PDA

View Full Version : on buildup on damaged hair

Isilme
November 30th, 2009, 06:37 PM
This is something I have been thinking about for a very long time. I started here with hair severely damaged from over processing and have had to learn to deal with it. BF has quite damaged hair (virgin, but it has a great deal of damage because he doesn't care about it) When I tried to save my hair and when I care for bf's hair I noticed that damaged hair seems to get buildup quite soon and is picky with what goes on it.
Often you see advise about thick conditioners and oils, but our hairs goes stringy and waxy from all those products. Our hairs like moisture and a little bit of fat, but too much of all those things makes for buildup. It seems like a good old SLS shampoo is needed every wash.

When my hair has gotten healthier it can stand heavier products, more gunk and quite a lot of oil, but bf's hair still get that waxy stringy buildup if I give it too much of something. It make it hard to treat the hair because you have to choose between too much and too little.
I wonder why that is, is there anyone who has this problem too? How did you solve it?

spidermom
November 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
When you have healthy hair, the cuticle is nice and flat. You absorb whatever you need and the rest rubs off on brushes, combs, pillowcases, towels, whatever - whatever your hair touches. When your hair is damaged and porous, the cuticle is not flat and smooth, so it grabs product and hangs onto it.

Firefly
November 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I struggle with this issue as well. I don't think I'll ever fix it... I'm just waiting for the damaged ends to grow out. In the meantime, I've discovered a few things that help:

-mixing up my routine; using different products, some with protein, some without, but using the protein conditioner a bit more often than the non-protein
-avoid heavy oiling; I use only the lightest amount.
-for the most part, avoid silicone (though my hair can stand its use now and then)
-I CWC, but do a full lather and let the rinse run down the length. For a while I was holding the length away when I rinsed the shampoo, but found the gummy build up was worse that way.

Good luck, I hope some of this will help! (Your hair is gorgeous by the way!)

mellie89
November 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have noticed this too. It's pretty obvious when it comes to cones; I used them my whole life with no trouble, but with my fried ends, it only takes a few washes with coney shampoo and conditioner before I need something to clarfiy. I've been avoiding them or just using coney conditioner once in a while.

Damaged hair definitely takes more time and effort to look nice. How ironic that I thought straightening and dyeing my hair would make it prettier, when all I want in the world is my dirty blonde, slightly wavy hair back!