PDA

View Full Version : To bang or not to bang...

Leena7
December 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hehe, sorry for the title, but I have a dilemma. I am growing out my hair from my second pixie and I am attempting to decide whether or not I want bangs once again. I have had them before when my hair was about this length, but I don't know which I like better. Here are some pics.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4171&pictureid=53599
and
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?u=24164&dateline=1256830547&type=profile
Those bangs in picture one aren't definitely what I would get again, but they give an idea of what my face looks like with bangs. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

theboredelf
December 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Personally, I hate bangs, I always have. But if you're questioning it, go no bangs, at least for now. I would invest in a good pair of synthetic clip-in bangs for special occasions if you like the look; I have friends that use them and rave about them. If you find yourself liking the bangs more than not, go ahead and cut.

Clarisse
December 2nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
You look beautiful in both pictures, but I like the second one the best. You look very cute in the first picture, but in my opinion, you look more beautiful in the second. You have a very pretty hairline :D Another thing to consider is, that you can always cut in bangs, but growing them out again will be a pain. I hope you like whatever you decide to do. That was my :twocents:

Leena7
December 2nd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks you two. I would also like to add, just for background, that in the first picture I could look younger because I was younger. I was only 15 there and I am 19 now, so 4 years can result in a lot of growth during adolescence.

bgarrison
December 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
One vote for bangs. :) I think they look adorable.

missjessiecakes
December 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Personally, I hate bangs, I always have. But if you're questioning it, go no bangs, at least for now. I would invest in a good pair of synthetic clip-in bangs for special occasions if you like the look; I have friends that use them and rave about them. If you find yourself liking the bangs more than not, go ahead and cut.

This. Well at least I hate blunt bangs I have a round face so blunt ones are a no no. However I do like the side swept ones and I am keeping those it adds shape to my face.

Tabitha
December 2nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
IMO you can carry off either look. The bangs look is cute and fresh, the non-bangs look more classic/grown-up.

I have bangs myself and although they're a bit of a PITA, I like the way they flatter my features. I do need to wash them between main hairwashes and blowdry them straight to stop them forming horns (as a 1C you may not need to do this unless you too are the proud owner of a cowlick :lol:), but it's easy to wash them under the tap at the bathroom basin and worth that small amount of extra hassle to me.

young&reckless
December 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Bangs make me nuts! But I like them on other people and yours are very nice.

I vote for bangs!

maskedrose
December 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
I vote for no bangs. Like someone else said, its a classically beautiful look.

melikai
December 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I think you look best without bangs. You have a lovely face, and the bangs just cover it.

spidermom
December 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I think the bangs brought a nice focus to your beautiful eyes.

Leena7
December 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Spidermom, that is the reason I am considering getting them once again. I like how they look with my eyes. Another reason is that currently, the bang area of my hair is the longest part of my hair because it was chin length when the rest of my hair was in a blonde pixie. Everything else is relatively healthy except those pieces because they were bleached and dyed multiple times and never got one trim. Its the only part of my hair with split ends. I thought this might get rid of that damage once and for all.

Honestwitness
December 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
You look beautiful both ways, so do what makes you happy.

I have bangs and probably always will. I don't like the way I look without them. I cut them myself and use a curling iron on them every day. It only takes an extra 5 minutes, which is worth it for how much better it makes me look.
I wash my hair every two or three days and never need to wash my bangs in between. I also use hair spray on them every day, but not on the length.

If you're going to have bangs, it makes it easier if:

1. You commit to them very long-term. That way you just accept whatever effort they take and you don't hate them every minute.

2. You learn how to cut them yourself, because you can snip and trim whenever you need to for no cost. I carry scissors in my purse at all times and I keep the ticklies off my eyebrows whenever necessary, instead of suffering. I have pics in one of my albums on how I cut my bangs, if you want any ideas.

Leena7
December 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you very much Honestwitness for your helpful comments. I love your hair, btw. I actually cannot wait to go gray or white. That will probably be sooner rather later going by all grays springing up in my part. I love the look of long, snowy hair. It is so pure looking!

MrsGuther
December 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
I think you look beautiful with or without the bangs, but I personally prefer your look better without them. You have such a pretty face, why cover it up with bangs?

Sheltie_Momma
December 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I like the bangs, sideswept ones would be the best of both worlds. You are beautiful!

Honestwitness
December 2nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the nice compliment, Leena7. The older we get the more meaningful the positive feedback is.

Unofficial_Rose
December 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Fnar! :rollin:

You look cute with the fringe (bangs) but beautiful without them, imo.

tiggens
December 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I heartily second the recommendation to buy yourself a set of clip-in bangs. I have been hemming and hawing about getting bangs for a while and my boyfriend bought me a pair of the Ken Paves bangs. I trimmed them up myself (although if you buy them at a beauty supply place they will usually trim them for you to your desired length) and they are so much fun! Growing out hair has made me bored of the style that I can't really change without cutting and the bangs definitely scratched the change-it-up itch I had. I wore them to my birthday party and everyone thought that i had really cut bangs in. Granted, they probably wouldn't look real under florescents or in broad daylight but I recommend picking up a pair (about $20 I think at beauty supply stores) and wearing them for a night out. I'm glad I did it because now I know that I don't really want to cut them in permanently but I enjoy having the option to wear them for a different look.

jivete
December 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
If you decide to get bangs, I'd go for long, side-swept ones. Personally, I wouldn't go for them, but that's because as I get older I find I need the bangs to hide my forehead wrinkles. Take advantage of your smooth forehead while you can. ;)

tiggens
December 2nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Also, to answer the question more directly...:)

I think you look great either way. You're have a lovely natural beauty. I guess it depends what kind of "look" you'd like to have. I love the look of blunt, above-the-eyebrow bangs and think with the right style they make a statement and look really unique, artsy, and sophisticated. They also might make you look like you're five years old so that's your call. If you're going for classically beautiful/classy I'd vote for no bangs. Side-bangs are usually very pretty and flattering but they don't really make a statement, if you know what I mean. Bangs at the eyebrow a la Anna Karina look great on natural beauties in a french-y sultry way and add a frame for pretty eyes.

