting worse....i am often able to just 'touch and feel' but not pull out..I was very bad up till about 18 months ago, luckily no permanent damage, but pulling about 20+ hairs a day.
Willpower and the yearning for beautiful long hair has helped me keep in under control
its when i am under stress, or really sad that i cant help but yank aswell.
on a normal day i probably only pull 5 hairs
on a stressed / sad day its 10..

I will def check out that site..thanks again

janice
April 3rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
I never pull them out because I want to see if they will eventually start getting smooth again. Some of them have, so now I am trying to figure out why I got them in the first place. Also, for the ones that are now growing out smooth, I want to make sure they don't go back to being rough.

serious
April 3rd, 2010, 08:47 AM
I have these, too!
My hair used to be baby fine until my grays started to show up. They're all coarse, wiry and thick so I have two different types of hair on my head!

baobhan sith
April 3rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
I also have head-pubes! I thought they were damage, and was feeling up the length of the hair to find where the damage stopped, and then hit my scalp. They feel all rough and horrible, but I'm nice to my hair now! I think maybe they are just different, they're a bit darker quite often, and I find they're more susceptible to damage. But maybe the splits are just more visible on them because they're thicker.

Messyhair
April 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Oh!! I have these at my scalp and I tend to trim them off, too. I always assumed they were damaged hairs... I never realized they could just be coarse hairs. Now I feel much better about them. :)

ilovelonghair
April 3rd, 2010, 05:13 PM
Just a tip: don't pull those hairs out, they come back with a vengeance. I had a friend who kept on pulling them out till she got a whole patch of them. Once she stopped pulling them her hair went back to normal.

Cailie
April 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I've got them too (:
I go with coarse natural hair diversity rather than damage ... and admit that I actually like them as they just disappear among the others and stay so strong, never split ! :D
& kind of fun to touch too !