PDA

View Full Version : thick bulky ends

Sydney
December 1st, 2009, 06:27 AM
hi everyone, i haven't been on here for a while as i had my waist length hair cut to bsl in january (which i always end up doing when i get fed up!).

anyway, my hair is so thick that i usually have layers cut into it but in january, i had my hair all cut one length to the shortest layer. anyway, im back at waist again now and i love the one length look but because my hair is so thick it looked horrible and bulky at the ends so my hairdresser thinned the ends out with thinning scissors and it looks and feels so much better, lighter, it falls better and has more body. you would never tell it has been thinned by looking at it, it all looks one length.

I know many of you aim for thick ends but does anyone else have the opposite problem like me??!

rhubarbarin
December 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM
No. I would do a lot to have this 'problem'! ;)

I'm glad you are happier with your hair now. It's nice to have a hairdresser you can count on.

JamieLeigh
December 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
I don't have that problem (though I'd love to try it out once, lol! ;)), but I'm really glad you've found a way to be happy with your hair. :flower:

turtlelover
December 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
My hair has this problem. I have to have TONS of layering to have it above shoulder length and looking decent, and still need layers at the ends to help it when it is long. However, I will NOT let anyone NEAR me w/ thinning scissors.....they really, really scare me! I just ask for graduated layers at the ends, and that works well. I have a phobia of little shorter hairs sticking out everywhere if someone tried to "thin" my hair.

Teakafrog
December 1st, 2009, 08:29 AM
Yep. I don't 'thin' it, but I do have layers cut into the last few inches or it's a horrible poofball. My hair is just too thick to leave blunt at this length (or any length, I guess--I've almost always had layers).

Everyone's hair is different, and you have to figure out what works for YOU and then ignore people with different hairtypes who swear that what works for them will work for everyone.

getoffmyskittle
December 1st, 2009, 08:36 AM
I used to have that "problem." It seems to go away naturally as the hair gets longer... ;)

jivete
December 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
I wish I had that problem. Instead, I spend most of my time trying to thicken up my hem. Consider youself lucky. It's easier to cut layers or thin the ends than it is to add more hair.

basak
December 1st, 2009, 08:42 AM
I have this problem and at more than 40 inches, I got fed up and got some layers. I went shorter as well, but no matter how long I go I always favor thinned out ends over blunt ends. :)

Xandergrammy
December 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
One of the reasons I don't cut back to my virgin hair is that my hemline would be too blunt and my hair would be bushy. One of the things that I love about having long hair is that it does get more manageable the longer it gets.

spidermom
December 1st, 2009, 08:50 AM
At waist length, yes, and I was thinking that I wouldn't like it longer because it would look like a cape with that wide, thick hem. My hair is thinning itself out as it gets longer, though. I've got quite a bit of taper now, even though I still get it trimmed. I like it better this way.

Sheltie_Momma
December 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
I sympathize. Everytime I read up-do instructions that say "Wind the remaining tail around the base" I sigh because my ends don't wind they are thick and bushy and sproing out. I have some layers about 2 inches up the length, I'm growing to hip and then will decide what to do then.

Isblå
December 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
My hair is actually like this, since it is both thick and wurly, the ends look weird if they are cut to blunt. I think this is the cause that I had my hairdresser cut in a lot of layers at my last visit - aug 08. Now I am trying to grow the layers out, but I will keep the last few inches thinned or layered.

Roseate
December 1st, 2009, 11:58 AM
Yup, I'm in the same boat. I keep layers in the last couple inches of my hair; makes it easier to put up and looks better down. Otherwise, I'm a blunt bushy pyramid!

Hiriel
December 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Sort of. My hemline is blunt, straight and thick, and while I think it looks OK, it makes many buns really, really difficult, as the ends refuse to do anything but stick out in 5 different directions... But I'm between BSL and waist now, I want my hair longer than that, so I guess I have some time to get some more taper.

manderly
December 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
I used to have this problem.....before I realized how curly I am.

I would come home from a haircut at the salon (refreshing layers), and my hair would look LONGER because the ends were no longer causing a mush of problems.

Wicked Princess
December 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
I had this problem when my hair was around waist length! It was all one length and driving me nuts! Once it had reached the top of my hips, I had long layers cut into it - the shortest layer ending at BSL. This was back in January (2009), a couple days before I joined LHC!

Now, I intent to grow out a few of those layers to thicken my braids, but now that I am nearing classic, I'm also hoping that my hair will taper some to form natural layers that I can "grow into" because I like the look and some minor thickness variation!

RavennaNight
December 2nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
I had this problem from chin to APL. My hair just seemed bulky at those lengths. Helmet head. I recently found some old pics from 07 when my hair was just past shoulder. My hair was huge! I used to flatiron it but it was very bulky looking and helmet-ey, probably because it was very dry from the products/ironing.