So basically, consider your style, what you are going for in terms of "look" for yourself, and then go for it (or don't). ;)

Elenna
December 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
You can carry off either with or without bangs. You have the most amazing green or hazel eyes.

Leena7
December 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I am blushing from all the compliments. I have a while to think the whole thing over, so I suppose I will wait until the semester is over and I go home for the holidays before making any decisions.

Kris Dove
December 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Bangs are a PITA, and you look good without, so I'd vote for no bangs.

TyagoN
December 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
One more vote for the no bangs side here. Your eyes already draw attention to themselves and don't need the framing to help them out. Plus, you look more comfortable and natural without them.

Backliteyes
December 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
You really could do either, both look good. If you like your forehead/hair line then no need for bangs. If you prefer to have them to emphasize your eyes or cover up some portion of your forehead (like me), then go for it. Personally I like having bangs a lot, and because they get trimmed regularly I blow dry them into the shape that works best for me since I don't care if they suffer more damage than the rest of my hair. :p

P.S. You look like Claire Danes to me, nice facial features.

HeatherMae
December 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'm another vote for no bangs. Best of luck with whatever you decide!! :)

JessTheMess
December 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
I say no bangs. I think that they make your face look more "cute" whereas the lack of the bangs makes you look more mature and "beautiful" if that makes any sense.

JenniferNoel
December 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
I too vote for no bangs.
If you cut bangs and realize too soon that you're tired of them, don't like the way they look, etc, growing them out can be a real pain that's not worth it. I learned this the hard way, and trust me, it ain't fun! :p

CrisDee
December 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Personal opinion from one of the over-50 set - go no-bangs while you can, there will come a time in the aging process where most people almost have to have bangs to soften their look and cover wrinkles :?

Gladtobemom
December 2nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Do your bangs hang that well without any sort of help (like gel and blowdrying)?

If so . . . I think you could do either and be happy with long hair. It's tough when you bangs take extra attention and the rest of your hair is doing great on benign neglect when its longer.

Pear Martini
December 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
I think you look good both ways but the bangs are so cute! If I were you I would get bangs similar to the ones in your picture.

I want bangs but I have a small forehead so I dont think they would look good on me.

Luckysock
December 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I like the bangs - i think they make your eyes really pop (could also be the great picture ... but I think the bangs can take some credit too...) I'm growing my bangs out right now, just for a change - and its not as painful as I thought it would be just keep em thin, so it not so painful down the road when you feel like growing them out :D

Madame J
December 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
First of all, this thread is not nearly as exciting as I thought it would be.

Second, I vote for no bangs until you reach your goal length, and then re-evaluate. That way you won't end up hating them and having to deal with short hair AND growing out bangs. Also, your hair will frame your face differently when it's longer, and you'll want to look at that before deciding on bangs.

I'm kinda holding off on most major hair decisions until I reach goal, so that any decisions I make now won't affect my ability to reach goal.

09robiha
December 3rd, 2009, 02:43 AM
I like the bangs :), there nice one you and to be honest I have found having bangs (well a fringe is the name around here) very useful as it means i still have something to 'mess' with when I feel the urge and thre is still something the frame my face when I wear it up. Also you look rather cute either way and have lovley eyes.
However I would say think about it very carefully. There are always downsides. For example they take a good deal longer to grow out than the rest of your hair and at some point you will have to maintain to get them to the same length. Also, I dont know about others, but my fringe gets greasier far quicker than the rest of my hair, and since I have curly hair i have to blowdry.straighten them alouth they are regualrly trimmed so less damage.

BeatlesFanGirl
December 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
You are very pretty either way :) Still I'd vote for bangs. They look good on a lot of women. I also prefer my appearance with bangs (not blunt cut ones, but longer ones), still I've grown them out because I find it difficult to take care for, I have to put it away when I want to wash/make up my face, and my hair sticks at my forehead, especially when I wear a hat.

Gypsygirl
December 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
This is difficult... I am actually partial to bangs and really love mine...and I think yours look great on you, but your face is so beautiful... I think I would go for no bangs.
Wow... I can't believe I said that. ;)

deko
December 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM
You look very pretty with or without bangs.

I'm jus growing out my bangs. I really liked it, but the mantenance was too hard. You got to wash the bangs more often than rest of the hair. It's not diffficult and it doesn't take too much time, but you just have to do it. I grew tired of it and decided to grow my bangs out. If you think you could give them the extra time then go with it, if you don't = don't.

Fairlight63
December 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I had long bangs but cut them, thinking that I looked better with bangs.
But: What others has said is true, they are a pain to get to lay right.
Every time I turn around I have to cut them.
They BUG me tickling my face.
So I am in the process of growing them out again.

It all boils down to what ever you prefer. You look beautiful with or without bangs.