PDA

View Full Version : Doing something about discrimination against long-haired men

Shastrix
December 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
This topic concerns the UK in particular, but those from other parts are welcome to contribute. :)

In the UK we have link removed where people can petition the Prime Minister/Government on various issues. An example of a link removed that got a response was one calling for an apology for the persecution and prosecution of Alan Turing. I am currently toying with the idea of creating a petition to modify employment law to prevent company dress codes from prohibiting long hair on men.

It seems surprising to me what employers can get away with in terms of their dress code. Whilst requirements for women to wear makeup or a skirt, or men to wear a tie only impinge on one’s freedom of expression in the work environment, limiting hair length or style affects the person when they are not working.

The case that always seems to pop up that supports the current situation and thwart any appeals is link removed and the link removed. The decision in this case was that prohibiting male ponytails did not constitute less favourable treatment of men because women were expected to adhere to the same, but different, standard of “conventional appearance” and that these conventions should be considered as a whole, not item by item (i.e. women have to wear skirts, but men have to wear ties).

I am not a lawyer but I think the best way to argue against this is simply to state that conventions change. In the 1970s it was ruled that making women wear skirts was not sexual discrimination; women now frequently wear trouser suits and I believe if someone challenged that ruling today they would win. Women also commonly wear their hair short, and men are more frequently wearing their hair long, so I think the same logic applies. I’m not only talking about men with waist length or longer, many common hair styles would fall foul of the outmoded “not below the collar” requirement some companies have in place. Whose place is it to then decide if “a little shaggy” is acceptable, but shoulder-length is out of the question?

I’m not au fait with legalese and I haven’t searched too deeply, but I’ve only come across one person, Mark Pell, who won an employment tribunal in 2000 when his interview was prematurely terminated when he replied “no” when asked if he’d cut off his 38 cm (15 inch) ponytail if he got the job.

The government is currently working on link removed that aims to consolidate many related acts and regulations (e.g. the Equal Pay Act 1970, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, and the Equality Act 2006) into a single simplified bill; now therefore seems a good time to raise the issue.

The point of this topic is to therefore ask for input from the LHC. Perhaps you are a lawyer, or have organised and submitted a petition before? Maybe you have experienced workplace discrimination or have ended up going to court? Or maybe you can contribute in other ways or have advice on how I can write a summary of the situation. :D

halo_tightens
December 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm not in the UK, and I'm not a lawyer, so I can't be of much practical help to you. I just wanted to tell you what a wonderful thing you're trying to do, in my opinion! This has gone on for far too long, and I'd love to see it come to an end (in the US and everywhere else as well!).

I wholeheartedly agree that there's a difference between mandating changes that only apply to working hours vs. those that limit a person's entire life. Example-- I had a much-beloved piercing when I started this job, and it has now closed because I've had to spend so much time with nothing to keep it open. Even during my non-working hours, I can no longer enjoy this piercing-- which I thought over carefully before installing myself more than ten years ago. Yes, this is a rather small and petty example, but the principle is the same.

I don't mind a bit if I need to conform to a specific dress code while at work; it's having to make changes that can't be undone that really burns me. I would LOVE to see the discrimination against long-haired males end, along with all the other arbitrary judgment calls on appearance.

I wish you the best in your efforts!!

Kuchen
December 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Point out the capriciousness of the definition of "respectable" and "normal" when it comes to hairstyles? I'm pretty sure there were periods when no gentleman would appear in public without a hat, or a wig, or profuse facial hair. Also, check out EU sex discrimination laws. If women can't be refused employment for having short hair, surely men can't be for having long hair.

Kris Dove
December 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
I totally support your cause and will happily sign and advertise your petition.
Also, check out EU sex discrimination laws. If women can't be refused employment for having short hair, surely men can't be for having long hair.There was a case in the UK quite a few years ago where a female waitress was sacked for having a buzz-cut, but I'm not sure what came of it.

I wholeheartedly agree that there's a difference between mandating changes that only apply to working hours vs. those that limit a person's entire life. Example-- I had a much-beloved piercing when I started this job, and it has now closed because I've had to spend so much time with nothing to keep it open. Even during my non-working hours, I can no longer enjoy this piercingThis has happened to me too. I tried wearing retainers in mine but they kept falling out. :(

Áine
December 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Shastrix, I think that's an excellent idea to create a petition. I suspect you'll get much encouragement from LHC.

Like Kuchen said, one of your best forms of defense and logical argument is to highlight the arbitrary rules that seemed to be enacted at the whims of managerial discretion... certainly the inconsistency in this alone is something worth exploring. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what is "proper". Unfortunately, select individuals who fall in certain groups tend to experience the enforcement of these arbitrary rules without being given clear reasons (other than the weak excuse of gender-specific expectations).

talecon
December 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I hate how people think the way someone wears their hair, if they got body modifications, and the way they dress will prevent them from doing their job well. its pure ignorance : /

Flaxen
December 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
The point of this topic is to therefore ask for input from the LHC.
It is something that would have to be done separately from The Long Hair Community. TLHC has a policy against all kinds of recruiting: fundraising, market research, petitions, vote-for-my-family-member/pet requests, and email campaigns. :flower: