PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon for henna smell

sibylla
December 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM
Well I´ve just hennaed my hair and added a table spoon of cinnamon to my blend. It work very well and the henna actually smells nice. Maybe the 2 table spoons of honney added to the smell.

CrisDee
December 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
I use cinnamon, cloves and ginger when I henna to cut the smell. When I first used the henna, its smell almost made me nauseated - adding the spices, I've found it to be fairly pleasant :-)

sibylla
December 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
I agree!It was pleasant. My BF will apreciate it I think. I´m used to the henna smell but I looove cinnamon.

theshebear
December 7th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I use about a Tablespoon of cloves to 100 grams in mine to make it smell good. I'll have to try cinnamon for a change.

Silver
December 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Is it true that cinnamon could irritate the scalp?
anyway, I added cinnamon to my henna-mixture and it didn't change anything, same bad smell as without cinnamon...maybe it wasn't enough?

Bereft
December 8th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice to my henna mix. Now, I dont have the wet-henna-hair-smell when I get out of the shower, I smell like the holidays!:D

jel
December 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Is it true that cinnamon could irritate the scalp?

It's cinnamon essential oil that is very strong and could easily irritate the scalp. Plain ground cinnamon is not likely to cause irritation, I believe, though as they say YMMV!

Personally, I like the scent of henna on its own... :D

RocketDog
December 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Cinnamon can and will irritate my scalp, although I found that a tablespoon or so mixed in with henna didn't seem to bother me. Used in a honey treatment it left burn-like welts on my face wherever the mixture dripped. If you don't know how your skin will react, please patch test!

I have used cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to scent my henna, but I want to try lavender oil next time just to see how it goes.

lillylonghair
December 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I always use a ton of cloves! My dh dispises the smell of henna but the cloves make it so nice. My hair even smells like it for about a week afterwards.

nowxisxforever
December 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I add hella cloves to mine, it completely overpowers the smell of the henna--- I love it!!! I henna my hair sometimes just for the smell... :)

sibylla
December 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I used normal cinnamon and I forgot to mention that my hennamix also has shikakai in it,which sweatens the smell.

CorinaS
November 14th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Is it ok to use cinnamon oil, if I test and I'm not allergic to it? Does is do anything to the hair?

Cecalv
November 14th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I like the smell of henna it reminds me of nettle tea and dried hay so I'm pretty much thrown back to my childhood my the smell. In the mix I add chamomile tea, a dash of cinnamon and a dash of cardamom which to me makes it smell all christmas and natural. Love it! :D My boyfriend just thinks it smells like tea xD

CorinaS
November 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I like the smell of henna it reminds me of nettle tea and dried hay so I'm pretty much thrown back to my childhood my the smell. In the mix I add chamomile tea, a dash of cinnamon and a dash of cardamom which to me makes it smell all christmas and natural. Love it! :D My boyfriend just thinks it smells like tea xD

You're lucky! I really hate the smell! But I want to try cinnamon essential oil, not pure cinnamon. Any opinions on that?

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Aw! I love the henna smell all by itself!

young&reckless
November 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Be careful with cinnamin, it can lighten your hair color.

Anje
November 14th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Sounds like it would smell good. All the same, I'll add to the warnings that it can be potentially lightening to hair, and some people have found cinnamon powder irritating (I suspect they have access to rather potent stuff, though).

CorinaS, I would expect cinnamon oil to start to feel "burn-y" after a while. It's also known to be sensitizing, so I personally wouldn't even mess around with the stuff.

CorinaS
November 14th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Aw! I love the henna smell all by itself!

I really don't understand! It almost made me throw up. But I don't know what to add to it. I don't like the smell of rosemary, tea tree, mint, lavender either. I only like sweet, spicy or flowery smells.

Be careful with cinnamin, it can lighten your hair color.

Then it's a definite no. Thanks!

Sounds like it would smell good. All the same, I'll add to the warnings that it can be potentially lightening to hair, and some people have found cinnamon powder irritating (I suspect they have access to rather potent stuff, though).

CorinaS, I would expect cinnamon oil to start to feel "burn-y" after a while. It's also known to be sensitizing, so I personally wouldn't even mess around with the stuff.

Thanks for the tip! Everything I've been reading on the Internet says only great things about cinnamon, but I guess they're just trying to sell the product.

I'll check out the forum for tips on how to change the smell of henna.

Anje
November 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'll check out the forum for tips on how to change the smell of henna.
Henna for Hair has some suggestions on spices (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/gingerspice/index.html) to add to cut the smell of henna, for those who hate it. Ginger seems to be the most important one.

CorinaS
November 14th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Henna for Hair has some suggestions on spices (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/gingerspice/index.html) to add to cut the smell of henna, for those who hate it. Ginger seems to be the most important one.

I don't cook, so I have no idea what these things smell like and I'm also really picky with scents (as with anything else). I have some pomegranate extract which smelles divine!!! Could I use it without doing anything to my hair?

MJheals
November 14th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Oh, yep, I do this too! I add quite a bit of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg to my mix. It makes me smell like a pumpkin pie until wash day!