PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel this way when someone cuts their hair?

Fairlight63
November 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I went to church yesterday & this girl that used to have long hair down to her waist came in & she had got it cut really short. She used to have the MOST beautiful long blonde hair, she was a inspiration to me, but not any more, now she is just another short hair.
Does anyone else get disappointed when some one with long hair cuts their hair off? or is it just me. I don't know, I felt kind of sad or something.
Well, I hope that she is happy with her hair cut & does not regret it.

halo_tightens
November 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I get mixed feelings. I do mourn the loss of any beautiful head of hair, it's true... It seems such a waste.

And then I make myself feel all better again by realizing that now there is one more person in the world who I "beat" in length. Is that petty? Lol... It kind of feels like it. But each person I "overtake" in length is a tiny selfish victory for me.

*hides face behind hair in just a tiny bit of shame*

*not too much shame though*

shockinglength
November 30th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ha ha I feel the same way as halo tightens!!!

jasper
November 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I probably feel differently about it after reading these boards for a few months.
I was reading a friend's blog today about her new hair cut- she got all her length cut off into an inverted bob thing. She cheerfully wrote " I don't think I will ever go long again, lol." and it was so strange to read that!

I kind of felt a pang about it, but at the same time, I don't think it makes sense to feel that way. It's her hair and she's happy.

Fairlight63
November 30th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, I must admit that that thought goes through my mind also, haha

*Lyric
November 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
YES, when it is long and beautiful sometimes I just ask myself "why??" But there are some people who cut their hair short and it actually looks better on them, and in that case I'm happy for them. In my opinion though there is such a thing as too short for anyone, but to each their own.

CrisDee
November 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I do know what you mean, I have felt that. For me, it's sort of a loss of a spot of beauty in the world. As nice as a short cut may be, there's something about the beauty of very long hair that touches the soul in a way short hair can't, and somehow it's like "paving paradise to put up a parking lot." Silly, maybe, but that's how it seems to me.

Curlsgirl
November 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
YES I definitely know what you mean. Though a couple of the girls I work with cut their hair about a year ago and I was secretly happy thinking that finally I have the longest hair there :o. One had gorgeous TB length hair though and it was a bit sad too.

Quixii
November 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah. I always get sad. It kind of goes twice - I'm sad because their beautiful long hair is gone, and sad because I'm set further apart. Half the time when someone gets a hair cut someone else turns to me and asks whether I'd cut it too. >.< One of my closest friends is thinking of cutting her waist/hip length hair short, and I just can't picture it. I think long hair suits her, I like that we have that bond, and the hair she has is so pretty. I'd be really sad if she cut it. :(

dragonfrog
December 1st, 2009, 12:15 AM
Yes, it does make me kind of sad, because I love looking at other people's lovely long hair.

I had classes with a girl last semester who had gorgeous, wavy, dark brown hair about waist or TB length. I loved her waves, and I admired her dark brown color, which in turn made me happier with my own naturally dark brown hair (I don't admire it on myself, but when I admire it on other people I think maybe mine isn't so bad). I just saw her a couple weeks ago for the first time this semester, and she had cut off her hair into a pixie. I was disappointed, I did not find her color or texture nearly as striking in the shorter haircut, and I also thought she blended in to the background much more than she had before.

lizzyjo
December 1st, 2009, 12:21 AM
I know two girls who, within a few months of each other, cut their hair from waist or TB length to above the shoulder.

I thought about this for a couple minutes, and I mostly feel sad that they didn't appreciate their hair when it was long. I'm also sad because one of the girls' hair was SOOO beautiful that I hated to see it short.

Alun
December 1st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Sad. Dissapointed. Yes, all of that. I don't feel atall guilty either. If I told them their hair looked horrible because they cut it, that might be different, but I keep it to myself, and how I feel is how I feel.

Juneii
December 1st, 2009, 12:30 AM
No, it's their hair and if they choose to cut it short and are happy with it why should I be sad?

Roseate
December 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM
I only feel sad if it looks bad short, or if they regret it.

