PDA

View Full Version : How to gracefully grow out a pixie?

mommat04
December 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I've recently gotten my hair chopped off. I'm not a fan of the pixie at all. The thing is, growing it out seems like I'm heading for mullet-ville! Have you pixie-growing-out-ladies waited until your at a mouth to chin length and then bob the whole thing or have you just let it grow and try to tie it up the best you can until it gets longer. I know with cutting to a short bob I'll be loosing inches but at the same time that seems a little more manageable than an icky mullet head!

imposterpockets
December 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
I have grown out from really short, and yes, the mullet factor is a real concern. I went several times to a women's hairstylist to get the mullet shaped off, and each time they went and cut hair from all over my head. I finally got someone to do what I wanted, but I had to spell it out pretty precisely.

I think hairstylists are accustom to dealing with hair that is not pampered, and therefore always needs to have all the ends trimmed quite high.

redwoman
December 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
If it were me, I would just let it grow mini-trimming the back until it was all caught up. That way your hair will be gaining length and losing the mullet. But thats just me.

Kris Dove
December 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I tied my mullet-y bit into bunches for a while, then a few months later got my hairdresser to cut some off and tidy it up a bit,, so the hemline was more even, and it resembled a more manageable shaggy bob.

Leena7
December 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
The first pixie I had I grew out by trimming it every few months so that it didn't turn into a mullet. I tended to trim the back mostly so that it ended up as a chin length bob. It actually didn't take all that long, about 5 or 6 months with all those trims to get to chin length.

The second pixie was short with chin length bangs, so it was a lot less awkward to grow out. The long bangs tended to hide the shortness of the sides and they blended in with the longer back. So far, I still have not trimmed this grown out pixie. I began to grow it out at the very end of April and currently, my hair is shoulder length.

My advice is this, if you really want to look polished and professional, keep trimming the part by your neck, but do not let anyone trim the sides or front or it will take forever to grow out.
However, if you want long hair ASAP, then stop cutting your hair. Wait as long as you can stand before getting your next haircut. It is surprising how fast hair actually does grow when it isn't being removed by trims all the time.

redneckprincess
December 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
i let mine grow for 9 months until I started chopping on it again..I didnt cut because of a mullet (honistly I dont remember having one..or it didnt bother me to bad.
i have pictures in my albums if you care to look...try 1st attempt then second

Maxs Mom
December 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I also grew out an almost pixie. It has taken me over 3.5 years but I now have BSl (when dry) and waist (when wet). Just get regular trims with a good stylist. I never had issues. Good luck!

squee
December 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
I got really lucky had found an awesome hair dresser who shaped it while it grew with cutting very little off. :)

I recommend trying to find a nice hair dresser. :D
Glad I did!

halo_tightens
December 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Oh no, the Mullet of Doom strikes again!! :(

Yeah, I think that eventually happens to everyone trying to grow out a pixie. It sucks!

The best way in my opinion is to just keep gradually trimming the back until the top and front catch up, as others have already suggested. It's a pain while it lasts, but it will end eventually!!

That awkward stage is what stops a lot of people, I think. They get sick of it and end up cutting it short again. But if you just hang in there... This too shall pass!!

Dars
December 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Little pony tails saved me (along with lots of benign neglect). They were cute when I grew my short hair out when I was 18.

spidermom
December 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
I got mine trimmed around the edges every 6-8 weeks. I went from short layers to longer layers and longer length and never got the mullet.

Xandergrammy
December 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I lived through the mullet experience. Actually, there were some stages where my hair looked worse than a mullet- very choppy and unattractive, but I stuck it out and used alot of gel and bobby pins.

Canarygirl
December 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I've got the mullet thing (a bit beyond shoulder in the back, not quite chin length in the front).

My hair grows so slowly (only about 1/4" - 1/3" per month on average) so I couldn't handle chopping off the back to match the front. I'll suffer with the uneven layers.

LawyerGirl
December 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I trimmed my super-short pixie pretty often and now wish I had just let it grow. :(

detritus
December 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
I trimmed my super-short pixie pretty often and now wish I had just let it grow. :(

Agreed. Once you get to ponytail length, it's smooth sailing. Trimming a pixie just delays that point for what seems like ages. The length between pixie and chin just looks rotten no matter what you do. I'd advise you to wear hats, headbands, barettes, etc, and just grin and bear it. Use gel or pomade to spike it up a bit so it looks like a shaggy bob more than a mullet. Maybe get a couple trims to take some excess length off the back, but don't aim for a perfectly blunt hemline.

CrisDee
December 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
From the sound of it, I'm right about where you are, and I'm opting for the cutting the back til the front catches up thing. The mullet was just too scraggly, and I'm required to look very conservative/traditional-professional at my job - didn't want to run afoul of the appearance standard police (not kidding) :p

Gladtobemom
December 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
My sister did a great job of growing out her Pixie.

She kept trimming at the top of her neck until things were evening up on the sides. Then she let it grow longer and wore clips or a sot headband. She has very straight hair and her bangs grow forward . . . she did finally go back to a thin bang.

Friesiangirl
December 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I don't really remember the mullet factor, but I had 2-6''-- more like a layered bob. Honestly, I found that headbands and bits of gel were my best friend. Good luck growing it out!

Hayley