PDA

View Full Version : Henna gloss - minimum amount for conditioning?

maskedrose
December 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
I've noticed a lot of gloss threads lately...sorry to add one more. Perhaps we should start an official henna gloss thread.

Anyway, over the last couple of years I've thought a lot about doing a gloss, but have never gotten around to doing strand tests to see just how red I would get. As my virgin parts get longer, I'm starting to realize that I'm much more of a strawberry blonde than I thought. Which has made me consider henna glosses more seriously.

So, my question is...how little henna can I put in my gloss while still getting the conditioning effects? Normal glosses have 2-3 tbs, so would 1 be enough? I've been collecting shed hairs for strand tests and I'm excited to see what happens :D

tangocurl
December 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM
So, my question is...how little henna can I put in my gloss while still getting the conditioning effects? Normal glosses have 2-3 tbs, so would 1 be enough? I've been collecting shed hairs for strand tests and I'm excited to see what happens :D

My natural hair color is darker than yours. Over two years ago I did some henna glosses. I used about a tablespoon of the mud in about 1/2 cup conditioner (Suave). I think I left it on about 45 minutes. ETA: I could not fit all of the mixture on my head, so some amount less than 1T was actually on my hair.

I got a lot of strengthening effects from this amount of henna, however, I believe this would be way too much red-orange pigment on hair as light as yours. ETA: my hair was reeeeally copper in the sun for about a year after that. I didn't have a noticeable root line indoors, however, my natural hair has some orange hues in it.

I've heard some people say that the main conditioning benefit of a henna gloss is having the conditioner on your head for a long time. I know that I did get some permanent strengthening benefit from the henna component, however, I don't know if using a lot less henna (enough less to get the color you want) would be as strengthening.

I hope this helps :flower:

lucys
December 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
My hair is much darker, and I've only done one gloss, so can't be of much help.

For what it might be worth, for my relatively short hair I used 1TB of henna in with the conditioner. I got a nice subtle warming, although it has already toned down somewhat.

My (slightly obvious) guess is that the conditioning effect drops as you use less henna, but that any henna will give some conditioning, especially if the gloss is done semi regularly. Plus you'd get a moisture boost from leaving the gloss on for an hour or so.

I also have to say that that is one gorgeous head of hair you have...

florenonite
December 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Quite a few people use just 1 T in their glosses (I believe jojo was one of them), and I imagine this provides the conditioning benefits. Shell uses (used?) just one teaspoon in order to have minimal colour change but the conditioning benefits.

Clarisse
December 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Cassia has some of the same benefits that henna has - but without the red :)

maskedrose
December 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
lucys - thank you! :flower:

Hmmm, well I think I'll see if I can get a sample and play around with hairballs. I really don't want much color change - I think my hair has gotten lighter over the last few years and I while I do have a lot of red, its more of an auburn thats mingled through my underlayer. I'd really love the strengthening and conditioning benefits of henna, but....

Oh, and cassia doesn't really work that well for me and turns my hair into a very bright yellow.

maskedrose
December 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Okay, one more question - could I do a gloss with henna without waiting for the dye release and still get the strengthening/conditioning benefits?

florenonite
December 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Okay, one more question - could I do a gloss with henna without waiting for the dye release and still get the strengthening/conditioning benefits?

No. The lawsone chemical which causes colour is also what provides conditioning. That said, there are people here who do henna glosses without waiting for dye release because the time spent on the head in the warmth of the body is enough for dye release. YMMV.