Sometimes, I feel a little jealous of people with cute short haircuts- my thick wurly hair does not look good in most short cuts, but I like them on other people!

kimi
December 1st, 2009, 01:04 AM
The only person I've ever known with super-long hair - almost knee-length - ended up cutting it to shoulder-length. This was after she had been active-duty military for a few months, which meant her hair always had to be above her uniform collar. She explained to everyone - cause of course her hair was definitely a conversational item at work - that it was a lot of work to take care of it on that level. I understood completely, but remember thinking at the time that it must have been like cutting off a limb. Hair becomes sort of an entity to those who really care for and commit to keeping it long and strong.

Ninika
December 1st, 2009, 01:24 AM
I have noticed that I seem to view longhairs as kind of special people, going against the flow of what is considered the norm. When someone cuts his or her long hair they give up their specialness and from one second to the next, become quite ordinary, looking like anyone else. What makes me a bit sad is that they don't seem to realize this.

That being said, no one is here to decorate my world ;). As long as this person is happy with changes about his or her own appearance, that should be good enough for me. Of course it isn't, but I'd never voice my opinion to someone who is feeling good about himself after a "liberating" haircut, KWIM?

ETA: And yes, I do feel disappointed to see such a waste. And I just thought of something else: A person who went in for a drastic cut will sometimes (intentionally or unintentionally) criticize other people who choose to keep their hair long. Maybe to justify their decision? I know I'm am a bit over-sensitive, but sometimes I feel bad when someone cuts their hair because to me, it feels like the person were criticizing MY long hair, and I take it personally. That's quite silly, I guess, but the gut feeling is still there :o.

prittykitty
December 1st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Yes, I get very disappointed when I see someone with very long hair, chop it all off to a very short length, especially when there are people like me who have curly, frizzy types of hair that doesn't seem to ever grow to that length. I once knew a lady who lived across the street from me when I was a teenager. She had very long dark hair to her waist. One day she went and got it all cut to a very short length, kind of like the wedge that was in style for older women in the 80's. This woman even complained to her kids that they didn't cut her hair short enough! I was kind of in shock. My mother told me that when women start to get a little older, sometimes they cut their hair to look younger. I never could see this reasoning. I thought the woman looked much younger before she got the chop job. By the way the woman was only in her very early 30's.

PhillyGirl1978@
December 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM
I get mixed feelings. I do mourn the loss of any beautiful head of hair, it's true... It seems such a waste.

And then I make myself feel all better again by realizing that now there is one more person in the world who I "beat" in length. Is that petty? Lol... It kind of feels like it. But each person I "overtake" in length is a tiny selfish victory for me.

*hides face behind hair in just a tiny bit of shame*

*not too much shame though*

Too FUNNY!!! I am kinda the same way! Long hair stands out beings so few people really have long hair. I had a guy who heard me say I wasn't going short and he said, "wow a women past 30 who doesn't plan on chopping it" he was pleasantly surprised. If anything I am usually 1 of two or 3 in the place with long, real, hair so when someone cuts, it kinda means more attention for me!lol Bad...I know!!

apynip
December 1st, 2009, 06:03 AM
if its a friend i might though i know they like it.

one thing i've noticed though is now that i'm on the board i dont notice the less dramatic cuts like 2-3 inches? A friend got a pixie in the back and not the front and i was like O.o you did? oh.. yea.

but for my friend sarah her's was waist and she got it cut to apl i was extrealmy shocked cause i know she loves her hair but hey she likes it.

Armelle
December 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah. My 'hair hero' when I was a kid cut her hip length hair off into a really short 'soccer mom about to be a grandma' hairdo. I was VERY much let down.

Marions
December 1st, 2009, 06:47 AM
No, because I don't think short hair is inferior or ugly. I don't care what other people look like and I wish they didn't take my decisions about hair and appearance personally - not enough to feel sad, disappointed or shocked. I also find it offensive when people think they know what suits you better than you do, that what suits you is an objective fact so you're not reasonable if you wear something else.

