PDA

View Full Version : When you think it isn't growing (pic heavy)...

jivete
November 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I'm one of those that is forever worrying that my hair is not growing. I can be a little obsessive with pictures and sometimes they prove me right. Or so I think...

The first picture is from early October. I trimmed 1/2" late October and took the second picture a minute ago. It looks much shorter. But if you scroll down...
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/10909-3.jpghttp://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/113009.jpg

The picture below was taken immediately after the one above. I made sure my head was level and pulled the ends together.

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/HPIM2585.jpg

Notice how much longer it looks in the third picture than the second?

It's easy for me to get discouraged by lack of progress, and I'm sure others feel the same way, but I wanted to post this as a reminder that waves, how the hair is laying, if the head is tilted, posture, etc, can really make a difference on how long the hair looks. I'm keeping these pictures side-by-side so next month when I'm lamenting that my hair isn't growing, I can look at these pics and remind myself to chill. :D

SeaShell
November 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
It does look like its grown...I'm the same way too, I think its just hard to tell when its your own hair that you see everyday. Plus its hard to get your head at the same angle in each pic..but believe me there is definitely progress there & it looks shiny & healthy :) congrats!

windinherhair
November 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Last month when I was taking progress pictures, my hair wasn't freshly washed and made it appear thinner since it was sticking together more in certain areas. It really is interesting how any little thing can make your hair appear different in a picture. I only want to take progress pictures on wash day now. :)

Brat
November 30th, 2009, 08:23 PM
That's why I gotta flat iron and try to keep my head level.. otherwise, my hair could be at hip!

jivete
November 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
That's why I gotta flat iron and try to keep my head level.. otherwise, my hair could be at hip!

Well, that's not a bad thing. ;) I do sometimes tilt my head back just to visualize what it will look like around waist.

jivete
November 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
It does look like its grown...I'm the same way too, I think its just hard to tell when its your own hair that you see everyday. Plus its hard to get your head at the same angle in each pic..but believe me there is definitely progress there & it looks shiny & healthy :) congrats!

Thanks! :blossom:

JamieLeigh
December 1st, 2009, 08:18 AM
I can definitely see some growth progress. It is hard to remember that if you don't have stick-straight hair, you might not be seeing your true length progress with each picture. Waves and curls do cause a bit of shrinkage. But at the same time, a lot of people on here don't like to count their straightened length if they wear it wavy and curly most of the time - the straightened length to them feels like they're cheating. It's all about being happy with your own personal journey, no matter what it might look like to someone else. If you're happy and you know it's growing, that should be enough.

:flower: You have amazing hair, and it's growing!

jivete
December 1st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I can definitely see some growth progress. It is hard to remember that if you don't have stick-straight hair, you might not be seeing your true length progress with each picture. Waves and curls do cause a bit of shrinkage. But at the same time, a lot of people on here don't like to count their straightened length if they wear it wavy and curly most of the time - the straightened length to them feels like they're cheating. It's all about being happy with your own personal journey, no matter what it might look like to someone else. If you're happy and you know it's growing, that should be enough.

:flower: You have amazing hair, and it's growing!

Thanks! And I agree. I know how easy it is to forget that waves, whurls and heck, even posture can sabotage the look of new growth. In the 2nd pic, I'm slouching a little and it makes the hair look shorter.

spidermom
December 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Pictures are a really good way to document growth. Also clothing. Every time I put on a certain pair of jeans, I check out where my ends are in comparison to the design on the back pocket.