PDA

View Full Version : Henna on jet black hair

frizzalot
December 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone ^^

Has anyone with jet black hair done this and still kept their natural hair colour(no highlights)? If I add lemon juice will this 'bleach' my hair? I've read lemon juice is what most use to make the mixture.

I want to try henna-ing for the conditioning/strengthening effects, just a bit teeny tiny worried about getting orange patches in my hair. :confused:

Akiko
December 1st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Welcome to LHC.

I have done henna over my black hair. It gave me red highlights. Not visible indoors. But outdoors, my hair glowed in reddish orange. Henna never lightens hair color. But for me, it gave an illusion of lightening. I don't think you get orange patches, though.

I don't use henna anymore. The smell was a big turn-off.

I don't know about lemon juice. I tried to bleach my hair (shudder) when I was a teenager. But it never worked.

halo_tightens
December 1st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hello. :)

If your hair is black and you henna it, you won't get "orange patches" in it. You will probably have an overall henna glow, which may show up as orange shimmer in sunlight or bright lighting. There's no reason for the result to be patchy, unless you already have patches of hair that are different in color or damage level.

There's also no need to use lemon juice if you don't want to. Some people find it very drying to the hair. Many of us here use plain water or tea instead, with excellent results.

Poke around in the henna threads! There's so much information there, and all of it from personal experience.

frizzalot
December 1st, 2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for your replies, most of the henna threads show pictures of brunettes and blondes, so i wasn't sure of what result i would get. I most likely will try it, maybe with chamomile tea.

I read a few articles saying lemon juice would give best results, thats why i was going to use it.

I don't think my hair is too damaged, i have straightened it about eight times in the last two years and use a blow dryer infrequently. The ends are very dry but no split ends (that i can see... ). I guess if the ends do change colour then i will/should have to cut them off... I hope they don't! My hair is only now starting to look like its got length(2~3inches below BSL) .

halo_tightens
December 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
One place that (I think) has some pics of henna over black hair is the hennaforhair.com website, in the free e-book there.

But again, this e-book also insists that lemon juice is THE way. I don't know why that's so widespread as the best way, because I've seen SO many beautiful hennaheads here who use only water or tea. Heck, I henna all the time, and I've only ever used plain water-- with great results.

I actually advise people against using straight lemon juice if I'm asked. A splash or two in with the water, sure, no problem. I just think it's too harsh to use straight.

young&reckless
December 1st, 2009, 08:01 PM
You hair will be red in the sunlight! Check out cassia first if wont add any color to dark hair and the smell is not as strong or as lasting.:poot:

I love the smell of henna! :cheese:

Pierre
December 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hello and welcome!

I mix amla, which is acidic, with henna and then add water. Then I squirt it into my hair. Works great.

I'm not jet black, more propeller brown. I love how my hennaed hair feels. :heartbeat

hmmm
December 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
My hair isn't jet black, it's dark brown in direct light or in the sun. But it's pretty black in any light that isn't extremely strong, and I've henna'd several times so far. I've lost count lol... I don't have any red/orange patches, but I do have this highlighted piece of hair that looks redder than the rest of my hair... and a red glow when there's a light behind my head, or if I'm in the sun.

loyaboya
December 2nd, 2009, 03:37 PM
My hair is nearly black and I've been using henna monthly. I've never used lemon juice, always chamomile tea. It works great, you just have to keep in mind that you're gonna have quick dye release (so dont' let it sit overnight).

My hair color looks... softer somehow. You can't see any red indoors but there is a sort of glow in sunlight (or when my hair is backlit). Only I seem to be able to notice it though... :)

Enjoy your henna!

sapphire-o
December 3rd, 2009, 02:11 AM
I've done some tests on my shed hair before. Didn't see much difference at all. My hair's very dark brown with red highlights naturally and the henna didn't change it much. So I decided not to do it. Plus my natural red color is kinda burgundy red, I kinda like it better than orange color.