PDA

View Full Version : What's going on here? (Is my hair lacking moisture?)

amoulixes
December 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM
I received a comment the other day about my ends being dry. I felt them and looked at them and...they felt and looked great! That is, until I compared them with my roots. My hair has not been colored.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/tufefelli/photo.jpg

So...what's going on? Dry? Something else? Weird hair that just likes to change color? :confused:

MsBubbles
December 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM
Possibly sun lightening? I notice you're in Florida!

Dars
December 1st, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'd say it's from the sun as well. My ends compared to roots are the same.

manderly
December 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
That's completely natural. Roots are always the darkest, and the sun and other outside factors slowly bleach your hair naturally so your ends will always be a little lighter than your roots :)

Nothing is wrong. :flower:

Deemeeuh
December 1st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I'd agree with the sun theory...
Also, could it be your hair has gradually darkened as you got older? I've heard of that happening to women.. especially after pregnancy. You're so young though so I'm not sure if it would happen already.

amoulixes
December 1st, 2009, 08:34 PM
That's completely natural. Roots are always the darkest, and the sun and other outside factors slowly bleach your hair naturally so your ends will always be a little lighter than your roots :)

Nothing is wrong. :flower:

Just a little? :bigeyes: Well, that's three four votes for sun, so I feel much better seeing as I'm totally satisfied with my routine!

Thank you all :D

To Deemeeuh: Yes, my hair used to be significantly more red, but that was gone before age 10.

Tressie
December 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
The ends of my hair are usually lighter than my roots too, well except the gray ones. :D

It stands to reason that as our hair gets longer that the ends, which are farthest from the scalp oils, would tend to dry out more and the ends are the oldest and more porous too which may equal lighter.

So, oiling the ends is beneficial in every way! This color variation may not be as noticable on people with the darkest hair, and I think it's less noticable right after a wash when our scalp hair is lightest.

My random thoughts!!:)

klcqtee
December 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hair naturally changes colour due to sun exposure. You can tell really well with blondes often. I'm sure you've seen natural blondes that have mousy brown roots, but the rest of their hair is naturally blonde.

Your ends do seem a little bit dry, based on how much shinier your roots are compared to your ends. It could of course just be lighting, or your hair could be a little oily on top.

I'd say, if they feel fine and look fine (they look fine to me!), then chill and don't worry about it.

You also have a very pretty hair colour :flower:

Konstifik
December 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
I vote for the sun too. There are many factors in daily life that affects your shade a little. Lighter ends happens to almost everyone, at least that's what I've experienced and noticed. :)

redneckprincess
December 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Id say sunlight too...my son gets VERY blonde (almost white) hair in the summer, from playing outside all day..I noticed yesterday that he has a few inches of darker newgrowth such as someone who colored theirs would...

but I also wonder do you SMT? with honey? do you heat it?
because some people claim that un heated honey can lighten hair...though I havenot seen that to be true (yet?)

Clarisse
December 2nd, 2009, 06:01 AM
The color difference on my roots and my ends are bigger. I don't think you should worry about it. If you don't like the lighter color, you could perhaps try to use shampoo and/or conditioner with SPF in the summer. I like the effect, though. :D

amoulixes
December 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
The ends of my hair are usually lighter than my roots too, well except the gray ones. :D

It stands to reason that as our hair gets longer that the ends, which are farthest from the scalp oils, would tend to dry out more and the ends are the oldest and more porous too which may equal lighter.

So, oiling the ends is beneficial in every way! This color variation may not be as noticable on people with the darkest hair, and I think it's less noticable right after a wash when our scalp hair is lightest.

My random thoughts!!:)

Thanks :D I just started adding oils to my conditioner, then I will probably move on to a leave-in and heavy oiling.

Hair naturally changes colour due to sun exposure. You can tell really well with blondes often. I'm sure you've seen natural blondes that have mousy brown roots, but the rest of their hair is naturally blonde.

Your ends do seem a little bit dry, based on how much shinier your roots are compared to your ends. It could of course just be lighting, or your hair could be a little oily on top.

I'd say, if they feel fine and look fine (they look fine to me!), then chill and don't worry about it.

You also have a very pretty hair colour :flower:

You're right, they are a little dry, and the roots are pretty oily. This was right before my wash last night. My ends used to be almost YELLOW, if you can believe that. So now that they are darker, I'm hoping that means they are more moisturized. I didn't treat my hair kindly before coming to this site at all :oops: But I've managed to turn around some of that damage!

And thank you for the compliment :)

Id say sunlight too...my son gets VERY blonde (almost white) hair in the summer, from playing outside all day..I noticed yesterday that he has a few inches of darker newgrowth such as someone who colored theirs would...

but I also wonder do you SMT? with honey? do you heat it?
because some people claim that un heated honey can lighten hair...though I havenot seen that to be true (yet?)

Hehe...yes I do SMT, and funny enough, I don't heat the honey. Now, I've done SMT three times but I don't think that's what's linghtening my hair. Like I mentioned up there in the last response (within this response) they used to be more yellow. It would be wild if it worked that fast, but my understanding is it takes far longer to get that much lightening from honey.

The color difference on my roots and my ends are bigger. I don't think you should worry about it. If you don't like the lighter color, you could perhaps try to use shampoo and/or conditioner with SPF in the summer. I like the effect, though. :D

You know, I like the effect too. I'll just have to start correcting people that it's sun lightening and not dryness!

Thanks again everyone, especially bearing with me as I am completely hair-stupid!