(My relatives tell me all the time they don't approve of my weight, hair, skin, nails, henna tattoos and make-up, so this is a sensitive topic for me, but I didn't want to sound angry or offend anyone. I'm not sure how it sounds in English.)

Bev1976
December 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM
I had my hair cut a year ago. It was down to my waist and I was getting fed up with it so went and had a lot chopped off.
As soon as it was done, I really regretted it! Luckily my hair grows quite quickly and is currently half way down my back and growing. I think it will take me a lot to have it cut again!

JamieLeigh
December 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
I too feel a little sadness when someone with amazing long hair cuts, kind of like I'd feel I guess if someone pulled up flowers from a flowerbed I'd been admiring, and planted shrubs instead. Yeah, they're not here to decorate my world, but I like it when they do! :p But at the end of the day, it's down to what makes them happy and it's their choice. And like you, I hope they are happy with what they chose, even if it's not the step I'd take for myself. :o

JamieLeigh
December 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
No, because I don't think short hair is inferior or ugly. I don't care what other people look like and I wish they didn't take my decisions about hair and appearance personally - not enough to feel sad, disappointed or shocked. I also find it offensive when people think they know what suits you better than you do, that what suits you is an objective fact so you're not reasonable if you wear something else.

(My relatives tell me all the time they don't approve of my weight, hair, skin, nails, henna tattoos and make-up, so this is a sensitive topic for me, but I didn't want to sound angry or offend anyone. I'm not sure how it sounds in English.)

I don't see anything offensive about what you've posted. This is perfectly sensible, and very true. :flower: It's no one else's business what you do, in the same way that it's not your business what someone else does. I'd be lying if I said it didn't give me a small pang of sadness when someone drastically changes the feature I admired most about them, but as I said in my earlier post, it's not up to me and they're not here to decorate my world, although I like having my world decorated. But everything is up to the individual, and it's not up to us to decide what looks good on everyone else, unless the person asks us. :)

turtlelover
December 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM
For me, it depends on the hair. I'm not always in the "longer is better" mindset.....I think a good percentage of people actually *gasp* look better in shorter hair. However, if someone w/ really thick, healthy hair that really flatters them chops it off, it definitely could make me sad.

getoffmyskittle
December 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hm... usually I don't get sad (cause I don't really care that much :p), but my best friend has the most beautiful honey blonde hair - it's really like spun gold - and she was growing it out to waist, and was almost there, but then she found like two split ends so last week she cut it to APL because she's never had a split end in her life and "wanted it to be healthy again." I was sad because it was so pretty and she let me braid it sometimes. :p

But she really loves the cut, so I just smiled and told her that it makes her look older (which is not an insult when you're 20 and look 16). :shrug:

pinchbeck
December 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
Yeah. I always get sad. It kind of goes twice - I'm sad because their beautiful long hair is gone, and sad because I'm set further apart. Half the time when someone gets a hair cut someone else turns to me and asks whether I'd cut it too. >.< One of my closest friends is thinking of cutting her waist/hip length hair short, and I just can't picture it. I think long hair suits her, I like that we have that bond, and the hair she has is so pretty. I'd be really sad if she cut it. :(
Have you talked with your friend about how beautiful her hair is? I think sometimes people cut their hair because they're going through some phase. This phase sometimes passes and the person may look back and understand that cutting their hair isn't really what they wanted to do. Please encourage her to keep her hair long.

Carolyn
December 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
I'm sad in that I won't get to see their long hair anymore. A thing of beauty is gone for me. I love seeing long hair on other people. IMO there is not enough long hair in the world. I'm only in charge of my own hair and no one elses. If the person wants to cut it's really none of my business. But I reserve the right to be silently sad and disappointed that said hair is gone.

If they happen to ask my opinion I'd likely discourage them from doing it. I'd never encourage a drastic cut. I'd maybe say take a baby step and see what you think. So many people seem to think that if you have long hair and want a change it's got to be hacked off above the shoulders or even to a pixie. I don't understand that. But in the end it's not my hair and I don't feel right saying much. However I don't compliment a drastic new cut.

Fethenwen
December 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
I too feel a little sadness when someone with amazing long hair cuts, kind of like I'd feel I guess if someone pulled up flowers from a flowerbed I'd been admiring, and planted shrubs instead. Yeah, they're not here to decorate my world, but I like it when they do! :p But at the end of the day, it's down to what makes them happy and it's their choice. And like you, I hope they are happy with what they chose, even if it's not the step I'd take for myself. :o
Hahah, what a great way to describe it :p I feel like this sometimes too. But of course some people look really great with short hair.
I get most upset if someone chops their hair off just because they think it is more "in" or something, I never find that to be a good reason to chop off lovely long hair.

LKayL
December 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
I feel the same way as all of you! I feel as though they look just like everyone else, and plain somewhat, rather than having their own unique beauty and style.
I also wonder how they can cut long hair off when I put so much effort into growing mine!

Tressie
December 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I suppose I do feel a little sad to see anyone with long beautiful hair cut if off! That said, it's their hair and I know it's their call.............but yeah, I know what you are saying! (o:

Laululintu
December 1st, 2009, 02:52 PM
I only feel sad if it looks bad short, or if they regret it.

Agreed. Then again, I feel the same if a person I know changes hairstyles and ends up going for a less flattering look without a drastic change in length :shrug:

enfys
December 1st, 2009, 03:16 PM
I feel sad for anyone who gets a haircut that doesn't suit them. Or if a person with long hair I admired cut it. The vast majority of the time the former happens. People who cut their long hair that I've known haven't looked after it or it was massively bleached and split generally.

I've also known people who have said they're growing their hair and then lost all their uniqueness and coolness to their style.

Different strokes for different folks.

But I like it when I'm winning.

starlights
December 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
yep its so disappointing when someone will long locks cuts it to "fit in" with the norm. Its terrible and sadly makes them less attractive. In our culture there is a saying the womans beauty is in the hair. Luther said the same thing. ha!

theboredelf
December 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Above all else, it makes me feel awkward, because it inevitably leads to a conversation about my own hair, when my last haircut was, my feelings about hair...

When it's someone close to me, it does make me sad, because I like to think that my opinions on hair would rub off after so long. I get really annoyed, almost angry, when someone cuts their hair for a stupid reason. (And I count "I wanted to look more professional.") It's just very... jarring to me when someone DRASTICALLY cuts their hair. (Like from waist-length to a pixie in one salon trip.) I want to walk up to them and ask them what's wrong.

Oh, but it does make me feel very satisfied when my friends secretly complain to me that they hate having their hair short, or really regret cutting their hair. I just pour them a stiff drink and tell them it will grow back. But, of course, 3 months later, they're crying on the phone... Maybe not cutting your hair is a good indicator of one's emotional/mental well-being...

windinherhair
December 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
It can be disappointing to see someone with long beautiful hair cut it all off. But I have to think to myself that if that is what they want, then let them do it. I have the freedom to wear my hair long, and the way I want to. So it is someone's right to do what they want. That is the way I have to think. :)

Islandgrrl
December 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
No, I don't feel badly when someone cuts their long hair. I don't get to judge that.

Their hair, their choice!

boomygrrl
December 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't care. I may have my preference, but it's not my hair, so let it be. I know long hair can be a lifestyle for many, but some just don't see it that way. They want to have fun with their hair, try new cuts, new styles, maybe new colors....sometimes it looks weird (in my opinion) and other times it looks great. Whatever floats their boat.

mwedzi
December 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
I don't care that much, but I am a little sad when someone with hair longer than mine and my hair type cuts it off or even relaxes it. I rarely get to see long or big hair that is natural like mine and has the same texture. I like to see what it looks like long and big, what kinds of styles they do, learn how they take care of it. When they no longer have it, I have fewer people to look to. As it is, I can only think of a handful or two of people wearing their hair natural with my texture that is longer than mine. I don't want to lose them.